Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Noah » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:51 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:The Copy Vegeta stuff is fantastic, the best development Vegeta has gotten since, I dunno, Namek, and the best part of Super.
That's sure unpopular, care to elaborate that?
FortuneSSJ wrote:I assume this thread is also valid for the fanbase?!
I usually don't find memes funny. Stuff like "It's over 9000!!!", "This isn't even my final form." TFS quotes, etc...is just annoying at this point, but the Ultra Instinct videos that have been popping up on youtube are amusing me.
Saggy and Jerry ones are the funniest :lol:
ABED wrote:Annoying for sure, but cancerous?
It's a trend for people nowadays call everything they despise as "cancer" and that's really annoying.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:01 pm

Noah wrote:
ABED wrote:Annoying for sure, but cancerous?
It's a trend for people nowadays call everything they despise as "cancer" and that's really annoying.
Hyperbole isn't a remotely new phenomenon.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Zephyr wrote:Hyperbole isn't a remotely new phenomenon.
I'm not talking about the hyperbole itself, but comparing things to a tragic disease that slowly destroys people.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:44 pm

Noah wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Hyperbole isn't a remotely new phenomenon.
I'm not talking about the hyperbole itself, but comparing things to a tragic disease that slowly destroys people.
Fair enough. ABED, at least, seems confused by the hyperbole, though.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:59 pm

I'm not confused by the concept of hyperbole. Perhaps some do think memes are detrimental, more than being a simple annoyance, in some respect.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:15 am

Noah wrote:I'm not talking about the hyperbole itself, but comparing things to a tragic disease that slowly destroys people.
Christ, its just a turn of phrase. No worse or more insensitive than "I'm gonna kill you" said in obvious jest. I say this as someone who's lost some very dear loved ones to cancer myself. Lighten up.
ABED wrote:I'm not confused by the concept of hyperbole. Perhaps some do think memes are detrimental, more than being a simple annoyance, in some respect.
You're definitely reading way, way too deeply into my words here.

Though since you've now opened this can of worms, seeing as how there are now certain subsets of Neo Nazi groups who are actively using memes as propaganda and recruitment tools within certain online communities (and garnering success with it to less), I wouldn't exactly call the "cancerous" comparison 100% entirely unwarranted in a more straightforwardly literal sense at this point.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:17 am

I didn't think there was any literal meaning. I didn't think it had anything to do with actual cancer. I thought you meant it like you thought memes were contributing to dwindling of people's attention spans or critical thinking skills, etc. For instance, I think there's a good correlation between the rise of texting and the decline of people's grammar.

As for the propaganda thing, what medium haven't Nazis and neo-nazis (or any group, for that matter) used for propaganda?

Sorry for the digression, but I don't want anyone to think I'm that touchy or can't grasp a hyperbolic statement.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Goku should've been 100% to blame for the Tournament of Power happening, them trying to pussyfoot around it by saying "Oh Zeno, this dumb kid cares enough about the advancement of multiversal civilization to plan a massive eradication but just forgot about it!" annoys the crap out of me.

And don't tell me "Well it was actually DUR GURANDU PRIEST! who wants to do that because he's evil!". You people think Goku's turned into a serial killer the second he smirks, someone smirking or being morally apathetic about death is not the sign of evil.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:41 pm

I honestly find Masaharu Satō to be the best voice that Muten Roshi's ever had. Been a fan since I heard him in DB Kai.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:00 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Goku should've been 100% to blame for the Tournament of Power happening, them trying to pussyfoot around it by saying "Oh Zeno, this dumb kid cares enough about the advancement of multiversal civilization to plan a massive eradication but just forgot about it!" annoys the crap out of me.

