Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:16 pm

ABED wrote:If it happens, that's great, if not, I'm not lacking for DB material.
But all of the other material is like 20 years old!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:53 am

PFM18 wrote:
ABED wrote:If it happens, that's great, if not, I'm not lacking for DB material.
But all of the other material is like 20 years old!
Please be kidding b/c so what if it's 20 years old?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:21 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:Guys, Super IS canon, what is up in the air is whether you chose to follow the manga or the anime lol
Sadly there's no official confirmation of that, so I do respect people who only consider the original manga or it's anime adaptations.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:51 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:Guys, Super IS canon, what is up in the air is whether you chose to follow the manga or the anime lol
Sadly there's no official confirmation of that, so I do respect people who only consider the original manga or it's anime adaptations.
It has been stated by Toriyama himself check it out lol http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/07/01/dr ... ries-plot/

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Nah, that was just Toriyama explaining where this new series would place on his story. It isn't like he, Toei, Bandai or Shueisha giving an official statement explaining what count and what does not count for the franchise canon.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:30 pm

If the original author writes the continuation and states himself it is the continuation I think we don't have much choice about it lol

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:36 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:If the original author writes the continuation and states himself it is the continuation I think we don't have much choice about it lol
He is actually right about that being a statement about time placement, Toriyama is just saying when Dragon Ball Super starts (which is obviously after Majin Buu saga). But hey, there is a statement like that about Dragon Ball Online, Toriyama himself says when it takes place and outright states that it is after the manga but it does not seem like everyone here considers that statement, as you do not see everyone here putting Dragon Ball Online in their "headcanon".

If we are going to use that Toriyama's statement, then we also don't have much choice and everyone has to consider Dragon Ball Online as well.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:38 pm

What is Dragon Ball Online lol

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:38 pm

[spoiler]I really don't mind having Broly back for movie 20.

If they do it right the this could really be a genuinely good film and a good step for a character who many considered rather one note. Thats not to say they cannot really mess this up but we havent even got a real trailer yet so lets see how this evolves.[/spoiler]

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:[spoiler]I really don't mind having Broly back for movie 20.

If they do it right the this could really be a genuinely good film and a good step for a character who many considered rather one note. Thats not to say they cannot really mess this up but we havent even got a real trailer yet so lets see how this evolves.[/spoiler]
Fair enough but I can't get my hopes up yet, I do hope it will be good lol
I really don't have any hopes up lol
I would have preferred something new though lol

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:What is Dragon Ball Online lol
A Korean MMORPG created as a sequel to the manga, outside of the manga, it is the project with the most involvement from the author Akira Toriyama himself.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:47 pm

I was being sarcastic mate, MMORPGs cannot be canon by any mean lol

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:48 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:MMORPGs cannot be canon by any mean lol
What do you mean "cannot"? :eh: Not only this does not make sense, it would be the case with Dragon Ball Online if there was a canon.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:51 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:

Don't get me wrong, new is always better. But taking a character who has lots of untapped potential and really trying to do something better with him is a close second. Here's an example, Mr. Freeze was once one of Batman's worst characters for years. But then the animated series remade the character into a far more interesting villain who is now widely regarded as one of the dark knight most iconic foes.

Now are toei and Toriyama actually up to the task, maybe. I don't expect something a good as Freeze got but if they really do try then maybe, just maybe, it can allow this character to evolve into something more then he was.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:29 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:

Don't get me wrong, new is always better. But taking a character who has lots of untapped potential and really trying to do something better with him is a close second. Here's an example, Mr. Freeze was once one of Batman's worst characters for years. But then the animated series remade the character into a far more interesting villain who is now widely regarded as one of the dark knight most iconic foes.

