Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by AloversGaming » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:17 pm

ABED wrote:
AloversGaming wrote:I feel Vegeta is done and as a character has outstayed his welcome, only reminding due to fan popularity.

Son Goku is Vegeta's rival. Vegeta is not Son Goku's and hasn't been since the Cell Games. Goku has continued to show he is out of Vegeta's reach.

Hit, Jiren, and possibly Freeza are closer to Goku's equal than Vegeta will probably ever be again. I also wouldn't be surprised if Caulifla and Kale become more of a threat to Goku in 2-3 arcs time.

Vegeta is the Android arc Piccolo of ToP and has been getting the appropriate amount of screen time to match it.

I'm not just talking about power level. Vegeta feels more like Goku-lite now than he does his own person. Where as despite currently being weaker; Hit still is his own character that gives a sense that maybe he can match Goku once more.
Freeza isn't Goku's rival. He was gone from the story for years and even Vegeta surpassed him long ago. Vegeta could definitely have defeated Golden Freeza. He knew the weakness of Freeza's golden form. Vegeta is a step below Goku but he always is. Nearly every accomplishment Goku has achieved, Vegeta has as well.
Like I said above, it's not just power level. Regardless of how close in power Vegeta has come to matching Goku at times there's nothing he has done to peak Goku's interests. Freeza, Hit and the others are more likely to pull out a new technique that will have Goku surprised than Vegeta is. Goku sees through him like a freshly washed window.

At best - post Cell Games Vegeta has been used by Goku to keep his skills sharp so he's ready for stronger opponents, at worst he's been an afterthought similar to Ten and Piccolo.

Vegeta hasn't brought anything new to the table in a long time. While Piccolo has his relationship with the Son family and always interesting insight, Vegeta has no real purpose to be in the franchise anymore. He's closer to Ten, but won't be written out like he was in the Buu arc simply because he's popular. But he should be. There's nothing left to write about for him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:24 pm

Freeza is in no way Goku's rival. He's been defeated every time in decisive fashion. Even though Vegeta isn't as powerful as Goku, he's constantly on Goku's tail and Goku has never actually defeated him in a one on one fight. How is Freeza in any way a rival of Goku when he was defeated 3 times already? Freeza made the same damn mistake that helped lose him their first battle. Not exactly a trait from such a great rival.
At best - post Cell Games Vegeta has been used by Goku to keep his skills sharp so he's ready for stronger opponents, at worst he's been an afterthought similar to Ten and Piccolo.
The difference being that Piccolo and Tenshinhan were outclassed years prior. Vegeta has been able to achieve every level Goku has not long afterward. Didn't Whis or Beerus say something to the effect of they are good for each other?

Perhaps Goku doesn't think about in those terms because he's more concerned with his own development than what others are doing, but that doesn't mean Vegeta isn't his closest rival.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:51 pm

ABED wrote:Freeza is in no way Goku's rival. He's been defeated every time in decisive fashion. Even though Vegeta isn't as powerful as Goku, he's constantly on Goku's tail and Goku has never actually defeated him in a one on one fight. How is Freeza in any way a rival of Goku when he was defeated 3 times already? Freeza made the same damn mistake that helped lose him their first battle. Not exactly a trait from such a great rival.
The difference being that Piccolo and Tenshinhan were outclassed years prior. Vegeta has been able to achieve every level Goku has not long afterward. Didn't Whis or Beerus say something to the effect of they are good for each other?

Perhaps Goku doesn't think about in those terms because he's more concerned with his own development than what others are doing, but that doesn't mean Vegeta isn't his closest rival.
Vegeta after the Cell Saga has been behind by a margin just like the other 2(just because he is not as behind as Tien and Piccolo,that does not mean there is a rivarly)excluding Rof and that few seconds rage boost in BOG.
Also there is no 'closest rival',you are either a rival or you are not and their rivarly has been one sided for a long time.
Goku is Vegeta's rival but Vegeta is not Goku's rival.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:03 pm

ABED wrote:The difference being that Piccolo and Tenshinhan were outclassed years prior. Vegeta has been able to achieve every level Goku has not long afterward. Didn't Whis or Beerus say something to the effect of they are good for each other?
This is Super's approach though (started with ROF ) Vegeta's status as Goku's rival is something that has formed and got cemented in the years after the end of DBZ, rather than something that's been stated in the original story. Throughout the entirety of the Buu saga, Vegeta had been outclassed by Goku. Even their great rematch felt more like Goku humoring him once you find out he has SSJ3.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:48 pm

Even their great rematch felt more like Goku humoring him once you find out he has SSJ3.
Yes, retcons are a bitch.
Vegeta after the Cell Saga has been behind by a margin just like the other 2(just because he is not as behind as Tien and Piccolo,that does not mean there is a rivarly)excluding Rof and that few seconds rage boost in BOG.
Also there is no 'closest rival',you are either a rival or you are not and their rivarly has been one sided for a long time.
Goku is Vegeta's rival but Vegeta is not Goku's rival.
Well it sure as hell isn't Freeza, either. And why are Goku's thoughts relevant here? Vegeta does push Goku to be better. That's a rivalry. It's friendly, but still a rivalry.

