Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by penguintruth » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:24 am

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:I read one of the comments that they might use the original Z dub cast as opposed to the Kai cast.
What does that even mean? Most of the Kai cast is the same.

But if I ever hear Tiffany Vollmer or Stephanie Naldony (though younger Gohan wouldn't be in this movie) in a DBZ dub again, I'm taking a plane to Fort Worth and do some ass kicking. (Probably get turned away at the door of Funi HQ and beaten by security guards with batons in the parking lot as Sean Schemmel looks on and laughs, but hey, it's the thought that counts!)

"dragonballzexperts" Right. If these people were "DBZ experts" they'd know how shitty the DBZ dub was, anyway.
Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:27 am

*Goes to read*
Q7: Why is Kaiō’s planet so small?

A: The fact is, it was destroyed by the God of Destruction!!
It used to be so big that its diameter was about 100 times that of Kaiō’s current planet. Apart from the size it was completely the same as it is now, with nothing but grassy fields and roads. Kaiō-sama enjoyed his hobby, driving, but then one day Birusu, the God of Destruction, stopped by and they played a video game together (it was a car racing one). Birusu lost, and so the planet was destroyed by the peeved God of Destruction. Kaiō then took a large leftover fragment, whittled it down to a sphere, and built a road on it so that he could have fun driving there. This became Kaiō’s current planet.
Source: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/02/23/dr ... ranslated/

It was destroyed over a video game. The absurdity of it put such a smile on my face. :mrgreen:

So Kaio-sama and Birusu have a history together as well.
Last edited by Chuquita on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:27 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:29 am

So, Birusu and Kaiou are video game buddies. I hope this is mentioned in the film.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:32 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:33 am

I'm now hoping fanart of them having a video game party together shows up somewhere. X3
Bubbles can bring the chips 'n dip and Uisu'll bake a casserole or something.
Oracle Fish gets to referee, I dunno.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:25 am

Wow, major props for them putting that new piece of info in. Typical Toriyama foolishness albeit on an intergalactic scale. Though, it's anyone's guess as to whether that counts as black humor - he did blow up an entire planet.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:32 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Chuquita wrote:*Goes to read*

It used to be so big that its diameter was about 100 times that of Kaiō’s current planet. Apart from the size it was completely the same as it is now, with nothing but grassy fields and roads. Kaiō-sama enjoyed his hobby, driving, but then one day Birusu, the God of Destruction, stopped by and they played a video game together (it was a car racing one). Birusu lost, and so the planet was destroyed by the peeved God of Destruction. Kaiō then took a large leftover fragment, whittled it down to a sphere, and built a road on it so that he could have fun driving there. This became Kaiō’s current planet.

It was destroyed over a video game. The absurdity of it put such a smile on my face. :mrgreen:

Fun read. Sounds like Birusu is a sore loser. Haha.
Funny thing is Birsu created Kaio's planet and eventually self-destructed by Semi-Perfect Cell years later causing a release of Bojack and co.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:27 am

I find it strange how characters like Kaio-sama always act like the current enemy of the week is unfathomably powerful and extremely dangerous, when they already know about guys that make those guys look like nothing -_-

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:37 am

Toriyama is a genius! :P I also love how he's placing the film in the history of Dragon Ball. :)
Saiga wrote:Then again, it wasn't Akira Toriyama that came up with the name.
I think if Toriyama didn't like it he would've said something about it and had it changed. I for one like it, it explains that he's a type of God and a Super Saiyan, and by using "God" it kinda seems like there isn't much higher, if anything. It seems like I'm the only person who likes it though. :lol:

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 am

A couple things that have to do with the last few posts:

- I love the backstory Toriyama came up with for his planet. Just like something out of the old manga!

- Just because Toriyama did not come up with something completely on his own doesn't mean it isn't still his creation. After all, without other people's input, we wouldn't have gotten a Perfect Cell or the other androids, etc. etc.

- Kaio-sama may know of guys who are much stronger than Frieza or Cell, but maybe Birusu is not inherently a bad guy. He is a God after all, just one that unfortunately destroys things haha. He isn't an unstoppable force per se that may destroy the whole universe, it is his job to destroy.

- I am wondering still if Toriyama forgot that Kaio-sama's planet was destroyed during the Cell arc. lol. (and that Gohan thing too yeahhh)

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:15 am

bleed0range wrote:- I am wondering still if Toriyama forgot that Kaio-sama's planet was destroyed during the Cell arc. lol. (and that Gohan thing too yeahhh)
I don't think he forgot- Kaio has his halo in the latest trailer. I think the whole "creation" thing is gonna tie in here.

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

Post by cloud1414 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:06 am

Never mind this post I corrected myself after the fact mods please delete.
Last edited by cloud1414 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:08 am

I go with the theory that he simply had a new planet built.

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:35 am

bleed0range wrote:A couple things that have to do with the last few posts:

- I love the backstory Toriyama came up with for his planet. Just like something out of the old manga!

- Just because Toriyama did not come up with something completely on his own doesn't mean it isn't still his creation. After all, without other people's input, we wouldn't have gotten a Perfect Cell or the other androids, etc. etc.

- Kaio-sama may know of guys who are much stronger than Freeza or Cell, but maybe Birusu is not inherently a bad guy. He is a God after all, just one that unfortunately destroys things haha. He isn't an unstoppable force per se that may destroy the whole universe, it is his job to destroy.
I completely agree with this. :)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:57 am

bleed0range wrote:Just because Toriyama did not come up with something completely on his own doesn't mean it isn't still his creation. After all, without other people's input, we wouldn't have gotten a Perfect Cell or the other androids, etc. etc.
He didn't come up with it at all, though. He was approached with the name already decided upon. Saying they could change it if he didn't approve doesn't change anything either - he didn't come up with it.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:48 am

Yeah it definitely isn't his creation the only thing he did was draw the design, but I do think that even the best writers need helpful suggestions like this one. He could have turned it down if he didn't like it though because it was just a "suggestion".

fogdark
Beyond Newbie

Post by fogdark » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:08 am

I still have a smile on my face after reading why Kaio-sama's planet is so small. Now I can see why he likes driving so much. Back then, it actually was a worthwhile hobby :lol:
Still, from just this, I can imagine how Birusu will react to the Super Saiyan God. He won't be a happy cat, I'm sure...
Last edited by fogdark on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, Goku visited me once. He turned to me while I was still speechless, and said, "You've drank too much"...

My Teepublic Store
My Redbubble Store

Naughty Kinto Un
Beyond Newbie

Post by Naughty Kinto Un » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:30 am

I think people are making a lot of assumptions about the control or care that Toriyama possesses for the project. The conversation over SSG could've very easily went like this:

TOEI: "All right, so what are we doing for the next Super Saiya-jin upgrade?"

TORI: "...Mm, I dunno, do we really need another one?"

TOEI: "Well, if we want this movie to make money, yeah. Think of the box office, the merchandise, etc. ..."

TORI: "Sold."

Super Saiya-jin God could be great but it kind of screams "let's make new toys!" more than genuine creative inspiration.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:36 am

It better looking fucking cool I want to buy some fucking toys