Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:47 pm

Blade wrote:Going by Toei's current theatrical cycle It'll almost certainly be after the next One Piece movie, which has yet to be announced, and will probably be released in late 2015. I'd expect for the next Dragonball Z film, if there is to be one, to be announced next summer and released in Spring 2016.
JulieYBM wrote:One would hope the movie doesn't come out until 2016 at the earliest. Battle of Gods did not have a long enough production schedule and used too many weak key animators. With Toei Animation's poor planning we probably won't get that much, though.
I'm torn. I'd like the next movie to look even better than Battle of Gods. So if they'd actually give the film to talented animators this time around, then I'd deal with the wait. BUT, I also rather have a new story sooner than later. So if they aren't going to tackle the project with more skill, then I say go ahead and move forward with it now.

I remember reading how long it took Cross Epoch to get off the ground because of Oda's schedule, so I'm also assuming they could proooobably move faster on another new Dragon Ball project than One Piece right now? I mean, Toriyama, unlike Oda, doesn't really have a job anymore. Oda could use that time to work on helping with One Piece's next film without any worry of being overworked while still writing and drawing the manga.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:33 pm

A February 2016 release might work, given that it would be the animated franchise's thirtieth anniversary month. Later in the year would be even more preferable if it meant extra time for talented key animators to work on the film. The 2013 Toriko movie had more high-quality action cuts than Battle of Gods, so even if that movie was matched it wouldn't be too bad.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:51 pm

I also want the next movie to have better animation. I enjoyed BOG's story (and even though he wasn't around for the whole thing, when he was on-screen Gokû really stole it; he was so delightfully himself in a way that isn't expressed in most of the earlier Z movies. Nozawa's voice acting definitely contributed to it too.) but the animation was lacking for a good chunk of it and I wished they'd had a bigger animation budget to afford more highly skilled key animators.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:05 pm

I just need more fighting and more sense of power from the fighting in the next movie, better animation is always welcome, but the first two are musts for me, BOG almost seemed to hold back a little to much, even though the characters were supposed to be even more powerful. Put the fight on a dying planet or something that they can literally destroy, or in a place that no one cares about, like they did in the Freeza Vs. SSJ Goku fight.

Don't know if I really want the Dragonballs to to be part of the story, unless until the very end or beginning, it really slowed BoG down when the Dragon came out. All so people knew why it's call 'Dragonball'.

Would really like Vegeta to star, especially if that's what Toriyama really had in mind, even though he said nothings official, but then again he was probably joking.

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:19 pm

Should this get a screening in a Cincinnati theater I'll almost be obligated to attend, regardless of how little I know I'll enjoy the dub. Such is life.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:08 pm

By 2016, it been three years since BOG and Beerus said that he will be back in three years from now. America will get DBZ Movie 15 by 2018.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:41 am

I...don't quite know how to respond to this:
https://twitter.com/JustRojas/status/478718874343731200

On the plus-side...!
https://twitter.com/JustRojas/status/478712959674646529

Must admit, as an outsider, it looks quite funny seeing them randomly offer people seats at the premiere over Twitter. It's like a "Battle of Gods bargain sale." :P

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:48 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:I...don't quite know how to respond to this:
https://twitter.com/JustRojas/status/478718874343731200
Well, Chatwin did play a part in having BoG made? (By starring in a movie so bad it forced Toriyama out of retirement to make his own.)

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:29 am

I know the logistics of this probably make it impossible (adult life), but I would have no qualms about donating towards an airfare if it meant both Mike & Meri could cover the première.

..I can however only spare twenty bucks or so :)

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:14 am

Omega Rockman ‏@OmegaRockman 7h
@JustRojas @Justingchatwin @FUNimation I mean, you'll invite Zac Effron & Soulja Boy but not the guys behind the biggest & best DB fansite?
Hate to break it to you all, but this site isn't the biggest DBZ fan site. Plus why is everyone complaining so much if FUNi doesn't invite Kanzenshuu? It's pretty clear what the staff and several members here think of the FUNimation version.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:05 pm

If you actually look at the tweet train again now too, Rojas has replied to the effect that they have reached out to Kanzenshuu, so...there's that.

