Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:44 am

How was Yamcha the measuring stick?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:24 am

ABED wrote:How was Yamcha the measuring stick?
. His rep from the earlier fight with Goku is what the main character uses to sell Jackie Chun as someone stronger that he`s ever seen, even before Yamcha is out of the ring.

. Baba Demon`s Toilet where he reaches third round is used to contrast with the ease Goku takes Mummy and Akumman.

. Yamcha is the first to give a real challenge to Tenshinhan and is self explanatory.

. His fall with Gero is to give the villain the necessary start up in stolen energy, effectively introducing a mechanic that is used to weaken Goku and get the drop on Piccolo before Gohan`s save. He`s also explicity given a power reading that sells these androids - who are weaker than the others to begin wih - on a higher plateu tha anything that has happened on Earth up at this point.

Those are the easy ones.
Last edited by Olympian on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:28 am

DragonBallKing wrote:Fuimation,Toei,Toriyama,TFS they all love to take a shot at him to fuel his status as a giant meme. I still like his character for what it's worth.
Toryama never explicity takes a shot at the meme thing until Super and neither really does Toei. The best example at the time was Yamcha winging training for the androids by goofing around at the gym where in the chapter artwork in the manga he`s seen training with the usual focus like everybody else, Chiatzu included.

Toei later adresses the shot back with the Olibu scene. Even then, with not training seriously, Toei almost always made him look better than Kuririn in comparsion.
DragonBallKing wrote:And in DB he was still a joke with his fear of women gag as well as being a measuring stick each tournament, are fans still not getting this? He still has his cool moments but you can't act like he hasn't always been the butt of jokes. I like Yamcha as well but I like both sides of the character.
I get the message you`re trying to come across but not a single character in Dragon Ball is without gag elements. Not one. Yamcha being a otherwise badass who could challenge the main character of the story but is afraid of pretty girls is just that, a gag element, that wouldn´t impair him unless he was actually fighting a pretty girl back then. His skill and the lip service he`s gotten over the origial work and anime are proof enough. Nobody calls Roshi a wash out anymore despite staying on the sidelines far longer with an equalling empairing gag element that oftentimes comes across as straight rape tendencies but it`s the culture, it`s seen as a gag.

Goku is a mountain child always clueless about everything that is not about fighting and that appearantly to this day still doesn`t know how babies are made or who`s never kissed his own wife, Beerus is a purple talking cat (not new I know) who`s the second strongest being in the universe who`s always hungry for more fast food tamtrums and we can count by the hand the number of times Kuririn was directly mocked or laugthed at by being bald or having no nose - none of that empaired the characters at being good at the main thing in the Manga: fighting. All Toryama/Toei is now doing is simply aknowledging in the show proper, the meme status of Yamcha and trying to subverted it in an episode where he does win, where he takes out the main character of the show because he doesn`t know how to play the game, where he stays out and survives something you shouldn`t while everybody else is behind the shield and the thing is used not to mock but subvert.

There`s the bad aspect of course, with trying to aknowledge something 10 years too late or how unecessary it is in the first place, I`m aware.

But alas, everybody is made to laugh and these days more than ever with Super playing more comedy bits since the OG.

Don`t believe me?

Crying Vegeta figure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB1j49TZHIk

Last edited by Olympian on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:32 am

A measuring stick is the standard, usually your best. Yamcha would not be that guy. Yamcha has a long history of losing fights, and at what point is it unimpressive when he loses to a stronger fighter? When Goku loses, you know it means something.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:56 am

You can ask Toryama one day if you get the chance. I`m not the one who wrote Kuririn and Goku in awe of Chun with Goku stating Yamcha is that good because of the fight they had.

Maybe more accurately woudld be to consider Yamcha in DB a measure stick, since he`s not the only one. Vegeta takes the jobber role pretty well since he was beaten on Earth and so does Piccolo in 90% of his movie appearances.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:09 am

Olympian wrote:You can ask Toryama one day if you get the chance. I`m not the one who wrote Kuririn and Goku in awe of Chun with Goku stating Yamcha is that good because of the fight they had.

