Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by PFM18 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:50 pm

nosferatu wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
Thanks lol
Oh well, good ol' Tori I still luv you lol
nosferatu wrote:Another fan service akira didt even knew who broly is, but toei said hes a fav. so lets make a movie easy cash. i respect toei for their business sense.
ofc they go for a popular character, I don't mind fanservice if it's well made, and judging from the teaser I find hard not to be hyped because all seems to deliver : it's a new Broly, the art is reminiscent to the pre-Super era, Saiyajin lore, all in all very promising so I do not get the negative attitude from this lol
PFM18 wrote: I mean, while certainly the best fights of Super take place in the last two arcs, there are several good fights in the first 3 arcs. Also, I am not saying this strictly from an animation perspective.

Beerus vs Goku
Cabba vs Vegeta
Hit vs Goku

Are 3 fights that I thought were really good.
I agree those are really good fights but it still is too few and I find it an exaggeration to say Super's fights "in general" are that good lol
Okay again

why do you need a lol in every sentence? insecure?
Why do you care? Why do you need to be so rude for no reason and accuse him of being insecure?

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:53 pm

PFM18 wrote:
nosferatu wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
Thanks lol
Oh well, good ol' Tori I still luv you lol

ofc they go for a popular character, I don't mind fanservice if it's well made, and judging from the teaser I find hard not to be hyped because all seems to deliver : it's a new Broly, the art is reminiscent to the pre-Super era, Saiyajin lore, all in all very promising so I do not get the negative attitude from this lol

I agree those are really good fights but it still is too few and I find it an exaggeration to say Super's fights "in general" are that good lol
Okay again

why do you need a lol in every sentence? insecure?
Why do you care? Why do you need to be so rude for no reason and accuse him of being insecure?
Why do you care? I dont asked you. Since when is it rude to ask a question but nevermind dont even reply to me thanks.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:40 pm

The insecure part of your post can be deemed as rude, but nah mate I'm just a cheerful fellow but that's not really interesting to discuss is it lol

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Am I the only one that doesn't mind pre-TOP Super's art style? Bad animation days aside, I still like it & think it's a decent representation of what modern DB would look like had Toriyama's artstyle continue to evolve, which it kinda has anyways, if the DB manga had continued. I mean, just look at One Piece, which has a similar artstyle, or any other long-running manga/anime series. That being said, I still do like Z's artsyle more & appreciate the upcoming Broly movie for doing a throwback to it by changing its artstyle. Hope if Super comes back, or if they start another series, it retains that style, but if not, I'm fine with the prior style.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:15 pm

What is a top?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:44 pm

nosferatu wrote:What is a top?
Super's Tournament of Power arc.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:55 pm

One of the most boring&meaningless arcs I have ever seen(yes says the GT Fan)
GT Fighter

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:36 am

GT_Goten10 wrote: (yes says the GT Fan)
You knew that was coming :D :D :D :D :D :D

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:04 am

PFM18 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote: (yes says the GT Fan)
You knew that was coming :D :D :D :D :D :D
Of course :D
GT Fighter

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:31 am

I suppose my 'unpopular opinion' would be that I find it tiresome how territorial some DB fans become over their favourite features - whether that's a style of animation, a musical score, the portrayal of a certain character or the content of a particular storyline. To me, DB/Z/GT/Super and their various English dubs (UK based here) all have interesting features that I treasure. They all have flaws, but I cannot bring myself to hate on them. I find the Faulconer score brings on a wave of nostalgia; the Garlic. Jr saga has some interesting moments; I could watch an entire arc based on slice-of-life; you get the picture.

Dragon Ball is one big package to me and its diversity in content is to be celebrated, not hated. Not every single thing will be for everyone but I have never understood fans who go on pathological rants about palette changes or other superficial features. I am just delighted that after 18 years of being a fan, it still grabs me and I see things in new ways even to this day. Basically, my opinions are summarised effectively in "The Impact of Dragon Ball Z - The Series That Changed It All" YouTube video by Super Eyepatch Wolf.
"You know it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile?"
"...you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone?"

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:23 am

GT_Goten10 wrote:
One of the most boring&meaningless arcs I have ever seen(yes says the GT Fan)
Thanks, well no surprise.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:17 am

