Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:12 am

ABED wrote:We got to see an interesting different side to Vegeta and he was given a nice bit of development when we saw his love for Bulma push him to a new level of power. I really don't see how the cast was used any worse than other movies.
I am not talking about other movies here but BoG, and even then some other of the Z movies utilised the cast much more efficiently.

The issue with Vegeta is not that but the fact that's all we got from him in the movie, he loves Bulma whoppi f**cking do it's not like they're "married" and had a child together no we must have Vegeta scream it from the top of his lungs... Cuz "Development". Vegeta's "power up" barely lasted before he was on the floor again, a cool moment for the sake of it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:39 am

You don't need to be in love to have a child

WHat movies used the cast more effectively?
no we must have Vegeta scream it from the top of his lungs... Cuz "Development".
No need to be sarcastic and put quotes around it. It was development. He's never had quite a boost like this out of anger. Righteous anger I might add.
Vegeta's "power up" barely lasted before he was on the floor again, a cool moment for the sake of it.
It was a small moment, but it does mean something. That's what it's all about - moments.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:43 am

Though I generally disagree with Baggie about BoGs quality, the Vegeta stuff rubs me the wrong way. Firstly, Vegeta didn't get jack or shit when Cell killed Trunks and now the same thing happens and he can apparently smash Goku's SS3 face in? (Super makes this exponentially worse). Right, maybe in Narnia this makes sense but not where I'm sitting.

I also think Vegeta making an ass out of himself is a much better showcase for how he cares about the Earth and his circle of friends. That he's willing to look like a total moron in front of all of them to keep Beerus happy is a better way of showing how much Vegeta cares. Him exploding from range might look cooler but cool does not by default mean good.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:01 am

Perhaps it's me putting a square peg in a round hole but I chalked it up to Vegeta being further along in his development than when he fought Cell. I don't think it was showing that Vegeta could defeat Super Saiyan 3, but in that moment he showed there's a deeper well of power than anyone thought, if only for an instant.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Vegeta in the Cell Saga was definitely not the same Vegeta in BOG.

In the Cell Saga Vegeta hasn't even come to terms that he cares about his family yet. So when Cell killed Trunks he was upset and in rage but he had so many conflicting emotions and I don't think he even understood what was happening. That was only the first time he showed he even cared.

BOG Vegeta has fully accepted his place on Earth and love for his family (even if he doesn't usually outright admit it). Vegeta doesn't care what happens to himself (as shown by the fact that he accepted his fate with Beerus) but anything bad happening to Bulma or his family well that he can't accept. And in his anger over what happened to Bulma he was able to find more power within him.

It doesn't exactly come from nowhere because it has been shown rage and anger increases a Saiyan's power. Vegeta caring about his family does give him more strength than a Vegeta who doesn't care about his family.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:39 pm

While they aren't perfect, I prefer Big Green Kaio and Roshi's voices to Funimation's.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:06 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:While they aren't perfect, I prefer Big Green Kaio and Roshi's voices to Funimation's.
Big green Kaio is a pretty spot on Yanami impersonation in english, my Ideal english Kaio is Uncle Iroh's voice from Avatar.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Sumitomo's music is perfect for a series like Super. It works for a modernized Dragon Ball which Super is, so I feel it works. Kikuchi is perfect in the OG series and gives a classic atmosphere, but It wouldn't work to set Kikuchi tracks to Super.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:16 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:While they aren't perfect, I prefer Big Green Kaio and Roshi's voices to Funimation's.
Big green Kaio is a pretty spot on Yanami impersonation in english, my Ideal english Kaio is Uncle Iroh's voice from Avatar.
Unfortunately Mako passed away.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:19 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
The actor from Conan the Barbarian?

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:20 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
While its very sad that he passed his replacement was still very good as Iroh, but Mako is still the one and only Aku for me.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:21 pm

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: Big green Kaio is a pretty spot on Yanami impersonation in english, my Ideal english Kaio is Uncle Iroh's voice from Avatar.
Yes. He had a great voice.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:22 pm

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: Big green Kaio is a pretty spot on Yanami impersonation in english, my Ideal english Kaio is Uncle Iroh's voice from Avatar.
Yep, never seen all of Conan despite being a big fan of Arnie.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:27 pm

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Avatar dedicated a whole segment of an episode as a tribute to him.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:29 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Though I generally disagree with Baggie about BoGs quality, the Vegeta stuff rubs me the wrong way. Firstly, Vegeta didn't get jack or shit when Cell killed Trunks and now the same thing happens and he can apparently smash Goku's SS3 face in?
IMO Vegeta and Goku are much closer together in terms of strength compared to Cell Games Vegeta and Super Perfect Cell. Vegeta himself said that Gohan far outstripped him in terms out power at that time and Gohan had a tricky time dealing with Super Perfect Cell, so it makes sense that it wasn't that effective.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Insertclevername wrote:Also I guess I don't like Broli, which I see a lot of people do. He just was never a character I got into nor thought was interesting and threatening. He just seemed like the epitome of DBZ stereotypes and to be honest, was extremely generic.
At least here, most people don't like Broli. But to be honest, he wasn't any worse than any of the other movie villains; people mainly took notice of and dislike him because of the fans constantly sucking his dick and saying how he's much stronger than Super Saiyan 4 Vegetto.
People naturally like Broly because he fills in something strongly the general story deals with so badly and that is making things seem genuinely difficulty for goku. That is the weakest part of the story and he's like running into a brick wall. The only downside is even with Broly they cheap out and kill him easily instead of writing better to find a way around it. He's liked for a very legitimate reason. And the dragon ball writing needs way more of it that just Broly. In fact the more complex the writing the more room there is for overly powerful enemies becuase that is not what makes you strong strategically. Unless you can use it to enough of a degree to surpass any weaknesses. And Broly is aggressive enough and strong enough to rightly knock around the z fighters all day with the weak story and pathetic makeup the z fighters are presented in most of the time.

What they should do, or should have done, with broly is not let goku win and let the story stay that way for a long time and make him work to get over him. There are no long term struggles. Goku always thinks things out ahead of time magically and we never see the struggle or work put into it. Showing him work up to it would also help. But he needs to be made to show actual doing work doing the work in a way that is much more significant. They are kind of doing that with beerus now but beerus does not have a significant impact on the daily occurrences especial with him basically or completely on their team. He would have had to be kept as an adversary and some form of threat. Or more than they did. The only work they had to to do get him over was already gokus basic lifestyle and was more of a joke than a struggle.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:26 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Unfortunately Mako passed away.
Avatar dedicated a whole segment of an episode as a tribute to him.
Indeed, and it was very touching.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:45 pm

Tales of Ba Sing Se was one of the best Avatar episodes by far.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:46 am

Agreed, currently Bang Zoom Dub Kaiō has the best English Voice.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:52 am

DragonBallKing wrote:Sumitomo's music is perfect for a series like Super. It works for a modernized Dragon Ball which Super is, so I feel it works. Kikuchi is perfect in the OG series and gives a classic atmosphere, but It wouldn't work to set Kikuchi tracks to Super.
I would also add that it is a good fit for the Buu saga because that arc is more playful and doesn't take itself as seriously as the earlier arcs. This is exactly why I love Kai, even with the Kikuchi replacement score because it gives both tones for the first and second parts of the series.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: