Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Vegeta's new form and Trunks new form came out of nowhere but were not any different that how Gohan got a new form out of nowhere in the cell arc and its not like we saw how Goku and Vegeta got ssj2,they got it offscreen.
Beyond Super Saiyan wasn't out of nowhere. Goku and Vegeta had both said they believed there must be a form beyond Super Saiyan. As them getting SS2 off screen, I don't think that's something that necessitated dramatization.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:55 am

ABED wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:
ABED wrote: Several reasons:
I'm not in the mood for more DB having finished a recent rewatch.
I haven't been happy with the majority of these revivals.
Nothing plot-wise sounds tempting to me.
What was the newest DB thing you saw?
Resurrection 'F'.
Same as me then. Never really had interest in Super.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:07 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:
Zephyr wrote: If nothing else, Super's got the Dragon Ball name slapped onto it, so the novelty of "a new Dragon Ball series" can keep even the most serious detractors coming back.
I just can't get behind the mentality of watching every single episode of a show you hate, even if it is related to one you do like. Especially considering that Super is literally 131 episodes long.
Not just "hate watching" that is wasting their time but discussing the show too and then constantly going on about how "bad" it is, all that amounts to time too all on a show they "hate".

Then you have the upmost selfish people saying stuff like "I hope the show stays dead never comes back" etc no one is forcing them to watch the show at all like f**king hell. I dislike GT a lot but even if 1 person in the entire world liked it, then GT is worth it I wouldn't want it erased form existence cuz that would be unfair on that one person. Incidentally I don't talk GT much or even go near GT threads that much why? Because it is only natural for people to avoid something they don't like and I don't want to bring threads down with inevitable negativity.

But for DBS can't even go into any positive threads without the same old people bringing in their shitty negativity in one way or another.
I can't agree more. It's perfectly fine to hate Super. But it's gets annoying when the same people who declare their hatred for the show goes on a forum for people who enjoy it and basically shame them with 'how can you like this'. It's basically the people who despise Twilight, yet reads all the books and watched the movies so they can go on a Twilight forum to mock the fans. Like why?

You're also on point about GT. I don't like GT and I really don't like Super Saiyan 4. Yet, I don't talk about it much or go into the GT section of this forum because I don't feel the need to talk about GT or shame its fans by discussion why GT sucks. Let people like what they like without making them feel like they're eating out of the garbage can.

And I don't buy the 'do well because Dragon Ball' is on the name since by that logic, why the hell did Dragon Ball Evolution fail if quality straight up doesn't matter?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:03 pm

I just realized I actually don't mind Vegeta's "Veggie Mercury" mustache in GT. It actually kinda makes sense that he'd grow one, considering that all the older adult Saiyans we've known had mustaches (Nappa, King Vegeta) and Vegeta's getting into their age range by this time period.

The one thing that bugs me about GT Vegeta's design is the random haircut.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:32 pm

And I don't buy the 'do well because Dragon Ball' is on the name since by that logic, why the hell did Dragon Ball Evolution fail if quality straight up doesn't matter?
Because Evolution was DB in name only and a very different medium - live action film. With the exception of live action adaptations, DB is damn near bullet proof. Don't believe me? I give you season 3 of the in house dub.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:09 am

Whatever wrote:Vegeta's new form and Trunks new form came out of nowhere but were not any different that how Gohan got a new form out of nowhere in the cell arc.
A form beyond Ssj was brought up right when Cell was introduced so there was a lot of forshadowing of it happening. When it did eventually hapen it was explained at the time and later during the Buu arc. Trunks and Vegeta's forms had no forshadowing or explination to what they were or how they came to be. In Trunks' case it was even worse as no one questioned how a Ssj2 could be on par with Blue.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:57 pm

sintzu wrote:
Whatever wrote:Vegeta's new form and Trunks new form came out of nowhere but were not any different that how Gohan got a new form out of nowhere in the cell arc.
A form beyond Ssj was brought up right when Cell was introduced so there was a lot of forshadowing of it happening. When it did eventually hapen it was explained at the time and later during the Buu arc. Trunks and Vegeta's forms had no forshadowing or explination to what they were or how they came to be. In Trunks' case it was even worse as no one questioned how a Ssj2 could be on par with Blue.
I've come to beleive that it’s best not to try to make too much sense of power scaling, especially not in Super.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:07 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I've come to beleive that it’s best not to try to make too much sense of power scaling, especially not in Super.
I gave up on trying to pin down power levels a while ago, but egregious examples of terrible power scaling do interfere with my ability to suspend disbelief.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:40 pm

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I've come to believe that it’s best not to try to make too much sense of power scaling, especially not in Super.
I gave up on trying to pin down power levels a while ago, but egregious examples of terrible power scaling do interfere with my ability to suspend disbelief.
Would it be less egregious if power levels weren’t a thing?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:21 am

ABED wrote:I gave up on trying to pin down power levels a while ago.

