Why do people hate Dragon Ball GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Re: Why do people hate Dragon Ball GT?

Post by sumpter360 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:42 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:I don't like the fact, they changed Trunks' personality to be more like the polite Future Trunks instead of his bratty self in the Buu Arc.
This I don't get. Sure he's less of a bratty kid, but that's because he matured after 15 years. The traits are still there, regardless of if you want to see them or not. His sneaking out of work, running around like a fool trying to catch Pan or Gill, all that screams present Trunks to me. Kid at heart. He might be a little more mild mannered than he used to be, but I don't think his personality is really all that similar to Future Trunks', because honestly, even though Future Trunks is typically really polite with people, I can't imagine him putting up with half the shit present Trunks goes through in GT with his more serious personality...
If only it was Future Trunks instead, he would've forced Pan to be dropped back off on Earth, and the whole Black Star Dragon Ball arc would've been SO much more bearable.

More on topic, I enjoy Dragon Ball GT. Sure, the level of overall quality is nowhere near that of Z or Dragon Ball, but as it is more story in the DB Universe, I like it. What I don't like is when people say GT sucks and that it doesn't exist, just because it didn't originate in manga form (I know that isn't necesarily most of the people here, it's just something I hear a lot from others, outside of these forums).

What I enjoy about GT:
- Additional story for the DB Universe
- The music (original Japanese, of course)
- SS4. Yeah, I said it. I think Super Saiyan 4 is a nice change from the many blonde prior transformations and it's supremely badass, IMO.
- The last episode
- Nostalgia. GT was the first time I'd ever seen Dragon Ball with its original music. Coming from having only seen FUNi's TV Broadcast Dub, I discovered The International Channel, and it was showing a DB show, in Japanese (no subs) with really fun music, rather than rock and occasional awkward-scene music. This was when DBZ was still on Toonami, Fusion saga, I think, so GT wasn't available in the US yet. I was the coolest 4th grader, because I'd seen the sequel to DBZ... in which Goku was a kid... O.o :D

What I dislike about GT:
- Pan. No joke, she is probably my biggest beef with GT. Pan is so ridiculously annoying, particularly during the Black Star Dragon Ball arc. With all of the whining and complaining, just UGH.
- Inconsistent artwork. Some episodes of GT look just downright AWFUL.
- Drawn-out fights. Just a few; Particularly Super 17 and some of the Evil Dragons fights went longer than they needed to.
- Pan. (See above)

I think that about encapsulates my feelings surrounding Dragon Ball GT.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:38 am

I like GT. There are good reasons for most of the things people say were bad about it. Lots of the reasons are just opinions away.
The most used reason of all was Goku being a kid.
Honestly, who cares. Crazy things happen all the time in Dragonball, the Dragonballs can make wishes for almost anything, and lots probably liked seeing a child Goku again bringing back memories.
Anyways, I could probably give a good reason for anything someone could say. :lol:

Storm101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm101 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:55 am

-Outrageous power levels (Base Goku is comparable to Majin Buu? WHAT?!)

-Some characters were wasted, such as Uub, Adult Gotenks and Ultimate Gohan (or lack thereof)

-The characters have some kind of base form fetish where they don't transform into even SSJ1 when they're struggling

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:01 am

hulkty wrote:Lots of the reasons are just opinions away.
"Like" and "hate" are always opinions.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:59 am

sumpter360 wrote: - Inconsistent artwork. Some episodes of GT look just downright AWFUL.
- Drawn-out fights. Just a few; Particularly Super 17 and some of the Evil Dragons fights went longer than they needed to.
I'm not going to refute all the complaints people have, because most are valid and it's really your own prerogative. But please tell me that if you're levying these against GT, you feel the same way about the other two series.

Also, a supportive second for Trunks being perfectly in-character in GT. He's totally believable for a grown-up version of the Boo arc Trunks saddled with responsibility. He's more polite and soft-spoken, sure, but people seem to forget that the first time we see him he's flying out of meetings and whining at Vegeta.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:16 am

Cipher wrote:
sumpter360 wrote: - Inconsistent artwork. Some episodes of GT look just downright AWFUL.
I'm not going to refute all the complaints people have, because most are valid and it's really your own prerogative. But please tell me that if you're levying these against GT, you feel the same way about the other two series.

Also, a supportive second for Trunks being perfectly in-character in GT. He's totally believable for a grown-up version of the Boo arc Trunks saddled with responsibility. He's more polite and soft-spoken, sure, but people seem to forget that the first time we see him he's flying out of meetings and whining at Vegeta.
Oh definitely, I count those against Z as well (can't say the same for DB, as I haven't seen it all the way through). I'm just saying they certainly don't help GT's case.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:32 am

I don't like GT, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I HATE it. It mostly... when I was a kid, GT was like, that far off thing. We knew it existed because it was coming out in Japan and Mexico first, and I had a friend from Mexico who remembered seeing it, but we didn't have it in America. Not even Telemundo was showing repeats of it yet because it was so new in Mexico that they couldn't afford it. It was so elusive that whenever something new happened, we would perk up and go "Is this the elusive GT?!" Like, I originally thought the Artificial Human arc was the beginning of GT.

Then when the mystical GT finally did happen, I saw it in old school fansubs. We were past the VHS stage but not quite at the Bittorent stage. So we had CDRs that were put together the old school way and then encoded onto CDs. And I remember being disappointed. So much so that I had access to all my Cousin's CDRs with them on it, but I stopped before the end of the Super 17 arc. This was me, as a kid. Without all the analytic critical thinking that I have right now. And I was so disappointed I didn't even bother to finish it. I went back later and watched the rest, but it wasn't because I Was genuinely interested, it was because I Realized i'd never seen the rest and that I just should so I could get it under my belt.

I think it was the fact that most of the ideas started out really great and then ended up being rather poorly executed. Like, Son becoming a kid. Cool idea for one Arc, but why did they never fix that? Why did Super Saiyan 4 magically make him an adult and then magically go back to being a kid again? If Being SS4 made him an adult again, why didn't he just work to make SS4 his base form the way he did to SS1 for the Cell games or something? There's just a lot of ridiculousness. I don't think Trunks went very OOC but other characters certainly did. It didn't really pick back up at all until the Evil Dragons arc and even that was rather lackluster.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:20 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Semi-recent 10-page thread with lots of additional answers (including my own):

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=19949
Which brings one question in da house! When will be the next review of GT awesomenes, sir?
I can't wait longer :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:36 pm

I never liked GT that much since the show had a poor story, plot holes and awful comic relief characters. Most of the characters in the show where annoying in my opinion and I find them worst then most of the comic relief in The Phantom Menace. I hated the Para Para Brothers, they are probably the worst characters in the series. I feel like they where created just to be annoying and stupid.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:54 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I never liked GT that much since the show had a poor story, plot holes and awful comic relief characters. Most of the characters in the show where annoying in my opinion and I find them worst then most of the comic relief in The Phantom Menace. I hated the Para Para Brothers, they are probably the worst characters in the series. I feel like they where created just to be annoying and stupid.
I didn't mind that, it was somewhat like going back to the classic Dragon Ball. Only character I hate is Pan. She is so much annoying as she is useless by my opinion.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:15 pm

That's another problem that GT had as well in my opinion. It was trying too hard to be like the original Dragon Ball when it came to it's humor. Then they thought "This is not working out well then let's try to make the show more like DBZ" when they started with the Bebi saga. The Bebi Saga was not too bad, but I feel like they could have made Ubb last longer. I feel like they made him lose so quickly in order to have Goku become a SSj4 as fast as possible.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/