Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 pm

• The original Dragon Ball series is the best Dragon Ball series.
  • Boo is highly underrated. In fact, I consider him the best antagonist in Z; he isn't evil, he just 100% plays by his own rules, he's different from any other antagonist in the franchise, and his character arc is touching, tragic, and in the end, rather uplifting.
  • Piccolo is the best character in all of Dragon Ball. (And King Piccolo is the best villain)
  • Brian Drummond is the best Vegeta. Including Ryo Horikawa, who I consider a close second. (Though honestly, Chris Sabat's interpretation is very good; which of them is best is definitely up to the individual, though IMO pre-Kai, Sabat's Vegeta was a little weak.)
  • Filler as a whole is underrated.
  • GT is actually really good. Episodes 2-14 are very inconsistent, but there's some real gold in there(3-5 and 12-14 are particular standouts IMO), and from episode 15 on, it's solid.
  • Super's first real arc, the Universe 6 tournament, is the most middling and bland arc in all of Dragon Ball.
  • Because of all the plagiarism, Yamamoto's Kai soundtrack should be left in the dust.
  • While the red Super Saiyan God form was a really cool and interesting new transformation that felt properly earned, the blue form makes absolutely no sense, and its design is underwhelming, and honestly a little unoriginal.
  • GT's final arc, the Evil Dragons arc, is one of the most brilliant arcs in all of Dragon Ball.
  • In ~10-15 years, people will turn sour on Super, because they will realise that the only reason it seemed good in the first place was hype.
  • Beerus is the only antagonist since Boo to be as good as Boo.
  • GT has the best music in the Dragon Ball franchise.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:56 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
  • The original Dragon Ball series is the best Dragon Ball series.
  • Boo is highly underrated. In fact, I consider him the best antagonist in Z; he isn't evil, he just 100% plays by his own rules, he's different from any other antagonist in the franchise, and his character arc is touching, tragic, and in the end, rather uplifting.
  • Piccolo is the best character in all of Dragon Ball. (And King Piccolo is the best villain)
  • Brian Drummond is the best Vegeta. Including Ryo Horikawa, who I consider a close second. (Though honestly, Chris Sabat's interpretation is very good; which of them is best is definitely up to the individual, though IMO pre-Kai, Sabat's Vegeta was a little weak.)
  • Filler as a whole is underrated.
  • GT is actually really good. Episodes 2-14 are very inconsistent, but there's some real gold in there(3-5 and 12-14 are particular standouts IMO), and from episode 15 on, it's solid.
  • Super's first real arc, the Universe 6 tournament, is the most middling and bland arc in all of Dragon Ball.
  • Because of all the plagiarism, Yamamoto's Kai soundtrack should be left in the dust.
  • While the red Super Saiyan God form was a really cool and interesting new transformation that felt properly earned, the blue form makes absolutely no sense, and its design is underwhelming, and honestly a little unoriginal.
  • GT's final arc, the Evil Dragons arc, is one of the most brilliant arcs in all of Dragon Ball.
  • In ~10-15 years, people will turn sour on Super, because they will realise that the only reason it seemed good in the first place was hype.
  • Beerus is the only antagonist since Boo to be as good as Boo.
  • GT has the best music in the Dragon Ball franchise.
I agree with all the ones I bolded.

Although, with the first one... do you mean the entire 42-volume manga or do you mean the first 16 volumes that ended with Piccolo's defeat?

Regardless, I would still agree. Toriyama's original 42-volume run was better than anything that came afterwards but I would also say Dragon Ball (the first 16 volumes) is still better than the Z portion as a whole.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:07 pm

GamerSkull wrote:I agree with all the ones I bolded.

Although, with the first one... do you mean the entire 42-volume manga or do you mean the first 16 volumes that ended with Piccolo's defeat?

