Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:20 pm

Dead Yamcha was never funny and for the life of me I will never understand how it grew to be so popular that the idea of Yamcha being a joke has transitioned into official material. Being written to be embarrassed by the new threat is completely different from being a "joke Character" or Comic Relief, which Yamcha was never meant to be.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:38 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:Dead Yamcha was never funny and for the life of me I will never understand how it grew to be so popular that the idea of Yamcha being a joke has transitioned into official material. Being written to be embarrassed by the new threat is completely different from being a "joke Character" or Comic Relief, which Yamcha was never meant to be.
Totally agree. This is the reason why baseball episode in DBS was so trash.
It could be funny filler if it wasn't for that stupid Yamcha "joke" that ruined everything.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Unpopular views regarding Gohan:

1. I don't care that Gohan never became the lead/ultimate badass defender of Earth.

2. I consider the way the Cell arc ended to be adequate payoff for all the build up with him.

3. I'm not invested in Gohan as a character. I like him, but I don't watch the show for him. So him becoming the main character is not something I ever particularly wanted to see.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:16 pm

Majin Buu wrote:Unpopular views regarding Gohan:

1. I don't care that Gohan never became the lead/ultimate badass defender of Earth.

2. I consider the way the Cell arc ended to be adequate payoff for all the build up with him.

3. I'm not invested in Gohan as a character. I like him, but I don't watch the show for him. So him becoming the main character is not something I ever particularly wanted to see.
Amen!

2. I consider the end of the Saiyan arc an adequate payoff.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:52 pm

ABED wrote:2. I consider the end of the Saiyan arc an adequate payoff.
Good point. Gohan was ultimately the one that put Vegeta down for good so the Cell arc isn't even the first time he saves the day.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:55 pm

This adds to the notion that I really dont understand the Whole "X Character" needs to save the day for once or we need a new generation of heroes. Dragon Ball isnt a crossover story of different characters from different franchises coming together to test each other in martial arts and save the day while doing it. This isnt The Avengers or Justice League. Vegeta doesnt have his own series that he's coming from when he first met Goku, same goes for Piccolo, Krillin, Tien, Trunks, Gohan etc. Dragon Ball is about Son Goku and his journey of constant growth as a fighter and how his quirky personality clashes with and attracts different people of all creeds, cultures and races within its OWN Story.

I'm not completely closed off to Spin Offs with different characters but I doubt it'll have even half the longevity of Dragon Ball when it'll try its hardest to either Copy Goku almost per badem or make the character sympathetic with which we'll just end up with Boruto.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:41 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:This adds to the notion that I really dont understand the Whole "X Character" needs to save the day for once or we need a new generation of heroes. Dragon Ball isnt a crossover story of different characters from different franchises coming together to test each other in martial arts and save the day while doing it. This isnt The Avengers or Justice League. Vegeta doesnt have his own series that he's coming from when he first met Goku, same goes for Piccolo, Krillin, Tien, Trunks, Gohan etc. Dragon Ball is about Son Goku and his journey of constant growth as a fighter and how his quirky personality clashes with and attracts different people of all creeds, cultures and races within its OWN Story.

I'm not completely closed off to Spin Offs with different characters but I doubt it'll have even half the longevity of Dragon Ball when it'll try its hardest to either Copy Goku almost per badem or make the character sympathetic with which we'll just end up with Boruto.
Agree with all this.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sixingqiu

Post by sixingqiu » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:44 pm

My unpopular opinion is probably liking the conclusion of the Future Trunks arc. Like...I understand people having trouble accepting the logic, but it had a cathartic payoff sentimentality wise, so I could let it slide. Plus I've just never really thought too hard about the logic in DB to begin with, it contradicts itself enough as is.
hopeless media enthusiast gets very passionate about big men who scream and punch each other
they/them pronouns pls

