Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:14 am

WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
I think it’s primairly his performance in the Pioneer dubs of the movies that he gets praised for. As far as his performance in the series itself is concerned, he never really had an opportunity to showcase much of anything, given that not only was he brought in as a replacement, but he himself got replaced twice. He gets points for the fact that his screams can sometimes sound like Nozawa’s, though.
He was around for 16 episodes. He had plenty of opportunities. How much longer does he need?
He didn’t play Goku for most of the major moments in the series. He didn’t play Goku during his fight with Vegeta or Freeza, for example.
He doesn't need that to show what he's capable of doing. 16 episodes and 3 movies are more than enough to get a read on his talents.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:19 am

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote: He was around for 16 episodes. He had plenty of opportunities. How much longer does he need?
He didn’t play Goku for most of the major moments in the series. He didn’t play Goku during his fight with Vegeta or Freeza, for example.
He doesn't need that to show what he's capable of doing.
I’m not saying he didn’t have any opportunities to show what he could do in the role. I’m saying that his big moments in the role were primarily from the movies. The series proper didn’t give him as much to do in comparison.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:22 am

WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
He doesn't need that to show what he's capable of doing.
I’m not saying he didn’t have any opportunities to show what he could do in the role. I’m saying that his big moments in the role were primarily from the movies. The series proper didn’t give him as much to do in comparison.
And I'm saying I'm not interested in seeing him do any of that because I don't like his performance after 16 episodes. Hell, after the first episode, I knew I wasn't going to like his Goku.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:24 pm

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote: He doesn't need that to show what he's capable of doing.
And I'm saying I'm not interested in seeing him do any of that because I don't like his performance after 16 episodes. Hell, after the first episode, I knew I wasn't going to like his Goku.
Do you have an English Goku you like? Looking back, I can't find any really. At least, none that come close to capturing the spirit of the character. Corlett, Kelamis, Morrow, Schemmel, etc. just don't seem to do it. Of course, Kelamis and Schemmel got to work with decent scripts and we saw attempts at the goofy/naive side of Goku but mileage varies on how people feel about the results.

Corlett gets a lot of praise but I just don't see it. Even in instances where the script doesn't affect much, like screams, he sounds flat.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:42 pm

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote: He doesn't need that to show what he's capable of doing.
I never said I cared much for his performance either. I was responding to another poster who expressed confusion at the people who praise Peter Kelamis in the role.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Do you have an English Goku you like? Looking back, I can't find any really. At least, none that come close to capturing the spirit of the character. Corlett, Kelamis, Morrow, Schemmel, etc. just don't seem to do it. Of course, Kelamis and Schemmel got to work with decent scripts and we saw attempts at the goofy/naive side of Goku but mileage varies on how people feel about the results.

Corlett gets a lot of praise but I just don't see it. Even in instances where the script doesn't affect much, like screams, he sounds flat.
Corlett's not flat, he's subtle. He's too subdued for the character, but I still like his acting nonetheless. Kelamis is awful, Morrow is bland, and Schemmel tries too hard. Schemmel's probably my favorite English speaking Goku, but still nowhere near Nozawa.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:27 pm

Understood, thanks.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:07 pm

Wait, you think Schemmel tries too hard, ABED? I thought that you liked him from the get-go. Personally, I think that's being too kind towards his performance.

And I'm not sure if 16 episodes and three movies are what someone needs to justify Kelamis' talents as a voice actor. For all we know, he could be good in something else.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:11 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Wait, you think Schemmel tries too hard, ABED? I thought that you liked him from the get-go. Personally, I think that's being too kind towards his performance.

And I'm not sure if 16 episodes and three movies are what someone needs to justify Kelamis' talents as a voice actor. For all we know, he could be good in something else.
Well, it would be more accurate to say I thought he was a big improvement over Kelamis.

Perhaps he is good in something else, but he's not good in DB.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Kinda sad that Corlett's screams for Goku were weak since I recall him screaming quite well in Beast Wars. If he had channeled his performance from that show and was given more accurate scripts, then he would have been an amazing Goku.

Heck, it's kinda sad that Drummond didn't get to hear Horikawa when he first got to play Vegeta since he's capable of doing a performance similar to his.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:13 pm

I think fans place too much importance on the screams as though they are a measuring stick of a good performance.

