Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gog
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gog » Fri May 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Noah wrote:The only thing that I dislike about the Red Ribbon arc is how Goku defeat then so easily and by himself. The perfect finale of this arc would be all the gang together in this
task, I can see all of them being useful on this, not just Goku.
You don't dislike the fact that large parts of the arc focuses on Goku by his lonesome?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri May 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Gog wrote:You don't dislike the fact that large parts of the arc focuses on Goku by his lonesome?
Not much, cause I saw that as a development to his character: doing stuff on his own, interacting with new people, but I was expecting a different finale. A shame that Goku never met Commander Red after all.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat May 20, 2017 2:14 am

Noah wrote:
Gog wrote:You don't dislike the fact that large parts of the arc focuses on Goku by his lonesome?
Not much, cause I saw that as a development to his character: doing stuff on his own, interacting with new people, but I was expecting a different finale. A shame that Goku never met Commander Red after all.
Eh, I had a problem with him being on his lonesome considering that he's a boring character when he's not in a group. Honestly, I would have preferred if Commander Red revealed his goals half way through the arc. Black was just a wasted character on all accounts.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 20, 2017 2:20 am

Gog wrote:
Noah wrote:
Eh, I had a problem with him being on his lonesome considering that he's a boring character when he's not in a group. Honestly, I would have preferred if Commander Red revealed his goals half way through the arc. Black was just a wasted character on all accounts.
I think the absurdity of Red's goal works better at the very end.

You find Goku boring, but I don't. I think Goku's tireless pursuit of greatness to be a really interesting characteristic.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat May 20, 2017 2:25 am

ABED wrote:
Gog wrote:
Noah wrote:
I think the absurdity of Red's goal works better at the very end.

You find Goku boring, but I don't. I think Goku's tireless pursuit of greatness to be a really interesting characteristic.
I know, but Black is just wasted that's all. It would have been best if he were to survive.

I don't find Goku boring, I find Kid Goku boring. He's a more toned down version of his adult character.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:28 am

Joji Yanami wasn't as good as Kaio as people claim he was. I liked him very much as the narrator, but I always thought that Kaio should be more animated than how he voiced him. The way he was depicted in the anime was always extremely emotional and bombastic, however I thought that Yanami never quite captured this in his performance as Kaio.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 20, 2017 2:44 am

I know, but Black is just wasted that's all. It would have been best if he were to survive.
I don't really care about Black or Red for that matter, so I'm not broken up by the lack of usage.
I don't find Goku boring, I find Kid Goku boring. He's a more toned down version of his adult character.
He's the exact same character.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat May 20, 2017 3:28 am

ABED wrote: He's the exact same character.
They really arent the same character. Adult Goku is far more selfish, and battle hungry.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:48 am

Gog wrote:
They really aren't the same character. Adult Goku is far more selfish, and battle hungry.
Kid Goku is far more bashful and emotional than his older counterpart. Kid Goku jumped to revenge and senseless violence far more easily that his adult counterpart does.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 20, 2017 4:19 am

Gog wrote:
They really arent the same character. Adult Goku is far more selfish, and battle hungry.
I completely disagree. He doesn't become more "selfish" at all. He's always the same guy. Maybe circumstances change, but he doesn't. He's always battle hungry, but the biggest difference is the scope of the battles.
Kid Goku is far more bashful and emotional than his older counterpart. Kid Goku jumped to revenge and senseless violence far more easily that his adult counterpart does.
For instance? What moment in DBZ shows that he wouldn't have done the same thing when he was an adult? In DBZ, he does act emotionally when Kuririn is killed and jumps to get revenge. And when was Goku bashful? Senseless violence?

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat May 20, 2017 4:30 am

ABED wrote: I completely disagree. He doesn't become more "selfish" at all. He's always the same guy. Maybe circumstances change, but he doesn't. He's always battle hungry, but the biggest difference is the scope of the battles.
Kuririn dying by the hands of Tambourine, and him dying by the hands of Freeza is always what I would consider a good comparison of the differences between adult and kid Goku.

When he's a kid he's completely hell bent on killing Tambourine no matter the cost, but with Freeza he starts to enjoy the battle, and in the end, ends up sparing him. Officer Black's another good comparison. Goku killed him because he was bad guy, but come Vegeta and he let him go because he provided him a good fight. Goku's far more selfish than when he was a child.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 20, 2017 5:02 am

Tambourine is a lackey. The only reason he didn't beat him the first time is because he was hungry and exhausted from battle. Freeza was not a lackey. He was an emperor. The circumstances are different. Goku was also going to let Tao Pai Pai go even after he killed Bora. He's not that different. Everything you mentioned isn't a difference in character, it's a difference in circumstance. Had Black provided a good fight, he might have spared him. Hell, he would've spared him had Black not tried to kill him.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat May 20, 2017 5:10 am

ABED wrote:Tambourine is a lackey. The only reason he didn't beat him the first time is because he was hungry and exhausted from battle. Freeza was not a lackey. He was an emperor. The circumstances are different. Goku was also going to let Tao Pai Pai go even after he killed Bora. He's not that different. Everything you mentioned isn't a difference in character, it's a difference in circumstance. Had Black provided a good fight, he might have spared him. Hell, he would've spared him had Black not tried to kill him.
And why does that matter? When Goku killed Tambourine it was the same circumstances as when he fought Freeza. Kuririn had been killed, so Goku out of rage killed the murderer of his friend, except with Freeza he didn't. He's not that different I agree, he's just far more exaggerated than his Child Version. Which provides a more interesting character.

