Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:47 pm

MaskedRider wrote:
Forte224 wrote:I'm not a fan of TFS anymore. It was very enjoyable for me until the Cell reveal. It feels like their humor has changed since then, and Cell's dialogue in particular just sort of screams "Look I said a thing that was supposed to be funny. Laugh now!"

It used to be a very high quality parody but it's almost like it's started to take itself to seriously which it isn't good enough to do. Also I can't stand people saying that TFS is the best dub of DBZ when it's not even a dub
This, kinda. I still enjoy it as noise when I have episodes play in the background when I'm doing something but having re-watch pre-Freeza TFS such as when King Kai realizes hes alone again after Goku leaves, I was actually having a giggle where as when I got to...Android 16 singing that song when he met Goku I was just ":roll:"
Exactly. The humor was more subtle and natural I guess. Like, it made sense that he was lonely now that Goku left. Well, glad I'm not alone, anyway.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:49 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:I'm not a fan of TFS anymore. It was very enjoyable for me until the Cell reveal. It feels like their humor has changed since then, and Cell's dialogue in particular just sort of screams "Look I said a thing that was supposed to be funny. Laugh now!"

It used to be a very high quality parody but it's almost like it's started to take itself to seriously which it isn't good enough to do. Also I can't stand people saying that TFS is the best dub of DBZ when it's not even a dub
Honestly yeah. My thoughts exactly. It's feeling less and less like an abridged series for me, and borderline unofficial fandub + a few jokes thrown in. I can still watch the older stuff (Freeza Saga) and laugh, but the quality takes a nose dive after Cell in my opinion. it was most notable for me in the Semi Perfect Cell material.
I immediately disliked first form Cell. The voice, the jokes, everything. Yeah, veering towards an unofficial fandub is a good way to put it.

hunduel
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hunduel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:46 am

I'm kind of the opposite. I really hate those "make random jokes and call it a day" style of abridged series, like YGO TAS, and I started to enjoy DBZA since Namek Saga, when they actually started to tell the story on their own too. If anything, it's like Kai, with more jokes, less plot holes and different takes on things for better or worse.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:54 am

hunduel wrote:

I'm kind of the opposite. I really hate those "make random jokes and call it a day" style of abridged series, like YGO TAS, and I started to enjoy DBZA since Namek Saga, when they actually started to tell the story on their own too. If anything, it's like Kai, with more jokes, less plot holes and different takes on things for better or worse.
Agreed. I tried re-watching the first season of DBZA and was surprised to realize that I don't actually find it that funny anymore. The Freeza saga and the current Cell Saga are pure gold though. But I have to admit, I also sensed a shift in direction after the Namek arc, and there really were a few episodes where I felt like they were starting to take the story more seriously than the humor. I think they found the perfect balance though.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:46 am

Michsi wrote:
hunduel wrote:

Agreed. I tried re-watching the first season of DBZA and was surprised to realize that I don't actually find it that funny anymore. The Freeza saga and the current Cell Saga are pure gold though. But I have to admit, I also sensed a shift in direction after the Namek arc, and there really were a few episodes where I felt like they were starting to take the story more seriously than the humor. I think they found the perfect balance though.
Namek saga-the No. 20 chase were the perfect balance to me. Everything after, mainly starting with Cell, felt to me like "Hey guys look how funny we are." The jokes feel forced, they seem to try too hard to be serious at times, and there have been too many references to past jokes. Also I really don't like their Goku or Gohan (or Tenshinhan). But I understand this is all personal preference.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:53 am

Forte224 wrote:
Michsi wrote:
hunduel wrote:
Namek saga-the No. 20 chase were the perfect balance to me. Everything after, mainly starting with Cell, felt to me like "Hey guys look how funny we are." The jokes feel forced, they seem to try too hard to be serious at times, and there have been too many references to past jokes. Also I really don't like their Goku or Gohan (or Tenshinhan). But I understand this is all personal preference.
Yeah, when it comes to humor it's all subjective.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Re DBZA: I think the Saiayn saga has a lot of "lolz random", and on rewatch, it's not really funny. Freeza saga is great, good balance between humor and storytelling, and nothing feels forced. The Cell has been fine, but inconisent. The parts before First Form Cell is solid stuff, but after, it's been pretty ehh. Like a lot of jokes don't land, and some things feel really forced, but most of the time it's fine.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:19 pm

