Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:07 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Weejus wrote:Ribrianne was really cool and she deserved better.
I don't have anything against her and just think its funny how much raw hatred she gets. Similar to Jar Jar Binks in the Star Wars fandom.
I am always glad to see Weejus state how Cool Ribrianne is and indeed DragonBallKing the raw dislike some fans had for Ribrianne was mostly bizarre with how it got, mostly it was they just had a different personal preference in character tastes and Ribrianne was not their personal preference. The Horror of it all! :lol:

But that is the Lesson of Life I have learn, what Makes others for reason dislike a character is the Very Reasons why other fans like Me LOVE that Character, Ribrianne in this case. To change her to suite those complaining fans would make her lose what I love about her, so you can't please everyone and while you should try to improve of character, don't 180 them to please those that might never want to try to be please with them, you just lost everyone.

Ribrianne is who she is and I Love those aspects about her, that is how fandom is at one of its base cores, everyone is different, we just have to accept that not all characters will be ones cup of tea, just how we react to that is what defines a fan.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:52 am

The vast majority of the people within the DB fandom doesn't understand DB, and it's not because they're stupid, it's more because they have their own headcanon which is shielded by nostalgia.

Cell was at his high point as a character when he was Imperfect, and once he absorbed #17, he lost that savvy, unorthodox and frightening nature and become a generic doomsday villain in the progress. Once he went Perfect, he became a snooze fest.

Majin Boo is scarier than Freeza.

Gohan and Videl are the only decent couple in this series and the only characters whose relationship develops realistically. Bulma and Vegeta hooking up is inane and Trunks and Mai are downright cringey.

Toriyama can't write as decent as he could back when the original DB manga was running on Weekly Shonen Jump, because he got older and has changed, but he still plays a vital role in making DB feel like DB. He's also someone that needs a good editor to make a compromise between what he wants to draw and what the fanbase wants.

SS4 is the best and most well-thought out SS design to date. The transformation went back to its roots with the Oozaru form, and incorporated that into their base look. It's refreshing, because the Oozaru form got overshadowed and lost at the expense of the SS forms. Personally, I really felt like the SS God forms and the ones following after it are a bunch of lazy designs. Turning your hair different colors doesn't take much thought. I always feel like the DB fandom takes it for granted, especially since its design stuck to the proper style of the Monkey King. SS4 always seemed to better represent the "Great Sage Equal of Heaven" that Sun Wukong was titled as.

The less detailed SS hair from the Namek arc when it was fresh and new looks cooler than the overly detailed and spiked hair from the Artificial Humans arc and so forth.

Bio Broly was a passable DBZ movie because it gives Goten, Trunks, Kuririn and #18 more screentime, what it makes it even better is the fact that Goten and Trunks aren't relying on Fusion to save the day.

The Zamasu arc's only mistake is that it became too convoluted due to Toriyama's napkin notes, too much going back and forth to the future and getting saved by Mai. Vegetto should have defused Zamasu and Black, then Zamasu should have been sealed via the Mafuba and Black should have been killed by Trunks.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:07 pm

-I find SSG and SSB better than SS4
    -Gotenks wasn't that bad
      -I prefer Videl short hair over pigtails
        -I didn't care for the recruitment phase of the ToP aside Gohan and Frieza I find it very boring and I'm never going to plan to watch it again.

GamerSkull
        Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Izanagi wrote:The vast majority of the people within the DB fandom doesn't understand DB, and it's not because they're stupid, it's more because they have their own headcanon which is shielded by nostalgia.

Cell was at his high point as a character when he was Imperfect, and once he absorbed #17, he lost that savvy, unorthodox and frightening nature and become a generic doomsday villain in the progress. Once he went Perfect, he became a snooze fest.

Gohan and Videl are the only decent couple in this series and the only characters whose relationship develops realistically. Bulma and Vegeta hooking up is inane and Trunks and Mai are downright cringey.

Toriyama can't write as decent as he could back when the original DB manga was running on Weekly Shonen Jump, because he got older and has changed, but he still plays a vital role in making DB feel like DB. He's also someone that needs a good editor to make a compromise between what he wants to draw and what the fanbase wants.

SS4 is the best and most well-thought out SS design to date. The transformation went back to its roots with the Oozaru form, and incorporated that into their base look. It's refreshing, because the Oozaru form got overshadowed and lost at the expense of the SS forms. Personally, I really felt like the SS God forms and the ones following after it are a bunch of lazy designs. Turning your hair different colors doesn't take much thought. I always feel like the DB fandom takes it for granted, especially since its design stuck to the proper style of the Monkey King. SS4 always seemed to better represent the "Great Sage Equal of Heaven" that Sun Wukong was titled as.

