Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:24 pm

ABED wrote:After the fact.
I'd need some more specifics to discuss, but Goku could hypothetically fight Gero without anyone coming to real harm. He did as much with Vegeta and Piccolo Jr.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Still at a loss as to why they decline blood and battle damage in Super. The current fight was proof enough that no matter what, they'll not spill it. Bergamo took a Kaioken SSJB Kamehameha and came out harmless. It angers me a lot, and I wish It didn't.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:57 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Still at a loss as to why they decline blood and battle damage in Super. The current fight was proof enough that no matter what, they'll not spill it. Bergamo took a Kaioken SSJB Kamehameha and came out harmless. It angers me a lot, and I wish It didn't.
Not quite unpopular as many people critcizes the lack of blood and damage on Super, It's a shame we never something similar to that in this show:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Noah wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Still at a loss as to why they decline blood and battle damage in Super. The current fight was proof enough that no matter what, they'll not spill it. Bergamo took a Kaioken SSJB Kamehameha and came out harmless. It angers me a lot, and I wish It didn't.
Not quite unpopular as many people critcizes the lack of blood and damage on Super, It's a shame we never something similar to that in this show:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Just compare to how Goku looks when Piccolo blows a hole in his chest to what happens when Black does it (twice!) in Super. And no, ki blasts do not cauterize wounds, outside of maybe movie stuff, when they cut through you, you tend to bleed from it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:24 pm

I hate the fact that Coola never used his suppression forms.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Gog wrote:I hate the fact that Coola never used his suppression forms.
Why would he? Knowing a guy was capable of killing his brother in his final form, he probably assume it would be reckless to do so.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:32 pm

Noah wrote:
Why would he? Knowing a guy was capable of killing his brother in his final form, he probably assume it would be reckless to do so.
No not that the problem was that he never uses his suppression forms, even when he's on some random planet drinking wine. Honestly the whole concept of mastering the finial form and ditching the suppression forms is just a concept I never liked in the first place, it makes Freeza, King Cold, and Frost seem like the biggest dumb-asses in existence, for just simply not mastering their finial forms.

Heck Freeza even used his first form in ROF, despite mastering his finial form.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:15 pm

Gog wrote:
Noah wrote:
No not that the problem was that he never uses his suppression forms, even when he's on some random planet drinking wine. Honestly the whole concept of mastering the finial form and ditching the suppression forms is just a concept I never liked in the first place, it makes Freeza, King Cold, and Frost seem like the biggest dumb-asses in existence, for just simply not mastering their finial forms.

Heck Freeza even used his first form in ROF, despite mastering his finial form.
Cooler didn't really 'Master' his final form, he just got used to keeping it as his natural state. Then through training (Which Frieza never did) he managed to achieve a transformation. And even if it was 'mastering' their forms, yeah, it's perfectly in character for someone like Frieza to not do that. He's a lazy, entitled brat who was born with power. He only wants to know how to use his form, he puts no effort into improvement. Not until he was faced with how far Goku had surpassed him. And we know very little about King Kold, and he seems to be just as lazy as Frieza.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Kanassa wrote: Cooler didn't really 'Master' his final form, he just got used to keeping it as his natural state. Then through training (Which Frieza never did) he managed to achieve a transformation. And even if it was 'mastering' their forms, yeah, it's perfectly in character for someone like Frieza to not do that. He's a lazy, entitled brat who was born with power. He only wants to know how to use his form, he puts no effort into improvement. Not until he was faced with how far Goku had surpassed him. And we know very little about King Kold, and he seems to be just as lazy as Frieza.
That's the same as mastering it. It's the same thing that Goku did when he mastered Super Saiyan, he mastered the finial form to such a state where he didn't need the suppression forms any more. But is it in character for Frost to do so? Honestly my main problem is how bad it makes King Cold, Freeza, Frost and Kuriza to an extant look, it makes them look stupid in front of Coola, the only guy who mastered his finial form and stays in his finial form.

It even makes me question the usefulness of the suppression forms when you can just simply train the true form to such a state where you don't need them anymore. And if that was the case than Freeza hanging around in his first form in ROF makes no sense. What do you mean? King Cold was shown to be an incredibly pragmatic character who would have rather blown earth up from a distance rather than actually go and risk his life against the Super Saiyan.

Actually another thing I never actually liked, the fifth form that Coola got, it just does not work as an ascension form for the Arcosians, I would have preferred if it was Coola's second suppression form.

