Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: its somehow still genuinely controversial and startling to people who even consider themselves "hardcore fans" anytime its ever pointed out that its even a martial arts fantasy series in any way whatsoever.
Which is bizarre to me. Even when you take into account the hardcore Faulconer score and the constipated WWE grunts from the dub cast the martials arts aspect is still inexplicably there. The main character even said he was trained in “The Kame Sennin style of martial arts” in the Saban era Funi dub. Plus you had Worlds Martial Arts Tournaments. Even someone who only knows the dub thinks they’re not watching a martial arts show?

It’s like Funimation’s whole vendetta to remove the more Eastern aspects (No mention of Krillin being a Buddhist, the original score sounds “too Japanese” replace it with an American score, remove any Eastern concepts what so ever” it was all kind of pointless. Because anyone who even casually glimpsed on the show, even the rebranded Funi dub, should be able to pick on its Eastern origins

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:21 pm

MarCas92 wrote:This is probably the biggest one I have and I may catch some heat for this:

The franchise as a whole would be better off without people who prefer/think the English Dub of Dragon Ball is better.
Opposite opinion. The franchise would be better off without people like this who care that much about people who prefer a different language for a cartoon.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:26 pm

Its their opinion, sure its by their own admission a controversial and even rude one but its their opinion. Also, the Funimation dub. at least in the old days was very far from just being "An English Version of Dragon Ball" no, it transformed the whole show.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:36 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MarCas92 wrote:This is probably the biggest one I have and I may catch some heat for this:

The franchise as a whole would be better off without people who prefer/think the English Dub of Dragon Ball is better.
Opposite opinion. The franchise would be better off without people like this who care that much about people who prefer a different language for a cartoon.
It's not about preferring a language. It's about preferring an accurate script that doesn't butcher people's view of a series.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

It's not about preferring a language. It's about preferring an accurate script that doesn't butcher people's view of a series.
I know that, but to say itd be better off without those people is a little immature to say the least.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I know that, but to say itd be better off without those people is a little immature to say the least.
What is immature about it? I don't like it being nearly impossible to have an accurate conversation about Dragon Ball. This forum is overall great, but it should be the standard, not a diamond in the rough. People that are too lazy to even consider checking out the original material are people better off to just not be a part of the franchise.

They ruin it, and continue to ruin it to this day by raging and crying over things like Kai, thereby influencing FUNimation to continue to produce inaccurate scripts in 20-flipping-18.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:11 pm

Forte224 wrote:. This forum is overall great, but it should be the standard, not a diamond in the rough. People that are too lazy to even consider checking out the original material are people better off to just not be a part of the franchise.
I think of it as any crappy adaptation of anything that enmasses fans. It can be annoying but what can you do?

I get annoyed when I see people talk about something from Harry Potter that’s movie specific (Non-stop quoting “It’s Levi-o-sa” comes to mind) and I’m mentally tearing my hair out “that wasn’t in the books!” but it is what is

The majority of American DBZ fans fell for the American reversioning and yeah its super annoying that Funimation couldn’t get it right the first time (or second time if you think about it) but it happened. At the very least the Japanese version is readily accessible and an accurate dub was done with Kai.
They ruin it, and continue to ruin it to this day by raging and crying over things like Kai, thereby influencing FUNimation to continue to produce inaccurate scripts in 20-flipping-18.
To be fair a lot of fans of the Japanese version hate Kai too just for entirely different (and usually more valid and less founded on blind nostalgia and lack of information) reasons. I blame a lot of Kai vile it initially received was due to people thinking CW4Kids edit WAS Dragon Ball Kai now at worst you just get Faulconer fanbois saying it shouldn have the Faulconer music (thank god it doesn’t)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:15 pm

But the deviations with the Harry Potter movies were fewer and far less egregious. Most were the result of adapting to a very different medium and compressing for time. It's fundamentally very much the same story. DB's dub can't say the same thing. If only the changes were the result of adapting from another culture and language.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 pm

Now that you mention the CW4Kids. I think its primetime for me to say this.