And don't tell me "Well it was actually DUR GURANDU PRIEST! who wants to do that because he's evil!". You people think Goku's turned into a serial killer the second he smirks, someone smirking or being morally apathetic about death is not the sign of evil.
Well, he is responsible for reminding Zeno of the tournament. But he accidentally/unknowingly gave the universes a chance to survive. Otherwise, if Goku had NOT reminded Zeno, the 8 universes would have been erased without a second thought.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:27 am

Lunatic Fringe wrote:I honestly find Masaharu Satō to be the best voice that Muten Roshi's ever had. Been a fan since I heard him in DB Kai.
He's definitely a better replacement for Kohei than his actors in GT and Path to Power IMO.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:56 am

Jackalope89 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Goku should've been 100% to blame for the Tournament of Power happening, them trying to pussyfoot around it by saying "Oh Zeno, this dumb kid cares enough about the advancement of multiversal civilization to plan a massive eradication but just forgot about it!" annoys the crap out of me.

Well, he is responsible for reminding Zeno of the tournament. But he accidentally/unknowingly gave the universes a chance to survive. Otherwise, if Goku had NOT reminded Zeno, the 8 universes would have been erased without a second thought.
That's the problem, Goku shouldn't be accidentally giving them a chance, he should be the guy accidentally screwing them over. Him reminding Zeno of some plan he's not even capable of making feels like a round about of avoiding making him to blame for something bad happening.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:36 am

The Manga made this better by deliberately showing zeno about to erase the universes after talking to future zeno before Goku popped in.

And it solves why the future timelines universes didn't get erased because zeno hasn't had another zeno to have the convoy with, he will destroy them further down the line.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:26 am

Buu Kai has the best music selection for the SSJ3 transformation :shifty:

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:20 am

DragonBallKing wrote:Buu Kai has the best music selection for the SSJ3 transformation :shifty:
Personally, I love the Kikuchi score in that particular scene. I also really like the Faulconer Super Saiyan 3 theme (even though I don't care for or like the Faulconer score at all outside of that song). With that said, I kinda agree with you. I don't think Boo Kai has the best music for that scene. But it is definitely just as good as the music used in the Kikuchi score. The only reason I say it isn't better is probaly because I am biased toward the Kikuchi score.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:33 am

Bajosexto wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:Buu Kai has the best music selection for the SSJ3 transformation :shifty:
Personally, I love the Kikuchi score in that particular scene. I also really like the Faulconer Super Saiyan 3 theme (even though I don't care for or like the Faulconer score at all outside of that song). With that said, I kinda agree with you. I don't think Boo Kai has the best music for that scene. But it is definitely just as good as the music used in the Kikuchi score. The only reason I say it isn't better is probaly because I am biased toward the Kikuchi score.
Fo sho, I actually prefer kikuchi overall and find Sumitomo's kai score to be lacking in most areas but the track used for SSJ3 was great.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:26 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:
Fo sho, I actually prefer kikuchi overall and find Sumitomo's kai score to be lacking in most areas but the track used for SSJ3 was great.
For ssj3 transformation, The Kikuchi music is really what makes this scene inifinitely better than it's dub counterpart. There is time without music (during the first shot of his transformation and Kaio-sama's dialogue). There is time when it's tense (during the reaction shots of most of the Z Warriors). There's time when it's dramatic (during the shots of the city being destroyed, Mr. Satan, and Tenshinhan and Chaozu reacting). And finally at the end, the music explodes along with the power of Goku's new form. Much much much better than just blaring the same 6 second loop for 3 minutes straight and absolutely destroying what little it had going for it with some of the goofiest music I've ever heard during the short cut away to Mr Satan.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Sykin

Post by Sykin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:09 am

Super's power scaling actually isn't too bad.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:38 am

Sykin wrote:Super's power scaling actually isn't too bad.
Really? Then why don't you try to make sense with it? :)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Noah wrote:
Sykin wrote:Super's power scaling actually isn't too bad.
Really? Then why don't you try to make sense with it? :)
It's actually really simple, you know how in the movies Toei had people pointlessly hold back just so a transformation can get a big moment? Now, combine that with Z filler having Goku & Vegeta beat Ultimate Gohan & SS3 Gotenks as SS1s inside Boo while also (apparently) being weaker then regular Super Boo and Super's entire fighting system makes a lllloootttt more sense.