Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun May 21, 2017 5:35 pm

AloversGaming wrote:The Cell Games is one of the uglier settings for a final fight the franchise has had. Made more bland and forgetful when compared to the beauty that was Namek.
Namek is jusy another monotonous giant wasteland for the characters to fights, the only difference being the green color pallete.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun May 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
AloversGaming wrote:The Cell Games is one of the uglier settings for a final fight the franchise has had. Made more bland and forgetful when compared to the beauty that was Namek.
Namek is jusy another monotonous giant wasteland for the characters to fights, the only difference being the green color pallete.
Along with the suns, buildings, and trees it stood out enough for it to be very different to what was shown before. Cell Games is nothing but another wasteland, one that doesn't even come close to the wasteland/mountain side where Goku & Vegeta fought.

Namek had a very unique look from the start, and as the arc went on it became even more interesting. The entire fight between Goku and Freeza constantly changed the planet's appearance due to damage until is reduced to a red skied, lava flowing death trap.

Cell Games location looks no different to every background shot seen when Goku is casually traveling Earth. The only difference was it had a ring for a few minutes before Cell blew it up.

I'd go further and say Super has shown battles in locations far more interesting than the Cell Games showed. Black Arc had rarely seen in city battles, and Goku vs. 17 had beautiful backgrounds and a battle taking place at sunset made it far more pleasing to the eye. Plus, dolphins.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon May 22, 2017 5:13 am

AloversGaming wrote: I'd go further and say Super has shown battles in locations far more interesting than the Cell Games showed. Black Arc had rarely seen in city battles, and Goku vs. 17 had beautiful backgrounds and a battle taking place at sunset made it far more pleasing to the eye. Plus, dolphins.
TO be fair, where Z was mostly wastelands, Super has replaced that with 'random fuck off rock on the ocean'
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:19 pm

Freeza's been run so far into the ground, his role in the new arc might just succeed in salvaging him, at least a little. And this is coming from a guy who detests F.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 22, 2017 2:25 pm

If only they let Freeza die at the end of the Freeza arc instead of constantly retreading him. Holding on to great villains often takes away from what made them great. They usually lose their mystique and what made them special. One of the reasons Professor Moriarty is such a great villain is because he was only in one of the original Sherlock Holmes stories. If Doyle constantly used him, both he and Sherlock would look far less effective.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon May 22, 2017 2:29 pm

ABED wrote:If only they let Freeza die at the end of the Freeza arc instead of constantly retreading him.
Personally, I think this time they're doing what they should do when bringing a villain back. Try to use them differently/ Before, every time Frieza came back it was basically retreading the same ground. Here? They're actually trying something unique (For Frieza at least) by having him forced to work with Goku
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon May 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote:If only they let Freeza die at the end of the Freeza arc instead of constantly retreading him.
Personally, I think this time they're doing what they should do when bringing a villain back. Try to use them differently/ Before, every time Frieza came back it was basically retreading the same ground. Here? They're actually trying something unique (For Frieza at least) by having him forced to work with Goku
I get that, but its too soon to tell. A great concept is only half the battle without execution, its not unusual for a storyline in Dragon Ball to only have one (that is the case with GT and Super for the most part), and ultimately that will come down to how Goku tries to entice Freeza to participate.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 22, 2017 5:20 pm

Thing is, they haven't really retreaded him that much all things considered, but RoF only ended about a year and a half ago (and for the second time). Then there's that Not_Freeza guy that still exists. It's just too soon.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 22, 2017 6:56 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Thing is, they haven't really retreaded him that much all things considered, but RoF only ended about a year and a half ago (and for the second time). Then there's that Not_Freeza guy that still exists. It's just too soon.
He was the big bad of the Freeza arc, then he was killed off like he was nothing by Trunks in the next arc, and if we count GT and the movies, he became a punchline. Then there's Revival of F.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon May 22, 2017 6:59 pm

