Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:08 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I don't know how unpopular this is but I'd like for Steve Blum to get another chance at voicing Goku in something while we're on the subject of his English VAs.
It is unpopular. Personally, I'd like to see him as either Vegeta, Frieza or Piccolo, although it's unlikely that'll ever happen.
If Steve Blum did something like his Orochimaru but less-snake like, he could pull off Freeza.
Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Naruto or its dub, Blum's Orochimaru is fucking awesome. His Starscream/Green Goblin voice could also fit Freeza.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:12 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: And Furukawa as well. Sabat's a good actor, but you just can't beat Furukawa.
There are only a couple of cases where I prefer the dub actor to the Japanese, and Piccolo is one of them. Furukawa is obviously beloved here on Kanzenshuu, but I just don't get it. I mean, I can tell he's a fine actor, but he doesn't sound like a demon, or even just some alien from a far-off planet. He just sounds like some guy. He'd have been better suited to play Kuririn or something.
Not really, Furukawa gives piccolo that raw Alien touch I mean compare it to his other humanly roles and its just that Furukawa's voice of piccolo is more smooth than Scott or Sabat but still he doesn't really sound like a normal guy. I mean try watching his Fight Against Son Gokū in 23rd Tenkaichi Tournament and just listen to that sinister Demon laugh and screams of him,no dub actor comes close.
I have watched their fight, and I don't really know what to say. I just don't hear it like you guys do.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:48 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: There are only a couple of cases where I prefer the dub actor to the Japanese, and Piccolo is one of them. Furukawa is obviously beloved here on Kanzenshuu, but I just don't get it. I mean, I can tell he's a fine actor, but he doesn't sound like a demon, or even just some alien from a far-off planet. He just sounds like some guy. He'd have been better suited to play Kuririn or something.
Not really, Furukawa gives piccolo that raw Alien touch I mean compare it to his other humanly roles and its just that Furukawa's voice of piccolo is more smooth than Scott or Sabat but still he doesn't really sound like a normal guy. I mean try watching his Fight Against Son Gokū in 23rd Tenkaichi Tournament and just listen to that sinister Demon laugh and screams of him,no dub actor comes close.
I have watched their fight, and I don't really know what to say. I just don't hear it like you guys do.
Fair enough, but I don't understand how you can hear "demon" in Sabat's perormance either. Sabat's old Piccolo was a constipated Ogre and his new Piccolo is just his speaking voice but even deeper, sure It fit's the stoic attitude but I don't hear anything that I don't in Furukawa. McNeal is the only voice that I would consider demonic.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:20 pm

The more I dissect and think about Battle of Gods across the media (movie, Super, manga) Super is the superior product but movie wins in art and animation.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:54 pm

MaskedRider wrote:The more I dissect and think about Battle of Gods across the media (movie, Super, manga) Super is the superior product but movie wins in art and animation.
Wouldn't that be a no brainer?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:57 pm

Kanassa wrote:
MaskedRider wrote:The more I dissect and think about Battle of Gods across the media (movie, Super, manga) Super is the superior product but movie wins in art and animation.
Not for me, BoG the movie is the only thing that's worked out of the new stuff.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:58 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
MaskedRider wrote: movie wins in art and animation.
I mean as in the movie having better art and animation, you'd expect the product with a bigger budget and higher production values to have superior animation to a TV Show

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Wouldn't that be a no brainer?
I mean as in the movie having better art and animation, you'd expect the product with a bigger budget and higher production values to have superior animation to a TV Show
I meant as a story it majoratively works as a pretty good piece of Dragon Balls franchise.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:13 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Not for me, BoG the movie is the only thing that's worked out of the new stuff.
I meant as a story it majoratively works as a pretty good piece of Dragon Balls franchise.
Yeah, and that had nothing to do with my comment...

Kanassa wrote:

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:27 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Not really, Furukawa gives piccolo that raw Alien touch I mean compare it to his other humanly roles and its just that Furukawa's voice of piccolo is more smooth than Scott or Sabat but still he doesn't really sound like a normal guy. I mean try watching his Fight Against Son Gokū in 23rd Tenkaichi Tournament and just listen to that sinister Demon laugh and screams of him,no dub actor comes close.
Fair enough, but I don't understand how you can hear "demon" in Sabat's perormance either. Sabat's old Piccolo was a constipated Ogre and his new Piccolo is just his speaking voice but even deeper, sure It fit's the stoic attitude but I don't hear anything that I don't in Furukawa. McNeal is the only voice that I would consider demonic.
Actually Furukawa's Taunting Laugh in Fight against Son Gokū in 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi is more like a Demonic Laugh.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:38 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: I have watched their fight, and I don't really know what to say. I just don't hear it like you guys do.
Actually Furukawa's Taunting Laugh in Fight against Son Gokū in 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi is more like a Demonic Laugh.
I take it back, he sounds pretty demonic in power ups like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azCpQ-hbPyw
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Wakamoto's Cell performance in Dragon Ball Z is the best in the entire franchise from a pure acting standpoint. The more I listen to his voice, the more I love it.

Nakao and Nozawa are second, not first anymore as they were before for me.
I have a hard time choosing a favorite performance in Japanese Z. They're so good.
For me the top three would be:

1. Nozawa
2. Nakao
3. Yanami

In that order.

Wakamoto is up there though, particular for those Kame Hame Ha scenes.
If I had to do a top 10 list, it would be in no particular order:

Nozawa
Nakao
Wakamoto
Shioya
Horikawa
Furukawa
Yanami
Gori
Suzuoki
Tsuru
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:25 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:If I had to do a top 10 list, it would be in no particular order:

Nozawa
Nakao
Wakamoto
Shioya
Horikawa
Furukawa
Yanami
Gori
Suzuoki
Tsuru
I agree with list, though I think Shimada deserves an entry.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:41 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I have a hard time choosing a favorite performance in Japanese Z. They're so good.

