Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by penguintruth » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:47 am

I'm hoping it's a horribly insignificant character.

Like Mr. Popo.

Or Gohan.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Karasai
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Karasai » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:58 am

Chuquita wrote:Also Uisu being called a puzzling or mystery man.
Calling it now, Uisu is the main villain.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:08 am

And while Goku is off wasting time fighting the less important Birusu, Gohan is fighting the real villain and saving the day. :D

Oh, how I hope.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:12 am

It's Future Trunks guys, you can't just make a character that epic and scrap him later.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Karasai
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Karasai » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:51 am

Future Trunks is too busy defending his timeline from the Mutant Crab People

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:07 am

OK, so from the bios on the promotional image:

Bilus
A god who governs destruction, maintaining the world's balance. Once his wraith is incurred, he'll destroy nearby planets and life, and is a being feared even by Kaio and Kaioshin.
[So there you have it. Bilus: officially as scary as Yakon.]

Whis
A mysterious man working in league with Bilus.

Pilaf, Shu, Mai
Small-time villains who plot to use the dragon balls to take over the world, but their plans are thwarted by Goku and co.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:11 am

Herms wrote:Pilaf, Shu, Mai
Small-time villains who plot to use the dragon balls to take over the world, but their plans are thwarted by Goku and co.
I suppose they mean that literally in this movie, huh? =P
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:32 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Herms wrote:Pilaf, Shu, Mai
I suppose they mean that literally in this movie, huh? =P

It really says small-time? That's fantastic. :lol:
I always enjoy it when the character-bio writer does stuff like that.

Thank you for the translations, Herms!

So going by that summary, it's possible Uisu might be the bigger threat? Or at least the one pulling strings? Or maybe they're holding back detail for Birusu's powers since there's not much room to type? Lots more questions.

I'm still hoping Jump Festa will at least have some kind of chunk of interesting new info.

Also, I just finished listening to the in-depth OPPodcast's Film Z review/walkthrough (which was amazing) will Kanzenshuu be doing a similar podcast-feature with BOG (with Julian as Greg?) Or would it be too spoilery of an episode? I for one enjoy spoilers.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:55 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Curious about the final spot.

It must be fairly significant if they're still keeping it under wraps, and I'm guessing it's something we haven't seen yet. I'm thinking something along the lines of the God of Creation.
I bet Whis (or however you spell his name) is the main villain too who has tricked Bilus somehwo and the hidden figure is Whis' transformation into the REAL villain.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:03 am

Also leaning towards the theory of Uisu being the hidden main villain. Maybe he needs Birusu to destroy the North Galaxy so that Uisu can create something else in its place?
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:15 am

Herms wrote: Bilus
A god who governs destruction, maintaining the world's balance. Once his wraith is incurred, he'll destroy nearby planets and life, and is a being feared even by Kaio and Kaioshin.

Really, who doesn't have those pussies in the higher cosmos shook? I bet they were scared of even Freeza until they heard Goku put the beats on him; then they were able to play it off as, "Oh yeah, we could've beat Freeza whenever we felt like it, he was just a no-name though ... Phew, boy did we dodge a bullet."

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:17 am

Can we get a high quality picture of that flyer WITHOUT Saiyan Island written all over it?
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:22 am

Avenged wrote:Can we get a high quality picture of that flyer WITHOUT Saiyan Island written all over it?
Here you go. :)
Chuquita wrote:There's a clean scan of the flyer on (I think Kei17's?) twitter: http://i.imgur.com/7Vpd9.jpg
Saiyan Island really bothers me for some reason. :? I swear half of their news updates are re-worded posts from Kanzenshuu.
Herms wrote:Bilus

*Breathes heavy sigh of relief
Chuquita wrote:Also, I just finished listening to the in-depth OPPodcast's Film Z review/walkthrough (which was amazing) will Kanzenshuu be doing a similar podcast-feature with BOG (with Julian as Greg?) Or would it be too spoilery of an episode? I for one enjoy spoilers.

I think Mike mentioned that they would be doing something like this. I'm hoping for a live stream personally. :P

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:39 am

A live stream would be awesome. X3

Here's the other side of the flyer!
Looks like all the text on the other side is stuff that's been posted on the movie's official website already, from the manga's summary to Toriyama's note and the advertisement for those pen-point balls.
Still a nice little ad though.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:18 am

sailorspazz wrote: Kind of a nitpicky thing, but I hope that the Jump Festa panel will reveal the sources of Birusu and Uisu's name puns. I need to know what the preferred spellings will be, dammit, rather than continuing with the straight romanizations!
Yeah, the name thing is kinda driving me crazy. That's something I'd really like to know!
Chuquita wrote: Also, I just finished listening to the in-depth OPPodcast's Film Z review/walkthrough (which was amazing) will Kanzenshuu be doing a similar podcast-feature with BOG (with Julian as Greg?) Or would it be too spoilery of an episode? I for one enjoy spoilers.
I surprised myself by actually skipping the spoiler section of Greg's review. Thought I didn't really care about spoilers, but once I got to it I suddenly felt like, "No! I want some surprise whenever I finally get to see the movie!!" and skipped over it. Guess I'm so excited about the movie that I don't want to feel like I'm just going through the motions when I finally see it. I'll just redownload the podcast later to hear Greg's thoughts after I see the film. I know that by the time OP Film Z hits my eyes I'll probably have picked up more plot details here an there, but I don't want a full walk-through of the movie...

If Kanzenshuu does a similar thing, I guess I'll just do the same. Save the episode for a later date, whenever I'm fortunate enough to see the movie! Boy, waiting's gonna be tough!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:19 am

Thanks a lot for the bigger version of the poster. I see now that Piccolo isn'r smirking like I was led to believe from the LQ versions of the poster.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:43 am

I do like how Bilus is shitting on Goku's life. Even at SSJ3, a form so strong that it can only properly be used in cosmic dimensions, Bilus could son Goku like he's Yamcha.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:42 am

Of the last 18 dragonball features to have theatrical showings each one had a movie pamphlet distributed at the showings. I wonder if this simple pamphlet is the same one they'll give out upon release, or if they will come out with a more in depth one. I believe the pamphlet for the JSAT special was a similar folded single-page, but there's a lot more info to pack into this one, hopefully it's substantially larger.

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:26 am

Herms wrote:OK, so from the bios on the promotional image:

Bilus

Whis
A mysterious man working in league with Bilus.

Pilaf, Shu, Mai

Anything new about the other characters?

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:It's both. Goku outright states that he'll be training Uub to be his successor in protecting the Earth in the manga, but his friends know he just wants another high caliber fight and Goku himself even says that he's been waiting years for this and asks Uub to fight him once his training is complete.

Of course, probably, he didn't read your response.
Last edited by Titan on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:57 am

Chuquita wrote:Maybe he needs Birusu to destroy the North Galaxy so that Uisu can create something else in its place?
That's what I think too.
In the trailer, there is Whis asking Birus "could you destroy the Earth, please?" or something like that, in a manner that seems to mean "that would be handy if you did that for me so that I can do what I have to do".
And there's that shot of Birus saying "Before creation comes destruction" if I'm not mistaken, implying that need to destroy the Earth - or the Galaxy according to Picoclo - to create something new instead.