ABED wrote: He was the big bad of the Freeza arc, then he was killed off like he was nothing by Trunks in the next arc, and if we count GT and the movies, he became a punchline. Then there's Revival of F.
Which is why that I'm hoping they'll do something different with the character in the Universal Survival Arc. You can't just keep bringing Freeza back as the new threat or punchline. Eventually you have to do something new with the character otherwise it stagnates and starts to rot. The Universal Survival Arc, I'm hoping at the very least will add new dimensions to his character as a whole.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon May 22, 2017 7:04 pm

I think that the King Piccolo saga was the best saga in DB.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon May 22, 2017 7:05 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I think that the King Piccolo saga was the best saga in DB.
I would argue that the Search For The Dragon Balls arc was the best saga so far of what I've read. King Piccolo was fantastic no doubt about it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Gog wrote:
ABED wrote: He was the big bad of the Freeza arc, then he was killed off like he was nothing by Trunks in the next arc, and if we count GT and the movies, he became a punchline. Then there's Revival of F.
Which is why that I'm hoping they'll do something different with the character in the Universal Survival Arc. You can't just keep bringing Freeza back as the new threat or punchline. Eventually you have to do something new with the character otherwise it stagnates and starts to rot. The Universal Survival Arc, I'm hoping at the very least will add new dimensions to his character as a whole.
I get that, and I'll still watch, but my preference would be to have him stay dead and gone.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon May 22, 2017 11:14 pm

ABED wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
He was the big bad of the Freeza arc, then he was killed off like he was nothing by Trunks in the next arc, and if we count GT and the movies, he became a punchline. Then there's Revival of F.
Agreed. And let's not forget all the other characters voiced by Nakao that only exist to evoke Freeza-like memories in the audience or fill in a Freeza-esque role: Coola, Metal Coola, Chilled, Frost... Ugh. I am so sick of Freeza and all the Freeza clones. Remember when Freeza was cool and not so overexposed?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon May 22, 2017 11:15 pm

ABED wrote:If only they let Freeza die at the end of the Freeza arc instead of constantly retreading him. Holding on to great villains often takes away from what made them great. They usually lose their mystique and what made them special. One of the reasons Professor Moriarty is such a great villain is because he was only in one of the original Sherlock Holmes stories. If Doyle constantly used him, both he and Sherlock would look far less effective.
I agree with you on this one, but would you change his death by Future Trunks?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue May 23, 2017 12:59 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Remember when Freeza was cool and not so overexposed?
I never understood this concept, freeza was and is cool..
Just because you see a character you like multiple times changes their coolness?
If this is about humiliation, who isn't humiliated fighting Goku, expect berrus..
Freeza is as good as he was before
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 23, 2017 1:00 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
Just because you see a character you like multiple times changes their coolness?
If this is about humiliation, who isn't humiliated fighting Goku, expect berrus..
"Coolness" isn't an inexhaustible trait. If you drag Freeza out of the mud so many times, the premise will run thin.
Retired.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue May 23, 2017 1:02 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
"Coolness" isn't an inexhaustible trait. If you drag Freeza out of the mud so many times, the premise will run thin.
I don't know about that, someone failing before goku never made me think less of them..
And what you mentioned if is the case, freeza now gets a chance to interact with others and not be humiliated once, this is a good thing as I see it
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 23, 2017 6:48 am

Losing to Goku doesn't mean they are dragged through the mud. Freeza lost a hard fought battle. He took everything Goku threw at him. Hell, he survived all that and the planet exploding. I don't think he should have survived only to be jobbed out to Trunks, but be that as it may, Freeza was a great villain and losing to Goku didn't undercut him. Being a perpetual punching bag afterwards did.
It can.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Freeza's latest return does have a benefit the other one's don't: he'll be doing something different this time. Literally the mentality behind AAALLLL of his comebacks was to use him as a punching back to make someone look cool.

Now he's gotta interact with these people he despises and cooperate with them, potentially work to screw them by conspiring with the enemy or to make himself look better,...
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):