Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:31 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:
ABED wrote:Impressions aren't acting.
What about any actor who acts in a biopic?
They aren't doing impressions. They are acting and emoting as that person.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:50 pm

ABED wrote:
Krillin1994 wrote:
ABED wrote:Impressions aren't acting.
What about any actor who acts in a biopic?
They aren't doing impressions. They are acting and emoting as that person.
I'm sure there's been actors in biopics who haven't truly emoted as somebody. I think the TFS guys are acting, I don't think they're world class actors but I wouldn't say they're bad.

I'd say these go beyond impressions.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:53 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I am not a huge fan of TFS poor voice acting just turned me off (it is weird cuz their castings in legitimate dubs is pretty good, granted I haven't seen TFS episode in a hot while so dunno if they improved there nor not.) but I don't mind them but I do absolutely hate their fans it is like no one is allowed to fun anymore without the "reminds me of DBZA/looks like TFS wrote this" comments flooding, so irritating. Or people randomly quoting things in none TFS videos.
Toei did something with Popo a character that they own and all of a sudden people think that Toei did a TFS reference... :problem:
Dude the tfs voice acting was miles above Z Dub, just compare both Bulma voices From Z Dub and tfs and you will know which one sounds more scratchy and raspy
I don't why people keep telling me this, I didn't mention that shitty Z dub in my post at all...

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:45 pm

I respect team four star from an acting standpoint and the effort they put forth but seriously...

I mean, I get it, oh look it's kid Videl watching the Cell games. These guys are fans and they're putting more thought into the mythology of DB at times than even the author himself.

That said, it's a fucking parody, I get annoyed at fans that want anything from abridged to leak into official dubbed DB content. I was not sad to see them go from the kai dub, sorry. Also no the Abridged cartoony sounding Freeza to even be on Chris Ayres level let alone be in a legit English dub.

What's next, a petition for Sean to say muffin button in an episode of Super?

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:40 pm

I have no problem with Vegeta character on Super
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:04 pm

-I have no problem with Goku character in Super
    -I'm actually glad Frieza replace Buu in the team.

8000 Saiyan
    I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:25 pm

MR.Mark wrote:I respect team four star from an acting standpoint and the effort they put forth but seriously...

I mean, I get it, oh look it's kid Videl watching the Cell games. These guys are fans and they're putting more thought into the mythology of DB at times than even the author himself.

That said, it's a fucking parody, I get annoyed at fans that want anything from abridged to leak into official dubbed DB content. I was not sad to see them go from the kai dub, sorry. Also no the Abridged cartoony sounding Freeza to even be on Chris Ayres level let alone be in a legit English dub.

What's next, a petition for Sean to say muffin button in an episode of Super?
    Neither was I.
    "It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Noah
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:13 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Power scaling aside, I really like the idea that Super seems to be implying that Goku will always strive to be stronger but may never surpass certain beings. The need for Goku, Vegeta, or even the villains having to be the strongest in the universe to tell story's in Dragon Ball seems to be gone, and it's for the better.
    As a matter of fact, Super didn't end yet... We can still have things like Goku surpassing the Grand Priest though.
    乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Hence why I said, seems to be implying.

I like the idea of the main characters not having to be the strongest in the universe, that was getting stale and predictable by the Buu arc.

Super kinda had to happen for Dragonball to continue, Toriyama was really writing himself into a corner with the I'M THE STRONGEST, NO I'M THE STRONGEST formula.

Once again, power scaling aside, bringing strategy and other characters besides Goku and Vegeta back into prominence is the best thing to happen in Super.

Sailor Haumea
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Doctor. wrote:
    Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Every fan that puts power levels as either the most important or among the most important aspect that DB should be wipe out of the planet, they are a terrible pandemic.
    Edgy.

Powerlevels are the single most important thing in a series like Dragon Ball, it shapes the story itself and our investment in it.
    Bullshit.