Now are toei and Toriyama actually up to the task, maybe. I don't expect something a good as Freeze got but if they really do try then maybe, just maybe, it can allow this character to evolve into something more then he was.
Incidentally enough, the series responsible for making Mr. Freeze who he is today is also the same series that introduced Harley Quinn, who I view the same way that many people around here view Broly; as a lousy concept for a character who embodies all of the worst stereotypes about comic books. The same way that many people are baffled by Broly’s popularity, I’m baffled by the popularity of Harley Quinn.

Anyway, I’m obviously getting off topic here. Regarding the upcoming Broly movie, complexity isn’t really Toriyama’s strong point, so I’m not sure we can really count on him doing any groundbreaking with the character. I was thinking that instead of giving him a grudge against Goku, they could give him a grudge against Freeza for obvious reasons, but I don’t know if that would make for a particularly interesting villain.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 am

But DB isn't like superhero comics. It's not a bunch of different interpretations. Instead of taking from the past and trying to make up for it, they should just learn lessons and move forward.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:29 am

ABED wrote:But DB isn't like superhero comics. It's not a bunch of different interpretations. Instead of taking from the past and trying to make up for it, they should just learn lessons and move forward.
I have to disagree there, the series has this in many ways. There’s Toriyama and tori’s interpitations of Goku which caused Toriyama to push back and make some aspects of Goku character more exaggerated as time went on. In fact Gt and Super’s Goku pretty much embody those intepritations. As a stand alone movie character Broly can undergo such thing pretty easily, as there is no original cannon in the manga to restrict him.

Also constantly moving forward is not as good as some would believe. Look at the Sonic Game series, always pushing forward, always trying to reinvent the wheel with every few games and more often the not getting to wrong over and over again. New is not always good, just hang around Gt and Super detractors for a while, well those with good arguments, and even if you don’t agree you see their point.

Hell part of old dragons biggest problems was rushing ahead and constantly making new stuff for the sake of it. That’s part of the reason the Android and Buu arcs are such a mess at times. A little grounding and staying in your comfort zone when it’s needed is not a bad thing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:24 am

Lord Frieza wrote:
ABED wrote:But DB isn't like superhero comics. It's not a bunch of different interpretations. Instead of taking from the past and trying to make up for it, they should just learn lessons and move forward.
I have to disagree there, the series has this in many ways. There’s Toriyama and tori’s interpitations of Goku which caused Toriyama to push back and make some aspects of Goku character more exaggerated as time went on. In fact Gt and Super’s Goku pretty much embody those intepritations. As a stand alone movie character Broly can undergo such thing pretty easily, as there is no original cannon in the manga to restrict him.

Also constantly moving forward is not as good as some would believe. Look at the Sonic Game series, always pushing forward, always trying to reinvent the wheel with every few games and more often the not getting to wrong over and over again. New is not always good, just hang around Gt and Super detractors for a while, well those with good arguments, and even if you don’t agree you see their point.

Hell part of old dragons biggest problems was rushing ahead and constantly making new stuff for the sake of it. That’s part of the reason the Android and Buu arcs are such a mess at times. A little grounding and staying in your comfort zone when it’s needed is not a bad thing.
Toei's version is a valid interpretation. They didn't go their own way with the story. They adapted Toriyama's story, but misread what he was going for. The anime is a mishmash of Toriyama's Goku and Toei's interpretation.

I can't speak to Sonic, but I wasn't arguing new is always better, but the past is gone. You can't change it. The best you can do is try to learn from the past. And to be honest, most of the time, I prefer stories try something new and risk failure than to see stories tread water and stay in their comfort zone until it dies a slow protracted death.

I don't get your final point. What did the issues with those arcs have to do with making up new stuff?
Last edited by ABED on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:26 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:I was being sarcastic mate, MMORPGs cannot be canon by any mean lol
Please explain your point. Why an animated tv show can be considered canon to the manga but a MMORPG can't? What other arbitrary rule do you have? You said the anime is because of Toriyama involvement and statements but, as @Grimlock pointed out, the same applies to Dragon Ball Online and for some reason you're leaving that out.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:57 am

I am sorry I do not have any other argument than because it's a freaking video game lol