Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by sintzu » Sat May 30, 2015 7:52 am

ABED wrote: Lastly it wouldn't have made a lick of sense to keep those characters dead since the whole reason the arc takes place is because Kuririn, Gohan, and Bulma go to Namek in order to revive their friends.
I know but if you're going to bring someone with so much potential like Piccolo back then do something with him.

Look at what Vegeta got when he was brought back :

He got the Ssj form,saved Goku's life,took down a villain in style,stole Yamcha's girlfriend,had a son who ended up being a hero of another timeline,being the 1st to reach the assj level then beating up Cell,helped Gohan finish the main villain of the arc,got an epic rematch with Goku,arguably the best sacrifice in the story,being the only Z fighter present at the final battle of the manga,being the only one to hold his own against Beerus without ssjg,getting trained by whis then finally defeating a main villain.

Going by the above it's safe to say he's going to continue to play a main role in Super which is something I'd like to see Piccolo do as well.
Last edited by sintzu on Sat May 30, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 30, 2015 8:02 am

I agree that Toriyama isn't good at making the best use of all of his characters, but it doesn't mean they should stay dead in order to take them off the show. Toriyama gave an organic reason for Tenshinhan to stay off the show for extended periods.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Sat May 30, 2015 10:49 am

-Both Vegeta and Goku are uninteresting, and they both should have stayed dead.

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:11 am

I feel as if the reasons why Yamcha and Chaozu being left behind is bullshit. I know that Ten told them to stay behind because he didn't want them getting killed, but I'm surprised he didn't say anything when he saw that Roshi appeared on his own.

Yamcha is actually one of my favorite characters, even though he's the chew toy (besides Krillin and Vegeta) of the Dragon Ball universe

Vegeta's hair in his SSJ form should look different, unless being an "elite" Saiyan means your hair is closer to that of the SSJ form.

I think that even though Earthlings start out very weak compared to other intelligent species in the universe, I think they have some of the highest potential outside of Saiyans and Namekians. I mean, Yamcha went from being weaker than Goku in the 23rd Budokai, to being stronger than him when he fought Raditz in the Saiyan saga. The fact that Krillin's unlocked potential boosted him higher than Ten permanently makes me think that maybe most Earthlings have at least some hidden potential. Gohan, who is half-Earthling sure does.

I think Tullece should have stayed on Earth with his wife, even if he's extremely weak. Why not have the last pure-blooded Saiyans all on one planet (unless Dragon Ball Super introduces more from the Saiyan homeworld/colony/whatever, which I hope won't be true)?

When it comes to some fans who think Goku and Bulma should have became a couple, I highly disagree. They have a nice brother-sister relationship, and even though she has found Goku attractive, that doesn't mean they should be married or anything.

And finally, while I LOVE the fact that Roshi is kicking ass for the first time in over 25 years (if you include World's Strongest) or even further back officially in the 22nd Budokai/King Piccolo saga, we need an official reason why he's able to kick the asses of Freeza's soldiers. Was he also training? Are those soldier's he wiped out weaker than when Freeza's empire was in its golden days?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat May 30, 2015 11:27 am

sonikku956 wrote:I think Tullece should have stayed on Earth with his wife, even if he's extremely weak. Why not have the last pure-blooded Saiyans all on one planet (unless Dragon Ball Super introduces more from the Saiyan homeworld/colony/whatever, which I hope won't be true)?
Turles had a wife?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 30, 2015 11:41 am

sonikku956 wrote:I think Tullece should have stayed on Earth with his wife, even if he's extremely weak. Why not have the last pure-blooded Saiyans all on one planet (unless Dragon Ball Super introduces more from the Saiyan homeworld/colony/whatever, which I hope won't be true)?
Aren't you thinking of Tarble?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 30, 2015 12:04 pm

-Both Vegeta and Goku are uninteresting, and they both should have stayed dead.
That's quite the claim.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 pm

Goku: Liked him in DB, and even early Z. Afterwards, he became the terrible father and husband that everyone was discussing just recently. In the Buu saga, he only served to eat screentime that should have went to other characters, and wasn't interesting in the least. He got stronger, sure, but that doesn't make him a good character.

Vegeta: He was actually somewhat tolerable as a villain. Later on, he turns to the good side despite doing little to earn it, and the narrative glorifies him more than most other characters. Another screentime hog. He's even worse than Goku, to me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 30, 2015 12:47 pm

Why should it have gone to other characters? Is Gohan somehow more interesting? And I don't know if Vegeta is glorified in the narrative so much as it is the fans that conveniently forget who he is. And Goku's not a terrible father, he won't win father of the year, but he's certainly not god awful.
Another screentime hog. He's even worse than Goku, to me
You make it sound like he's an actual person who gets more screen time through diva behavior. Toriyama thought he was interesting and more suited for the lead role and I agree. It shouldn't even matter if Vegeta's that good a person, as long as he's interesting. The one thing I do wish Toriyama had done with him is not bring him back to life. Vegeta should've went to Hell after Kid Buu was defeated.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Sat May 30, 2015 1:07 pm

Because other characters were given the shaft and needed it, Goku didn't need yet another achievement to his name. And yes, Gohan is a lot more interesting. His fanbase is one of the worst, but even then, he's given too many chances.

He and Goku ate the rest of the cast's screentime.
"as long as he's interesting." Which he isn't.
He really should have, as Hell was all he deserved.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 30, 2015 1:35 pm

gohann wrote:Because other characters were given the shaft and needed it, Goku didn't need yet another achievement to his name. And yes, Gohan is a lot more interesting. His fanbase is one of the worst, but even then, he's given too many chances.

