Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:00 am

kei17 wrote:According to Minaguchi's blog, she recently came back to Japan and stayed for six days for her work. I guess they recorded Videl's lines in this movie and the Buu arc of Kai.

http://s.ameblo.jp/minaguchi/entry-11426156938.html
Nice to hear she'll most likely be voicing Videl after all.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:46 am

Chuquita wrote:MCDaveG, thank you so much!

I know a separate thread was made for Gohan's hair when that came up in this thread a while back, I feel like someone will definitely make a thread in the In Universe section especially for movie-related power debates soon too.

The trailer itself is a nice puzzle to try and pull apart while I wait for the Jump Festa panel.
Little things I didn't notice before:
-The gem at the top of Uisu's staff isn't connected to the staff, but floats above it.
-The shade of green Piccolo is in this matches the shade movie-tie-in Pilaf-toy's skin is.
-This party does not take place on the lookout. When Gohan leaps into action there are buildings behind him that match those seen in DB's cities.
-Starting to suspect that huge attack Virus throws at Goku is his version of a ball of ki; I feel like Freeza's looked like that in Episode of Bardock, but I'll have to check. EDIT: Checked, really similar, only Freeza's was yellow, but the special effect texture is the same.
Yeah, I was kinda surprised with this floating stuff before, becausse of Uisu's collar, which I thought is like cylinder and not like this floating rim seen in trailer.
Well, I'm really curious why is Goku on Kaio's planet and doubt that they will party on that tree island.
But I suspect that this tree is located somewhere in the God realm like Hell and Kaios' and Kaioshin's planets are located.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:23 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Also! Anyone notice that Gotenks has the ssj3-ish 'you can see his pupils and irises' thing going on in that one shot? Is that just an animation error or?
It was just a short trailer. I doubt it's an animation error. He could be powering up, for all we know.
sangofe wrote:Mods, if you've got a problem with this torrent, remove it. here's the trailer, subbed in English, using Kanzenshuu's translation: http://www.a piracy website.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=382878#c195762
Why torrent? I have always had a problem with torrent. Why not YouTube?
Because I can. Actually, it's to preserve quality, and I don't know how to add all the typesetting and the softsubs to youtube.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:19 am

I would not like them to disregard GT. It exists and should be dealt with. Just because people hate it doesn't mean it should be ignored. I treat GT as the final climax of the entire Dragon Ball story and it's ok if others don't. That's just my view on this. But creating a new story now officially and simply tossing GT into the trashcan and "overwriting" it would be harsh for me.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:24 am

But, see, isn't that the thing? What's wrong if they branch off in two different directions? As in, the TV series decided to go off in one direction, with GT, and what if the manga continuity, let's say, decided to go in a different direction? That's not overwriting GT. It's just doing something different.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:25 am

I have no problem with anything you just said and also agree.

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:But, see, isn't that the thing? What's wrong if they branch off in two different directions? As in, the TV series decided to go off in one direction, with GT, and what if the manga continuity, let's say, decided to go in a different direction? That's not overwriting GT. It's just doing something different.
One is an oft-ignored continuation made by the studio that animated it, the other would be an official continuation from the original author. Now the question is, with these two divergent paths, which one will be given more credit? The answer, to me, is obvious.

I have a hard time seeing the two timelines coexist in anything outside of fandom. Official sources tend to take any excuse they can to ignore GT; this would just be the nail in the coffin. The most exposure I see it getting is as it has been for years... the characters appearing in video games. Taking up slots. Nothing more, nothing less.

And the continuation of the manga keeps being mentioned. Is there anything to that or is it just speculation? Only reason I ask is because it seems to be off-topic if not.

Oh and, err... my face when Gogeta is mentioned with regard to this movie:

Last edited by Thanos on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:But, see, isn't that the thing? What's wrong if they branch off in two different directions? As in, the TV series decided to go off in one direction, with GT, and what if the manga continuity, let's say, decided to go in a different direction? That's not overwriting GT. It's just doing something different.
The manga already has DBO instead of GT. And while I like GT, I don't have any problem with that.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:11 pm

I don't like GT but I don't want a new Dragon Ball series to 'override' it. I'm pretty sure if a new series is being made, it's going to be based on DBO. I don't like DBO's story whatsoever and it's clearly made to tailor a video game. A new series would be interesting if Goku dies in the first few episodes though, like in Z, otherwise I'm positive we'll just get another Kid Buu arc/GT all over again. But overall I'd prefer if they just left the story alone.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:13 pm

kei17 wrote:According to Minaguchi's blog, she recently came back to Japan and stayed for six days for her work. I guess they recorded Videl's lines in this movie and the Buu arc of Kai.

http://s.ameblo.jp/minaguchi/entry-11426156938.html
Phew. I'm glad to see that they aren't recasting (or at least, appear not to be).
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:49 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:I would not like them to disregard GT. It exists and should be dealt with. Just because people hate it doesn't mean it should be ignored.
I don't see why not? That's how fans are with Highlander 2 since that movie is not view as canon to that franchise. Simply tossing GT into the trashcan is what most fans want. It's like saying that the Nolan Batman movies shouldn't have ignore Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:57 pm

It's entirely possible to have two concurrent continuations of the franchise. GT's certainly receiving more attention now than it has in years, to say nothing of how much more attention it receives than Online.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Yes GT has it's fair share of plot holes, but do you think they will do things in this movie to try and tie elements of GT better together? At least the earlier stuff?
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:09 pm

I've been posting on DB forums for over a decade and nearly every fan that I remember talking to hated GT. I remember on the Game Faqs forums from 2002 - 2006 would have people even flame you for liking GT. GT was a failure and trying to forget that it exist is a good thing if you ask me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:20 pm

That's a very harsh way of seeing it imo. It's like saying we need to ban all books talking about WWII because it was so catastrophically horrible.
Yes, while I do like GT a lot, I have no problem pointing out that it has many unnecessary flaws. But that fact still doesn't deter me from liking it nonetheless.

I guess it depends on how much you allow yourself to be sucked into the seriousness of it all.
And yes I do hope they try to explain why Gohan went SSJ again to finally have the clarification needed to end all the speculation.

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:25 pm

I think a movie based after GT would be awesome, to be honest. It can appease all the people who who issue with Goku receiving so much face time and it could actually go in any direction it wants. I accept GT in my own personal canon, so when I see a bunch of SSJ3's running around it really means nothing to me when I accept SSJ4.

I think a little special would be awesome if not a full blown movie.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanos wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote: I have a hard time seeing the two timelines coexist in anything outside of fandom. Official sources tend to take any excuse they can to ignore GT; this would just be the nail in the coffin. The most exposure I see it getting is as it has been for years... the characters appearing in video games.
I never really understood this point. Where else do you expect them to appear? I'm pretty sure there are toys of GT characters. If I recall the Perfect Files were re-released in '06. It's not as if the entire world ignores GT. It's just that Toei does, because when you think about it, with the things they do, they have no reason to even bring up GT. Why would GT have to be mentioned in anything that takes place before it?

And for the love of God, can we please, please, please stop saying that Dragon Ball Online is the official sequel to Akira Toriyama's original manga? Because it fucking isn't. It's heavily based on the manga in the same vein Super Dragon Ball Z is and no more. Dragon Ball Online gets "less exposure" than GT, because everything in Dragon Ball Online only appears in Dragon Ball Online. At least GT gets manga exposure via the Victory Mission manga.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:31 pm

I wonder if we will get a tie-in manga chapter by Toriyama, like One Piece & Naruto got.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

HECTOR4
Regular

Post by HECTOR4 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:37 pm

NeoKING wrote:And for the love of God, can we please, please, please stop saying that Dragon Ball Online is the official sequel to Akira Toriyama's original manga? Because it fucking isn't. It's heavily based on the manga in the same vein Super Dragon Ball Z is and no more. Dragon Ball Online gets "less exposure" than GT, because everything in Dragon Ball Online only appears in Dragon Ball Online. At least GT gets manga exposure via the Victory Mission manga.
It was what Toriyama said, DBO continued to manga. And if a story continues from another story, are the same story, logically. Officially DBO and DB manga are the same story. And DB (manga) and DB (anime, including DB, DBZ and DBGT) aren´t the same story, have tangible differences between them.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:42 pm

NeoKING wrote:And for the love of God, can we please, please, please stop saying that Dragon Ball Online is the official sequel to Akira Toriyama's original manga? Because it fucking isn't. It's heavily based on the manga in the same vein Super Dragon Ball Z is and no more. Dragon Ball Online gets "less exposure" than GT, because everything in Dragon Ball Online only appears in Dragon Ball Online. At least GT gets manga exposure via the Victory Mission manga.
But it really is the official sequel of the manga. It ignores the anime, it takes place after the manga, and it's an official Dragon Ball product. You can put it outside of your personal canon, no one will stop you or any other, but still it is what it is. It really is what GT is to the anime. GT has elements from filler & movies, it takes place after DBZ, and it is an official Dragon Ball product.