Regardless, I would still agree. Toriyama's original 42-volume run was better than anything that came afterwards but I would also say Dragon Ball (the first 16 volumes) is still better than the Z portion as a whole.
I meant the show, so yeah, the first 16 volumes. I haven't actually read the manga yet; I'm waiting on the Full Colours going back to the pre-Raditz material so I can read it from the beginning in the Full Colour format. It seems to be almost entirely uncensored in Full Colour(Only edits are to Popo's lips), so that's a big plus that puts it ahead of all the other releases by a country mile. I'm not going to be double-dipping, so I'm just going to wait on Full Colour finishing.

In any case, nice to know I'm not alone in this stuff. :)

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:21 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:I agree with all the ones I bolded.

I meant the show, so yeah, the first 16 volumes. I haven't actually read the manga yet; I'm waiting on the Full Colours going back to the pre-Raditz material so I can read it from the beginning in the Full Colour format. It seems to be almost entirely uncensored in Full Colour(Only edits are to Popo's lips), so that's a big plus that puts it ahead of all the other releases by a country mile. I'm not going to be double-dipping, so I'm just going to wait on Full Colour finishing.

In any case, nice to know I'm not alone in this stuff. :)
Yeah, then I would agree. The original DB show had a charm to it that I feel has been missing ever since Namek (there was still a speckle of it in the Saiyan and Namek arcs). Not to mention, I greatly prefer the art style back then. It starts looking different after the Saiyan saga (especially in the manga).

The manga is pretty good (a part of me believes that DB is best when it's animated though). I'm collecting the Viz 3-in-1s myself. I tried buying the VizBigs but I keep having trouble with the binding on those and that's a headache I want to avoid. I might check out the Full-Colors at some point though.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:34 pm

GamerSkull wrote:Yeah, then I would agree. The original DB show had a charm to it that I feel has been missing ever since Namek (there was still a speckle of it in the Saiyan and Namek arcs). Not to mention, I greatly prefer the art style back then. It starts looking different after the Saiyan saga (especially in the manga).
Yeah... I do like the Namek, Androids, Cell, and Boo arcs, but they're rather different. They're a pretty natural progression on what the story was becoming with stuff like the Piccolo arc, and the Saiyan arc, but I do prefer how it was before.
The art style change is rather odd. I do like the later art; it definitely fits the later tone, but yeah... It's the same thing as how the overall style of Dragon Ball changed.
Though, I've gotta say... I really don't like Super's art style. It wasn't too bad early on when it had its own feel to it; it was very clean, which isn't something Dragon Ball's had before, and while I'm not a fan, it gave it a pretty interesting modern feel, which goes with the style Super's going for... Then they started putting that ugly filter over it with the Tournament Of Power, and it's... Actually pretty ugly, to be honest...
GamerSkull wrote:The manga is pretty good. I'm collecting the Viz 3-in-1s myself. I tried buying the VizBigs but I keep having trouble with the binding on those and that's a headache I want to avoid. I might check out the Full-Colors at some point though.
Oh dear. I see... I've heard bad things about the Viz 3-in-1s, actually; I heard the paper is really bad, it's still loaded with censorship despite being advertised otherwise, and it's often actually more expensive than the VizBigs... >_>
But yeah, I've heard it's good, and I do plan on reading it; just gonna wait until Full Colour is doing the beginning.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:45 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Yeah... I do like the Namek, Androids, Cell, and Boo arcs, but they're rather different. They're a pretty natural progression on what the story was becoming with stuff like the Piccolo arc, and the Saiyan arc, but I do prefer how it was before.
The art style change is rather odd. I do like the later art; it definitely fits the later tone, but yeah... It's the same thing as how the overall style of Dragon Ball changed.
Though, I've gotta say... I really don't like Super's art style. It wasn't too bad early on when it had its own feel to it; it was very clean, which isn't something Dragon Ball's had before, and while I'm not a fan, it gave it a pretty interesting modern feel, which goes with the style Super's going for... Then they started putting that ugly filter over it with the Tournament Of Power, and it's... Actually pretty ugly, to be honest...
I enjoy them but not as much as pre-Saiyan arc DB. I think a part of it comes down to the fact that there was more adventure and strategy back then. Now it's all action and brute strength.
If we're being honest, I don't like Super's modern look either. It reminds me of One Piece in a lot of places too.
Robo4900 wrote: Oh dear. I see... I've heard bad things about the Viz 3-in-1s, actually; I heard the paper is really bad, it's still loaded with censorship despite being advertised otherwise, and it's often actually more expensive than the VizBigs... >_>
But yeah, I've heard it's good, and I do plan on reading it; just gonna wait until Full Colour is doing the beginning.
You're right. The paper quality isn't the greatest but I find it tolerable. I prefer it over the poor binding of the Vizbigs at least.
I would go for Full Color as my definitive version for collection but I actually prefer the black-and-white of the original manga. I can see the anime for the color. Just my opinion though.