Anyway, while I can see them not necessarily issuing an invite to Kanzenshuu given the general feeling towards the dub (though a majority of that is towards the old dub rather than what they've done in this Kai-era, from what I understand anyway), it is kind of sad to see them throwing invites to...well...Soulja Boy. Oy.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:10 pm

I do find it funny that they invited Justin Chatwin over a fan site. But it appears not to be that big of a deal, all you have to do is tweet to them and you'll get an invite. Even smaller DBZ fan sites got invitations this way.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:50 pm

Avenged wrote:Hate to break it to you all, but this site isn't the biggest DBZ fan site.
Maybe it's not the loudest or most flashy; coverage of only the original version plus strict-ish forum rules, but I would argue Kanzenshuu is the biggest in scope. It's the only place where you can get reputable information, until it's reposted elsewhere(and then most likely misconstrued). I can't even name another DB site that still exists. Saiyan Island? I've never been there minus seeing leaked WJ scans with their URL watermarked across the page. The Dragon Ball section of FUNimation's/Nicktoon's forums? I've never been to those places either and am flat-out assuming such sections exist. DB Wiki? The place that was lucky enough to nab a Wikia server so they'll always show up on the first page of a Dragon Ball Google search, even without searching for the term "wiki"?

That got long-winded and off-topic, my apologies. Minus Chatwin and Glover, I don't really know or care about the other folks FUNimation's invited, and even then the former two would just be surreal walking on the red carpet next Chris Sabat or someone. I hope that "plan" to get a Kanzenshuu representative goes through.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:54 pm

B you forgot DbzF.UK.com. Which is kinda popular and a very cool place.

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:43 pm

B wrote:
Avenged wrote:Hate to break it to you all, but this site isn't the biggest DBZ fan site.
Maybe it's not the loudest or most flashy; coverage of only the original version plus strict-ish forum rules, but I would argue Kanzenshuu is the biggest in scope. It's the only place where you can get reputable information, until it's reposted elsewhere(and then most likely misconstrued). I can't even name another DB site that still exists. Saiyan Island? I've never been there minus seeing leaked WJ scans with their URL watermarked across the page. The Dragon Ball section of FUNimation's/Nicktoon's forums? I've never been to those places either and am flat-out assuming such sections exist. DB Wiki? The place that was lucky enough to nab a Wikia server so they'll always show up on the first page of a Dragon Ball Google search, even without searching for the term "wiki"?

That got long-winded and off-topic, my apologies. Minus Chatwin and Glover, I don't really know or care about the other folks FUNimation's invited, and even then the former two would just be surreal walking on the red carpet next Chris Sabat or someone. I hope that "plan" to get a Kanzenshuu representative goes through.
http://www.pojo.com/dragonball/

And there are in fact dozens of very popular foreign websites as well. And as Gm mentioned, the DBZf.uk forums. And Saiyan island is more into naruto these days. There are plenty others, but only if you include watching the anime or reading the manga.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:28 pm

Kannzenshuu is the biggest DB website since we have the biggest news stories, more people come here for DB news then other places and companies like Funimation know that we exist. Pojo is pretty much dead and has been dead for ages. Saiyanisland and DbzF.UK.com are not very well known. This forum has been around 10 years and the mai website has been around 15 years. What other DB sites from the late 90's still exist today that is still well and active. MFG died out ages ago when Ace shut down the forums.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:23 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Kannzenshuu is the biggest DB website since we have the biggest news stories, more people come here for DB news then other places and companies like Funimation know that we exist. Pojo is pretty much dead and has been dead for ages. Saiyanisland and DbzF.UK.com are not very well known. This forum has been around 10 years and the mai website has been around 15 years. What other DB sites from the late 90's still exist today that is still well and active. MFG died out ages ago when Ace shut down the forums.
Pojo still has a very active forum, more so than this place. They even update DBZ news. And this site is new, Daizex on the other hand is older, but if we count mergers, new site names etc etc then well my first DBZ fan site was created back in 1997 and still exists today and during it's prime not too long ago was getting close to 100,000 unique visitors a day, that's roughly over a million hits a day (counting refreshes,page views, etc).

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:45 pm

Might just be me, but it appears very unprofessional I think, to invite random celebrities to a DBZ premiere through a Twitter mention. Can't they get in touch with them directly and invite them, rather than a Twitter mention? Seems a bit desperate.

Also I'd be quite surprised if Chatwin took up that offer. He probably wants to stay as far away as he can from Dragonball after his involvement in that film.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Schemmel just tweeted himself recording this scene from the booth. Anyone know off hand whether this scene is extended cut only? I don't have my theatrical cut with me right now.

From memory, I'm fairly sure that's the extended edition.

EDIT: It is.
Last edited by Ajay on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:18 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Schemmel just tweeted himself recording this scene from the booth. Anyone know off hand whether this scene is extended cut only? I don't have my theatrical cut with me right now.

http://i.imgur.com/HkGKSUH.png

From memory, I'm fairly sure that's the extended edition.
If that is so.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n88SKnS1vKc

I'll just leave this here.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."