Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:49 pm

Noah wrote:
ABED wrote:Here's my unpopular opinion: Gohan's character arc is complete by the end of the Saiyan arc. Gohan going Super Saiyan 2 wasn't necessary. His potential had been realized several times prior. It's hardly this great culmination that had been built since his introduction.
That's really unpopular. Gohan at the end of the Saiyan arc was still a side fighter whose potential could be reliable or not. It was on the RoSaT that he finally realized the many times he could have avoided suffering to his loved ones, if had the full control of his power.
Actually it's on Namek that he becomes reliable. It was his character arc in the Saiyan arc that he goes from crybaby to warrior as evidenced by his essential contribution to defeating Vegeta. And he doesn't have full control over his power or emotions after the RoSaT. That's my point.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:48 pm

I hate almost every fusion in this series. Most of them are overly cocky jokers and it got repetitive. The only fusions I can stand is Gogeta because he don't fuck around and he wasn't safe from this (I'm looking at you SSJ4 Gogeta) and Merged Zamasu because that ultimately fits his character
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:47 pm

SSJ4 is equal in power to SSJB.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:38 pm

I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but the Buu Saga versions of Goku & Vegeta are the best written versions of their characters in the whole franchise.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:24 am

zarmack wrote:I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but the Buu Saga versions of Goku & Vegeta are the best written versions of their characters in the whole franchise.
For Vegeta its not. For Goku it actually is
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:24 am

Broly's extreme power is interesting.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:21 pm

zarmack wrote:I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but the Buu Saga versions of Goku & Vegeta are the best written versions of their characters in the whole franchise.
If we talk about personality only then GT Vegeta was the best for me, but overall his Buu saga version was the best executed (good balance in personality, design and involvement). GT Vegeta had great personality and design but lacked involvement and relevance in series. In Super he was pretty relevant and had much more involvement, but his personality and design (simple Z ripoff like Goku + he looks dumb wearing armor all the time) were big disappointment.

With Goku, i prefer him as a kid, so og DB and GT versions were the best for me, although if we talk about adult Goku, then Buu saga version is easily the best out of them.

If i were to pick the worst versions of Goku and Vegeta then:
Goku - DBS (dumber than ever, risking everyone's lives)
Vegeta - Cell saga (arrogant moron that could prevent Cell from killing 16, 18, Trunks and Goku)
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:23 pm

Hulk10 wrote:SSJ4 is equal in power to SSJB.
Going by Yamamuro-san's Entrevista 2015 answer, 4 is way stronger than Blue just from being chronologically after Blue.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:29 pm

Cetra wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:SSJ4 is equal in power to SSJB.
Going by Yamamuro-san's Entrevista 2015 answer, 4 is way stronger than Blue just from being chronologically after Blue.
I like to think that's the case.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:28 am

The Patrolman wrote:
For Vegeta its not. For Goku it actually is
I agree with that.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:48 am

You can call me weirdo but... I don't find Android 21 too hot as others do.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:38 pm

The Patrolman wrote:I hate almost every fusion in this series. Most of them are overly cocky jokers and it got repetitive. The only fusions I can stand is Gogeta because he don't fuck around and he wasn't safe from this (I'm looking at you SSJ4 Gogeta) and Merged Zamasu because that ultimately fits his character
I'm with you there. Though I actually do like Vegetto if only because he was a nice palette cleanser after being screwed around by Gotenks and Ultimate Gohan.

Megred Zamasu is best fusion. Still don't get why people are so excited for Gogeta in the new movie. If you count all continuities, Goku and Vegeta "putting aside their differences to fuse" has happened four times now, why are we acting like this time is the one that will be interesting?

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:44 pm

Kataphrut wrote:If you count all continuities, Goku and Vegeta "putting aside their differences to fuse" has happened four times now, why are we acting like this time is the one that will be interesting?
It's funny because in SDBH anime (perhaps game/manga as well) Vegeta Xeno came with idea of fusing and Goku Xeno said something like "I thought you hate fusion".
And while Xeno characters are not from GT, they experienced GT events and so Vegeta already came with fusion before when they fought Omega Shenron. But here they made it yet another "putting aside their differences to fuse".
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:09 am

Kataphrut wrote:Still don't get why people are so excited for Gogeta in the new movie. If you count all continuities, Goku and Vegeta "putting aside their differences to fuse" has happened four times now, why are we acting like this time is the one that will be interesting?
It seems to be more about excitement about Gogeta becoming canon than anything else really.
sunsetshimmer wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:If you count all continuities, Goku and Vegeta "putting aside their differences to fuse" has happened four times now, why are we acting like this time is the one that will be interesting?
It's funny because in SDBH anime (perhaps game/manga as well) Vegeta Xeno came with idea of fusing and Goku Xeno said something like "I thought you hate fusion".
And while Xeno characters are not from GT, they experienced GT events and so Vegeta already came with fusion before when they fought Omega Shenron. But here they made it yet another "putting aside their differences to fuse".
In the manga, specificaly dark dragon balls story arc, the characters would rather fuse than use transformations, it's ridiculous, Goku and Vegeta fused with each other 3 times, and the only transformation they ever use is SS4 in the last chapters lol.

Vegeta tends to be hesitant about it, but when doing the last one, SS4 Gogeta, he's the one who suggests it since both him and Goku are too hurt to keep fighting.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:38 am

Not saying you're incorrect, but why is anyone excited that Gogeta is becoming canon? Vegetto is the fusion of the same two characters. There's no fundamental difference between the two fused characters.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:32 pm

Are you guys saying that Gogeta will appear in the new movie?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Hulk10 wrote:Are you guys saying that Gogeta will appear in the new movie?
Lol, yeah that is very old news. You didn't know?

Oh wait, you're just being sarcastic aren't you?

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:24 pm

ABED wrote:Not saying you're incorrect, but why is anyone excited that Gogeta is becoming canon? Vegetto is the fusion of the same two characters. There's no fundamental difference between the two fused characters.
There's the simple one that is being canon gives this feel of the character being more important, which is why something like Ova Bardock not being canon anymore annoyed people, but for the character itself there's many factors for this, like preference of the fusion dance, or his design, or seeing how different his personality can be since being like Vegetto's is not a necessity, what kinds of moves will he have, there's also interest in just seeing what Toriyama's interpretation of him will be, which is part of the interest I've seen people have in this Broly.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:27 pm

They have the same moves. It's the same characters fusing. Any new moves isn't due to it being Vegetto or Gogeta. I find the idea that they are two different beings to be silly. It's a paint job at best.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:36 pm

ABED wrote:They have the same moves. It's the same characters fusing. Any new moves isn't due to it being Vegetto or Gogeta. I find the idea that they are two different beings to be silly. It's a paint job at best.
They are two different characters formed by two different fusion methods. Sure, the composition is the same but they are still different characters. Also, we don't know if Toriyama's Gogeta is going to have a different character than Vegetto or something like that.

And I always thought that:

Gogeta -> Stardust Breaker, Big Bang Kamehameha
Vegetto -> Spirit Sword, Final Kamehameha

Were their specific moves.