The less detailed SS hair from the Namek arc when it was fresh and new looks cooler than the overly detailed and spiked hair from the Artificial Humans arc and so forth.

Bio Broly was a passable DBZ movie because it gives Goten, Trunks, Kuririn and #18 more screentime, what it makes it even better is the fact that Goten and Trunks aren't relying on Fusion to save the day.

The Zamasu arc's only mistake is that it became too convoluted due to Toriyama's napkin notes, too much going back and forth to the future and getting saved by Mai. Vegetto should have defused Zamasu and Black, then Zamasu should have been sealed via the Mafuba and Black should have been killed by Trunks.
        I basically agree with everything you said except for the Majin Buu and Freeza one. Good post. :thumbup:
        "Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Dbzfan94
        Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Izanagi wrote:The vast majority of the people within the DB fandom doesn't understand DB, and it's not because they're stupid, it's more because they have their own headcanon which is shielded by nostalgia.

Agreed with everything here. Especially the SSJ4 one.

Spider-Man
        Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:32 pm

I like how Goten looked in GT.
        Last edited by Spider-Man on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GamerSkull
        Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:34 pm

Spider-Man wrote:I like how Goten look in GT.
        BLASPHEMY! nah, jk. :lol:

I actually like Goten's EoZ design a lot... he even looks like his grandmother Gine... sorta. :think:
        "Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

The Patrolman
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Broly in Movie 8 >>>>>>>>>> Kale as a whole
        The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Dbzfan94
        Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:06 pm

The Patrolman wrote:Broly in Movie 8 >>>>>>>>>> Kale as a whole
        Agreed. Kale was a mix between Hinata from Naruto and movie 10 Broly.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:13 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
        The Patrolman wrote:Broly in Movie 8 >>>>>>>>>> Kale as a whole
        Agreed. Kale was a mix between Hinata from Naruto and movie 10 Broly.
        Indeed, I am fully the 180 degree way;

Kale as a Whole! :angel: >>>>>>>>>> Broly in Movie 8.

Kale become one of my new favorites out of the ToP arc and greatly look forward to more of her if a new anime follows up Super!

Also with what I have seen of Naruto, Hinata was one of my favorites in that series.
        --- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
        Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
        Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
        My #1 in DB!
        :thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
        http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

GamerSkull
        Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:42 pm

I agree that Movie 8 Broly is better than Kale. (I only really like Caulifla when it comes to the female saiyans).

However, Kale is still better than Movie 10 and 11 Broly. (although I enjoyed Movie 10).
        "Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

jeffbr92
        Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Izanagi wrote:Cell was at his high point as a character when he was Imperfect, and once he absorbed #17, he lost that savvy, unorthodox and frightening nature and become a generic doomsday villain in the progress. Once he went Perfect, he became a snooze fest.
        Interesting. How would you do better with Cell?
        Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

GamerSkull
        Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Battle of Gods wasn't nearly as good as people say it was.

In fact, I think it's pretty meh.
        "Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

RisanF
        Not-So-Newbie

Post by RisanF » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:34 pm

I like the way Goku is drawn in the Saiyan Saga better than his modern look.

When Dragon Ball Z switched to the super-hard-edged look around the end of the Namek saga, I feel like it had a detrimental effect on Goku as a whole. Some characters, like Trunks, look pretty good in the newer style, but Goku loses most of his boyish appeal, and ends up looking like this stiff wad of muscle with a rigid face and a neck as thick as a tree trunk. The Goku from the Saiyan Saga had this "Dragon Quest" hero look to him, the kind of classic Toriyama-style that I've always been a fan of. I think it also captures his light-hearted side better too.

(I also prefer his Saiyan/Namek saga gi to his Cell Saga one. I'm not a big fan of the wide-V-neck, and I miss the dangling martial arts belt.)

That promotional art for the new Dragon Ball movie is making the rounds, and some people say it's going back to the old style. I personally think it looks liek a combination of the old and new styles, but I'm pleased they made Goku a little less muscular. Also, I think it's good that they got rid of all those extra highlights and shading in Goku's hair; makes it look a little less stiff.

GamerSkull
        Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:19 pm

RisanF wrote:I like the way Goku is drawn in the Saiyan Saga better than his modern look.