Egregious examples of terrible power scaling do interfere with my ability to suspend disbelief.
No one's asking for accurate power numbers, just basic power scaling to show where everyone stands compared to one another.

You'll have to become the biggest Super fanboy to suspend your disbelief and even then that might not be enough. Some of the power decisions (even none power ones) are truly out of this world.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:36 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
I've come to believe that it’s best not to try to make too much sense of power scaling, especially not in Super.
No because in the case I'm thinking of, it's not about numbers, just basic logic. In Revival of F, one of Freeza's minions say that Shisami was as strong as Zarbon and Dodoria in their prime. Somehow he is able to fight on par with Piccolo!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:15 pm

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:I gave up on trying to pin down power levels a while ago, but egregious examples of terrible power scaling do interfere with my ability to suspend disbelief.
No because in the case I'm thinking of, it's not about numbers, just basic logic. In Revival of F, one of Freeza's minions say that Shisami was as strong as Zarbon and Dodoria in their prime. Somehow he is able to fight on par with Piccolo!
Admittedly, that was kind baffling. Some would probably argue that he must’ve been training a lot in four months as well, but that’s still a bad explanation, since there was no indication that Shisami was some prodigy like Freeza. Not to mention that if Shisami was able to become that strong in such a short amount of time, it kind defeats the purpose of resurrecting Freeza to begin with.

Still, out of all the problems I had with RF, that one was fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:41 pm

The point wasn't about the issues with that particular film. It's an example of truly terrible power scaling that interferes with narrative because of how bafflingly illogical it is. It wouldn't even take deep knowledge of DB to get how ridiculous it was.

Pirina_Fusee

Post by Pirina_Fusee » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:45 pm

ABED wrote:The point wasn't about the issues with that particular film. It's an example of truly terrible power scaling that interferes with narrative because of how bafflingly illogical it is. It wouldn't even take deep knowledge of DB to get how ridiculous it was.
Fans of pretty much every fighting-related series take power levels way too seriously if you ask me. It's entirely possible in real life to fight on par with or even defeat someone stronger than you - there's lots of ways it can be done.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:52 pm

This isn't like fighting someone who can lift 100 more lbs than you. There is no real life parallel as the scale is off the charts. It's not like a featherweight fighting a heavyweight. It's like a superheavyweight fighting a baby.

Again, I'm not talking about power scaling needing mathematical precision, but there needs to be a logic to it, especially for a series that is about fighting.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:32 pm

Pantalones wrote:I just realized I actually don't mind Vegeta's "Veggie Mercury" mustache in GT. It actually kinda makes sense that he'd grow one, considering that all the older adult Saiyans we've known had mustaches (Nappa, King Vegeta) and Vegeta's getting into their age range by this time period.

The one thing that bugs me about GT Vegeta's design is the random haircut.
King Vegeta rocked that goatee. Vegeta's problem is that godawful flat top. He looks like a sleazy P.E. teacher from an 80s movie.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:07 pm

Heres a big one: Jiren vs goku the complete fight is tied with goku vs piccolo for best fight in all of Dragon Ball.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:32 am

DragonBallKing wrote:Heres a big one: Jiren vs goku the complete fight is tied with goku vs piccolo for best fight in all of Dragon Ball.
I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. Even people who don't care for Super admit the fight was awesome.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:54 pm

I don't get the "Hit" hype.. He's INSANELY overrated if you ask me. Sure the way he fights is different but to me he hasn't done anything to win me over in anyway. He's just as "bad" as Jiren when it comes to back story if not worse because I don't think really he has one. Even still though I prefer Jiren by a mile if only because he was "Coola" to watch and the build up he had got me excited almost every time he did something.

Also: I think its still too early to put Goku's Fight with Jiren on any pedestal let alone something like Goku V Piccolo in the 23rd tournament. I think its best to wait until the movie comes out and see what happens beyond that to truly see if Super's latest arc has any lasting impact on the series much like everything else that has happened in the Manga.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:40 am

I'm not the biggest fan of Cha-La Head Cha-La. I respect it and everything, but it's just not a song that calls out to me I guess. My favorite in the entire series from Dragon Ball all the way to Super is We Gotta Power by a longshot.