Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 am

JeffJarrett wrote:
mistershin wrote:Uub is strongest human, just saiyan!
Yeah, it already seems unbelievable Krillin being stronger than Tenshinhan, he can't be stronger than Uub as well ;)

Also, it's Koyama who initially said that Krillin is the strongest human and, except in The Tree of Might, Koyama never uses Tenshinhan, Yamcha, or Chiaotzu in his stories. He must have forgotten them at some point in his career.
I stubbornly believe Tenshinhan surpassed Kuririn yet again by the Majin Boo Saga.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:27 am

CaBrPi wrote:Ten also lacked the advantage of having his dormant powers released by the Grand Elder.
This.

Ok, in raw Ki Damage, Ten Shin Han has his Kikoho that can actually keep stronger enemies at bay until his life force is consumed. But overall, I believe that overall Krillin might hold his own longer without requiring such techniques.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:37 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
JeffJarrett wrote:
Yeah, it already seems unbelievable Krillin being stronger than Tenshinhan, he can't be stronger than Uub as well ;)

Also, it's Koyama who initially said that Krillin is the strongest human and, except in The Tree of Might, Koyama never uses Tenshinhan, Yamcha, or Chiaotzu in his stories. He must have forgotten them at some point in his career.
I stubbornly believe Tenshinhan surpassed Kuririn yet again by the Majin Boo Saga.
Agreed.

I admit I can't really place what it is--but just the way Tenshinhan is... so stoic and zen, obscenely muscular. Would've really fucked Cell and Buu up if they hadn't been capable of regeneration.

...And then there's Kuririn. :?

I honestly feel like the only reason Kuririn is "officially" stronger than Tenshinhan is because he's more of a prominent character. Think about it, when Tenshinhan was at the forefront back in Dragon Ball, Kuririn couldn't hold a candle compared to him.

Yes, I understand Saichoro "unlocked his dormant power"... but did it really do that much? I would say no. At no point was there a noticeable jump in his power. He would still get his ass kicked by Freeza's henchmen or Vegeta.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Is Gohan an Earthling or a Saiyajin?

Let's see what happens in this movie regarding both characters. It can be very interesting.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:11 pm

Do we really know that Tenshinhan was training very hard after Cell arc? I mean, both Kuririn & Yamcha were as much motivated to get stronger as much Tenshinhan was before, but they both gave up after Cell arc, when they faced the truth that they will never surpass the Saiyans & Piccolo. True, we did saw him with Chaozu at the mountains or somewhere in Boo arc, but we have absolutely no idea how hard was he training. And don't forget that Kuririn, unlike the other Earthlings, had released his dormant power.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:15 pm

In regards to the 'Kuririn is the strongest human' thing, I've always thought that he just had more potential that eventually allowed him to pull ahead of Tenshinhan during their training for the Saiyans. (Though I still wonder how any of them got that strong training with Kami, considering that was the training that only prepared Goku for Piccolo's return, rather than anything as strong as the Saiyans...but that's a whole other thing.) Then when he got his potential further unleashed by the Elder, he just pulled farther ahead than Tenshinhan, who never quite managed to catch up - ...until the Boo material that is.

By the time of the Boo material, due to Ten's constant training compared to Kuririn's easier going lifestyle, I'd like to think that Tenshinhan has probably closed the gap a LOT better than he would have otherwise, and that even if Kuririn technically still has more power, Ten would have the edge in skill since he's kept up his training. So he'd probably win in a fight between them if he didn't let it go on too long.

Now, bringing Oob into the equation...assuming Kuririn didn't taunt Oob like Goku did at the tournament, he could probably take the kid down easily at the point we see Oob in the tournament. Though Oob would probably just keep getting back up and Kuririn would eventually wear himself out (kind of like his training Goten in the training mode in Budokai 2). But a properly trained Oob, like we see...or rather, should have seen, in GT? Kuririn would only be that much more out of practice and aged by that point, and Oob would have grown far more capable of controlling his powers, so it wouldn't even be a fair match.

That said, could Oob even be considered a 'thoroughbred' human, given his origins and all? So Kuririn probably still counts as the 'strongest human'.