When Dragon Ball Z switched to the super-hard-edged look around the end of the Namek saga, I feel like it had a detrimental effect on Goku as a whole. Some characters, like Trunks, look pretty good in the newer style, but Goku loses most of his boyish appeal, and ends up looking like this stiff wad of muscle with a rigid face and a neck as thick as a tree trunk. The Goku from the Saiyan Saga had this "Dragon Quest" hero look to him, the kind of classic Toriyama-style that I've always been a fan of. I think it also captures his light-hearted side better too.

(I also prefer his Saiyan/Namek saga gi to his Cell Saga one. I'm not a big fan of the wide-V-neck, and I miss the dangling martial arts belt.)

That promotional art for the new Dragon Ball movie is making the rounds, and some people say it's going back to the old style. I personally think it looks liek a combination of the old and new styles, but I'm pleased they made Goku a little less muscular. Also, I think it's good that they got rid of all those extra highlights and shading in Goku's hair; makes it look a little less stiff.
        I agree. I think the artwork was at its best during the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai and the Saiyan saga... and Goku is no exception to this. Although I love his kid design. I think Goku looks okay for a good portion of his Namek appearance too.
        "Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

RisanF
        Not-So-Newbie

Post by RisanF » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:19 pm

GamerSkull wrote:
        RisanF wrote:I like the way Goku is drawn in the Saiyan Saga better than his modern look.

I agree. I think the artwork was at its best during the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai and the Saiyan saga... and Goku is no exception to this. Although I love his kid design. I think Goku looks okay for a good portion of his Namek appearance too.
        Yeah, pretty much. I also like the style used in the Red Ribbon Saga, for its clean and cartoony look. Pilaf Saga Goku just looks too doughy to me, the exact opposite of the hard- edged look of Cell Saga Goku. Red Ribbon is when Goku had fully morphed into his iconic self, and his hair had finally gotten its distinctive "claw shape."

FortuneSSJ
        Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:12 pm

Goku become a kid again in GT was a smart idea from the staff.

One of my problems with GT is how it's a shonen, but most of the main cast feels too old for this genre. I don't think a big part of the audience, especially the young target demographic, feels excited in seeing a shonen filled with old people. The lame casual designs that most characters have don't help. It aged horribly.

It's one of the things Super will always have over GT. The main cast still looks young and fresh, just how a shonen is supposed to be. That charm of having a charismatic cast is something that was lost in GT, so make the adult main character become a kid again was a good idea. It didn't solve the problem, but it made the show more enjoyable to me.
        A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:26 am

Weejus wrote:Ribrianne was really cool and she deserved better.
        I'll do you one better: Ribrianne NEEDS to be FighterZ DLC. She's one of the best possible options. Unique moves, quirky aesthetic, cinematic flair (imagine her intro as just the magical girl transformation), body type shared with only one other character (Fat Buu, who's not very good), potential for colourful banter, and most importantly, the fun of getting to beat people with a character hardly anyone will play.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:02 am

It's for the juxtaposition between his boyish nature and his outward appearance. All Goku does is train, and he's become the strongest man in the universe, so biologically and practically speaking, him being a beefcake makes sense. Where Toriyama excels and the anime slips up, is that in the manga, Toriyama pays attention to Goku's body language. In the anime he's always standing broad and erect and showing off his muscles, but in the manga he'll often have sort of a slouch, or maybe he'll have a finger on his lip inquisitively, basically lots of subtle details in the art that show Toriyama is still drawing a kid, it's just that this particular kid eventually grew into the shape of a man, which is an inescapable biological fact.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:05 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Goku become a kid again in GT was a smart idea from the staff.

One of my problems with GT is how it's a shonen, but most of the main cast feels too old for this genre. I don't think a big part of the audience, especially the young target demographic, feels excited in seeing a shonen filled with old people. The lame casual designs that most characters have don't help. It aged horribly.

It's one of the things Super will always have over GT. The main cast still looks young and fresh, just how a shonen is supposed to be. That charm of having a charismatic cast is something that was lost in GT, so make the adult main character become a kid again was a good idea. It didn't solve the problem, but it made the show more enjoyable to me.
        That's interesting. Was making Goku a kid Toriyama's idea or Toei's? It makes sense that Toriyama would draw the concept art for his characters in their most natural progression, where everyone is old and dressed casually, without any mind for expectations or marketing or target audience, then Toei came along and thought we're going to need at least one kid in order to offset all these old people.