Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:56 pm

I wonder why most Saiyans are drawn with their eyebrows scrunched down in a scowl even when smiling. :think:
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:29 pm

I miss the Earthling Z-fighters and Gohan in the new movie and want to see them in Movie 21.
But I know their character arcs ended in the Cell and ToP arcs.

Also, I do not find Earthling weak memes funny, but that is just me.

I believe in the Dr. Slump/Dragon Ball calendar, ("September 1st 1984 -May 7th 2019", Yadda, yadda, yadda), it's different days of the week than the real world but Dragon World Earth IS Different from our Earth.
Even so I still believe in that calendar.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Minus is worse than Broly's dumb original backstory.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:09 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Minus is worse than Broly's dumb original backstory.
Both are equally dumb for different reasons.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Funimation babidi was well done imo

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:43 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Yeah pretty much. Both are God awful you're just splitting hairs as to which is worse

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:42 am

PFM18 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Yeah pretty much. Both are God awful you're just splitting hairs as to which is worse
What's wrong with Minus? I can see why Broly's original backstory is dumb to some people but why Minus? I like Minus.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:27 am

This is probably the biggest one I have and I may catch some heat for this:

The franchise as a whole would be better off without people who prefer/think the English Dub of Dragon Ball is better.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:24 am

MarCas92 wrote:This is probably the biggest one I have and I may catch some heat for this:

The franchise as a whole would be better off without people who prefer/think the English Dub of Dragon Ball is better.
That would never happen. The global popularity of Dragon Ball is such that differences of opinion and taste are inevitable. In my opinion it doesn't matter which version people like or think is better as long as they always respect the other person's preference. When they don't respect it.... thats where we have problems and the fanbase being split.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:19 am

MarCas92 wrote:This is probably the biggest one I have and I may catch some heat for this:

There is nothing wrong with people who prefer dub as long as they do not use dubbed version to rate series like using Faulconer or Menza scored to say that DBZ/GT has good or bad music. Another case is quoting lines from english or any other dub and bringing them into argument. That mostly applies to GT since it had the worst dub out of all FUNimation dubs for DB adding a lot of plotholes. Not to even mention saying series take place 10 years after Z. And of course Bardock being a brilliant scientist from Z is the true classic now :lol:

So yeah, people who just prefer dub aren't bad. People who use dub to talk about anything related to series itself are bad. That includes very often changed, especially in english dubs, character personalities, voices and dialogues + music if we talk about DBZ/GT.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:56 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:

There is nothing wrong with people who prefer dub as long as they do not use dubbed version to rate series like using Faulconer or Menza scored to say that DBZ/GT has good or bad music. Another case is quoting lines from english or any other dub and bringing them into argument. That mostly applies to GT since it had the worst dub out of all FUNimation dubs for DB adding a lot of plotholes. Not to even mention saying series take place 10 years after Z. And of course Bardock being a brilliant scientist from Z is the true classic now :lol:

So yeah, people who just prefer dub aren't bad. People who use dub to talk about anything related to series itself are bad. That includes very often changed, especially in english dubs, character personalities, voices and dialogues + music if we talk about DBZ/GT.
The large majority of dub fans DO do that though. So often people ask things like "Why did [character] say/do [thing]?" and it's so often due to a complete line change by FUNimation. It doesn't happen here but it happens almost everywhere else. People's blind following of FUNi's dub still leads to so many misconceptions today.

And tons of people DO say DBZ has good music when they're specifically referring to the Faulconer soundtrack. It's like they don't even acknowledge the original soundtrack's existence.

It's extreme, but I'm with MarCas92 on this one. FUNi's dub does nothing redeemable and only hurts the franchise by skewing people's view of the show to this very day.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:32 pm

The DBZ dub especially with the dub music is unwatchable to me (The Kikuchi score makes it more tolerable but even it can’t save s3) but let people like what they wanna like.

Also I totally understood the power of nostalgia. I somehow managed to get through all of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on Netflix with nothing but nostalgia and Amy Jo Johnson’s face getting me through.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:35 pm

Considering that the Uncut Funi Dub does away with the scientist Bardock line I feel using that past example is flawed.

Unpopular opinion: Kanzenshuu as a whole does not cater to US fans enough. To much JPN products around here, what about us US fans.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:44 pm

GTx10 wrote:Considering that the Uncut Funi Dub does away with the scientist Bardock line I feel using that past example is flawed.

Unpopular opinion: Kanzenshuu as a whole does not cater to US fans enough. To much JPN products around here, what about us US fans.
Pretty sure there are plenty of places that cover what US fans care about. Kanzenshuu is intended to be for the fans of the Japanese version of the show. If this site focused on catering to US fans it would become indecipherable from nearly every other English speaking Dragon Ball forum. Us fans need some kind of safe haven from all the dub stuff. This is literally the only place that provides that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:47 pm

GTx10 wrote:Considering that the Uncut Funi Dub does away with the scientist Bardock line I feel using that past example is flawed.
I agree. There’s better examples to cling to.

