Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:52 pm

If Dragon Ball did end with the Freeza saga, I don't see why that would mean that they would have to kill off Goku. They could just end the manga with Goku's friends (and Vegeta) being told by Porunga that Goku is still alive, and then have them all awaiting his eventual return.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:13 pm

Super Saiyan Rage is stupid
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:14 pm

The Patrolman wrote:Super Saiyan Rage is stupid
That's really not unpopular.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:19 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:
Not really I have seen people praise this transformation.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:27 pm

The Patrolman wrote:
mfwlegend3 wrote:
Not really I have seen people praise this transformation.
And there's also a plethora of people who hated it because of how it didn't make sense, or because of the power scaling.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:49 am

Doctor. wrote:I know an arc isn't defined by its length, I'm not arguing whether the Saiyan arc is an arc or not. I'm arguing whether it's a major arc in the series or not. Considering it's pretty much just a build-up for the arc that comes next and most fans overlook it when talking about Dragon Ball as a whole, I don't consider it one of the major ones, at least not as important as iconic as the three that come after.
The events of the Saiyan arc are so overwhelmingly important that I don't see how it's not a major arc. From top to bottom you have:

- The introduction of Son Gohan
- The revelation that Goku is an alien
- The introduction to Saiyans as a whole
- Goku dying
- The first adventure in the afterlife
- The introduction of Kaio-sama
- The introduction of the Genki Dama and Kaio-ken
- The introduction of Vegeta
- The redemption of Piccolo
- The deaths of Yamcha, Chaozu, Tenshinhan and Piccolo
- The massive, iconic battle between Goku (and Kuririn, Gohan and Yajirobe) and Vegeta

The arc added so much to the mythos that the series that I can't understand how it's not a major arc. For my money it's the major arc. The only reasoning I can think of is it's not followed by a timeskip so it doesn't feel as compartmentalized as the Freeza, Cell and Buu arcs, which are separated by lengthy timeskips.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:28 pm

Cipher wrote:I've never thought the Cell arc made a particularly good ending to the series for the same reason I've never felt the Freeza arc would work as is. It's such a random downer to leave Goku dead like that. It's also tonally pretty out of sync with the series, and the titular Dragon Balls don't get anywhere near as good a send-off.

Also, poor Kuririn's story feels a little incomplete, just after teasing his budding, but by no means assured, romance.

By the beginning of the Boo arc, we at least have most of the side characters in roles they can settle comfortably into after the window shuts on the series, and the few remaining character arcs (primarily Goku and Vegeta's, though Gohan and Mr. Satan also get arcs internal to the story line) are addressed by its end.
I really like the idea of Goku & Freeza both going down with the ship as a way of showing how their mutual flaws screw them over at the worst moment but with the Namekian Balls on Earth, Toriyama very easily could've ended it at Freeza with a final shot of a revived Goku & Krillin being welcomed back by their friends and family as the conclusion.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:58 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Cipher wrote:I've never thought the Cell arc made a particularly good ending to the series for the same reason I've never felt the Freeza arc would work as is. It's such a random downer to leave Goku dead like that. It's also tonally pretty out of sync with the series, and the titular Dragon Balls don't get anywhere near as good a send-off.

Also, poor Kuririn's story feels a little incomplete, just after teasing his budding, but by no means assured, romance.

By the beginning of the Boo arc, we at least have most of the side characters in roles they can settle comfortably into after the window shuts on the series, and the few remaining character arcs (primarily Goku and Vegeta's, though Gohan and Mr. Satan also get arcs internal to the story line) are addressed by its end.
I really like the idea of Goku & Freeza both going down with the ship as a way of showing how their mutual flaws screw them over at the worst moment but with the Namekian Balls on Earth, Toriyama very easily could've ended it at Freeza with a final shot of a revived Goku & Krillin being welcomed back by their friends and family as the conclusion.
But it's not the sort of story where Goku is condemned for being a battle maniac and wishing back Goku after defeating Freeza but dying feels too easy. It makes his death pointless.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:10 pm

ABED wrote:But it's not the sort of story where Goku is condemned for being a battle maniac
What story have you been watching? That's the main point of the Cell arc.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:26 pm

Gog wrote:Beerus cleaning Freeza's clock was the worst retcon in the entire franchise. It essentially destroys Freeza's entire belief as the strongest in the universe. It also makes him seem like the greatest moron in existence for not training so that he could surpass him. Rather, instead choosing to continue on as normal. It also breaks the fact that Freeza has never actually transformed past his third form against any threat.

Heck, Freeza should never have known about Beerus in the first place.
Sorry, English is not my first language but what you mean by "cleaning Freeza's clock"?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:02 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:But it's not the sort of story where Goku is condemned for being a battle maniac
What story have you been watching? That's the main point of the Cell arc.
The same one you have. He's not condemned at all for it. It's neither implicit or explicit. THere was no main point to the Cell arc beyond Toriyama telling an exciting story for his readers.
Sorry, English is not my first language but what you mean by "cleaning Freeza's clock"?
It's a figure of speech. When you clean someone's clock, it means you beat them up.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:40 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Gog wrote:Beerus cleaning Freeza's clock was the worst retcon in the entire franchise. It essentially destroys Freeza's entire belief as the strongest in the universe. It also makes him seem like the greatest moron in existence for not training so that he could surpass him. Rather, instead choosing to continue on as normal. It also breaks the fact that Freeza has never actually transformed past his third form against any threat.