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:36 am

Goku should have never made friends with Beerus, Whis, and especially not Zeno. It pretty much removed the tension from Resurrection F and the Future Trunks arc.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:47 am

King-K9 wrote:Goku should have never made friends with Beerus, Whis, and especially not Zeno. It pretty much removed the tension from Resurrection F and the Future Trunks arc.
I find that to be quite a popular opinion, and it does irk me at times. Although I'm still hoping Super will follow up on the theme of heroes relying on the Gods too much and eventually something happens where Beerus, Whis, and Zeno becoming less prominent (especially since some say the former two have overstayed their welcome) will be pivotal to the story.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:55 am

King-K9 wrote:Goku should have never made friends with Beerus, Whis, and especially not Zeno. It pretty much removed the tension from Resurrection F and the Future Trunks arc.
How did that take tension away from the Future Trunks Arc? Beerus and Whis were unable to come to the future and Zeno was a last resort option that in the end hurt more than saved.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Kanassa wrote:
How did that take tension away from the Future Trunks Arc? Beerus and Whis were unable to come to the future and Zeno was a last resort option that in the end hurt more than saved.
Because we knew if shit hit the fan, Goku had a Zeno summoning button in his back pocket.

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Goku could have literally pressed that button at any time. How does that not instantly remove any or all tension?

Guesswhoo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Guesswhoo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:12 pm

About DB minus, i really don't understand the hate it gets :? . The major complaint I hear is about the de-canonization of the Bardock Special when DB minus is just presented as a prologue (it happens 1 month before the Bardock special) to it but with minor (good) correction:
_Above all, Raditz is mentionned and is treated as Bardock son (not a minor correction for me because I like Raditz) :clap:
_The sayan aren't a bunch of idiot in the manga in contrary to the anime where "Sayan is a prideful race" is mistaken as "Sayan are a bunch of idiot hot headed people".
_Many complained about the fact that Goku wasn't a baby when it would be strange for an already small populated race to send off a naked baby and just hoping that baby somehow watch the moon and transform into a rampaging King Kong.
_Freezer fears are actually legitimate because sayan really show hate for him and would use every mean possible to get rid of him
But i'll agree that the SSG thing was shoehorned inside the manga. :thumbdown:
The only complaint i have is about Gine being the good girl with Bardock angsty personnality being really Shojo-ish :sick:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:42 pm

King-K9 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Goku could have literally pressed that button at any time. How does that not instantly remove any or all tension?
Yeah, and pressing the button was a bad thing, did you not see what happened when Goku did it?

Kanassa wrote:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:02 pm

Kanassa wrote:
King-K9 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: How did that take tension away from the Future Trunks Arc? Beerus and Whis were unable to come to the future and Zeno was a last resort option that in the end hurt more than saved.
Yeah, and pressing the button was a bad thing, did you not see what happened when Goku did it?
That's a retroactive excuse. At the time, it was still a fix-all button, everyone knew it. Also, a bad thing? Did you forget that Zamasu literally killed everyone and became the Universe before Zeno lifted a finger? Zamasu killed the baby before Zeno even threw out the bathwater, effectively still meaning that it was a tension-killer. If a similar situation rose against, it would still be a tension-killer.
Retired.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:08 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: That's a retroactive excuse. At the time, it was still a fix-all button, everyone knew it. Also, a bad thing? Did you forget that Zamasu literally killed everyone and became the Universe before Zeno lifted a finger? Zamasu killed the baby before Zeno even threw out the bathwater, effectively still meaning that it was a tension-killer. If a similar situation rose against, it would still be a tension-killer.
Not really, the arc gave clear build up in all but saying that pressing that button would have consequences. Especially with the warnings about Zeno. Zamasu didn't kill everyone, he killed the humans on Earth, the rest of the universe was killed by Zeno.

Kanassa wrote:

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:19 am

Noah wrote:Not quite unpopular as many people critcizes the lack of blood and damage on Super, It's a shame we never something similar to that in this show
I dont know if anyone brought this up yet, but I'm not too keen on how Super changed most of the sound effects from what the original show had. Especially the pitch of the Kamehameha charge up sound.
Guesswhoo wrote:_Freezer fears are actually legitimate because sayan really show hate for him and would use every mean possible to get rid of him.
But there is no reason for them to hate him, the point of the Bardock Special was that Freeza betrayed them in his eyes in the pride of their loyalty and him having even more pride feeling vindictive. Where as in Minus, the Saiyans act like normal humans neutral about everything. The saiyans need to have been barbaric in order to show the contrast between them and Goku. It was also the trait that Freeza feared in them collectively and why other alien races that worked in Freeza's elite, looked down on them.
Guesswhoo wrote:The only complaint i have is about Gine being the good girl with Bardock angsty personnality being really Shojo-ish :sick:
Its very fanficy and doesn't make sense at all for it to happen. Gine is really a canon Mary-Sue character and very undermining to the Special's work.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:51 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I dont know if anyone brought this up yet, but I'm not too keen on how Super changed most of the sound effects from what the original show had. Especially the pitch of the Kamehameha charge up sound.
Not quite unpopular either, I hate that they changed Arai Hidenori's SFX to new ones, it just feels off and lacks impact. I don't know why they kept in XENOVERSE but couldn't kept in Super :problem:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs