Did we ever hear the results of the Dragon Box poll?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

johnboy1
Regular

Did we ever hear the results of the Dragon Box poll?

Post by johnboy1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:37 am

Sorry about the new topic, but the old topic was... old, so I figured a new one would be more in line with the rules. This regards the poll FUNimation posted in February asking which Dragon Box fans would most want to see next if they released another one.

Did we ever hear which was the most popular answer? Did we ever hear if there was a big enough response for them to consider it? Have we heard anything at all? I've been holding off on buying DB, GT, and the movies for years just in case they were released over here.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

DerekPadula
Regular

Re: Did we ever hear the results of the Dragon Box poll?

Post by DerekPadula » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:31 am

Since no one has answered this yet. No, I don't believe there has been any official word from FUNimation about the results of the poll.

I've also been holding out, so I hope they make an announcement soon.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:00 pm

Funimation is waiting for Otakon to announce that they have the license for "Goku's Traffic Safety" and "Goku's Fire Brigade". They will release it on DVD and remastered on Blu-Ray. It will contain cast interviews from both the Japanese and English cast, reviews by noted anime critics, a commentary track involving Chris Sabat and a depraved walrus, and interactive menus! The price will be $80 and it will be a limited printing that will sell out in three weeks.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:14 pm

penguintruth wrote:Funimation is waiting for Otakon to announce that they have the license for "Goku's Traffic Safety" and "Goku's Fire Brigade". They will release it on DVD and remastered on Blu-Ray. It will contain cast interviews from both the Japanese and English cast, reviews by noted anime critics, a commentary track involving Chris Sabat and a depraved walrus, and interactive menus! The price will be $80 and it will be a limited printing that will sell out in three weeks.

There's no way they'd get a Walrus to sit still for commentary. Where are your sources?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:24 pm

I would guess that the original Dragon Ball anime got the most votes. Now we already knew a 2013 release for Dragon Ball was planned, so best-case-scenario, we get the Dragon Ball Dragon Box next year. *fingers crossed*

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:28 pm

Keep in mind that it was less a "poll" and more a "survey" -- they're under no obligation to release the information they collected, and it was more for internal product development/assessment than it was a generous "here's what you all like!" type of thing.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:20 pm

^There are none, because it's a joke...

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:21 pm

I do wish Funimation would release some information on what may be happening with the possible release of the other Dragon Box's. Maybe they'll mention something once the Kai season sets are all wrapped up.

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:56 pm

dbgtFO wrote:^There are none, because it's a joke...
Insert "YOU DON'T SAY?" meme here. :roll:
Last edited by Son Geeko on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Doesn't Funimation have rights and/or material of the Dragon Box The Movies? Or was that just a rumor?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Insertclevername wrote:Doesn't Funimation have rights and/or material of the Dragon Box The Movies? Or was that just a rumor?
When they announced the "Z" Dragon Box, the PR rep said they had the DBZ series and the movies. Though the rep could have been mistaken.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm hoping we get an announcement of something at Otakon this weekend.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:51 pm

Yeah, like Mawaru Penguindrum!

Oh, you meant DB-related. That'd be neat, too.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Insertclevername wrote:Doesn't Funimation have rights and/or material of the Dragon Box The Movies? Or was that just a rumor?
I can't remember, but I believe there was an official announcement that they had Dragon Box footage for all episodes and movies of Z. Taken literally, that means they have the footage for the 13 theatrical films, but I have a feeling they meant for the two TV specials to be lumped in under "movies" as well. Hell, they might have also meant to include the four DB movies, but just used the more popular title of DBZ in the announcement. Who knows? But yeah, they have at least the 13 Z films.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:40 pm

Hopefully when we hear their next announcement concerning Dragon Ball, we will not only learn what kind of original Dragon Ball anime release we'll get in 2013, but also something about the Z movies they supposedly have, and what they plan on doing with them. Just the Z movies and the first half of the anime. Common FUNimation, this shouldn't be that difficult... :cry:

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:21 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
When they announced the "Z" Dragon Box, the PR rep said they had the DBZ series and the movies. Though the rep could have been mistaken.
Oh okay, if he was right, I suppose that Dragon Box The movies would come out first behind the Dragon Ball Dbox.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:58 pm

We have a website for this, folks :).
FUNimation press release wrote:FUNimation Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Navarre Corporation, today announces that it has acquired the original masters for the entire Dragon Ball Z anime series, episodes and films, and will release all as the Dragon Box for the first time in the U.S. The first of seven Dragon Boxes will be available at major retailers nationwide this Fall.

The Dragon Box will be produced from the original Dragon Box masters after a frame by frame restoration and will span the entire 291 episode television series and all 13 of its movies.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:28 pm

Okay, scratch what I said about the TV specials. They were just talking about the 13 movies.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:37 pm

Big Momma wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Funimation is waiting for Otakon to announce that they have the license for "Goku's Traffic Safety" and "Goku's Fire Brigade". They will release it on DVD and remastered on Blu-Ray. It will contain cast interviews from both the Japanese and English cast, reviews by noted anime critics, a commentary track involving Chris Sabat and a depraved walrus, and interactive menus! The price will be $80 and it will be a limited printing that will sell out in three weeks.

There's no way they'd get a Walrus to sit still for commentary. Where are your sources?
How can you take a post like that seriously at all?