Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:12 pm

I like Sabat in the role once he got rid of the surfer accent, which in all fairness was what he was directed to do.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Sexyphobe

Post by Sexyphobe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:43 pm

ABED wrote:Friendship, believing in your self, not giving up, etc. aren't tropes of Shonen action manga/anime. They are universal concepts that like anything else in fiction, depend on execution. Cynicism in fiction is just as bad if the execution is awful.
Cynicism in general is awful and annoying.
The anti-sexist

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Sexyphobe wrote:
ABED wrote:Friendship, believing in your self, not giving up, etc. aren't tropes of Shonen action manga/anime. They are universal concepts that like anything else in fiction, depend on execution. Cynicism in fiction is just as bad if the execution is awful.
All other things being equal, I agree.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Sexyphobe

Post by Sexyphobe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:00 pm

ABED wrote:
Sexyphobe wrote:
All other things being equal, I agree.
All other things being equal?
The anti-sexist

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:05 pm

All other things being equal?
Yeah, a show can be full of cynicism, but that doesn't preclude it from being funny or well written and entertaining. A cynical show can be more entertaining than a positive and upbeat show.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:48 pm

While cynicism is a bad thing, doesn't meant that characters that are cynical can't be interesting. Look at Batman. While he's a cynical character, he's interesting.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:37 pm

The Great Saiyaman isn't funny or that interesting. The gimmick has its moments but that's about it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:41 pm

ABED wrote:The Great Saiyaman isn't funny or that interesting. The gimmick has its moments but that's about it.
I like it because it's a step-up from what Gohan was in the Cell arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:The Great Saiyaman isn't funny or that interesting. The gimmick has its moments but that's about it.
In what way?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:55 pm

ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
In what way?
He's not as lifeless; he actually has something he wants to do instead of feeling conflicted all the time.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Good point, but I still don't think it's funny or interesting.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:04 pm

I never found the "over 9000" joke funny. I mean it's a versatile meme but I don't see what makes it funny, maybe it was Drumond's over the top delivery.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:35 am

ABED wrote:Good point, but I still don't think it's funny or interesting.
Its better than the generic Hero gohan became later in the series.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:53 am

Why is he generic?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:11 am

I'm pretty sure this one is an unpopular opinion: the end of the Freeza Arc absolutely falls apart. Completely. In every conceivable way. And bear in mind I'm referring to the manga as the anime changes a few of these. Goku demonstrates the ability to stabilize Freeza after he's been cut in half, and all it takes is firing a ki blast at him. It's a skill with no explanation, which is never seen again, but which should completely change how the Dragon World works. Kuririn is saved by having his soul transported to Earth, which makes exactly zero sense based on how death has been shown to work prior to this point. The conclusion of the arc is rushed through and handled entirely through narration boxes. The payoff to the whole reason they went to Namek in the first place is never seen. And that's probably because a third of the final chapter is used to set up that Freeza is still alive. Usually I like when the end of an arc sets up the next arc, but after such a long time with Freeza, we're allowed to believe he's dead for only two weeks before he oh-so-shockingly comes back again.

Upon reflection, the ending to the Freeza Arc is the worst ending in the series.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:53 am

ABED wrote:
OhHiRenan wrote:
ABED wrote:I don't get what the problem is regarding the friendship issue.
I'm assuming because it's an overused and tired trips. The power of friendship's been done to death. At this point, if it's going to be done, it needs to be done interestingly.
It's like a version of the grandmother lifting a car up to save her grandchild. Like anything, it all depends on execution. There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea.
I totally agree, friendship used as a motivating factor is like any story device, it can or cannot work. The thing is, most Shonen series absolutely suck massive amounts of dung when they do it. More often then not it becomes a cheat code where people who should've died 20 times over even in the context of super powered action series suddenly become more powerful then ever to one shot a bad guy. Or it turns into a really monotonous rallying cry where every single character ever submits to "Friendship is #1 this year all years!" robbing people of potentially interesting motivations or ways to achieve the same goal as the protagonist because the protagonists special IE shitty, vapid motivation and world view, must win above all others no matter how pants shitingly stupid it is.