It's a parody. There doesn't have to be a balance of jokes and storytelling.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:52 pm

ABED wrote:It's a parody. There doesn't have to be a balance of jokes and storytelling.
Okay ? I just thought it was cool there was one there. Their Cell saga stuff has to much storytelling IMO.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:58 pm

Why are they getting any credit? They didn't write the story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

hunduel
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hunduel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Forte224 wrote:Namek saga-the No. 20 chase were the perfect balance to me. Everything after, mainly starting with Cell, felt to me like "Hey guys look how funny we are." The jokes feel forced, they seem to try too hard to be serious at times, and there have been too many references to past jokes. Also I really don't like their Goku or Gohan (or Tenshinhan). But I understand this is all personal preference.
What actually made the Saiyan Saga so forgettable for me was the references. They were too actual and too pop-culture based. Re-watching them a few years later, especially for someone who's not from the U.S., makes some of their jokes and references literally uninterpretable. I don't want to Wikipedia while I'm watching the show. (Like all the "too soon" jokes they had, and also literally everything from Vegeta3986.

What I agree with is that the amount of jokes is much fewer than it was before - for the better, or the worse. In fact, the History of Trunks movie, if anything, lacked any usual jokes and it was a bit more on the black humor side with less genuine laugh and more "hahaha... ah that's actually sad" moments.

But as you said, it's all about preferences.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:42 pm

Goku at the beginning of Super should have been Goku at the end of the Cell arc, I get why he did what he did but I thought Hail Zeon made a good point after re-watching a video of his was that, "Goku did you remember how this entire thing started and why Trunks lived in that shitty future? Because your ass was dead." to paraphrase

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Here’s one I have upon rewatching the Garlic Jr saga. I don’t think it’s particularly terrible. Granted, I wouldn’t exactly say that it’s good or that it adds anything to the series (it doesn’t) and the animation was pretty subpar, but the horror vibe of the arc was kind of neat and I like the idea of Gohan, Kuririn, and Piccolo having to fend off a major threat to the world without Goku. It certainly had no reason to exist, but I’m not certain it deserves its abysmal reputation.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:50 pm

Tombstone1988 wrote:4.) I still refuse to believe Androids 19 and 20 (before 19 absorbs Goku's energy, at least) were stronger than Freeza. I just refuse to accept that Piccolo got that much stronger in 3 years.
That's not unpopular.
Forte224 wrote:I'm not a fan of TFS anymore. It used to be a very high quality parody but it's almost like it's started to take itself to seriously which it isn't good enough to do. Also I can't stand people saying that TFS is the best dub of DBZ when it's not even a dub
I disagree, though this part of the arc in their parody is feeling like a retold story, I think their humour still good, but you also can complain here
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Noah wrote:
Tombstone1988 wrote:4.) I still refuse to believe Androids 19 and 20 (before 19 absorbs Goku's energy, at least) were stronger than Freeza. I just refuse to accept that Piccolo got that much stronger in 3 years.
That's not unpopular.
It isn't? I always thought I was in the minority on this one, as most people I hear talk about it seem to say the androids were stronger than Freeza.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Most people don't think 19 or 20 are stronger than Namek Freeza.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:39 am

ABED wrote:Why are they getting any credit? They didn't write the story.
Cause they did it well ? It's not like I'm giving them credit for writing the series, I just liked the way they did it.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

hunduel
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hunduel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:16 am

Okay seriously, what's with the hate of Kale and Caulifla and with Super in general? Any time I watch an episode on YT all these cancerous comments pop up and makes me so angry that I have to hide the comments.

Take the current episode as an example. Spoilers ahead so read it carefully.