I FUCKING LOVE THE TOONZAI AND VORTEXX BROADCASTS OF DBZKAI. Yes, I do! I love it even more than I do 2012 Toonami. I know there was censorship but there was also Uncut DVD's of every flavor of English Dragon Ball if one so desires to watch it uncut. I know the ads were kind of stupid (Sonic getting basic DBZ info wrong) but the concept of little kids getting into Dragon Ball is buttery sweet to me. Anime in general needs more new blood if it is to survive. And it got pretty high ratings too. There needs to be more Toonami clones.

3/10/12 (Dragon Ball Z Kai @10:30am / 1,140,000 viewers).
2/25/12 (Dragon Ball Z Kai / 1,196,000 viewers).
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:18 pm

ABED wrote:Wait, it comes as a shock that it's a martial arts fantasy series? What do they think it is?
Its very often thought of, within a lot of mainstream U.S. circles, as a sci fi superhero team show. Basically with Goku and the Z Warriors as a Japanese take on Superman and the Justice League.

And when you get right down to it, its really not hard to see why that is, despite the mountains of self-evident evidence to the contrary: as Masenko earlier noted, a LOT of effort was made by FUNimation to scrub out much of the series' more Eastern aspects, in both obvious and even more subtle ways. And it goes even beyond just the dub itself, as the show is just flat out MARKETED as a superhero show, with WAY more emphasis put on Goku and his friends as "defenders of Earth" and whatnot.

Like it or not, these things have long-term, farther reaching consequences. As unbelievable as it is, it really DOES get completely past a LOT of U.S. fans that this show is any kind of a martial arts show (or even just a fantasy in general sometimes) and that its firmly of a piece, in terms of genre and theme, with things like the DCAU or the MCU and whatnot.

There are even many posts on this very forum (and plenty others out there) of dub fans who are in flat out express denial of the series, from Z onward, having any relation whatsoever to martial arts, with the claim that only original DB is about martial arts and that once Raditz lands, it suddenly turns on a dime into a more general superhero science fiction show with nothing to do with martial arts or fantasy of any sort at all.

I've even come across this view out in the world IRL, in totally non-anime fandom circles, of just general public folks who watched the series growing up and expressly highlight that it was their favorite superhero show, and that its all about "protecting peace and justice" and so on.

On just this basic-most foundational distortion ALONE the dub is an abysmal, damaging failure that wholly mismarketed and misrepresented this series at a baseline level to a totally unwitting audience. And of course has lead to all manner of weird and totally unmerited criticisms of the show's writing, characterizations, and basic storytelling style and direction that have cemented themselves in the public consciousness at this point and even become memes.

Not that these things (the series' writing and narrative and so on) are in any way perfect or immune from criticism on their own merits of course: but the merits and metrics that people are using to judge them by in the first place are TOTALLY factually incorrect and wholly misdirected thanks entirely to both the dub and its misleading marketing throughout the years. It leads to all kinds of supremely weird misunderstandings that most of us are STILL, even today in 2018, trying to clear the air on for people whenever any kind of discussion about the series occurs.

Its honestly at this point probably NEVER going to fully go away, and this "reversioned" alternative take on Dragon Ball, that is 100% unique and exclusive to the FUNimation dub alone and nowhere else, is what's ultimately going to remain permanently in the public consciousness. And that's a terrible shame, because the actual series is a whole lot different from that.

So yeah: I don't particularly care what anyone's personal preference or nostalgic baggage is at this point, as all of that is totally and completely beside the point. The dub is indefensibly, objectively a negative contribution to Dragon Ball's broader legacy, just on a pure foundational level for introducing all of this nonsensical and totally pointless and unnecessary baggage into the wider English-speaking fandom's bloodstream, likely on some level forever going forward.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:19 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:, a LOT of effort was made by FUNimation to scrub out much of the series' more Eastern aspects, in both obvious and even more subtle ways.
Which was of course, just like all the other localization companies that did similar things to kids commercial anime asinine. Imagine being Funimation and thinking