Drummond's performance as Vegeta is just fine. He doesn't need to sound like Horikawa.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:16 pm

ABED wrote:I think fans place too much importance on the screams as though they are a measuring stick of a good performance.

Drummond's performance as Vegeta is just fine. He doesn't need to sound like Horikawa.
Exactly. If you want a performance similar to the Japanese, just watch the Japanese. A good dub voice doesn't have to sound like the original.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Coola's Revenge is not a good movie.

Goku spends half the movie in a cave waiting for Gohan to bring him a senzu, while nothing interesting is happening in the meantime.
Coola's soldiers are boring.
Some scenes from SSJ Goku vs Coola fight are just the same as SSJ Goku vs Freeza.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:19 pm

ABED wrote:I think fans place too much importance on the screams as though they are a measuring stick of a good performance.

Yeah I know, but considering that many people think Drummond only fits Vegeta when he was a villain, perhaps they wouldn't think that way if he sounded like Horikawa.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:29 pm

I've heard him as other characters and I don't hear anything remotely Horikawa like.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:46 pm

ABED wrote:I've heard him as other characters and I don't hear anything remotely Horikawa like.
Okay, maybe I should have said that if he had sounded like his character in Gundam Wing, people wouldn't have thought he'd sound out of place when he joins Goku.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:

Exactly. If you want a performance similar to the Japanese, just watch the Japanese. A good dub voice doesn't have to sound like the original.
Johnny Yong Bosch said it best: they're voice actors, not voice imitators. What is even the point of doing a dub it'll just be the Japanese voices except in English?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:36 pm

ABED wrote:

Corlett's not flat, he's subtle. He's too subdued for the character, but I still like his acting nonetheless. Kelamis is awful, Morrow is bland, and Schemmel tries too hard. Schemmel's probably my favorite English speaking Goku, but still nowhere near Nozawa.
Sean's voice nowadays sounds even MORE unfitting, it sounds like he's making it deeper purposefully that's why it's raspy and way too gruff. Totally out of Character for Goku, he isn't some random Tough Guy. when Nozawa deepens her Goku voice in serious scenes, her Goku still sounds like a Serious "Goku" and not a generic tough Guy unlike Sean who makes him sound like a Generic western tough guy with a Gruff tone and nothing "Goku-like" is there in it with the speech pattern lacking hick tone already from the start and only giving more "generic" Superhero feel. also his goofy Goku is forced like i am hearing Mario with the way he forces his deep voice to sound funny along with the annoying laugh of his. he only has three ways of showing Goku's emotions "Happy", "Angry" and "Bored" and he doesn't even possess much range and has same two-three noises to portray Goku's emotions including those "King Kai" grunts of his. Nozawa's Goku is natural in portraying his goofy and serious side. she has a much better range and doesn't overact thus the portrayal comes off as more natural than Sean's try hard tough guy superhero.

I'm not saying Goku can't be voiced by a man, Peter Kelamis is a man but his Goku sounds more like Manchild even while angry or doing screams, while Schemmels Goku always sounds like a gruff manly biker when he's angry. also there's a misconception that "people only like Kelamis because he copied Japanese voice", when in reality Kelamis didn't really sound Japanese in the slightest. He had a thick American accent and used dub terms. He still sounds American. His tone of voice actually fits Goku, though. That's where Sean Schemmel Goku fails in capturing the character, whether we're talking new or old dubs.
as mentioned earlier, he has three emotions that he almost never breaks. Angry, happy, and bored. imo his actual voice doesn't fit Goku in the slightest, and his range when playing the character is standard at best. though he improved a lot in recent years but i can't say he is best.
Nozawa and Kelamis could both play the role. They fit Goku's character, and they're both far better actors, that's what i think.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:43 pm

I don't hear biker from Schemmel, nor do I hear manchild from Kelamis. All I hear from Kelamis is a weird cadence that sounds like he's trying to sound goofy. He's performing, he's not acting, if that makes sense. I don't like it at all.

Also, i"m pretty sure Kelamis is Canadian.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:14 pm

I guess we just have to disagree about Schemmel once again. Even if I think he's an asshole and has some of the lines rewritten, I have little problem with Schemmel as Goku.