Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:13 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:So what did everyone think of the way the first few trailers seemed to mislead us into thinking this was very much an action-focused film? Do you think it was intentional or was it fans reading too much into things? Because I still can't get over how we got such a light-hearted movie after initially seeing stuff like these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5M6eykCPfg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8orqIH0qfc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAyLJq08lZo
It strikes me as a bit unprofessional, actually; from what we know, Toriyama is supposed to have 180'd the story before actual animation began. More likely, I think Toei wasn't confident in the product they ended up selling because of how different it was.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Dragonball Z: Battle of The Gods

7/10

'Battle of the Gods' ! I finally got around to seeing it. Unfortunately, the film did not live up to the hype at all; the original teaser was able to capture that wholesome-epic Dragonball vibe; the film itself failed to do so. 'Battle of the Gods' was a humorous, fun, and endearing romp, but it hardly captured any form of nostalgia and is far removed from being an enthralling viewing. Moreover, the 'god-mode' design was an absolute abysmal. Everything I expected out of the trailers (excluding the teaser) came to fruition, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I was hoping to be surprised. 'Battle of the Gods' is not the rush of adrenaline you'd expect out of a Dragonball Z flick. Instead, the film is a light gentle touch; a reminder that it is still relevant in the vast kingdom that is the anime-verse.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:47 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
..... :lolno:
BoG is at least better than Movie 13, which was considered Good to most fans...

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 pm

I still Say this movie is not the end, but rather a reminder that something bigger is coming the DB Universe even if Toriyama is done!!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:19 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
..... :lolno:
That is NOT why I had the " :lolno: ". I had that because of you saying that only morons dislike this movie.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:22 pm

You know, I actually dislike Movie 13. I know, I'm weird.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Trailers are often produced by film distribution companies without directors' consent (at least in Japan,) so they tend not to reflect what the movies are actually about.

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:54 pm

With all the spoilers, when I watched the movie it was as if I already saw it.
Do you notice that, before their final battle, Bills tells Goku he won't destroy Earth if Goku is stronger than him. This might be why he didn't destroy Earth in the end.

seansmith9322
Not-So-Newbie

Post by seansmith9322 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:47 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:You know, I actually dislike Movie 13. I know, I'm weird.
I didn't know people liked movie 13.
Frieza: Round and round the monkey goes. If he should stop , then OFF WITH HIS NOSE!!!!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:26 am

I really like DBZ Movie 13. I thought it was great until Goku used the Dragon Fist attack which came out of nowhere. I really hate the stupid deus ex machina crap that Toei would always throw in for Goku. I would have Trunks kill off the main villain in Movie 13 since he was the main character and he was friends with Tapion.
Kingdom Heartless wrote:What's the worldwide gross for the movie at the moment? It seems to be doing decent business, especially coupled with home media sales. The movie also seemed to suggest the possibility of more entries into the franchise. After the constant joy I felt watching this, I say bring on more movies!
It looks like Box Office Mojo does not have info for the movie. I would guess maybe 35 or 40 million so far. This movie is not going to be a major blockbuster.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:58 am

Woo, just finished listening to the podcast, and it got me pumped up to talk about the movie! I got to see it about a week ago when my SAL shipped copy finally arrived. After messing around to region hack my DVD player to play region 2 (and having a scare when it somehow got into PAL mode and the screen was just flickering like crazy), I popped in the DVD and immediately began squeeing. For the initial viewing, I had an audience with me that included my husband, plus a friend who saw the movie opening day in Japan since he was living there when it came out (that whorebitchslut). Throughout the movie, both of them were making comments, so I didn't get to fully hear all of the dialogue (OK, I admit, I joined in on some of the commentary. Pretty much every scene with Bulma was interpreted as her saying, "what's going on over here? Eh, whatever, I'm just gonna keep getting drunk." But NO ONE was allowed to speak during any Vegeta scenes!). Needless to say, I rewatched the movie the next day by myself :P Here's an assortment of random thoughts, some of which people have already mentioned, others which I'm probably the only one weird enough to think about.

That CGI...yeesh, it was kind of jarring to be watching regular animation in one scene, and the next feel like I'm watching a video game cut scene. Same issue I had with the Berserk movies, except at least in Battle of Gods, it wasn't happening the entire film.

Loooooove Birus. I'm a cat person, so I loved all the little cat stuff he did. In his first fight against Gokuu, there was a moment where he turned his back and was about to start grooming himself that had me laughing. That's such a cat thing to do :lol: I want to pet hiiiiim.

VEGETA. Oh my god. He was everything I'd hoped for. And his facial expressions! I want to make a new higher quality avatar featuring a crazy Vegeta face, but I can't decide because there's too many scenes to choose from!

So about those bingo prizes the Pilaf gang happened upon. First of all, a castle? How the hell are they even gonna get it out of the building? (must be a capsule castle...a capstle?) What if Oolong won the 10 years worth of ham? Would he eat it? I mean, that's kind of cannibalism right there... And that big ol' diamond looked suspiciously similar to the one Bulma was smuggling in her panties way back in the day. For Trunks' sake, I sincerely hope that was not his mom's crotch diamond he was touching.

Birus and Whis...you were eating spaghetti with chopsticks, but using a fork to eat sushi. You're doin' it wrong!

Aside from minor quibbles, I loved this movie, I felt amazingly giddy while watching it (as everyone on the podcast mentioned, I especially got pumped when "Hero" came on), and I hope that they make more like it in the future :D
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MasterVampire » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:32 am

What does everyone think about Vegito vs Bills?

Super Buu with Gohan absorbed was able to toy with SSJ3 Goku.
Bills was able to toy with SSJ3 Goku.

Then SSJ1 Vegito was able to toy with Buu.

So surely that puts Vegito pretty close to Bills?
Or maybe SSJ2 Vegito?

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:52 am

JeffJarrett wrote:With all the spoilers, when I watched the movie it was as if I already saw it.
Do you notice that, before their final battle, Bills tells Goku he won't destroy Earth if Goku is stronger than him. This might be why he didn't destroy Earth in the end.
He didnt destroy Earth because the fight drained all his energy. That and Goku kinda rubbed off on Bills, he likes his charm. I mean Bills could have just let Goku fall to Earth but he reaches out and carries him down instead.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:03 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:He didnt destroy Earth because the fight drained all his energy. That and Goku kinda rubbed off on Bills, he likes his charm. I mean Bills could have just let Goku fall to Earth but he reaches out and carries him down instead.
When Goku asks Bills not to destroy the planet, Bills says only if he is stronger. He doesn't say only if Goku wins. At the end of the movie, Bills was about to finish Goku in space but he stopped. Goku didn't won but Bills didn't destroyed the Earth, which could meen that Goku was the strongest at one point during their battle.

At one point, Bills said he promised to destroy Earth and always do what he promises. At the end, Bills destroys a small part of Earth (as Whis pointed), not the whole planet, but he still did what he promised by destroying a rock.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:37 am

After finally watching this movie I really like it. The relaxing scenes where good and I'm glad it just wasn't just fighting. Bills is a great villain not just generic, even Shenron being scared of him was nice. Vegeta's character shined with his scenes. The sudden Super Saiyan God transformation and how it was created was quite out of left field but I like the design I'm glad it's not over the top and that it's simple, probably the only one. The Pilaf gang where just filler but I didn't mind it. The animation was nice but the CGI was a little jarring. Altogether I loved this movie, my favourite DBZ movie alongside 1,2 & 13.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:23 am

perucho1990 wrote:
I loved M13, and if it were fleshed out/lengthened a bit more, I think it'd be up there next to BoG for me. It had a nice ensemble cast, a short party scene, and some interesting original characters. Which is also part of why I loved BoG.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:27 am

JeffJarrett wrote:When Goku asks Bills not to destroy the planet, Bills says only if he is stronger. He doesn't say only if Goku wins. At the end of the movie, Bills was about to finish Goku in space but he stopped. Goku didn't won but Bills didn't destroyed the Earth, which could meen that Goku was the strongest at one point during their battle.

At one point, Bills said he promised to destroy Earth and always do what he promises. At the end, Bills destroys a small part of Earth (as Whis pointed), not the whole planet, but he still did what he promised by destroying a rock.
Birus may be impressed by his power at Super Saiyan God, but he didn't spare the Earth because it's power surpassed his own. The deal was that Birus won't destroy the Earth if Goku is stronger than him, and Goku wasn't. We know he wasn't. Whis tells us that his student only used 70% during the battle. Goku was having trouble keeping up with him at that level and the Hakaishin still had a 30% surplus he hadn't tapped yet.

They very clearly make a huge deal at the end of the movie about how Goku has the ability to charm others. Birus finds the Saiyan interesting: the power he had displayed, the things he had said, etc. Once the Saiyan shows humility by admitting defeat, it wins the Haikaishin over completely. He likes Goku enough to spare him and the Earth. He can even save face while doing so, as Birus can pretend to be out of energy since the only one of the heroes capable of sensing his energy is Goku in Gode mode. The others are non the wiser.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:34 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote: since the only one of the heroes capable of sensing his energy is Goku in Gode mode. The others are non the wiser.
Good point, but I disagree with you about "in God mode." Beerus said Goku asborbed the godlike power and that was while Goku is being shown out of SS God while taking on Beerus's blast, so Goku can def sense the energy at this point as his overall power has increased,. Hence why at the end Vegeta was all like "I was number one at one point" and Goku's like "...yeah but I'm alpha dog again."
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:53 am

Kakarot88 wrote:Good point, but I disagree with you about "in God mode." Beerus said Goku asborbed the godlike power and that was while Goku is being shown out of SS God while taking on Beerus's blast, so Goku can def sense the energy at this point as his overall power has increased,. Hence why at the end Vegeta was all like "I was number one at one point" and Goku's like "...yeah but I'm alpha dog again."
Since he absorbed that "realm" into his being for that period, I count the parts of that final fight with him in base and Super Saiyan as still being in God Mode. We don't know what happened after Goku went into Super Saiyan God again though. It's entirely possible that he lost the ability to sense divine ki, access God Mode, the power he had absorbed or whatever after that second transformation. When the Hakaishin was about to blow up the Earth, Goku could have initially been scared and believed Birus' lie about being out of power like everyone else, or maybe he could still sense his energy and knew that the god wanted to save face with everyone else. It's not all that clear, and neither is bit at the end between Goku and Vegeta. Goku was ribbing with Vegeta, but I'm not sure I'd interpret his statements as implying he's the top dog again. Goku seems to enjoy teasing Vegeta (and we get a lot more of it now that they are friends), but his statements could have easily been sincere underneath it all. I mean, Goku has never really had a problem with others being stronger than him, as it just makes him work harder to close the gap.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:10 pm

I can see your point, I just like think my interpretation is better because it seems more in line with Dragon Ball being easy for kids to understand.

Vegeta got stronger than Goku. But wait! Goku became SS God so he's at least briefly stronger but for a time limit! No wait! Actually Goku absorbed that realm of power into his being so now he's again stronger than Vegeta!

Sure the two are buddies and joking but they pretty much agree that at the end Goku is again ahead of Vegeta cuz he has that realm of power absorbed into his being...otherwise there would be no reason to qualify that Vegeta was briefly more powerful than Goku. Vegeta would just be like "Kakarot you clown! Get on my level!" :lol:

But I will respectfully agree to disagree with you as you are entitled to your own interpretation. I can see your point but in my opinion it takes a whole lot more analysis than accepting at face value what happened.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime: