Are there any celebrities that like Dragon Ball/Z/GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Re: Are there any celebrities that like Dragon Ball/Z/GT?

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:47 pm

Freeza is also showed in another scan. I'll post it later :roll:
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:48 pm

Now this is cool. A FIFA World Cup player, Uruguay's Walter Gargano, revealed he wore these shin protectors every game. Said he's loved Dragon Ball all his life.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:09 am

xmysticgohanx wrote:Freeza is also showed in another scan. I'll post it later :roll:
http://m.imgur.com/qMTs2ap
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z

FrogTrigger
Beyond Newbie

Post by FrogTrigger » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:32 am

Cool stuff mysticgohan!

Uh one of my favorite rappers, Avionadramida (RIP) used some DBZ samples on songs and also had some tracks titled like Android 17, 18, 20, and 21

Android 17 has a Chrono Trigger sample-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSlIXjGNb2o

Android 18-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ulrMRChqw
I like the line You are The Android 18 to my Krillin/although its rather funny cause in this case I'm the villain

Android 20-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reOSw_KAlao

I dig this mainly for the sample if I'm being honest.

Android 21-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHp_yMJ7SzA

"killa cats make mishaps/you can get smoked like Bo hitting a Jack" hehe

"Leaving trails of ashes behind/representing Raditz slipping spines!"

FinalFlash17

Post by FinalFlash17 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:01 pm

I was watching The Wire and noticed a drawing of Gotenks in the background lol.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:39 pm

A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SSJJezter
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJJezter » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:32 pm

I went to see Eminem perform at Wembley Stadium on Friday night (amazing btw!) and during one of the warm up performances, Tyler the Creator, from Odd Future, pretended to fire a Kamehameha into the crowd! Unfortunately, none of the friends I went with recognised the reference but it was still cool.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:43 pm

SSJJezter wrote:I went to see Eminem perform at Wembley Stadium on Friday night (amazing btw!) and during one of the warm up performances, Tyler the Creator, from Odd Future, pretended to fire a Kamehameha into the crowd! Unfortunately, none of the friends I went with recognised the reference but it was still cool.
serious question, was it a Kamehameha or a Hadoken?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SSJJezter
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJJezter » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:03 pm

ABED wrote:
SSJJezter wrote:I went to see Eminem perform at Wembley Stadium on Friday night (amazing btw!) and during one of the warm up performances, Tyler the Creator, from Odd Future, pretended to fire a Kamehameha into the crowd! Unfortunately, none of the friends I went with recognised the reference but it was still cool.
Haha, no I understand the scepticism! He literally shouted "KAAAAAAAA... MEEEEEEEE... HAAAAAAAA... MEEEEEEE... HAAAAAAAAAAA!"

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:00 pm

SSJJezter wrote:
ABED wrote:
Haha, no I understand the scepticism! He literally shouted "KAAAAAAAA... MEEEEEEEE... HAAAAAAAA... MEEEEEEE... HAAAAAAAAAAA!"
That's awesome lol
Kai >>> Z

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:34 pm

Apparently Osric Chau who plays Kevin Tran on Supernatural is a fan of DBZ. I just saw a picture of him in Mark Sheppard's arms at the Supernatural convention in Vancouver dressed as Super Saiyan Goku.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:01 pm

Well Naho Ooishi and Oda are both certainly fans of the Dragon Ball franchise :lol:

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:46 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I bet most of the American celebrities that like it are English dub-only fans. :problem:
You are aware many of those guys are from the hood, right?

Don't know if this counts, but Travis Willingham who is currently voicing the Mighty Thor in current Marvel cartoons such as Avengers Assemble and Ultimate Spider-Man was a fan in his youth.
The man who voices Cell in many recent Dragon Ball games is Travis Willingham.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:57 pm

Waka Flock mentioned Goku in a verse in one of his song, he must have grown up with the show to. LOL

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:56 pm

Yoshihiro Togashi
(Yu Yu Hakusho and HunterxHunter mangaka)
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:24 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote:Waka Flock mentioned Goku in a verse in one of his song, he must have grown up with the show to. LOL
Here's proof.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it1Vu6-h5Sk

Also, I figured YYH and HXH had some sort of Dragon Ball influence. I see it when I watch.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:26 am

Super Sonic wrote:It's not that. It's that a lot of brothas will yell "ENGLISH MOTHERF*$%ER!" at you if you try to put subs and something in another language.
I'm sure even Soujaboy is aware of the japanese version, if he is a fan of naruto than subs wouldnt be new to him. There are a lot of black DBZ fans on youtube alone who have read the manga. I have black friends no different who only watch anime subbed actually.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:30 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Rafael Nadal was:
http://www.cnngo.com/tokyo/play/rafael- ... nis-216638
And probably still is:

Dragon Ball inspiration
Rocketing across the court, twisting to hit winners from impossible angles, Nadal sometimes even looks like Goku, with his mouth open in a grunt that is both ugly and sexy for millions of his worldwide fans.

“It’s my favorite cartoon,” Nadal tells journalists in Japan who ask him about "Dragon Ball" after his opening round victory at his first ever Japan Open.

“I have all the DVDs, from the first one to the last one.”

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:34 pm

The Game Grumps (a YouTube let's play channel) played Hyper Dragon Ball Z the other week and mentioned the US theatrical release of BoG ('this was part of a paid promotion' according to the video description). One of the Game Grumps is Arin Hanson, better known as 'Egoraptor', who I would say is a celebrity, by internet standards at least. My wording may sound like he was paid to pretend to like DBZ, but he has done DBZ videos in the past, plus there's fanart on the hidden 'scrap' directory of his website (which has somehow become 403 forbidden since the last time I went there), and his deviantART (shudder) page, such as this picture of Trunks.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:52 pm

Weejus wrote:The Game Grumps (a YouTube let's play channel) played Hyper Dragon Ball Z the other week and mentioned the US theatrical release of BoG ('this was part of a paid promotion' according to the video description). One of the Game Grumps is Arin Hanson, better known as 'Egoraptor', who I would say is a celebrity, by internet standards at least. My wording may sound like he was paid to pretend to like DBZ, but he has done DBZ videos in the past, plus there's fanart on the hidden 'scrap' directory of his website (which has somehow become 403 forbidden since the last time I went there), and his deviantART (shudder) page, such as this picture of Trunks.

I've never been much of a fan of Arin's but he made a Dragon Ball Z video when he was a teen, (I think 13?) It's kinda painful to watch but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=003j5Ib2b2g

Yeah he was definitely a Dragon Ball Z fan but is he really a celebrity?
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3