ABED wrote:
yes he maybe innocent but as an adult he is wiser, more mature and can kill his opponents with a sane state of mind unlike the massacre he used to cause as a kid like in Red Ribbon Army arc or killing Mazoku clan members out of revenge, also as an adult he learned to make tough decisions like stopping Gohan from helping Piccolo against First Form Cell or saving Satan and Dende instead of his sons when kid boo is trying to destroy the planet.
You call that a massacre, but Goku had every reason to take down the RRA and go after the Mazoku. He may have been in a rage, but he wasn't out of his mind. I still don't see how he's bland as a youngster. He stands out in a crowd. He has a very distinct personality. And for all the supposedly mature decisions you listed, I can think of plenty of reckless ones he made during the same time period.
okay, calling him bland in kid self was a stretch. but, still he used to not think much over killing a person. he was willing to kill Blooma too until she revealed that she isn't a monster and even told Officer Black to go to police guy since he only knew that "all bad guys should go to bad guy" and things like assuming someone is a bad guy from how he perceived him. as an adult he just got wiser and smarter and used to think twice when trying to kill someone compared to his kid self where he is a killing machine even if he was right still he would show less mercy than the one we saw from 23rd Tenka'ichi Budokai. Yes as an Adult he can make reckless choices but that's goku for you, in DBZ he got more Saiyan like and as he started seeing strong guys obviously his crave for fighting them would increase but still most of his decisions in Z were more thought out then the ones as a kid.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:20 am

Black WAS a bad guy. He was at that point the head of the RRA. You can't really blame Goku for thinking Bulma was a monster. He had contact with literally one other person in his life to that point. Of course he got wiser as he got older, but I dont' think we should hold his ignorance as a kid against the character. Part of the joy of the series is watching characters grow.

He wasn't more merciful as an adult. And he didn't fight indiscriminantly. He attacked the RRA base for good reason.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:50 pm

-Goku Vs General Rilldo is One of the best looking fights in the franchise.
GT Fighter

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:25 pm

I love Roshi revival on t.o.p arc , both anime manga . I understand it has no sense after that many years , but this is fiction , it’s allowed and I don’t care about the rest
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:25 pm

Norihito Sumitomo is my favorite Dragon Ball composer and I enjoy almost all of his work(yes even Kai TFC).

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:37 am

ABED wrote:Black WAS a bad guy. He was at that point the head of the RRA. You can't really blame Goku for thinking Bulma was a monster. He had contact with literally one other person in his life to that point. Of course he got wiser as he got older, but I dont' think we should hold his ignorance as a kid against the character. Part of the joy of the series is watching characters grow.

He wasn't more merciful as an adult. And he didn't fight indiscriminantly. He attacked the RRA base for good reason.
again, i never find him bland as a kid and he is charming both as a kid and as an adult but as you said, we can't hold his ignorance against society but that's what my point is. as an adult after training with Kami he was able to control his emotions a lot better and he does become softer after his training with Kami that's why Shen too said that he is too soft to kill Piccolo, he showed the same soft heartedness against his brother by letting go off his tail despite knowing he is a bad guy. even in Namek Arc, unlike his kid self who literally kill Tambourine and Drum, Goku spears Ginyu Force and Vegeta even told him about how soft his heart is and he can't beat Freeza with such a soft heart that's why he learns to get ruthless against Freeza when going Super Saiyan and has killing intentions against freeza and later on he motivated Gohan to kill Cell too, he himself doesn't hesitate to kill Yakon and Kid Boo too.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:59 am

Son Goku is a naive idiot one dimensional character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:10 am

He's no softer as an adult. He doesn't kill Piccolo for the reason Kami claims. That was conjecture. Goku spares Piccolo because he wants someone to keep him on his toes. Goku kills Yakon like he was nothing. He's not against killing peons. Of course Vegeta considers Goku soft. Anyone who isn't a ruthless bastard like him would seem so by comparison, but killing demons like Tambourine isn't hard hearted. It should be noted that Goku tried to let Black go just like Raditz. He hasn't changed. He wasn't ruthless against Freeza when he goes Super Saiyan because he learned anything. He was brutal because he was full of rage.

I find this claim that he changes to be ridiculous. Why would that change not be pointed out? Every major change the characters make is made not only explicit, it's given focus.

And let me get this straight, you think Goku is ruthless when he was younger, grows more merciful only to revert to what he was at the beginning of the story?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:03 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:I don’t know how unpopular this is but: Tenkaichi 2> Tenkaichi 3
Most people say: Story mode: BT2 > BT3 and Gameplay: BT3 > BT2

And I agree with it. Story mode was far better in BT2 and not so rushed, but fighting mechanics and roster was better in BT3.
I mean it was dumb that BT2 didn't have GT Goku in his base/SSJ/SSJ3 forms while having Baby in his SSJ form and his Super Baby 1 form that he never really used.
But it was also dumb that BT1 had Vegeta SSJ4 and Gogeta SSJ4 but didn't have Omega Shenron lol. He had to be introduced in BT2.
I also like that they added characters like kid Chichi, Arale, Android 8, Fasha or Nuova Shenron.
The thing with BT2 story mode is that can get you annoyed very fast with all that loading screens and bringing the character to the exactly spot of the battle, the RPG mode is good and could been improved in BT3. That R3 commando to skip parts of the battle where you don't need to K.O the enemy was a nice update for the story progress.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?