Maybe more accurately woudld be to consider Yamcha in DB a measure stick, since he`s not the only one. Vegeta takes the jobber role pretty well since he was beaten on Earth and so does Piccolo in 90% of his movie appearances.
So Yamcha is a measuring stick because he had a good fight years ago, but because Vegeta gets beaten a bunch of times, he's a jobber? Yamcha's the jobber. Beating him means nothing. Vegeta reaches damn near every milestone Goku does not that long afterward and yet HE is the jobber? While he loses a lot, beating Vegeta still means something. The cyborgs defeating Yamcha meant nothing. We still have zero idea how strong they are because Yamcha is among the weakest of the supporting characters. Goku losing to 19 meant way more and is a far better measuring stick.
You can ask Toryama one day if you get the chance.
I'm asking you because you were the one making the assertion.

Once the strength of the characters goes to ungodly levels it does, beating Yamcha is not a useful frame of reference.
Yamcha is the first to give a real challenge to Tenshinhan and is self explanatory.
Uh, he's the first to challenge Tenshinhan in the main tournament, and by the end of the tournament, it's very clear that Tenshinhan wasn't using any of his real strength. Muten Roshi put up a better fight.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:32 am

ABED wrote: Yamcha is a measuring stick because he had a good fight years ago, but because Vegeta gets beaten a bunch of times, he's a jobber? Yamcha's the jobber. Beating him means nothing. Vegeta reaches damn near every milestone Goku does not that long afterward and yet HE is the jobber? While he loses a lot, beating Vegeta still means something. The cyborgs defeating Yamcha meant nothing. We still have zero idea how strong they are because Yamcha is among the weakest of the supporting characters. Goku losing to 19 meant way more and is a far better measuring stick.
Vegeta is most certainly a classic jobber most of the time. He gets zenkais, talks loud and usually gets the snot beaten out of him under Toryama`s pen. Gero stabing Yamcha means nothing to you but what was the stolen energy used for? To get a drop on Piccolo to start with.

No qualms about Goku being the major measure stick, Dragon Ball simply doesn`t have the luxury of using him as one often because 90% of the times he hardly loses. Someone needs to introduce the villains so he doesn`t really work unless a scene plays like the TOP with Jiren or a King Piccolo sequence, aka: where Goku gets a second chance at the main antagonist after being the first to have the go at it. In those two scenes, he`s certainly the measure stick.
ABED wrote:I'm asking you because you were the one making the assertion.
The assertion comes from dialogue written in the Manga.
ABED wrote:Uh, he's the first to challenge Tenshinhan in the main tournament, and by the end of the tournament, it's very clear that Tenshinhan wasn't using any of his real strength. Muten Roshi put up a better fight.
It`s also made clear before they fight (and the anime used it to good effect) that Yamcha and Tenshinhan already hated each other`s guts before the match. He promply admits after the initial exchange of blows that Yamcha is indeed as good as he talks and after the fight where Chiatzu claims he had it easy, Tenshinhan says otherwise, whether he uses all he`s got or not.

Roshi didn`t use his full strenght against Tenshinhan either, the assassin even muses at it. He resigned and gave up because he finally saw a whole generation of new guns with the tools to surpass his own.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:41 pm

What do you think a measuring stick is?

xpNc

Post by xpNc » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:13 pm

The Super Manga is way too fast paced. It feels like supplementary material rather than the definitive product.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:19 pm

xpNc wrote:The Super Manga is way too fast paced. It feels like supplementary material rather than the definitive product.
and Super Anime is way too slow.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:50 pm

I actually adored the ending of the Future Trunks' arc, although i realize this is an unpopular opinion, since it is one of the most controversial topics and has been bashed countless times in the past. The good guy didn't defeat the mean guy and live happily ever after, so -clearly- it was a garbage ending /s.

As I adore Zamasu (he is, in fact, my absolute favourite character), you can't imagine how good it felt to watch Zamasu get his own back on Goku and friends and destroy almost every mortal in the Future timeline, succeeding in his twisted goal. His power was endless, he had transcended into a being beyond anyone's comprehension, as he merged with the Universe itself and became the very ideals of 'Order' and 'Justice'. This ending was foreshadowed throughout the arc. For example, when Goku Black was able to transcend time and space and tear a rift through the fabric of reality, boldly claiming that his power had surpassed even his own divine comprehension. Or when Gowasu mentioned twice that Fused Zamasu possessed an immortal soul and was blessed with endless potential and power. So it didn't really come out of the blue. There was build-up (albeit somewhat subtle) to Zamasu returning as an ethereal and spiritual 4th dimensional being and possessing the Universe.