Yes this show is All American

Totally not Eastern

So very Western

, it suddenly turns on a dime into a more general superhero science fiction show with nothing to do with martial arts or fantasy of any sort at all
And of course I don’t think starting with DBZ (well they did technically start with Dragon Ball it wasn’t in a way that counts) helped at all. Dragon Ball may have fell victim to some early growning pains but by Red Ribbon Army saga and definitely by the Piccolo Daimaou saga it really is not that distinguishable from DBZ

And definitely there was more emphasis on the more Sci fo aspects when Raditz showed up. But the fantasy roots never disappeared: Otherworld, Magic wish granting dragon, Garlic Jr saga, Majin Buu saga, etc etc

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:15 am

I think Kai should have had more recasts. Specially for King Kai and Master Roshi. As much I respect their VAs (well, Schemmel not too much, but that's another story), their performances are really awful. King Kai is way different from the JPN version and just sounds like a strained old Goku and Roshi can't be taken seriously with that high pitched voice.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:16 am

What's odd is that I was introduced to the series by the dub and even from day one, I understood it was a martial arts show. It never hid that fact. Even in the dub there were lines like

The Oni who drove Goku to Snake Way: You Kung Fu guys are so buff.
Goku: It's not Kung Fu, it's the Kamesennin style.

Or something along those lines.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:56 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Yeah pretty much. Both are God awful you're just splitting hairs as to which is worse
What's wrong with Minus? I can see why Broly's original backstory is dumb to some people but why Minus? I like Minus.
Watch Mistare Fusion's video review on it from Dragon Ball Dissection. Short of it is it's not a story due to being a segment of rushed plot points, it retcons the original Bardock special (which was great), it does what bad prequels do & fits in cameos of characters who serve no purpose whatsoever (kid Raditz talking to kid Vegeta for example), it makes Goku's backstory even MORE like Superman's (don't think I need to tell you why that was awful), it retcons what Toriyama previously put into the manga by his direct reference to the special, & it makes the original material from before it less special & interesting by changing Goku's parents. It's established that the Saiyans were a warrior race who didn't care about anything except themselves, so the special made Bardock that. Bardock, originally, was portrayed as this. Not a good person, just someone who found out his people were in danger by Frieza, so he tried to save them all, but died trying to do so. In this rebooted version in Minus, it retcons Bardock's character into someone far less interesting & true to who you'd expect to be Goku's father. Then Goku's mom. She's not that either. She's the stereotypical housewife, who's impossibly the opposite of the rest of the Saiyans, which is supposed to be why Goku's like that too, even though Toriyama explained Goku's like how h is because he smashed his head against a rock. It's just a lesser version of what we got before. That's why it sucks.
I'd say it is a story.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:37 pm

Tian wrote:I think Kai should have had more recasts. Specially for King Kai and Master Roshi. As much I respect their VAs (well, Schemmel not too much, but that's another story), their performances are really awful. King Kai is way different from the JPN version and just sounds like a strained old Goku and Roshi can't be taken seriously with that high pitched voice.
I wouldn't say that's unpopular. A lot of people think Schemmel is awful as King Kai.

On Roshi, I agree that he should have been recast. Honestly, I don't see how anyone could hear Miyauchi's performance and then think McFarland sounds just as good as he does or better. I recall someone how McFarland's voice fits Roshi because he needs to sound funny and sound like someone who can dish out some pain, but I don't think I would be afraid of him kicking my ass. He just sounds like some goofy guy trying to sound old and it just doesn't work. But that's just me.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:51 pm

Funny enough in my opinion with Kai Funimation got rid of MOST of the worst ones (Nadolny, Vollmer, and Young).

Mcfarland is okay in my opinion. The ones I wanted to see go

Eric Vale as Trunks

Sean Schemmel as King King

Sonny Strait as Krillin (he still sounds like fucking Jimbo from South Park)

Chris Sabat as Piccolo (it’s waaaay better than even his remastered Z dub era Piccolo but it still sounds too close to Vegeta. Wish they could have gotten Scott Mcneil)

Everyone else was fine

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:05 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Funny enough in my opinion with Kai Funimation got rid of MOST of the worst ones (Nadolny, Vollmer, and Young).