/powerdiscussion, dat 'Battle of Gods' is gonna be awesome, etc. etc.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:32 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:In regards to the 'Kuririn is the strongest human' thing, I've always thought that he just had more potential that eventually allowed him to pull ahead of Tenshinhan during their training for the Saiyans.
How is that? If it is stated everywhere that Tenshinhan was stronger than Kuririn at that point.
Kame Sennin also said that Tenshinhan was a lot more talented than Kuririn or Yamcha.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:35 pm

Titan wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:In regards to the 'Kuririn is the strongest human' thing, I've always thought that he just had more potential that eventually allowed him to pull ahead of Tenshinhan during their training for the Saiyans.
How is that? If it is stated everywhere that Tenshinhan was stronger than Kuririn at that point.
Kame Sennin also said that Tenshinhan was a lot more talented than Kuririn or Yamcha.
I don't really follow the stated strengths outside of the obvious, so that part is just my own personal assumption, that's all.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

That_Saiya-Jin_Guy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by That_Saiya-Jin_Guy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:41 pm

I always figured Tenshinhan was stronger than Kuririn, I mean Tenshinhan was able to hold his own against a Cell Jr.

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:16 pm

But he is the re-incarnation of Boo.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Oob doesn't count, since he wasn't introduced at that point.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:18 pm

That_Saiya-Jin_Guy wrote:I always figured Tenshinhan was stronger than Kuririn, I mean Tenshinhan was able to hold his own against a Cell Jr.
Then that would mean Yamcha is also stronger than Krillin.

Also, that was filler.

That_Saiya-Jin_Guy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by That_Saiya-Jin_Guy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:26 pm

sonikku956 wrote:
That_Saiya-Jin_Guy wrote:I always figured Tenshinhan was stronger than Kuririn, I mean Tenshinhan was able to hold his own against a Cell Jr.
Then that would mean Yamcha is also stronger than Krillin.

Also, that was filler.

Ah you're right. Hmmm i guess we'll never really know unless Akira actually comes out ans says who is stronger. Wouldn't Uub count though? I know he's a reincarnation but he's still human.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:34 pm

That_Saiya-Jin_Guy wrote:Ah you're right. Hmmm i guess we'll never really know unless Akira actually comes out ans says who is stronger. Wouldn't Uub count though? I know he's a reincarnation but he's still human.
That's just it though, there is a quote floating around from Toriyama that I believe is legit, saying that Kuririn is the strongest. All of my hypothesizing on Tenshinhan passing him by eventually was just hyperbole on my part really.

And Uub is human, but I'd say he counts as a special case. He has an unfair advantage over any other human in terms of potential.
Twitter

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:51 pm

I always got the impression that had toriyama continued the series himseld then uub would have become the strongest human. And I think, because he likes to do thr unexpected thing.... he probably would have had uub surpass goku evenn... like goku would still be the smarter fighter and give him advice and stuff but uub would probably end up defeating whatever next villain ahowed up because he would be thr only one strong enough but only with gokus help could he do it. Thats what I imaginr would have happener but I guess well never know.

Hey remember when this thread was about the new movie? Lol.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:36 pm

If Toriyama had continued the series, Uub probably wouldn't have been introduced at all.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Anyone think we'll get any tie-in Toriyama artwork? I feel like with Toriyama it'd be a bit much to expect a tie-in manga chapter, but I think a standalone colorspread used as an ad in Jump would be nice.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:57 pm

I'm hoping against hope we'll get a tie-in chapter, but if we do it may be by one of the newer artists instead of Toriyama sadly, which would ruin part of the appeal. A color spread would be nice though, and would make an awesome wallpaper.
Twitter

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm foreseeing some new Toriyama art in 2013. A new comic, even a one-shot, seems unlikely but we can hope! However, I think a poster or color spread for the movie is much more likely. Plus maybe new covers for the color volumes and/or the Chozenshuu? And also quite likely a poster for the art exhibit! I'm cautiously hopeful!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:42 pm

I won't be surprised with manga adaptation by Oishi..... I don't believe in anything DB from Toriyama after the years. Hell, they even hired fan artist for adaptations.
BTW. is Trunks' Story in the manga drawn by Toriyama??
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88