Heck, Freeza should never have known about Beerus in the first place.
Alright then, Cleaning Someone's Clock is a term that means someone has beaten someone up, badly.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:34 am

I think it's just me but I find the Dubs of Dragon Ball Series to be Extremely Overrated compared to other anime dubs and seeing how the anime fans Criticize the other Anime dubs because they mispronounced some Japanese word but when it comes to DB dubs then it's no big deal when pronouncing "Kaiō Ken" as "Keyo ken" or "Hell's Flash" as "Blasters Fire", even though From Kai onwards the Dubs have Improved, still I think there are many miscasting in the English Voices like Kaiō Dub Voice, Yamcha Voice or even Majin Boo Voice for Fat Version and many more.also,they still don't pronounce "Saiyan" the right way and use Mistranslated Dub Terms to appeal to the old Dub Audience, if any other anime dub had did it this today then these sub elitists would start bashing it but with DB Dubs it's okay for them, also I hate the Dub terms in the Crunchyroll Subtitles of Dragon Ball Super Episodes and seeing "King Kai Fist" or "Evil Containment Wave" really bothers me I mean what's the point of subtitles if they still use dub terms? ,aren't Subtitles supposed to translate the sentence properly? .
This is why I think FUNimation really Divided the fanbase by their Americanizing of the show in early 2000's but it's impact is still noticable till now
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

SuperSalt

Post by SuperSalt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:04 am

Well, here's my (probably) most unpopular opinion: I really, really can't stand DBZ. I've tried watching it, I really have, but it is just so.. I don't know, bad. The pacing, the fillers. I stuck to the manga when I was kid, and still do. Kai is in my opinion by far the better choice (I should note that I've only watched up until Cell saga, I've heard a lot of complaints about the Buu saga. Guess I'll see).

I understand that the fillers and the slow pacing was partly because of the manga not being finished, but still. It's unwatchable imo.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:38 am

SuperSalt wrote:I understand that the fillers and the slow pacing was partly because of the manga not being finished, but still. It's unwatchable imo.
Sure, and I get that many people don't care what the behind the scenes reasons are. They just care about the end product.

SuperSalt

Post by SuperSalt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:15 am

ABED wrote:Sure, and I get that many people don't care what the behind the scenes reasons are. They just care about the end product.

Yeah I see your point, and I might have stretched it by calling it unwatchable. I suppose they did what they could given the circumstances, and I think I probably should give it another try. I've never watched DBZ past the Frieza fight. When they got to the Namek saga in my country, that's approx. when I started on the manga. As we only got 1 episode of DBZ pr week, I quickly got past the TV-show. And as I read further ahead, DBZ just stopped being appealing to me.

The end product is what it is; a classic with flaws. For me, the flaws were just too much. But again, I should binge-rewatch it to form a new opinion on it.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:49 am

SuperSalt wrote:
ABED wrote:Sure, and I get that many people don't care what the behind the scenes reasons are. They just care about the end product.

Yeah I see your point, and I might have stretched it by calling it unwatchable. I suppose they did what they could given the circumstances, and I think I probably should give it another try. I've never watched DBZ past the Frieza fight. When they got to the Namek saga in my country, that's approx. when I started on the manga. As we only got 1 episode of DBZ pr week, I quickly got past the TV-show. And as I read further ahead, DBZ just stopped being appealing to me.

The end product is what it is; a classic with flaws. For me, the flaws were just too much. But again, I should binge-rewatch it to form a new opinion on it.
In my country it used to Air 2 Episides daily so that's how I completed watching Boo Arc and if one watches it on TV it's not that unwatchable compared to binge watching it online
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

SuperSalt

Post by SuperSalt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:30 am

Ripper 30 wrote:In my country it used to Air 2 Episides daily so that's how I completed watching Boo Arc and if one watches it on TV it's not that unwatchable compared to binge watching it online
Yeah if I'd had 2 episodes daily, I probably wouldn't have come to dislike DBZ as much. But 1 episode pr week, 20 minutes long. And Frieza fight is what, 4 hours or something like that? That's 3 months, for one fight. It shouldn't take that long, not by a long shot, which is why I think that binge watching it is the way to go; for me at least.

I really hope that it's not as boring as I remember, it's been quite a while since I tried watching it.

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:40 am

Dragon ball should never be crossed over with other franchises. Whenever this happens, either the Dragon ball characters are nerfed to the point of nearly being an insult to the series, or the other characters get powered up to the point where they don't even feel like themselves anymore.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:01 pm

In what way, how it happened? The way it happened? The design? The lack of formal explanation within the series? I am personally indifferent on the form.