Dragon Box: The Movies appraisal?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Dragon Box: The Movies appraisal?

Post by Analytical Delusion » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:40 am

Hello all,

I rarely post here (still lurk, love the new site BTW), but I was just going through some stuff and happened upon my Dragon Box: The Movies set.

My copy is opened, but in excellent condition (no scratches/wear/tears on discs, box, or DragonBook). I'm not in a huge hurry to move the item (nor am I necessarily set on doing so), but I just thought I'd stop by with a couple of questions:

(1) What sort of value have Dragon Boxes in similar condition (very good or better, opened) fetched recently?
(2) I don't have the original shipping box (brown exterior box, not the detailed case itself) or scouters. How much will this bring down the value?
(3) How much interest is there presently in the set (on this board, eBay, and otherwise)? Is right now a good time to sell, did I just miss a window, or should I wait longer?

Thanks in advance! I can supply pictures if anybody's interested.

desirecampbell

Re: Dragon Box: The Movies appraisal?

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:58 am

If I remember correctly (Castor, correct me if I'm wrong), I paid about $350 six years ago for a similar condition set and I thought it was a goddamn steal. It's still my favourite thing. :D

I got the whole package though (original packing box, scouters, booklet). The shipping box isn't a big deal, but losing the scouters will bring down the value.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:33 pm

desirecampbell wrote:If I remember correctly (Castor, correct me if I'm wrong), I paid about $350 six years ago for a similar condition set and I thought it was a goddamn steal. It's still my favourite thing. :D

I got the whole package though (original packing box, scouters, booklet). The shipping box isn't a big deal, but losing the scouters will bring down the value.
I don't own the Movies Dragon Box (or any of the Japanese box sets for that matter...), but I would imagine the demand for that particular set would be down a bit from back then. Not as drastically as the Z Dragon Boxes, since those are/were domestically available, but still, some.

Ever since the initial FUNi announcement of their obtaining the licensing rights to the Z and Z Movie Dragon Boxes, I've been much less interested in the Japanese Movies Dragon Box, in hopes that FUNi might localize it. But that's not to say you won't find anyone interested. The pickings just might be slimmer.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:06 pm

If everything else (Boxset/DVDs/Book) are in great condition, I'd say anywhere between 200-250.
Plus shipping expenses.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:11 pm

I'd say about $250. Mind you, that's based on selling it in the Japanese online market. You could get significantly more if you sell it in the US. The Availability of this to US consumers is extremely low unless they import. (Which many people don't know how to do.) To buy this used, online and not import, your looking at about $350. Even without the scouters and shipping box. I suggest selling it ASAP. If and when FUNi does decide to release a Dragon Box The Movies, the price may drop.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:55 pm

I'd say roughly 300$ myself, too. The lack of scouters knocks down the value substantially.

I don't remember what I paid for my scouter-less box way back then, but it was in that area.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:32 pm

Adamant wrote:I'd say roughly 300$ myself, too. The lack of scouters knocks down the value substantially.

I don't remember what I paid for my scouter-less box way back then, but it was in that area.
Didn't I give it to you for free? Or did you buy a second set like I did? :p
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:43 pm

CashmanX wrote: Didn't I give it to you for free? Or did you buy a second set like I did? :p
Oh shit, right, you did. Sorry, I'm mixing up my Dragonboxes here :P
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:21 pm

$300 sounds great...I'm in the US so for the time being I'm targeting the domestic market.

If anybody here is interested in buying before I venture over to eBay, let me know (not sure how buying/selling works here, I guess everything's done through PM's?). At that price (+ shipping), I'll throw in a free bonus: the TV Animation Part 3 Daizenshuu (actually, I believe it's a supplement to the set, but I digress)! :D

This is somewhat negotiable, so PM me if you want to add the set to your collection. Again, everything's in near-immaculate condition (I've viewed each DVD probably once or twice total); I'll post photos of the set when I get home.