Like Vegeta’s poor widdle me I’m THE victim who is not responsible for his actions speech when he’s dying

Pretty much anything that comes out of Goku’s mouth in s3

Avoiding the whole Goku really likes to fight thing.

The admins have pretty upfront the Japanese version takes precedence. It’s not like dub only fans can’t post on here. And there’s plenty of forums that do cater to Funi dub fans

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:16 pm

Forte224 wrote: It's extreme, but I'm with MarCas92 on this one. FUNi's dub does nothing redeemable and only hurts the franchise by skewing people's view of the show to this very day.
I personally like english voices and Faulconer sountrack.
Still, FUNimation is the worst thing that happened to franchise. This company kills anime and poisons community.
It's better now, but still their stupid tendency to change even such things as series logos is annoying. Not to mention adding Z into Kai name. I'm still amazed how they didn't put Z into DBS name. Dragon Ball Z Super sounds so good.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:41 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:. Not to mention adding Z into Kai name. .
That was Toei’s decision not Funimation as I recall.

I prefer Dragon Ball Z Kai because it’s a more honest title. That its covering strictly the Z portion of the original anime

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Forte224 wrote:It's extreme, but I'm with MarCas92 on this one. FUNi's dub does nothing redeemable and only hurts the franchise by skewing people's view of the show to this very day.
Completely 100% co-signing onto all of this. It isn't even about personal preference, its about the waters of the fandom's entire perspective on even the barebones basic fundamentals of what the series is and is about getting poisoned for so many years now by a "reversioning" of its story and presentation that was all along from the getgo of its inception 100% entirely pointless and unnecessary.

When you have a martial arts fantasy series that has been a pop cultural mainstay for over 20 years now (at least in U.S. terms: much longer globally) and its somehow still genuinely controversial and startling to people who even consider themselves "hardcore fans" anytime its ever pointed out that its even a martial arts fantasy series in any way whatsoever... that speaks VOLUMES as to how radically you've shifted the perspective on just what the core creative identity of this entity even is supposed to be.

So much of that comes back to not just even the dub itself, but also how its been MARKETED throughout the years. Decades worth of misaimed, misaligned, purposefully deceptive, and just generally confused, muddled, and hopelessly tone deaf marketing play just as big a role in Western misconceptions about the series as the actual dub itself does.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:36 pm

Hulk10 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Both are equally dumb for different reasons.
What's wrong with Minus? I can see why Broly's original backstory is dumb to some people but why Minus? I like Minus.
Watch Mistare Fusion's video review on it from Dragon Ball Dissection. Short of it is it's not a story due to being a segment of rushed plot points, it retcons the original Bardock special (which was great), it does what bad prequels do & fits in cameos of characters who serve no purpose whatsoever (kid Raditz talking to kid Vegeta for example), it makes Goku's backstory even MORE like Superman's (don't think I need to tell you why that was awful), it retcons what Toriyama previously put into the manga by his direct reference to the special, & it makes the original material from before it less special & interesting by changing Goku's parents. It's established that the Saiyans were a warrior race who didn't care about anything except themselves, so the special made Bardock that. Bardock, originally, was portrayed as this. Not a good person, just someone who found out his people were in danger by Frieza, so he tried to save them all, but died trying to do so. In this rebooted version in Minus, it retcons Bardock's character into someone far less interesting & true to who you'd expect to be Goku's father. Then Goku's mom. She's not that either. She's the stereotypical housewife, who's impossibly the opposite of the rest of the Saiyans, which is supposed to be why Goku's like that too, even though Toriyama explained Goku's like how h is because he smashed his head against a rock. It's just a lesser version of what we got before. That's why it sucks.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:52 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:

Forte224 wrote:It's extreme, but I'm with MarCas92 on this one. FUNi's dub does nothing redeemable and only hurts the franchise by skewing people's view of the show to this very day.
Completely 100% co-signing onto all of this. It isn't even about personal preference, its about the waters of the fandom's entire perspective on even the barebones basic fundamentals of what the series is and is about getting poisoned for so many years now by a "reversioning" of its story and presentation that was all along from the getgo of its inception 100% entirely pointless and unnecessary.

When you have a martial arts fantasy series that has been a pop cultural mainstay for over 20 years now (at least in U.S. terms: much longer globally) and its somehow still genuinely controversial and startling to people who even consider themselves "hardcore fans" anytime its ever pointed out that its even a martial arts fantasy series in any way whatsoever... that speaks VOLUMES as to how radically you've shifted the perspective on just what the core creative identity of this entity even is supposed to be.

So much of that comes back to not just even the dub itself, but also how its been MARKETED throughout the years. Decades worth of misaimed, misaligned, purposefully deceptive, and just generally confused, muddled, and hopelessly tone deaf marketing play just as big a role in Western misconceptions about the series as the actual dub itself does.
Wait, it comes as a shock that it's a martial arts fantasy series? What do they think it is?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.