And, Goku wasn't aware that Black was a bad guy, and he was going to spare Tao Pai Pai because he promised (lied) about becoming a good guy. Completely different with his behavior in later Dragon Ball.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:52 am

ABED wrote:
MrWalnut4 wrote:Kid Goku is far more bashful and emotional than his older counterpart. Kid Goku jumped to revenge and senseless violence far more easily that his adult counterpart does.
For instance? What moment in DBZ shows that he wouldn't have done the same thing when he was an adult? In DBZ, he does act emotionally when Kuririn is killed and jumps to get revenge. And when was Goku bashful? Senseless violence?
The example of him irrationally running to get revenge for Kuririn in DB vs him showing restraint with Piccolo vs Cell jumps to mind. He very much matured and was able to control his urges as an adult compared to him as a child. As a child he acted solely on his emotional reactions whereas his adult counterpart considered the whole picture and was more level headed in his decisions.
Last edited by MrWalnut4 on Sat May 20, 2017 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 20, 2017 5:59 am

MrWalnut4 wrote:
ABED wrote:
MrWlnut4 wrote:Kid Goku is far more bashful and emotional than his older counterpart. Kid Goku jumped to revenge and senseless violence far more easily that his adult counterpart does.
The example of him irrationally running to get revenge for Kuririn in DB vs him showing restraint with Piccolo vs Cell jumps to mind. He very much matured and was able to control his urges as an adult compared to him as a child. As a child he acted solely on his emotional reactions whereas his adult counterpart considered the whole picture and was more level headed in his decisions.
First, Kuririn is his BEST friend and he saw his dead body. It's a different circumstance. Even if I agreed with you on this circumstance, he matured a little. That's not a radically different character.
And why does that matter? When Goku killed Tambourine it was the same circumstances as when he fought Freeza. Kuririn had been killed, so Goku out of rage killed the murderer of his friend, except with Freeza he didn't. He's not that different I agree, he's just far more exaggerated than his Child Version. Which provides a more interesting character.

And, Goku wasn't aware that Black was a bad guy, and he was going to spare Tao Pai Pai because he promised (lied) about becoming a good guy. Completely different with his behavior in later Dragon Ball.
It absolutely mattered. Tambourine was nothing compared to Goku when he was full powered. Freeza was still incredibly strong. He's not a lackey. He gave Goku a great fight whereas Tambourine didn't. He was aware that Goku was a bad guy when Black tried to kill him. And it's not different with Tao Pai Pai. He was just as enraged as he was when Kuririn died both times but was able to calm down when he was in control. He's not that different. Same character but in some different circumstances.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:08 am

ABED wrote:
MrWalnut4 wrote:
ABED wrote: For instance? What moment in DBZ shows that he wouldn't have done the same thing when he was an adult? In DBZ, he does act emotionally when Kuririn is killed and jumps to get revenge. And when was Goku bashful? Senseless violence?
First, Kuririn is his BEST friend and he saw his dead body. It's a different circumstance. Even if I agreed with you on this circumstance, he matured a little. That's not a radically different character.
True, but his reaction to essentially the same circumstance was entirely different. Piccolo wasn't his best friend and he didn't see his dead body, but I doubt that would have made a difference considering when you factor in the events of the Buu arc, where Kuririn was essentially dead and hanging in the balance, and Goku still treated fighting Dabura as a game. Literally the same circumstance, but a very different, more level headed reaction from Goku where he considered a fair fight over the lives of his friends. That is completely different from DB Goku. Comparing how he reacted in BD with the death of Kuririn to how he reacted in the Buu arc shows a substantial amount of growth and change in his character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 20, 2017 6:38 am

Kuririn was not essentially dead. He was turned to stone and he could be brought back. He is NOT completely different. It's also a different circumstance. The goal was not merely to revive Kuririn or get revenge. Kaioshin told him before they entered the ship not to touch stone Kuririn and Piccolo because they can be revived. It's very telling that you pick out a very extraordinary circumstance in early DB and imply that's indicative of his entire character. Goku was also sure that his team could defeat Dabura.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun May 21, 2017 5:03 pm

The Cell Games is one of the uglier settings for a final fight the franchise has had. Made more bland and forgetful when compared to the beauty that was Namek.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Namek, BEAUTIFUL? Really, REALLY?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

RainMaker6879

Post by RainMaker6879 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:18 pm

I consider GT to be the true sequel to Z. (This does not mean I hate or dislike Super but I like GT a lot better.)