Literally the only Shonen series I've read in recent memory that executed this right was Fullmetal Alchemist. My Hero Academia, while really good in a lot of respects, takes a massive quality nose dive when it's relentlessly fast pacing has 20 speeches about determination and friendship per chapter smash you over the face.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:26 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:I'm pretty sure this one is an unpopular opinion: the end of the Freeza Arc absolutely falls apart. Completely. In every conceivable way. And bear in mind I'm referring to the manga as the anime changes a few of these. Goku demonstrates the ability to stabilize Freeza after he's been cut in half, and all it takes is firing a ki blast at him. It's a skill with no explanation, which is never seen again, but which should completely change how the Dragon World works. Kuririn is saved by having his soul transported to Earth, which makes exactly zero sense based on how death has been shown to work prior to this point. The conclusion of the arc is rushed through and handled entirely through narration boxes. The payoff to the whole reason they went to Namek in the first place is never seen. And that's probably because a third of the final chapter is used to set up that Freeza is still alive. Usually I like when the end of an arc sets up the next arc, but after such a long time with Freeza, we're allowed to believe he's dead for only two weeks before he oh-so-shockingly comes back again.

Upon reflection, the ending to the Freeza Arc is the worst ending in the series.
I don't think the ending is rushed. Wishing their friends back isn't the climax. It was the impetus for their journey but it's not the climax - defeating Freeza is. That's just the wrap up. I can't imagine spending any more time with it than we actually do. Once Freeza is defeated, it's fait accompli that they will wish their friends back. Peace is restored, there's no more conflict. I can't recall how it's done in the manga, but it works well in the anime.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:24 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:I never found the "over 9000" joke funny. I mean it's a versatile meme but I don't see what makes it funny, maybe it was Drumond's over the top delivery.
It is Drummond's delivery that makes people think it's funny.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:52 pm

ABED wrote:I don't think the ending is rushed. Wishing their friends back isn't the climax. It was the impetus for their journey but it's not the climax - defeating Freeza is. That's just the wrap up. I can't imagine spending any more time with it than we actually do. Once Freeza is defeated, it's fait accompli that they will wish their friends back. Peace is restored, there's no more conflict. I can't recall how it's done in the manga, but it works well in the anime.
I never claimed it was the climax. But it deserves something, and the manga gives it nothing. Look at the Piccolo Arc. It doesn't dwell too heavily on the resurrections, but it at least addresses it. It's a nice montage, it captures the emotions, and it even gives moments to minor characters like Namu and Giran. In the Freeza Arc, we get absolutely nothing but a re-used cityscape image with the back of Porunga while a narration caption devotes a couple of sentences to it. That is not in any way satisfying. The anime does address the emotion by actually showing the dead people coming back to life, but that creates a new inconsistency since they shouldn't have been able to just instantly re-appear on earth. The anime does fix the pacing problems because it actually does give the story a conclusion. We see peace restored. And as much as I hate the Garlic Jr. arc, it does provide a reasonable amount of time between Freeza's defeat and Freeza's return. In the manga, it is literally all in the same chapter. The resurrections (that we don't see), the relocation of the Namekians (that we don't see), the peace (that we don't see), and the return of Freeza. That's all in the same chapter.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:20 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I'm pretty sure this one is an unpopular opinion: the end of the Freeza Arc absolutely falls apart. Completely. In every conceivable way. And bear in mind I'm referring to the manga as the anime changes a few of these. Goku demonstrates the ability to stabilize Freeza after he's been cut in half, and all it takes is firing a ki blast at him. It's a skill with no explanation, which is never seen again, but which should completely change how the Dragon World works. Kuririn is saved by having his soul transported to Earth, which makes exactly zero sense based on how death has been shown to work prior to this point. The conclusion of the arc is rushed through and handled entirely through narration boxes. The payoff to the whole reason they went to Namek in the first place is never seen. And that's probably because a third of the final chapter is used to set up that Freeza is still alive. Usually I like when the end of an arc sets up the next arc, but after such a long time with Freeza, we're allowed to believe he's dead for only two weeks before he oh-so-shockingly comes back again.

I get the feeling you're going to end up ranking the Freeza Arc as your least favorite one in the series on DBD.