1. The episode is "filler" because nothing happened. "Worst episode" by far.

Oh right. It is immediately a filler and the "worst" episode by far just because it was all fight-based. You know, I would somewhat agree with you if it was a completely new thing. Guess what: it isn't. Shonens are based on fightings and it wasn't even that long. Not just that, but you immediately have this problem by now while in Z it was perfectly fine?

2. Kale and Caulifla are horrible characters.

Many people criticize them for being "horrible" characters while in fact they are somewhat unique in representing their own archetypes. Kale is objectively more interesting than Broly ever was (and by objectively, I mean she had more screentime to develop from the "KAKAROTTO!" to become something more interesting), and Caulifla is a nice contrast and throwback to what saiyans actually are.

What people really mean by horrible characters is how fast they obtain new forms, or how fast they obtained their current form. And the thing is, that it is somewhat justified by two things:

- They are much stronger than U7 saiyans were when they obtained their true forms. If we take a saiyan even in U7 with the same power level as them, they'd probably have no trouble to actually obtain Super Saiyan.
- People say that the way they obtained it is bullshit, because SSJ should all be about rage. In fact, how many of the SSJ were about rage? Only a few of them. Goku's first transformation and Mirai Trunks's transformation are the true pinnacle of transformations, I agree, but look at the others: they were not as unique and memorable as you remember. If Caulifla's SSJ2 is an asspull, then Goten's, (Present) Trunks's, and even Vegeta's first transformations are asspulls too.

3. The whole Potara thing.

If you've seen the preview, you seen how Kale and Caulifla used the Potara Earrings to fuse. And people immediately thought "OMG IT'S CHEATING". Now, let me be clear again: people already used items. Roshi used Mafuba multiple times and it was okay. Also other characters used items before. Heck, one of the characters have a cane which could easily be used as a weapon. Are these okay? So why not Potara? Also, if it was Vegito, then no one would complain, obviously. Because """reasons""".

(Also the retcon makes much more sense than "magic".)

But of course anything in Z is justified and okay, because of nostalgia.

I love Dragon Ball but sometimes the fan-base makes me puke, to say the least.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:06 am

hunduel wrote:3. The whole Potara thing.

If you've seen the preview, you seen how Kale and Caulifla used the Potara Earrings to fuse. And people immediately thought "OMG IT'S CHEATING".
There's been a widespread misconception about fusion being against the rules. Just like how there was a widespread misconception that said falling out of bounds would mean getting erased instantly. An unreasonable amount of people have fallen for those two, and it took outright proof of the opposite for people to finally drop the latter. And people weren't happy to be proven wrong. I think the same thing is happening again now.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:14 pm

hunduel wrote: 1. The episode is "filler" because nothing happened. "Worst episode" by far.
Oh gosh and even then when we had an episode with NO fighting (Future Trunks and Gohan) people called it a waste of time. These episodes DO add something to the story and characters. For example, Trunks got to see the the fruits of his labor knowing that by interfering with causality Gohan was able to have a career and family that the Future Gohan was unable to experience the joys of having.
hunduel wrote:If you've seen the preview, you seen how Kale and Caulifla used the Potara Earrings to fuse. And people immediately thought "OMG IT'S CHEATING
I hate when this is brought up. "THAT''S CHEATING!" but...TO WHOMST!? The writers are aware of what they are doing as seen when Quitela questioned Master Roshi's capsule. The rules have been CLEARLY stated but not specified to avoid loop holes that the universes can't exploit such as the cane, the cane is not a weapon by nature. Sure it can be used as one but that is not its intended use. Dragon Ball is the only fandom and show where I have to look for tiny crack specific details to try to justify stuff and it can get tiring. At this point I feel like for some things its arguing for the sake of arguing so people can have another tongue and cheek comment with, "Well that's Super for you!" such as when I keep seeing people bringing up how U7 is lower in mortal ranking level than U6 despite winning the U6 tournament (WHICH WAS JUST A 4V5 OH MY GODTHATS DOESN'T MEANY ANYITNH ON A DUNIVERAL AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

But yeah your post hits the nail on the head.