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:25 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:Dead Yamcha was never funny and for the life of me I will never understand how it grew to be so popular that the idea of Yamcha being a joke has transitioned into official material. Being written to be embarrassed by the new threat is completely different from being a "joke Character" or Comic Relief, which Yamcha was never meant to be.
I feel like Yamcha the memetic loser gave him more attention from the fandom before he was just “That dude Bulma dated before Vegeta fired his Galic Gun in her

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:22 am

Surprisingly this is an unpopular opinion which is DBS barely had any world building.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:31 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Surprisingly this is an unpopular opinion which is DBS barely had any world building.
God ki, gods of destruction, multiverses, Angels, Omni-Kings, Ultra Instinct.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:04 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
I feel like Yamcha the memetic loser gave him more attention from the fandom before he was just “That dude Bulma dated before Vegeta fired his Galic Gun in her
Not all attention is good attention though, I know its almost impossible to give a solid answer but how many more people actually genuinely care about Yamcha after he was treated like a joke in the lead up to the ToP? He thought Goku was gonna ask him to help fight but it never happened. Not to mention he was completely run over by everyone else in Baseball and he's actually supposed to be "The Best" at that.

Yamcha's arc was effectively wrapped up when he openly retired after being nearly killed by Dr. Gero, only helping if absolutely needed which is AYE OH KAY in the grand scheme of things, when dealing with a large cast, not everyone is gonna play a pivotal role in fighting off the main threat.

If people over hear in the States only knew him as the one guy who dated the hot chick then fine, most folks probably weren't aware of his accolades Pre-Raditz which yeah, he wasn't very successful in tournaments (Though in the real world, top 8 in a tournament is nothing to sneeze at) but he still helped when he could and that's much better than being the butt of everyone's jokes for no reason other than tasteless humor.

Yamcha is just another case of a guy who looks cool but didn't amount to much but that's because the story isn't even remotely ABOUT him so its okay.
Last edited by goku the krump dancer on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:12 am

Even if he is the butt of the joke, that's a fine position to be in. It's something at least. It's more than Chaozu ever got.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:04 pm

ABED wrote:Even if he is the butt of the joke, that's a fine position to be in. It's something at least. It's more than Chaozu ever got.
Chaozu didnt have much going for him anyway, so even if we got into his weird Vampiric background it wouldnt really contribute much to the overall story. Maybe its a case of tomato/tomahto but if I was stuck eating a piece of chicken a week for the rest of my life and someone offers me a bowl of slop everyday with the idea of "hey, its more more food than he's getting now" then no thanks! i'll continue with what i was happy with.

That might seem extreme but my point is, if it isnt benefiting the character then it isnt necessary.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:46 pm

But it's not a person. It's Toriyama's characters and a story. If the role Yamcha occupies is now to be the butt of a joke, it's not a bad thing, neccessarily. In this case, I don't think it is. It would be different if it was a more earnest character like Piccolo getting this treatment. At worst, in Yamcha's case, it's taking a trait he had and amplifying it. I do wish there would be something to counter-balance it, like Gary/Larry/Barry/Jerry from Parks and Rec. He was the butt of the joke at his job, but he had an amazing home life.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:19 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Totally agree. This is the reason why baseball episode in DBS was so trash.
It could be funny filler if it wasn't for that stupid Yamcha "joke" that ruined everything.
I also agree. It wasn’t funny before and it’s not funny 13 years later.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:39 pm

ABED wrote:Even if he is the butt of the joke, that's a fine position to be in. It's something at least. It's more than Chaozu ever got.
I was fine with him being the butt of jokes for a while, but it got pretty ridiculous by the Universal Survival arc. Not only did Yamcha get overlooked in favor of the Muten Roshi, but when they were desperately looking for a 10th fighter for Universe 7, you’re telling me that no one even considered Yamcha? I get that Freeza is a lot stronger than him, but you’re really going to tell me that not a single person even thought to ask Yamcha to join during such a dire situation? It was even worse in the manga, where Bulma apparently couldn’t even remember who Yamcha was, despite having dated him for over a decade.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:04 pm