Plus, for the first time, the good guys couldn't just use the Dragon Balls to restore what the villain undid. The Future timeline was gone forever. Although at the expense of his life, Zamasu ultimate achieved his twisted goal and put an end to all mortal life in the Future, and there is nothing Trunks and friends could do about it. Now, Trunks will spend the rest of his days tormented by his failure to protect his world, and by the shame brought by his crushing defeat. A fitting punishment for the heinous sins he committed against the sacred laws of the Gods.

I guess you could argue that Trunks didn't deserve to lose everything he had fought for, especially after he went through a lot of pain to defeat the Androids and Zamasu, but that's the point of the ending. It shows that there isn't always a positive outcome, that the good guys can also lose.

Fantastic and surprisingly tragic and mature ending to a superb arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:00 pm

I guess you could argue that Trunks didn't deserve to lose everything he had fought for, especially after he went through a lot of pain to defeat the Androids and Zamasu, but that's the point of the ending. It shows that there isn't always a positive outcome, that the good guys can also lose.
To be fair, Trunks may have defeated the cyborgs, and his world rebuilt itself after years of being terrorized, but there was still loss. He's still the sole hero left. I know what you mean by good guys can lose, but his victory against them was far from easy.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:46 pm

I prefer the look of SSJB over SSJG. I just think the contrast of colors worked best, mainly in the ROF/ Champa arc outfits. Another reason they should have kept them :x .
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:57 pm

ABED wrote:
Olympian wrote:You can ask Toryama one day if you get the chance. I`m not the one who wrote Kuririn and Goku in awe of Chun with Goku stating Yamcha is that good because of the fight they had.

So Yamcha is a measuring stick because he had a good fight years ago, but because Vegeta gets beaten a bunch of times, he's a jobber? Yamcha's the jobber. Beating him means nothing. Vegeta reaches damn near every milestone Goku does not that long afterward and yet HE is the jobber? While he loses a lot, beating Vegeta still means something. The cyborgs defeating Yamcha meant nothing. We still have zero idea how strong they are because Yamcha is among the weakest of the supporting characters. Goku losing to 19 meant way more and is a far better measuring stick.
I'd agree that Yamcha is a measuring stick, just not a measuring stick of power. His defeats usually aren't there to make the villain look stronger, it's there to make the villain look villainous. Him being beaten is simply the equivalent of the villain kicking a defenseless puppy.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:03 pm

The "useless" characters were all used properly and contributed what they needed to for the story. If they all got more "development" the series would have dragged on more than it needed to, even without filler.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:06 pm

This is semantics, so take it or leave it, but I wouldn't consider that a measuring stick. I'd say Yamcha serves as a sacrificial pawn, but one we care about. Hopefully we like Yamcha so that when Dr. Gero almost kills him, it matters to the audience. Feel free to figure out a better analogy than that, but he's not THE or even A measuring stick.
If they all got more "development" the series would have dragged on more than it needed to, even without filler.
Not if the story and characters were developed more effectively.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 am

The best one is arguably the main character but Chun`s rep isn`t introduced when he fights Goku, it`s introduced when he fights Yamcha and easily winds him off the ring after dancing around the attack that previously downed the main character. The ease at which he pulls it off it is what makes Goku be in awe of Chun since it`s a feat he could never have replicate at this point.

If the best is Goku and he hardly fights at first any opponent the longer the Manga goes on, who then gets to introduce them? The supporting cast who trails beside him, those are the next best uses to show off how powerful they are. That`s what jobbers are designed for.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:00 am

Jackie Chun is Muten Roshi. We know Jackie is good because we know Roshi is good. Tossing Yamcha out of the ring wasn't nearly as impressive as his match with Goku.
That`s what jobbers are designed for.
Since we are using wrestling terms, a measuring stick isn't the same as a jobber. A jobber just allows the stars to look strong for a short time and show off. Flair was often called "the measuring stick".

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:22 pm

MR.Mark wrote:By the Cell arc Goku didn't seem to care about a rematch with Vegeta anymore.
Goku don't seem to care about rematches when he surpasses his rivals (apart from Tien and Hit)
xpNc wrote:The Super Manga is way too fast paced. It feels like supplementary material rather than the definitive product.
But it's not the definitive product. Don't know why people ever came with this idea, the anime is the main product and the manga just serves to promote the latter.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:23 pm

Dragon Ball is capable of being translated to live action, most fans are to biased because they're so used to watching the anime a million times.