Actually, I really wanted to buy the original single volumes and while I can find a good majority of them for purchase on Amazon, there are volumes that seem to be out-of-print and are hard to locate and I really don't want to have an incomplete collection or pay a lot to track down the more rare volumes.

You know, the US has had pretty piss-poor DB manga releases if we're being honest. I would have liked them to release the regular kanzenbans that came out in Japan uncensored and re-done for the most definitive translation but I doubt that will ever happen. I could have the best of both worlds... mostly in black and white but some color chapters here and there to enjoy.

With the Full Colors, I find it odd that they never started with original DB in the first place. It's a relatively recent edition and the original DB series should be popular enough for them to have started there. Odd. Was it this way in Japan too?
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:51 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:Freeza's TOP return is the best thing super has produced, not even an exaggeration, every single scene he has been in has been a delight, hopefully Freeza sticks around after this if DB ever decides to come back..
Dosen't matter how they do it, turn him good, turn him anti hero, retire vegeta, make him the MC, dosen't matter as long as he continues to be this entertaining
Yeahhh I disagree. For a lot of this tournament, Freeza did nothing for me. He had some good moments but the character should be retired. His HOHOHOHOHO laugh every 5 seconds he's on screen is annoying as hell too. Should have stayed retired after Trunks showed up.
I can see why the laugh would irritate you, I didn't find it annoying because I really like his Japanese voice and the actions that go with the laugh are also some of the most hardcore super has produced during it's run..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:Freeza's TOP return is the best thing super has produced, not even an exaggeration, every single scene he has been in has been a delight, hopefully Freeza sticks around after this if DB ever decides to come back..
Dosen't matter how they do it, turn him good, turn him anti hero, retire vegeta, make him the MC, dosen't matter as long as he continues to be this entertaining
Yeahhh I disagree. For a lot of this tournament, Freeza did nothing for me. He had some good moments but the character should be retired. His HOHOHOHOHO laugh every 5 seconds he's on screen is annoying as hell too. Should have stayed retired after Trunks showed up.
I can see why the laugh would irritate you, I didn't find it annoying because I really like his Japanese voice and the actions that go with the laugh are also some of the most hardcore super has produced during it's run..
Oh I love his voice too. And his laugh is fine in short bursts. But Super spams it just like the ATATATATATATA from Nozawa and now i roll my eyes every time I hear it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:02 am

GamerSkull wrote:You're right. The paper quality isn't the greatest but I find it tolerable. I prefer it over the poor binding of the Vizbigs at least.
I would go for Full Color as my definitive version for collection but I actually prefer the black-and-white of the original manga. I can see the anime for the color. Just my opinion though.

Actually, I really wanted to buy the original single volumes and while I can find a good majority of them for purchase on Amazon, there are volumes that seem to be out-of-print and are hard to locate and I really don't want to have an incomplete collection or pay a lot to track down the more rare volumes.
Ah, I see. Understandable.
GamerSkull wrote:You know, the US has had pretty piss-poor DB manga releases if we're being honest. I would have liked them to release the regular kanzenbans that came out in Japan uncensored and re-done for the most definitive translation but I doubt that will ever happen. I could have the best of both worlds... mostly in black and white but some color chapters here and there to enjoy.
Well, from what I understand, the translation is fine, it's just that some of the censorship and naming decisions are somewhat questionable.
GamerSkull wrote:With the Full Colors, I find it odd that they never started with original DB in the first place. It's a relatively recent edition and the original DB series should be popular enough for them to have started there. Odd. Was it this way in Japan too?
It was that way in Japan too, yes. In fact, Japan did the pre-Raditz volumes digital-only.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:07 am