It's not real, it's Akira Toriyama's story. He's not obligated to give anyone the spotlight he doesn't think is interesting enough. It's Goku's book.

I do find Vegeta interesting. Gohan is less interesting because no matter how much he "grows up" Toriyama always writes that he needs his hand held. I find battle maniacs like Goku and Vegeta more interesting in a story centered on fighting.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 30, 2015 1:49 pm

ABED wrote:Vegeta should've went to Hell after Kid Buu was defeated.
If the author is writing stories that use him right then there's no need to keep him dead.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 30, 2015 1:52 pm

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:Vegeta should've went to Hell after Kid Buu was defeated.
If the author is writing stories that use him right then there's no need to keep him dead.
And what stories have been written after the Boo arc that used him right? The JSAT special where he spoke for no more than 2 minutes? How about Battle of Gods where he got an asspull power-up and his efforts did absolutely nothing against Beerus? Or maybe Resurrection 'F' where he beat down an already tired opponent and still failed to defeat him, needing Goku to save him? Vegeta has been constantly useless, or close to useless anyway, for most of the series.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Sat May 30, 2015 1:57 pm

ABED wrote:
gohann wrote:Because other characters were given the shaft and needed it, Goku didn't need yet another achievement to his name. And yes, Gohan is a lot more interesting. His fanbase is one of the worst, but even then, he's given too many chances.

It's not real, it's Akira Toriyama's story. He's not obligated to give anyone the spotlight he doesn't think is interesting enough. It's Goku's book.

I do find Vegeta interesting. Gohan is less interesting because no matter how much he "grows up" Toriyama always writes that he needs his hand held. I find battle maniacs like Goku and Vegeta more interesting in a story centered on fighting.
No, and people aren't obligated to like it, either. As fans, we're entitled to call out a writer on any fuck-ups we think they may have made.

Gohan has more to his personality, while Goku and Vegeta get worse and worse. Gohan should have been more independent and a stronger person, but I still think he's better than those two.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Doctor. wrote:
How about Battle of Gods where he got an asspull power-up and his efforts did absolutely nothing against Beerus?

Or maybe Resurrection 'F' where he beat down an already tired opponent and still failed to defeat him,

needing Goku to save him ?

Vegeta has been constantly useless, or close to useless anyway, for most of the series.
A gag special ?

He did more then Goku did before he went Ssjg.

Beating him to the point where he loses his golden form and can't stand up isn't a win ?

Didn't Goku need saving after he got a hole though his heart ?

You must not remember the story very well so here's a biography of Vegeta's role in it :

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Vegeta#Biography

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 30, 2015 2:06 pm

gohann wrote: No, and people aren't obligated to like it, either. As fans, we're entitled to call out a writer on any fuck-ups we think they may have made.
How would you've wrote Gohan in the story ?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 30, 2015 2:13 pm

sintzu wrote:A gag special?
Where some characters still managed to shine. Namely Goten and Trunks, as obvious, Gohan as a mentor and the humans.
sintzu wrote:He did more then Goku did before he went Ssjg.
With an asspull power-up, like I very clearly stated. And it's irrelevant either way because both of their efforts did absolutely nothing in the end except make Beerus get bored.
sintzu wrote:Beating him to the point where he loses his golden form and can't stand up isn't a win ?
No, he died, that's all that matters. Call Freeza cheap, he got the job done, Vegeta was absolutely worthless.
sintzu wrote:Didn't Goku need saving after he got a hole though his heart ?
And that's something that any other character in the cast could have done if they had Vegeta's power. Vegeta hasn't left any positive impact in the storyline after his revival based on his personality or actions alone.
sintzu wrote:You must not remember the story very well so here's a biography of Vegeta's role in it :
I remember the series quite well, I've re-read it plenty of times. After the Namek arc, Vegeta has done absolutely nothing positive that couldn't have been done by someone else if they had the same power as him. The same doesn't hold true if we're talking about, say, Goku. Replace Goku with anyone else in the final battle against Freeza (and give them the same battle power Goku had) and you can be sure Freeza wouldn't have been given so many opportunities to live. Instead of a positive asset to the story, all he was for the plot was a hindrance, with the Cell and Boo arcs being easily avoidable if not for his stupidity.

But a negative impact can still be called using a character right, I guess.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Sat May 30, 2015 2:21 pm

sintzu wrote:
gohann wrote: No, and people aren't obligated to like it, either. As fans, we're entitled to call out a writer on any fuck-ups we think they may have made.
How would you've wrote Gohan in the story ?
Basically the same, but he's more independent and Goku would not be factored in. He would take over Goku's role as protector of the earth as he should have, then settle down with a family and kids while still training in case of new threats.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat May 30, 2015 2:24 pm

sintzu wrote:How would you've wrote Gohan in the story ?
Emphasize his scholarly/analytical tendancies, mixed with his permanently-high power from Mystic removing him from traditional (well, DB-traditional) martial arts. Movie 13 and Yo! did something like this where he sees through Hildegarn's teleporting and Avo and Cado's technique, then coaches Goten and Trunks.

So while Vegeta employs pure force to overwhelm the opponent and Goku uses a loose, reactive style, Gohan would fight more like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGCMfprPJoA&t=1m33s

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 30, 2015 2:33 pm

Doctor. wrote: No, he died, that's all that matters.
it's been retconned by Whis so it doesn't matter at all.