The only aspect of "power" that matters is that X character is stronger than Y, which is just consistency. Power levels, as in numbers to represent how strong someone is, were never relevant, and part of the point of the Namek arc was that power levels are meaningless and don't reflect actual strength, because, y'know, people can suppress their energy.
    "That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Doctor.
    Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:The only aspect of "power" that matters is that X character is stronger than Y, which is just consistency. Power levels, as in numbers to represent how strong someone is, were never relevant, and part of the point of the Namek arc was that power levels are meaningless and don't reflect actual strength, because, y'know, people can suppress their energy.
    People don't refer to the numbers when they talk about power levels anymore. It's the "scaling" they talk about, which is, indeed, the most important aspect of this series.

ekrolo2
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Doctor. wrote:
    Sailor Haumea wrote:The only aspect of "power" that matters is that X character is stronger than Y, which is just consistency. Power levels, as in numbers to represent how strong someone is, were never relevant, and part of the point of the Namek arc was that power levels are meaningless and don't reflect actual strength, because, y'know, people can suppress their energy.
    People don't refer to the numbers when they talk about power levels anymore. It's the "scaling" they talk about, which is, indeed, the most important aspect of this series.
    Scaling does matter for a show that's run entirely by fighting. It really hurts your story if x characters goes through all these ordeals to get as strong as they are only for y character to jerk off in the woods off screen for a few days and achieve the same level of strength.
    When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Sailor Haumea
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:48 pm

Doctor. wrote:
    No, the most important aspect of this series is the characters/plot. The story takes priority.
    "That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Doctor.
    Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:48 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:No, the most important aspect of this series is the characters/plot. The story takes priority.
    And the story, our investment in it, as well as the character development, in this series is shaped by which characters are stronger than who and how the battles turn out.

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:54 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: Scaling does matter for a show that's run entirely by fighting. It really hurts your story if x characters goes through all these ordeals to get as strong as they are only for y character to jerk off in the woods off screen for a few days and achieve the same level of strength.
    And that's the main problem of dragon Ball super,it was Super lame on how #17 went god tier and is obvious the writer have no idea how strong base goku and Vegeta are, this just ruins the tension, here's an amazing quote from Doctor. to describe how important power level are in DB
    Doctor. wrote:I've explained before, I'll just paraphrase myself.

Power levels establish tension and drama. People who care about them (well, people who care about them in a narrative) don't care about the big numbers or the fancy explosions. If you have character A who's so much above character B, who's the main character, you're gonna be left wondering how in the hell character B, the character we're supposed to care and root for, is going to escape the situation or overcome the odds. It makes us emotionally invested.

If character B doesn't escape the situation in a believable way that's consistent with previous events, then that emotional investment is gone. It was pointless tension, pointless drama made just to suck in the viewer. It has no critical value whatsoever. The audience is left believing that the author can just create whatever scenarios he wants and what happens to the characters is decided by whatever the author wants to happen, regardless of the events that happened in the story. Which, in fairness, is what happens, but the audience wants to be fooled. The audience wants to know that the world they're following has rules. That the world they're invested in isn't going to bend to external factors that are irrelevant to them.

An author can do whatever he wants with the characters, that's not false. But the author should also have the responsibility to make sure it fits in cohesively with the other events in the narrative he has created.
    Mostly active on discord.

Cure Dragon 255
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:58 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
    Doctor. wrote:
    Scaling does matter for a show that's run entirely by fighting. It really hurts your story if x characters goes through all these ordeals to get as strong as they are only for y character to jerk off in the woods off screen for a few days and achieve the same level of strength.
    I dont really care for power levels but this is it. The best Kanzenshuu post EVER.
    Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
    90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TenshinFan
    Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:08 pm

It really hurts your story if x characters goes through all these ordeals to get as strong as they are only for y character to jerk off in the woods off screen for a few days and achieve the same level of strength.
    So, the Hyperbolic Time Chamber basically?

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:58 pm

TenshinFan wrote:
    It really hurts your story if x characters goes through all these ordeals to get as strong as they are only for y character to jerk off in the woods off screen for a few days and achieve the same level of strength.
    So, the Hyperbolic Time Chamber basically?
    Quiet you, that room is the most believable power gain plot device in existence!

Never mind that outside of being a ranger 17 has a life and family, but because we're not shown his day to day life he clearly never left that island.

Is it so hard to believe the man could of had a gym membership? :lol:

Polyphase Avatron
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Masako Nozawa is a better voice for Goku than Sean Schemmel. Have I said this one already?
    Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Gray Riders
    Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gray Riders » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:31 pm

Well, mine is that Vegeta's arc peaked on Namek. After that he just became irritating and whiny, and he should have stayed dead after Freeza blasted through his heart.

Edit: He still had some good moments, but far too much complaining about being surpassed by Kakkarot and suddenly acting significantly stupider than in the previous arc.