Robo4900 wrote: Well, from what I understand, the translation is fine, it's just that some of the censorship and naming decisions are somewhat questionable.
You're right. The translation is mostly fine but there are just a couple of things that bother me a bit... like "Vegerot" for example. Although that one isn't TOOO bad.
Robo4900 wrote: It was that way in Japan too, yes. In fact, Japan did the pre-Raditz volumes digital-only.
Oh, that's interesting. I wonder why. Does the "Z portion" sell better so they justified a physical release for that?

Anyhow, I hope they don't do digital-only here for the Pre-Saiyan stuff.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:12 am

GamerSkull wrote:You're right. The translation is mostly fine but there are just a couple of things that bother me a bit... like "Vegerot" for example. Although that one isn't TOOO bad.
Honestly, I quite like Vegerot; since they're going with Kakarot instead of Kakarotto, that's really the only non-confusing way to do it.
GamerSkull wrote:Oh, that's interesting. I wonder why. Does the "Z portion" sell better so they justified a physical release for that?

Anyhow, I hope they don't do digital-only here for the Pre-Saiyan stuff.
Yeah, I think the Z stuff does sell a little better. I think Viz may very well do a physical release of the pre-Raditz stuff too; the format of their release is a little different to the Japanese release(The books themselves are much larger), so it's entirely possible. I dunno if that's the route they'll go, but who knows.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18 am

Robo4900 wrote: Honestly, I quite like Vegerot; since they're going with Kakarot instead of Kakarotto, that's really the only non-confusing way to do it.
It's not too bad, I guess. But I keep thinking "Rotten Vegetable" every time I read it.

tbh I wouldn't mind if they just used Kakarotto instead of Kakarot in the Viz manga... but yeah, I guess it's just a minor thing.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:54 am

I consider Dragon Ball Minus canon.

I don't consider "Kakarotto" to be Goku's Saiyan name, and instead attribute it to the Japanese language having almost every word end in a vowel, particularly when pronouncing words.

I like the dub better than the sub (but do like the sub).

And now, I shall duck into another dimension before someone tries to send me there themselves.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:06 am

Ok I'll bite, how do you explain Vegetto then?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:13 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Ok I'll bite, how do you explain Vegetto then?
Honestly? I never really paid attention to the fused names until I was older. But as I said, I consider Karakrot to be Goku's Saiyan name. And just shrug my shoulders at "Vegito".

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:18 am

That...is even worse than I thought, I thought you thought Just "Kakarot" was correct but that just makes things unecesarily complicated.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:01 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:That...is even worse than I thought, I thought you thought Just "Kakarot" was correct but that just makes things unecesarily complicated.
I think the case can be made that Vegetto came around because of that need for a vowel was combined into the fusion name.

But then that opens up another can of worms.

To be honest, I think Kakarotto would just be best since it fits with the fusion names and such and such... but Kakarot does sound better to me.

I also love how some of the characters say it in the dub. Especially when they yell it out or say it in an angry way.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:48 am

Vegetto hardly appears in the grand scheme, so I'm not too concerned about it but since Kakarot has both an "o" and a "t" I just see Vegetto as an anagram.

Now FUNi are using Vegetto, don't have to worry about a random "i" anymore!

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:56 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Vegetto hardly appears in the grand scheme, so I'm not too concerned about it but since Kakarot has both an "o" and a "t" I just see Vegetto as an anagram.

Since when?!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:03 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Vegetto hardly appears in the grand scheme, so I'm not too concerned about it but since Kakarot has both an "o" and a "t" I just see Vegetto as an anagram.

Since when?!
Since as of Buu Kai last year. Was a total surprise to see them ditch the "Vegito" spelling.