Eric Vale as Trunks

Chris Sabat as Piccolo (it’s waaaay better than even his remastered Z dub era Piccolo but it still sounds too close to Vegeta. Wish they could have gotten Scott Mcneil)

Everyone else was fine
I don't know why, but this made me laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:44 pm

Hulk10 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:
What's wrong with Minus? I can see why Broly's original backstory is dumb to some people but why Minus? I like Minus.
Watch Mistare Fusion's video review on it from Dragon Ball Dissection. Short of it is it's not a story due to being a segment of rushed plot points, it retcons the original Bardock special (which was great), it does what bad prequels do & fits in cameos of characters who serve no purpose whatsoever (kid Raditz talking to kid Vegeta for example), it makes Goku's backstory even MORE like Superman's (don't think I need to tell you why that was awful), it retcons what Toriyama previously put into the manga by his direct reference to the special, & it makes the original material from before it less special & interesting by changing Goku's parents. It's established that the Saiyans were a warrior race who didn't care about anything except themselves, so the special made Bardock that. Bardock, originally, was portrayed as this. Not a good person, just someone who found out his people were in danger by Frieza, so he tried to save them all, but died trying to do so. In this rebooted version in Minus, it retcons Bardock's character into someone far less interesting & true to who you'd expect to be Goku's father. Then Goku's mom. She's not that either. She's the stereotypical housewife, who's impossibly the opposite of the rest of the Saiyans, which is supposed to be why Goku's like that too, even though Toriyama explained Goku's like how h is because he smashed his head against a rock. It's just a lesser version of what we got before. That's why it sucks.
I'd say it is a story.
From what I can tell, it's not. It's a collection of scenes that would be in a story, but it in itself is not a story, as well as an unneeded way of marketing the Jaco manga. However, it needs fleshing out. Toriyama's done that before with the History of Trunks chapter of the DB manga, which got fleshed out in the anime special, so this shouldn't be a surprise.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:18 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:Funny enough in my opinion with Kai Funimation got rid of MOST of the worst ones (Nadolny, Vollmer, and Young).

Eric Vale as Trunks

Everyone else was fine
I don't know why, but this made me laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
His Vegeta and Piccolo sound like they have the same actor, but they definitely sound like two distinct characters

Strait's Kuririn does NOT sound like Jimbo at all, at least hasn't for well over a decade. In fact, it's more or less his natural voice. He intentionally depened it for that reason

I agree about Schemmel's Goku, but don't agree about McFarland.

Vale would be fine if he dropped the unnatural rasp.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Watch Mistare Fusion's video review on it from Dragon Ball Dissection. Short of it is it's not a story due to being a segment of rushed plot points, it retcons the original Bardock special (which was great), it does what bad prequels do & fits in cameos of characters who serve no purpose whatsoever (kid Raditz talking to kid Vegeta for example), it makes Goku's backstory even MORE like Superman's (don't think I need to tell you why that was awful), it retcons what Toriyama previously put into the manga by his direct reference to the special, & it makes the original material from before it less special & interesting by changing Goku's parents. It's established that the Saiyans were a warrior race who didn't care about anything except themselves, so the special made Bardock that. Bardock, originally, was portrayed as this. Not a good person, just someone who found out his people were in danger by Frieza, so he tried to save them all, but died trying to do so. In this rebooted version in Minus, it retcons Bardock's character into someone far less interesting & true to who you'd expect to be Goku's father. Then Goku's mom. She's not that either. She's the stereotypical housewife, who's impossibly the opposite of the rest of the Saiyans, which is supposed to be why Goku's like that too, even though Toriyama explained Goku's like how h is because he smashed his head against a rock. It's just a lesser version of what we got before. That's why it sucks.
I'd say it is a story.
From what I can tell, it's not. It's a collection of scenes that would be in a story, but it in itself is not a story, as well as an unneeded way of marketing the Jaco manga. However, it needs fleshing out. Toriyama's done that before with the History of Trunks chapter of the DB manga, which got fleshed out in the anime special, so this shouldn't be a surprise.
From what I can tell it is. But your welcome to your opinion.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.