Women voicing men, Tanaka's Kuririn, etc.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Women voicing men, Tanaka's Kuririn, etc.

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:51 am

Look, I'm sorry for bringing up another one of these topics, but it's just a quick thought.

You know some people complain about how, between the dubs and subs, it's wrong for a woman to voice an adult male? They use this as the reason for why, in their opinion, Linda Young was bad as Freeza, and Nozawa was bad as Gokuu.

Well, what about Mayumi Tanaka's Kuririn? I've never, and I mean never, heard anyone complain about her performance. So basically, isn't the point of this that it doesn't matter what the gender of the actor is, as long as they can play the role well. I mean, sometimes you can't even tell the gender of the actor behind the character, until you read the credits or something.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Re: Women voicing men, Tanaka's Kuririn, etc.

Post by dprez » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:14 am

Kuririn being a little shrimp, tagging along with Gohan half the time, next to the tall super strong main guy, it's understandable that some would complain about Nozawa as big bad Goku and not Tanaka as little Kuririn.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:23 am

To be fair, I've always liked Kuririn's voice it felt right for him, also, Tanaka's Luffi vocal too but I don't see anyone complaining about her voicing him at all.

It's the first time I have seen this being brought up.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:24 am

When I first heard Tanaka as Yajirobe I was kinda shocked, I was too used to the deep voice of the English versions, but I had read the first 16 volumes of the manga at this point and remembered Goku saying that his voice was similar to Kuririn's. Plus I didn't actually know who played Yajirobe at that point.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:29 am

The Time Traveller wrote:When I first heard Tanaka as Yajirobe I was kinda shocked, I was too used to the deep voice of the English versions, but I had read the first 16 volumes of the manga at this point and remembered Goku saying that his voice was similar to Kuririn's. Plus I didn't actually know who played Yajirobe at that point.
How would Toriyama know who was going to voice Yajirobe when he wrote that? Maybe he had already planned on having Tanaka voice him...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:31 am

If the only complaint is "DIFFERENT GENDER NOOOOOOOOO!", then you haven't really brought a valid criticism or thought process to the table in the first place, and it's not a viewpoint worth acknowledging in a larger conversation.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:06 pm

dprez wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:When I first heard Tanaka as Yajirobe I was kinda shocked, I was too used to the deep voice of the English versions, but I had read the first 16 volumes of the manga at this point and remembered Goku saying that his voice was similar to Kuririn's. Plus I didn't actually know who played Yajirobe at that point.
How would Toriyama know who was going to voice Yajirobe when he wrote that? Maybe he had already planned on having Tanaka voice him...
They probably cast her because of this line, either that or he did actually have a say in it...

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:54 pm

Most authors have a say in who's cast in their series' adaptations. So if Toriyama wanted to make a throw away joke about voices I'm sure Toei would let him.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:00 pm

I notice One Piece fans don't give Tanaka shit about playing a 17 year old male, either. Nor do they give any guff to Colleen Clinkenbeard playing him in English.

DBZ fans are just used to what they're used to, and anything different sucks.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:14 pm

I think dprez has a point, even if it's not really a valid argument persay, in that it's more 'acceptable' to some people due to Kuririn's diminutive size. On a more personal level, I think it's also because - to me anyway - Tanaka is even better as Kuririn than Nozawa is as Goku. That's right, I said it.

I dunno what it is, but I ADORE her Kuririn. I love Nozawa's Goku now...but not to near the same level. There's just something insanely charming about her performance as him, I was always looking forward to more Kuririn stuff when I was watching the show subbed (though I'll admit I wasn't so fond of her very-end-of-Z and GT 'Old Kuririn' approach).
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

SSJToreto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJToreto » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:15 pm

I only ever saw this being a problem to 8 year old boys, who end up meeting the VA for some reason and going "EEEEEwwww Trunks is a girrrl. COOTIES!" (this has a source btw lol)

I was guilty of this as well.