1. Nozawa
2. Nakao
3. Yanami

In that order.

Nozawa
Nakao
Wakamoto
Shioya
Horikawa
Furukawa
Yanami
Gori
Suzuoki
Tsuru
Atleast someone recognizes the Talent of Kozo Shioya. I mean that Seiyū voiced all forms of Boo flawlessly and here in dub they needed 2 Voice actors to do that still neither of them did it better than Kozo. From changing is Tone from Goofy fat boo to furious boo or making the voice gruffer and deeper in Super Boo form or totally crazy voice for Kid Boo, Kozo Shioya literally owns Boo. Also it might be a very unpopular opinion but I think the Dub voice for Fat Boo is the worst voice ever, Josh Martin does a horrible voice for Fat boo and its still annoying in Kai TFC Dub.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:57 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

1. Nozawa
2. Nakao
3. Yanami

In that order.

Nozawa
Nakao
Wakamoto
Shioya
Horikawa
Furukawa
Yanami
Gori
Suzuoki
Tsuru
Atleast someone recognizes the Talent of Kozo Shioya. I mean that Seiyū voiced all forms of Boo flawlessly and here in dub they needed 2 Voice actors to do that still neither of them did it better than Kozo. From changing is Tone from Goofy fat boo to furious boo or making the voice gruffer and deeper in Super Boo form or totally crazy voice for Kid Boo, Kozo Shioya literally owns Boo. Also it might be a very unpopular opinion but I think the Dub voice for Fat Boo is the worst voice ever, Josh Martin does a horrible voice for Fat boo and its still annoying in Kai TFC Dub.
I don't think Buu having the worst voice in the dub is an unpopular opinion. Personally, I can't decide who's worse: Martin's Buu, Sabat's Recoome or Schemmel's Kaio. Sometimes I wish they could get Frank Welker to voice Buu, he'd be easily better than all English Buus and could pull all of his three forms. Unfortunately he's too expensive.

Anyway, here's an unpopular opinion: Yanami's Kaio at his worst is still better than Schemmel's Kaio at his best.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: If I had to do a top 10 list, it would be in no particular order:

Nozawa
Nakao
Wakamoto
Shioya
Horikawa
Furukawa
Yanami
Gori
Suzuoki
Tsuru
I don't think Buu having the worst voice in the dub is an unpopular opinion. Personally, I can't decide who's worse: Martin's Buu, Sabat's Recoome or Schemmel's Kaio. Sometimes I wish they could get Frank Welker to voice Buu, he'd be easily better than all English Buus. Unfortunately he's too expensive.
I think Robbie Rist the English Voice of Choji from Naruto could have done a better Fat Boo than the Torture that Martin's Fat Boo is, David Kaye is a lot better Reacoom than Sabat's cringe inducing Reacoom, Doc Morgan should have taken over The Voice of Kaiō from DBZ Kai onwards and yes it's highly unlikely that FUNimation would go on hiring Frank Welker.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:18 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Atleast someone recognizes the Talent of Kozo Shioya. I mean that Seiyū voiced all forms of Boo flawlessly and here in dub they needed 2 Voice actors to do that still neither of them did it better than Kozo. From changing is Tone from Goofy fat boo to furious boo or making the voice gruffer and deeper in Super Boo form or totally crazy voice for Kid Boo, Kozo Shioya literally owns Boo. Also it might be a very unpopular opinion but I think the Dub voice for Fat Boo is the worst voice ever, Josh Martin does a horrible voice for Fat boo and its still annoying in Kai TFC Dub.
I don't think Buu having the worst voice in the dub is an unpopular opinion. Personally, I can't decide who's worse: Martin's Buu, Sabat's Recoome or Schemmel's Kaio. Sometimes I wish they could get Frank Welker to voice Buu, he'd be easily better than all English Buus. Unfortunately he's too expensive.
I think Robbie Rist the English Voice of Choji from Naruto could have done a better Fat Boo than the Torture that Martin's Fat Boo is, David Kaye is a lot better Reacoom than Sabat's cringe inducing Reacoom, Doc Morgan should have taken over The Voice of Kaiō from DBZ Kai onwards and yes it's highly unlikely that FUNimation would go on hiring Frank Welker.
That...would fit Buu actually. Good choice.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:34 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I don't think Buu having the worst voice in the dub is an unpopular opinion. Personally, I can't decide who's worse: Martin's Buu, Sabat's Recoome or Schemmel's Kaio. Sometimes I wish they could get Frank Welker to voice Buu, he'd be easily better than all English Buus. Unfortunately he's too expensive.
thats my problem with FUNimation casting they are just unwilling to cast the old voices like Kaiō or Fat Boo's Even if it is unbearable.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:49 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: I think Robbie Rist the English Voice of Choji from Naruto could have done a better Fat Boo than the Torture that Martin's Fat Boo is, David Kaye is a lot better Reacoom than Sabat's cringe inducing Reacoom, Doc Morgan should have taken over The Voice of Kaiō from DBZ Kai onwards and yes it's highly unlikely that FUNimation would go on hiring Frank Welker.
thats my problem with FUNimation casting they are just unwilling to cast the old voices like Kaiō or Fat Boo's Even if it is unbearable.
You mean recasting.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:43 am

Unpopular opinion?

Goten could and should matter more than the series allows him to do.

Or maybe the unpopular part isn't the logic, but that a good number of people don't care.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.