Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:36 pm

Hulk10 wrote:A person who is revived will remember the traumatic experience of death and that's a consequence.
If only we saw any hint that this happens.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:A person who is revived will remember the traumatic experience of death and that's a consequence.
I mean, we've NEVER seen the PTSD that would most likely happen from people dying then coming back to life in this franchise, so I wouldn't expect them to do it any time soon. Toriyama's not THAT deep or serious a writer.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:15 pm

Just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't present. After all we never see what the common person's life is like after they are dead and reborn. Of course in the case of the Buu saga there really wasn't any lasting side effects from the civilian point of view since Shenron erased their memories.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Scsigs wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
I mean, we've NEVER seen the PTSD that would most likely happen from people dying then coming back to life in this franchise, so I wouldn't expect them to do it any time soon. Toriyama's not THAT deep or serious a writer.
We sort of saw it in Super when Krillin went into that forest.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
We sort of saw it in Super when Krillin went into that forest.
Oh yeah with Tamborine and Frieza.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Shad73
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shad73 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:24 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Shad73 wrote:I prefer GT Vegeta to DB Super Vegeta.
I don't think it's unpopular at all if we talk about Vegeta's personality and development. Also, many prefer GT's design since it was fresh (except mustache) and he was still muscled in place of skinny DBS Vegeta wearing armor from Cell saga 24/7. DBS Vegeta had more screentime tho.
God! This thread moves fast.

I mean his characterization. Like, I prefer that GT Vegeta seems more consistent with someone who’s ceded to Kakarot and is therefore realistically calm and family-man, while Super Vegeta just seems like a reprisal of classic Vegeta without the development the end of the Cell Saga and the Buu Saga brought. I do think while Toriyama does Vegeta the best he wants to or has to, Toei can certainly provide a version of Vegeta that acts as a foil deconstructing Toriyama’s direction with a character he doesn’t like writing to this day.
Seeing the world as neutral is a gift; then you see the most beauty.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:53 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
I don't think any of the characters that died ever suffered while dying. I think most of them were instant. Not sure what would be traumatic.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:28 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
I don't think any of the characters that died ever suffered while dying. I think most of them were instant. Not sure what would be traumatic.
Well, if we’re going to talk about death reactions, Gohan, Goten and Trunks should be confused as all get out about death. Kids don’t really understand what it is normally until 7-9ish but when you add in the dragon balls...I’m surprised those kids turn out as well adjusted as they do.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:32 pm

Well since their lives are not all that traumatic and they have loving families they turned out well.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:06 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
I know it’s only headcanon, but I’ve had the headcanon that Goten and Trunks have PTSD from being absorbed by Buu

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:04 am

Noah wrote:
saiyanhajime wrote:Part of what makes their relationship interesting and popular is that their "canon" interactions are utterly baffling for a long time. How the hell did they get together??? A question a million fanfics try to answer.
I had no problems with VegeBul in Z, but in Super their relationship is kinda of embarassing, I would expect a more GT aproach, where Vegeta is self centered and doesn't seems to be bothered about her showing affection towards him.
When has GT Bulma ever shown affection towards GT Vegeta? They hardly ever interacted outside of the episode where she helps him go SSJ4.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:16 am

Kokonoe wrote:1.
Toriyama as great is he is requires someone to keep him in line for him to write a competent long term story. I feel he, when left on his own, just kinda wanders off with the plot and the details and his forgetful nature comes at the expense of the continuity. When he has people keeping him in check, things are near perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Toei doesn't really understand Dragon Ball all that well for a company that has so much history with it. In particular, their lack of understanding is most shown in characterization. I also feel as if they are far far worse than Toriyama at continuity and keeping a story cohesive and sensible within the world. They also have mostly bad fights I feel whereas the good parts feel low by number and the progression and pace is repetitive while also lacking quality.
Toriyama (especially in modern DB) has consistently shown himself to be worse on average at characterization and consistency than Toei (hence the constant retcons and plot holes that stem from his outline). Also, when it comes to fights, about 85% of the fights from the original manga were done better in the anime version (the entire Android & Buu arcs being the most obvious examples).
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:45 pm

ruler9871 wrote:
When has GT Bulma ever shown affection towards GT Vegeta? They hardly ever interacted outside of the episode where she helps him go SSJ4.
Also this small scene
https://youtu.be/ajnu44rFp9E?t=1m54s
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:04 am

This is a touchy subject considering how he's a under a lot of fire right now but I prefer Mignogna Broly screams than Shimada's in the movie. Not to say his screams were bad but Mignogna screams capture the tortured caveman Broly was in the movie while Shimada's was straight up psychopathic which honestly fits the old Broly more
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:24 pm

The Patrolman wrote:This is a touchy subject considering how he's a under a lot of fire right now but I prefer Mignogna Broly screams than Shimada's in the movie. Not to say his screams were bad but Mignogna screams capture the tortured caveman Broly was in the movie while Shimada's was straight up psychopathic which honestly fits the old Broly more
I agree with you there.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:46 pm

The Patrolman wrote:This is a touchy subject considering how he's a under a lot of fire right now but I prefer Mignogna Broly screams than Shimada's in the movie. Not to say his screams were bad but Mignogna screams capture the tortured caveman Broly was in the movie while Shimada's was straight up psychopathic which honestly fits the old Broly more
I don’t think it should be a touchy subject. Totally believe in separate the art from the artist.

I don’t think anyone except Hollywood would dispute that Roman Polanski is an utter pile of human garbage but his films are still clear.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:03 am

Some more unpopular opinions

“Watch Z for the sub and Kai for the dub” is a completely nonsense mantra

I don’t hate Mike Mcfarland’s Roshi. One of the least bad pre-Kai voices. Obviously he’s no Kohei Miyauchi though.
Or even remotely close

Coola would have been a better choice to bring into the Super canon than Broly. Broly is the Venom of Dragon Ball villains.

I love Masako Nozawa’s work on Dragon Ball the stuff she does is excellent and she is the only Son Goku but they really should have given teen/adult Gohan to someone else. Her voice works best for man-children like Goku not Gohan who is more more mature and well human.

Not even sure if this one is unpopular but the idea Goku never kissed Chi Chi is just stupid to me. She never kissed him? Like even once? She can get him to make two babies with her but can’t even get a kiss from him in their 17+ years of marriage?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Not even sure if this one is unpopular but the idea Goku never kissed Chi Chi is just stupid to me. She never kissed him? Like even once? She can get him to make two babies with her but can’t even get a kiss from him in their 17+ years of marriage?
Chi Chi is a supremely old fashioned hick whose ideas of marriage and romance come from old magazines. My best guess is that may have been a comical reference to how kissing was seen as obscene among older generations in Japan (you weren't even allowed to show it on film until after WW2). A joke about how old fashioned and myopic Chi Chi is on top of how clueless Goku is.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:41 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Some more unpopular opinions

Not sure I understand what that means or what your disagreeing with.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:58 pm

ABED wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:Some more unpopular opinions

Not sure I understand what that means or what your disagreeing with.
I'm not sure exactly what he's saying there either, because that's precisely what i do as i primarily watch DBZ on my Dragon Boxes subbed only and Kai in English because i simply cannot bear watching the old in house Z dub. Simply put, if you are going to watch the series dubbed then the latter is the best way to do it hands down because the improved performances and overall direction make for much better viewing experience.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)