ABED wrote:But it's not a person. It's Toriyama's characters and a story. If the role Yamcha occupies is now to be the butt of a joke, it's not a bad thing, neccessarily. In this case, I don't think it is. It would be different if it was a more earnest character like Piccolo getting this treatment. At worst, in Yamcha's case, it's taking a trait he had and amplifying it.
The thing is though, no one in Dragon Ball is safe from being ragged on, everyone was part of some joke in the series at some point, manga, movies, filler w/e. That's the nature of the show heavy action mixed with comedy, sprinkled with mild drama for substance. Taking that one small trait that everyone has and injecting it with needless attention often breaks its overall likability, its like when they said Goku never kissed Chichi, like bruh what? We get that Goku is still somewhat of a fish outta water and thats part of his charm but man that's over board when he has two kids by the same woman that he's married to.

Mr. Satan, Yajirobe and jaco are all comedy focused characters, the jokes work well with them because thats what they were written for, Yamcha was never supposed to be that. While yes characters grow and evolve, they can also devolve when given needless attention. The Yamcha jokes are mostly in poor taste and just straight up aren't funny.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:14 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:
ABED wrote:But it's not a person. It's Toriyama's characters and a story. If the role Yamcha occupies is now to be the butt of a joke, it's not a bad thing, neccessarily. In this case, I don't think it is. It would be different if it was a more earnest character like Piccolo getting this treatment. At worst, in Yamcha's case, it's taking a trait he had and amplifying it.
The thing is though, no one in Dragon Ball is safe from being ragged on, everyone was part of some joke in the series at some point, manga, movies, filler w/e. That's the nature of the show heavy action mixed with comedy, sprinkled with mild drama for substance. Taking that one small trait that everyone has and injecting it with needless attention often breaks its overall likability, its like when they said Goku never kissed Chichi, like bruh what? We get that Goku is still somewhat of a fish outta water and thats part of his charm but man that's over board when he has two kids by the same woman that he's married to.

Mr. Satan, Yajirobe and jaco are all comedy focused characters, the jokes work well with them because thats what they were written for, Yamcha was never supposed to be that. While yes characters grow and evolve, they can also devolve when given needless attention. The Yamcha jokes are mostly in poor taste and just straight up aren't funny.
But unlike Piccolo and Vegeta, Yamcha is rarely a character the story needed to take super serious for it to work. If this was Piccolo I would be inclined to agree, but Yamcha was rarely useful to the story beyond the first arc. He's usually cannon fodder.

I don't even understand what you mean by "poor taste" in this context. Unfunny is one thing, but poor taste?
I was fine with him being the butt of jokes for a while, but it got pretty ridiculous by the Universal Survival arc. Not only did Yamcha get overlooked in favor of the Muten Roshi, but when they were desperately looking for a 10th fighter for Universe 7, you’re telling me that no one even considered Yamcha? I get that Freeza is a lot stronger than him, but you’re really going to tell me that not a single person even thought to ask Yamcha to join during such a dire situation? It was even worse in the manga, where Bulma apparently couldn’t even remember who Yamcha was, despite having dated him for over a decade.
Yamcha's so outclassed by that point in the story, I can't think of anyway he would be helpful given the powerscale and the stakes.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:29 pm

I mean, Roshi was involved in the ToP. Was his power up kind of out of nowhere? Sure, Goku just noted he'd been "training in secret". But, Yamcha could've done the same. The whole thing with the ToP is that since it's a battle royale, there are tons of fighters of varying strengths which is why people like Roshi, Tenshinhan, Kuririn could even participate. Yamcha wouldn't have exactly stood out as being much different. I'm in the camp that's tired of Yamcha being such a joke character now. Granted, he never was an extremely viable fighter. His greatest fights were usually used to display the strengths of a new fighter like Tenshinhan. But even so, they were fights that were taken seriously and he showed he was capable. These days his only scenes are comic relief scenes.