Both are competing to be the best. While there are others that come along that are stronger than Goku, Goku usually surpasses them and while Vegeta might not be as strong as Goku, he also reaches those peaks in quick fashion. Everyone else fell behind very quickly. It's only recently that Freeza might fall into the same category.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:27 am

Michsi wrote: This is Super's approach though (started with ROF ) Vegeta's status as Goku's rival is something that has formed and got cemented in the years after the end of DBZ, rather than something that's been stated in the original story. Throughout the entirety of the Buu saga, Vegeta had been outclassed by Goku. Even their great rematch felt more like Goku humoring him once you find out he has SSJ3.
Yeah by the Buu saga even Vegeta was slipping behind Goku, but as of the newer material he has continued to be a rival. Outside of memorable character interactions (my Bulma etc), after the Buu arc, there's little to do to keep Vegeta's character relevant other than his rivalry with Goku.

I'm fine with keeping a competitive but non-hate filled rivalry with Vegeta, keep characters like Freeza as a mortal enemy to Goku as the current material is doing it very well.

It would be cool to see something relevant with Piccolo again even though I understand if Toriyama may not know where to go with him at this point. By the time he fused with Kami his character journey felt complete. Though like Vegeta Piccolo has his fun character interactions and being Uncle Piccolo to Gohan's family.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:39 am

Noah wrote:
ProtoTrunks76 wrote:This might be the most unpopular opinion on this site, from what I find, but I'm just gonna come right out and say it:

In my honest opinion, the musical score for DBZKai 2014 (and by extension, DB Super) is utter shit. Part of the reason as to why that is is probably the reason why the Yamamoto score for the various video games as well as DBZ Kai (plagiarism notwithstanding) is my absolute favourite.
Are you kidding right? I don't think that's impopular at all, many people feel the same way about Kai 2.0 soundtrack and Super in the very first arcs, but by the Champa arc, Future Trunks arc and owards we got plenty of good music in the show.
Interestingly enough I've heard Herms say he has a higher opinion of Sumitomo's music than most but it's not that high, in other words he's not as bad but still not on the level of previous Dragon Ball composers. That was my feeling on Sumitomo up to a point. The Kai 2.0 and early Super scores I've found underwhelming but overall it had a lot of potential. His work for the Future Trunks and Universal Survival arcs has been solid though, I'd say by this point he has surpassed Yamamoto.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:59 pm

ABED wrote: And why are Goku's thoughts relevant here? Vegeta does push Goku to be better.
Since when? The only time I remember that was the Saiyan saga
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote: And why are Goku's thoughts relevant here? Vegeta does push Goku to be better.
Do you need him to say it out loud for it to be so?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:32 pm

ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
I need it to be there for it to be so.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:46 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Since when? The only time I remember that was the Saiyan saga
It can't be implicit?

Goku spends most of the Freeza arc thinking about his rematch with Vegeta.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Since when? The only time I remember that was the Saiyan saga
He outright tells the Ginyus (in Kai's dub at least) to leave Vegeta in one piece so he can have a rematch with him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:59 am

By the Cell arc Goku didn't seem to care about a rematch with Vegeta anymore.

xarmyz

Post by xarmyz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:16 pm

There have been a lot of much better paced series but Dragon Ball Z's pacing isn't that bad and it doesn't deserve it's reputation as "Drag-on Ball". One Piece and Naruto had it far worse.
Goku vs Freeza was actually made better in the anime by being so long this increasing it's epic quality.
90% of the complaints involving the Cell and Buu arcs given here are stupid, arbitrary lines drawn in the sand that can be explained away with a bit of imagination and calling out lack of internal consistency can just as easily apply to Pilaf through Freeza. (Remember Goku dropping Boss Rabbit and his minions on the moon?)
I never cared that Super Saiyan was suppose to be something special that only Goku should have.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:35 pm

To be fair, when Goku dropped those guys off on the moon, it was a gag manga.
Goku vs Freeza was actually made better in the anime by being so long this increasing it's epic quality.
There's epic and there's overstaying your welcome. Kai is still long, but far better and infinitely preferable to Z where they literally had an episode towards the end of the fight that flashbacked to 2 or 3 episodes prior.

Ariesx222

Post by Ariesx222 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:51 am

I really like Yamcha as a character. I hate that he's become a joke and they don't do much with him anymore, in Dragon Ball, he was a cool bandit.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:05 am

Ariesx222 wrote:I really like Yamcha as a character. I hate that he's become a joke and they don't do much with him anymore, in Dragon Ball, he was a cool bandit.
And in DB he was still a joke with his fear of women gag as well as being a measuring stick each tournament, are fans still not getting this? He still has his cool moments but you can't act like he hasn't always been the butt of jokes. I like Yamcha as well but I like both sides of the character.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:10 am

Ariesx222 wrote:I really like Yamcha as a character. I hate that he's become a joke and they don't do much with him anymore, in Dragon Ball, he was a cool bandit.
Hey, I'll take great solace in the fact that he scored a victory in baseball for Universe 7.

Ariesx222

Post by Ariesx222 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:18 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
And in DB he was still a joke with his fear of women gag as well as being a measuring stick each tournament, are fans still not getting this? He still has his cool moments but you can't act like he hasn't always been the butt of jokes. I like Yamcha as well but I like both sides of the character.

Yeah, he was the butt of jokes sometimes but so were a lot of the other characters in Dragon Ball.
He had characterization in Dragon Ball, the viewer cared about him.

Now he's a joke to fans.

Even in Super's English dub, Vegeta took a shot at him.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:24 am

Ariesx222 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:

Yeah, he was the butt of jokes sometimes but so were a lot of the other characters in Dragon Ball.
He had characterization in Dragon Ball, the viewer cared about him.

Now he's a joke to fans.

Even in Super's English dub, Vegeta took a shot at him.
Fuimation,Toei,Toriyama,TFS they all love to take a shot at him to fuel his status as a giant meme. I still like his character for what it's worth.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu