Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:52 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:Sumitomo's music is perfect for a series like Super. It works for a modernized Dragon Ball which Super is, so I feel it works. Kikuchi is perfect in the OG series and gives a classic atmosphere, but It wouldn't work to set Kikuchi tracks to Super.
I would also add that it is a good fit for the Buu saga because that arc is more playful and doesn't take itself as seriously as the earlier arcs. This is exactly why I love Kai, even with the Kikuchi replacement score because it gives both tones for the first and second parts of the series.
But I still found Kikuchi better because Sumitomo got kind of repetitive in TFC.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:While they aren't perfect, I prefer Big Green Kaio and Roshi's voices to Funimation's.
Agreed, currently Bang Zoom Dub Kaiō has the best English Voice.
I'll also add that Ocean and Big Green's voices for Kami are also better.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:23 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:Sumitomo's music is perfect for a series like Super. It works for a modernized Dragon Ball which Super is, so I feel it works. Kikuchi is perfect in the OG series and gives a classic atmosphere, but It wouldn't work to set Kikuchi tracks to Super.
I used to think that too, until I saw the Kikuchi cut. No reason Kikuchi wouldn't work in Super.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:19 pm

When translating a foreign language product into another I prefer a Liberal translation that gets the underlined meaning of the statement but isn't a literal translation. Kai's dub isn't as accurate as people make it out to be, It takes lots of Liberties to make the dialogue sound natural but it still keeps the message behind the dialogue. Take all of Majin Vegeta's dialouge in TFC dub for example.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:52 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:When translating a foreign language product into another I prefer a Liberal translation that gets the underlined meaning of the statement but isn't a literal translation. Kai's dub isn't as accurate as people make it out to be, It takes lots of Liberties to make the dialogue sound natural but it still keeps the message behind the dialogue. Take all of Majin Vegeta's dialouge in TFC dub for example.
FUNimation takes a lot more liberty with scripts when dubbing Dragon Ball compared to their other dubs.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:When translating a foreign language product into another I prefer a Liberal translation that gets the underlined meaning of the statement but isn't a literal translation. Kai's dub isn't as accurate as people make it out to be, It takes lots of Liberties to make the dialogue sound natural but it still keeps the message behind the dialogue. Take all of Majin Vegeta's dialouge in TFC dub for example.
FUNimation takes a lot more liberty with scripts when dubbing Dragon Ball compared to their other dubs.
Some of the liberties they do with other dubs are rather questionable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEXurYaIHao
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
It definitely depends on who the script writer is, Funimation has some good writers and bad writer's. The good writers know how to get the intended message of the Japanese dialogue accross naturally to an English speaker and if necessary change jokes that would be lost on an English speaker so it's still funny. Bad writers are either to direct in their translation so the dialogue sounds unnatural and wooden or they make unnecessary changes or additions to the dialogue that only divide fans of a series.
Last edited by DragonBallKing on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:22 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
I'm surprised they didn't fire the guy who wrote that, really gives modern Funi a bad name.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:33 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: FUNimation takes a lot more liberty with scripts when dubbing Dragon Ball compared to their other dubs.
I'm surprised they didn't fire the guy who wrote that, really gives modern Funi a bad name.
And despite this change, dub fans defend it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:24 pm

A good dub is not meant to be a literal translation, it is supposed to give the viewer the same experience, but in a different language. Kai's dub does just that because, unlike the Z dub the characters are written exactly as they are in the Japanese version with the same motives, strengths and flaws.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:24 pm

I don't think Kai took that many liberties. The dialog and what I read in the subtitles was very close.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Literal translations aren't always the best. In Persona 5 for example, there's a few instances where the characters complain about not being able to speak or read English very well (or at all.) In the Japanese, that's totally fine. But when they dub it, and the characters are speaking perfect English, it just comes off as super awkward.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Yeah aside from a few liberties, the Kai dub is pretty accurate.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Literal translations aren't always the best. In Persona 5 for example, there's a few instances where the characters complain about not being able to speak or read English very well (or at all.) In the Japanese, that's totally fine. But when they dub it, and the characters are speaking perfect English, it just comes off as super awkward.
Translating something like that is tricky, but it can be done, see Steins Gate or Black Lagoon.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:22 pm

I'm not necessarily impressed with the new character, Android 21

In fact, I'm not sure whether I feel indifferent or hate it. :/

I think it's the realization that, despite only appearing in Dragon Ball FighterZ, there are too many questions about how and why this character could exist in the franchise.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:22 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
That's why I watched it in Japanese.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:22 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: FUNimation takes a lot more liberty with scripts when dubbing Dragon Ball compared to their other dubs.
Other than a few questionable changes it's not a bad dub, at least from an acting standpoint.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:47 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Some of the liberties they do with other dubs are rather questionable:
Other than a few questionable changes it's not a bad dub, at least from an acting standpoint.
I just tend to watch anime in Japanese by default and find most of them better in it.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:45 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:And as much as I hate the Garlic Jr. arc, it does provide a reasonable amount of time between Freeza's defeat and Freeza's return. In the manga, it is literally all in the same chapter.
And that's one of the things I love most in the anime, while some people may gripe with fillers, the time transitions are better than the manga (RR arc to 22nd TB arc, Piccolo Daimao arc to 23rd TB arc, Saiyan arc training, etc.)
You say that thinking about old DB/Z tracks, but I don't see how Kikuchi couldn't do new tracks, even his remixed tracks would fit just fine in Super.
MarCas92 wrote:I used to think that too, until I saw the Kikuchi cut. No reason Kikuchi wouldn't work in Super.
What cut? :o
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Noah wrote:
MarCas92 wrote:I used to think that too, until I saw the Kikuchi cut. No reason Kikuchi wouldn't work in Super.
What cut? :o
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36698&hilit=Kikuchi
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!