Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by songohan619 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Here is a FanDub of one of the clips me and SSJ4Furanki did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D7Hg1yGLgk

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Battle of Gods gets a mention in this article:
http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0052295

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:47 pm

The Battle of Gods mention is just talking about how they hope the upcoming Toriko movie will do well the way Dragon Ball Z Battle of Gods and One Piece Film Z have.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:10 pm

I think the movie will be #1 again this week since I don't see anything major coming out this weekend in Japan. Super Hero Taisen Z comes out next weekend and that movie is going to knock out Battle of Gods to #2 or #3 at the box office.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:37 pm

Is anyone else a little disappointed with the story that we got from this movie? I know we were setting the bar high with the 'Makaioshin' thing, and I guess it was foolish of us to think we'd get a story out of a Dragon Ball movie, but come on! They had 85 minutes to work with here, something that they've never had the opportunity with in terms of Dragon Ball and they did nothing! I realize that it's just meant to be fun, feel-good movie and all, but honestly, we had the Jump Special to do that for us. From the sounds of things, it seems like DBZ Movies 8 and 13 had more story to them. :|

I know this sounds really negative, but I am still gonna watch the movie when I get the opportunity and I'm still going to love it. It's just that the movie's been on my mind a lot lately since it's out and I can't watch it, which means all I have is the story (doesn't help that I recently viewed Film Z as well).

EDIT: Nozawa's in this, but I have no idea on what it's about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AyfH-pWvU8
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:44 pm

This is decent story telling for Dragon Ball standards. This series is adored more so for the characters and the badass fisticuffs.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:51 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:This is decent story telling for Dragon Ball standards. This series is adored more so for the characters and the badass fisticuffs.
Yeah, I know, but it just feels like a wasted opportunity. I felt perhaps they might consider stepping out of their comfort zone and trying something different, but I guess if the film is coming out after the franchise nearly bruied itself then I realize it's best to stick to the winning formula.

Oh well, there's always the possibility of a sequel.... :shifty: Or better yet, a new 200 episode series. The other day, a friend told me something on a message board somewhere.... :lol:

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:41 pm

I'm kinda hoping it'll be a tetralogy of movies.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:56 pm

DBZ Mick wrote:I'm kinda hoping it'll be a tetralogy of movies.
Woah. I never heard that before. 4 films would be cool if done right.

I'm fine with the story. It keeps things simple but I'd wish things would've gotten more serious or alternatively, we get to see more everyday life in the Son (& Bulma) family(ies).
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:13 pm

The story... is fine..? From what I've read, which isn't a lot, because I chose to not check out the in-depth synopsis. The less like Movies 3 and 8 the better.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:31 pm

B wrote:The story... is fine..? From what I've read, which isn't a lot, because I chose to not check out the in-depth synopsis. The less like Movies 3 and 8 the better.
Woops, meant to type DBZ Movies 8 and 13. :P

What's wrong with DBZ Movie 8? I always felt the dragged-out nature of the second half let the movie down a bit, but I don't think it deserved to be lumped in with the other Broly films which are easily among the worst of the movies. Musically it was great, there was a nice amount of humour, there was even an element of mystery and Paragus's plan and backstory were both very interesting. I should get round to making a DBZ Movie 8 Appreciation thread at some point. :lol:

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:11 pm

I didn't mind Movie 8's story either. It had a lot going for it and to be honest, Broli is........pretty cool....on paper, at least. If the Movie didn't drag on for so long and had better fighting, I'd say it would've been close to upper tier Dragon Ball films in terms of quality.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:46 pm

Re: BOG plot

I guess when I do think about it, BOG kind of is the Jump 08 special with a bigger budget (or at least, the final product turned out to be that). I'm not too disappointed (Jump 08 is my favorite of the recent three "specials"); I mean, I got dancing!Vegeta and magical girl ssjg Goku which I'm really happy with and have had crazy fun drawing.

I wouldn't mind though, if things were to get a little more plot heavy if they should ever do another movie after BOG. I think BOG is a good reintroduction/welcome back for real this time movie. As stated many many pages and before many spoilers ago, I wouldn't mind a DB movie with a tearjerker scene or two. >_>

I'm happy Toei's been able to keep this movie from getting leaked in its entirety onto the internet. It's probably saved them some ticket-sales they might not have otherwise gotten and the more money they make, the better the chances of getting more DB movies in the future.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Dogasu wrote:The Battle of Gods mention is just talking about how they hope the upcoming Toriko movie will do well the way Dragon Ball Z Battle of Gods and One Piece Film Z have.
Toriko movie? Now I'm interested! :D

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:43 pm

Insertclevername wrote:I didn't mind Movie 8's story either. It had a lot going for it and to be honest, Broli is........pretty cool....on paper, at least. If the Movie didn't drag on for so long and had better fighting, I'd say it would've been close to upper tier Dragon Ball films in terms of quality.
This. I really liked Movie 8 until the fighting began (well, the major part with Broly).
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:44 pm

DBZ Mick wrote:
Insertclevername wrote:I didn't mind Movie 8's story either. It had a lot going for it and to be honest, Broli is........pretty cool....on paper, at least. If the Movie didn't drag on for so long and had better fighting, I'd say it would've been close to upper tier Dragon Ball films in terms of quality.
This. I really liked Movie 8 until the fighting began (well, the major part with Broly).
I don't think the fighting was all that bad. It did drag on in the moments where Goku was running head-on at Broly, and the latter was just standing there firing ki blasts, but there were some neat moments such as; Goku, Piccolo, Gohan and Trunks all taking on Broly at once, Vegeta getting slammed into a rock face, Goku getting punched through a mountain and the animation where Goku receives Vegeta's power. The main problem was that no one damaged Broly until the very end. It would've been nice if Goku slowly began to fight on level terms with Broly, as he received energy from the others, instead of being beaten 'til that final punch.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:36 am

If there is a sequel/continuation to BoG do you think Goku will train under Whis and he and Bills will be rivals and then maybe team up against a new enemy?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:43 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:If there is a sequel/continuation to BoG do you think Goku will train under Whis and he and Bills will be rivals and then maybe team up against a new enemy?
If there's a new movie, Bills won't appear or he'll just make a brief cameo or be mentioned.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:05 am

JeffJarrett wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:If there is a sequel/continuation to BoG do you think Goku will train under Whis and he and Bills will be rivals and then maybe team up against a new enemy?
If there's a new movie, Bills won't appear or he'll just make a brief cameo or be mentioned.
Well he is due to wake up in three years, so I wouldn't rule out a re-appearance by him should they choose to create a sequel.