When I was a toddler... -___-

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:21 pm

SSJToreto wrote:I only ever saw this being a problem to 8 year old boys, who end up meeting the VA for some reason and going "EEEEEwwww Trunks is a girrrl. COOTIES!" (this has a source btw lol)
A small part of me refuses to believe anyone of any age went 'Eww' upon meeting Laura Bailey...but then again, I'm a huge fan of hers. :oops:

I'll admit I used to be one of the fans that had a quirked eyebrow at a female playing a full-grown male role, but I never had a problem with it for little boy roles. I mean, that's been around in voice-over since forever ago, and still continues today. Bobby Hill or Bart Simpson anyone?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:23 pm

dprez wrote:
I've always carried the theory that Toriyama wrote that line because he felt guilty for killing off Tanaka's character, and so he introduced a replacement character for her to voice during the interim.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:35 pm

Goku's voice suffers from a lot of non-Japanese viewers because they see him as adult Goku first, and get the conflict between seeing this big, buff guy and hearing Nozawa's voice. If you watched the series from the start, where her voice goes with chibi Goku fine, then it works much better.

Bart Simpson is a good comparison. No-one watched the Simpsons and thinks "why has Bart got a girls voice?" And then, when they do flash-forward episodes where Bart is grown-up, they still get Nacy Cartright to voice him because she is Bart's voice. Likewise, Nozawa is Goku's voice, so when he grew up it made sense to keep her.

Really, the dub also approached this backwards, by hiring people to act as the adult versions of the characters and then having to retroactively come up with children's voices. I do wonder if they ever tried to get Strait to do a young Kuririn, or Vale to do a young Trunks, or if they just went straight for the "Small Boy Must Be Played A Girl!" rule. At least Kuririn's young voice sounds vaguely like his adult voice...

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:03 pm

I wonder what'd happen if Dragon Ball came here first...

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:50 pm

Well, if we go back the early 90s (and 80s for that matter), no-one would watch it.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:25 pm

matt0044 wrote:I wonder what'd happen if Dragon Ball came here first...
If "here" means North America, then it did. The Harmony Gold dub aired in the late '80s, and the Funimation (Ocean) dub aired in 1995.

Interestingly, I think the fact that I was first introduced to Goku as a child allowed me to accept a female-voiced Goku later in Z.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:34 pm

LiamKav wrote:Well, if we go back the early 90s (and 80s for that matter), no-one would watch it.
It really depends from country to country, for e.g., in Europe - Dragon Ball aired in the 90's it was a success but when Dragon Ball Z got broadcast DB was defeated, though, they'd still air it.

People around Europe loved Dragon Ball GT since they grew up watching it and there wasn't any hatred towards as it is nowadays on the internet for it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:37 pm

Honestly, I don't have a problem with women voicing males as long as they sound enough like a male. The problem, however, is that, more often then not, they don't seem to manage to do that in the anime I've watched (the only exceptions to this that I've seen being Naruto from "Naruto" and Atem from "Yu-Gi-Oh").

And even though it's not QUITE as jarring with Krillin as it is with Nozawa's Goku (except when she's speaking really intensely, or doing SSJ4 Goku...then she actually sounds AWESOME), it still doesn't sound right given that he's a man. I mean, yes, we've got guys like Mike Tyson and the like, but, that doesn't make it sound any less weird.

EDIT: That being said though, Nozawa is definetly a terrific actor, no doubt about that...just miscast in my opinion.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:11 am

Fionordequester wrote:Honestly, I don't have a problem with women voicing males as long as they sound enough like a male. The problem, however, is that, more often then not, they don't seem to manage to do that in the anime I've watched (the only exceptions to this that I've seen being Naruto from "Naruto" and Atem from "Yu-Gi-Oh").
He was only voiced by a woman in the Toei series. In the Japanese version of "Duel Monsters" both Yugis were voiced by a man.
SSJToreto wrote:I only ever saw this being a problem to 8 year old boys, who end up meeting the VA for some reason and going "EEEEEwwww Trunks is a girrrl. COOTIES!" (this has a source btw lol)

I was guilty of this as well.

When I was a toddler... -___-
I remember once reading that the late Grace Stafford used to be worried about that if people knew she was Woody Woodpecker, and wanted to appear uncredited for awhile, but after she stopped worrying about it, enjoyed being recognized for it.

Though on topic, about what people are used to, can affect things. I remember watching the first ep of Digimon in Japanese and for me, it was wierd hearing all the high voices as in that version about all of the male digimon as well as all the boys except Joe and Matt were voiced by women, while the English version, Patamon/Tokomon was t only one voiced by a woman there. (This was before Brianne Siddal was cast as Koromon).