Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:46 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
shonenhikada wrote:Are we supposed to believe everything a character says?
Yes? Unless if a statement is contradicted, them it's most likely true.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:48 am

kei17 wrote:Someone on 2ch pointed out that Birusu and Uisu are puns for these:

*images+

Hill's is spelled ヒルズ (Hiruzu) in Japanese, so it becomes ビルス (Birusu) if you move the ゛ mark, and whiskas is spelled ウィスカス (Uisukasu/Wisukasu).
Wow, so I guess to get that first one across in English, you would only use one L in "Bils", as both "Bills" and "Beers" imply a Z-sound at the end. Figuring out what to call these people is in itself another experience separate from the movie!

As for the storyboard scenes of there being more fighting from the Z Fighters, outside of the novelty of having them, it's not going to make much of a difference. The humans stopped hacking it around the Androids and Piccolo during Buu. The power scale in DB is insane and I don't think Gohan getting knocked out in a few hits completely dismisses him as a fighter or character. It's not as "humiliating" as some make it seem.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:09 pm

So it's definitely a pun on those two cat food brands?

If so, gonna miss calling him "Beers". Back to Birusu then.

Also! BOG now has its own Pixiv page: http://www.pixiv.net/tags.php?tag=%E7%A ... 8%E7%A5%9E
(Or maybe it's been there a while and I haven't noticed? Either way I'm happy it's there).
Last edited by Chuquita on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Darn, I was starting to like his official English name being 'Beers'. Ah well.
Chuquita wrote:Also! BOG now has its own Pixiv page: http://www.pixiv.net/tags.php?tag=%E7%A ... 8%E7%A5%9E
(Or maybe it's been there a while and I haven't noticed? Either way I'm happy it's there).
And of course there's a Broly mock-up of the movie poster, because why not. :lol: Loving that and the art I saw of Bils' as Karin.
Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:24 pm

Chuquita wrote:So it's definitely a pun on those two cat food brands?

Also! BOG now has its own Pixiv page: http://www.pixiv.net/tags.php?tag=%E7%A ... 8%E7%A5%9E

This artist here, I feel like I've seen him draw AF stuff posted on these forums before? : http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php? ... d=34416935
Can you not link my pixiv profile please.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:29 pm

kei17 wrote:
coola wrote:I just watched that trailer, with Bills vs everyone, and I'm sorry, but i don`t get it, what was the point of include Z-Warriors, only for them to be one-hit K.O? I don`t know why, but i found it very sad, that Toei keeps trashing everyone, who isn`t Goku.
According to a 2ch thread, the new guide book says that there originally were many fight scenes of other Z warriors in Toriyama's script, but with all of them, the movie would be 120 minutes long, so they cut most of them. The scenes were even included on the storyboard, but they were never animated.
Well, crap....that would have been awesome.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:33 pm

shonenhikada wrote:
Chuquita wrote:So it's definitely a pun on those two cat food brands?

Can you not link my pixiv profile please.
Not a problem, I edited my post. I can't edit others' posts though so you'll have to contact them.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:34 pm

If you've publicly posted something for free with the intention of it being seen, I don't see how you suddenly get to decide who and how it gets linked or referenced after that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:48 pm

shonenhikada wrote:Also why do you guys hate me ?
Why are you saying that? :eh:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:00 pm

Herms wrote:
NeoKING wrote:Talk about What Could've Been.
I don't think an additional 40 or so minutes of characters getting their asses handed to them would have added all that much to the movie.
There could still have been story progression and character development in those fights. Vegeta gets his ass handed to him in the final movie too, but his fight nevertheless reveals that he has the potential to surpass Goku if he fights for his wife instead of pride or something (that's actual character development for Vegeta, not a simple information on power levels).

For all we know, those fights could have told us new things about Gohan, Gotenks, Piccolo, etc. Hell, it could maybe have revealed in passing that Tenshinhan and Krillin are considering founding their own fighting schools or something, niftly tying the film to DB Online's post-DBZ backstory.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:08 pm

VegettoEX wrote:If you've publicly posted something for free with the intention of it being seen, I don't see how you suddenly get to decide who and how it gets linked or referenced after that.
The link Chuquita put was YougJiji's page, so it can't be his. I guess he clicked the link to the search result of "kami to kami" and mistook it for his bookmark list or something.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:10 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:
shonenhikada wrote:Are we supposed to believe everything a character says?
Yes? Unless if a statement is contradicted, them it's most likely true.
well Cell's statement is contradicted scientifically so people can choose not believe it for that reason.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:13 pm

I would love to see Piccolo, Kuririn, Yamcha, or Tenshinhan showing new kinds of techniques, and fighting henchmen at their level. It's one of the things that I love in One Piece & miss in Dragon Ball.

TheMightyOzaru wrote:well Cell's statement is contradicted scientifically so people can choose not believe it for that reason.
Many things are contradicted scientifically in Dragon Ball. Just don't think too much about such things.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm sure this has been posted already because you guys are crazy dragonball fans like me :P but just encase it hasn't
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 4GolJil4i0
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:17 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I would love to see Piccolo, Kuririn, Yamcha, or Tenshinhan showing new kinds of techniques, and fighting henchmen at their level. It's one of the things that I love in One Piece & miss in Dragon Ball.

TheMightyOzaru wrote:well Cell's statement is contradicted scientifically so people can choose not believe it for that reason.
Many things are contradicted scientifically in Dragon Ball. Just don't think too much about such things.
Yes but people can still disregard it for that reason. Cell could also just destroy the sun as opposed to the entire solar system.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:20 pm

kei17 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:If you've publicly posted something for free with the intention of it being seen, I don't see how you suddenly get to decide who and how it gets linked or referenced after that.
The link Chuquita put was YougJiji's page, so it can't be his. I guess he clicked the link to the search result of "kami to kami" and mistook it for his bookmark list or something.
So he's not YoungJiji?
I don't follow any of the AF stuff much, so I didn't know.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:22 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Yes but people can still disregard it for that reason. Cell could also just destroy the sun as opposed to the entire solar system.
The Sun & Kamehameha combined explosion could cause an explosion that would destroy the whole Solar System, if Toriyama wanted to.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Chuquita wrote:
kei17 wrote:
So he's not YoungJiji?
I don't follow any of the AF stuff much, so I didn't know.
By "it can't be his", I meant it could not be shonenhikada's profile page.
TheRed259 wrote:DBZ - Movie 14 - SS3 Goku VS Bills - ENG-DUB ( FanMade ) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0SLdIeAENs
Yet another fandub clip ruined by generic dub score like music. They do seem to love doing it, don't they?

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:36 pm

kei17 wrote:
coola wrote:I just watched that trailer, with Bills vs everyone, and I'm sorry, but i don`t get it, what was the point of include Z-Warriors, only for them to be one-hit K.O? I don`t know why, but i found it very sad, that Toei keeps trashing everyone, who isn`t Goku.
According to a 2ch thread, the new guide book says that there originally were many fight scenes of other Z warriors in Toriyama's script, but with all of them, the movie would be 120 minutes long, so they cut most of them. The scenes were even included on the storyboard, but they were never animated.

Can you at least describe those fighting scenes? After all, Toriyama created minions for the movie or Bills would be fighting against them all the time?