Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Wed May 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:The franchise can live and retain its soul without Toriyama and Nozawa and I dare say be even better than it was in its prime.
It can, but has it?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed May 17, 2017 5:02 pm

I've always disliked Goku's food gag and how much it kept on repeatedly showing up in Early Dragon Ball. Thankfully, it eventually disappeared around The Red Ribbon Army arc.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 17, 2017 6:23 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:The franchise can live and retain its soul without Toriyama and Nozawa and I dare say be even better than it was in its prime.
It obviously could, but I don't think it would. That said, I don't think it will retain its identity with them, either.
ABED wrote:It can, but has it?
I think it's arguable, but I'd say no. The stories' are much simpler, with far less interesting padding than before (And honestly, the ratio of padding in a story is akin to what we had in Z, though most won't admit it). The characters are static, but not in the same place as where we left off. There's far more focus on comedy, but I don't think the jokes land like they used to. It's basically "Sequel, the Series". However, my framing is also 100% biased, my overall opinion of the new material may be a bit tainted at the moment due to how I feel about the progress of the current arc, so don't take my word. You'll find out for yourself once you watch for a while, which probably won't be long, assuming the home releases of Super are fairly frequent. If you bought the manga, and I recommend you do if you haven't, you'll have a partial grip on how things are.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Gog wrote:I've always disliked Goku's food gag and how much it kept on repeatedly showing up in Early Dragon Ball. Thankfully, it eventually disappeared around The Red Ribbon Army arc.
I love them. It's like Joey Tribbiani's love of food. Those jokes never got old.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:04 pm

I love them too! Its not really meant to be funny, its just an odd quirk of Goku, but I love it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed May 17, 2017 9:26 pm

I really want Kuriza to show up in Dragon Ball Super.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:10 am

Gog wrote:Out of all of the arcs in Early Dragon Ball the Red Ribbon army arc is the worst out of the lot. I'd dare say it gets painfully dull in certain moments.
I love the idea of the Red Ribbon arc more than I do the reality.

Colonel Silver seems cool but of course he's taken out immediately. General White seems cool with his arctic army but for some reason the entire battle takes place inside a tower. General Blue (shouldn't he be an Admiral?) is a cool idea and it actually comes the closest to fulfilling what I'd imagine but it just draaags and there is never a satisfying payoff between him and Goku. Captain Yellow is neat but he's taken out immediately. And Taopaipai isn't even part of the army.

Had the story actually been Goku the one-man-army going to war with an actual army across several divisions and branches it would have been sweet. Fighting Colonel Silver out in the desert, fighting General White's arctic forces in the icy mountains, fighting General Blue's navy on the high seas, fighting Captain Yellow's airforce, and other kinds of enemies. I don't think Goku even goes up against a single tank, which is the exact sort of thing I imagined when I heard about the fabled Red Ribbon Army as a kid. The only part that really pays off is when he storms their headquarters and fights the soldiers head-on. That's one of my favorite scenes in the whole series. But everything leading up to it is disappointing, and really feels like Toriyama at his laziest and least focused. And I never liked that he still had to get one more Dragon Ball after annihilating them.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 18, 2017 6:42 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I love them too! Its not really meant to be funny, its just an odd quirk of Goku, but I love it.
I do think Toriyama meant that quirk to be funny.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri May 19, 2017 6:19 am

Wakamoto's Cell performance in Dragon Ball Z is the best in the entire franchise from a pure acting standpoint. The more I listen to his voice, the more I love it.

Nakao and Nozawa are second, not first anymore as they were before for me.

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Fri May 19, 2017 11:21 am

Red Ribbon was actually good until we got into all this BS with General Blue. Tao Pai Pai was the high point, although the ending of the actual arc was very anti climactic... Not counting Baba's Tournament of course.

SonGoham

Post by SonGoham » Fri May 19, 2017 12:14 pm

Great Saiyaman arc and character are a great part of DBZ. It's the lightest part of the story, and I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously and it's not all about power levels. I also like the path the Gohan went down, the Great Saiyaman arc being one of my favorites.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri May 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Big Green The Yoshi wrote:Red Ribbon was actually good until we got into all this BS with General Blue.
I always thought Blue was the best part of the Red Ribbon Arc, unlike every other enemy in the arc (Aside from Taao, of course), he actually put up a decent fight and was a very entertaining character overall.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri May 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Big Green The Yoshi wrote:Red Ribbon was actually good until we got into all this BS with General Blue.
I always thought Blue was the best part of the Red Ribbon Arc, unlike every other enemy in the arc (Aside from Taao, of course), he actually put up a decent fight and was a very entertaining character overall.
For me, he did wear out his welcome rather quickly. He was a one-note character, and keeping him around for so long was the worst mistake of the arc in my opinion.
Retired.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Wakamoto's Cell performance in Dragon Ball Z is the best in the entire franchise from a pure acting standpoint. The more I listen to his voice, the more I love it.

I have a hard time choosing a favorite performance in Japanese Z. They're so good.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 19, 2017 4:48 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Wakamoto's Cell performance in Dragon Ball Z is the best in the entire franchise from a pure acting standpoint. The more I listen to his voice, the more I love it.

I have a hard time choosing a favorite performance in Japanese Z. They're so good.
For me the top three would be:

1. Nozawa
2. Nakao
3. Yanami

In that order.

Wakamoto is up there though, particular for those Kame Hame Ha scenes.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Fri May 19, 2017 4:53 pm

Gog wrote:I've always disliked Goku's food gag and how much it kept on repeatedly showing up in Early Dragon Ball. Thankfully, it eventually disappeared around The Red Ribbon Army arc.
they weren't meant to be funny actually
My English is poor .

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Fri May 19, 2017 4:59 pm

while i do like his personality and his voice , i think that Cell is the worst villain in the entire franchise

he just doesn't have any motivation
My English is poor .

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:while i do like his personality and his voice , i think that Cell is the worst villain in the entire franchise

He basically has the same motivation of any Saiyan or Freeza, being a clone of them all makes sense. Had Cell defeated Gohan or blown up the Earth, he obviously would have started traveling through space to find new worlds to conquer or get stronger.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri May 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:while i do like his personality and his voice , i think that Cell is the worst villain in the entire franchise

His motivation before becoming perfect was to become perfect. Afterwards, he just wants to have fun, same as the Androids. The only difference is in what entertains him, which seems to be a combination of cruelty and fighting strong opponents. So basically, exactly what you'd expect. Whether or not that's interesting is a different question, I think he's uninteresting, but since Goku and Gohan carried the arc post-RoSaT, and they were interesting, it worked.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Fri May 19, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri May 19, 2017 8:32 pm

The only thing that I dislike about the Red Ribbon arc is how Goku defeat then so easily and by himself. The perfect finale of this arc would be all the gang together in this
task, I can see all of them being useful on this, not just Goku.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?