Have you ever cosplayed Dragon Ball/would you ever?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Beji
Regular

Have you ever cosplayed Dragon Ball/would you ever?

Post by Beji » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:39 pm

Just wanted to know if anyone has ever cosplayed as a Dragon Ball character before or even actively cosplay as Dragon Ball characters in this community. I have gone to cons before and seen literally only a. Videls, b. Saiyamans and/or c. Vegetas. And would you guys ever? I'd love to see more Dragon Ball cosplay around!

Was torn on where to put this since you technically make it yourself(or buy) but also counts a lot as "fan culture" which goes under general franchise discussion and there was one thread asking sort of along the same lines but I didn't want to necropost on it.

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Have you ever cosplayed Dragon Ball/would you ever?

Post by penguintruth » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Yeah, I'm getting my weight up so I can be Fat Buu.

But instead of being defeated by Skinny Buu, I get defeated by sugar diabetes.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:24 pm

In case you're wondering, I'm Mr. Satan in this picture.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:41 am

I always wanted to cosplay as rule 63 Uub. I wont shave my hair and grow a mohawk but instead I'll braid my hair up to look close to one. Right now I can't do it, need to lose the tummy and get some abs.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 am

I've been seriously thinking about getting a Piccolo Jr costume together, or at least an interpretation of Piccolo Jr, and I was thinking of asking Kanzenshuu for advice on where to get various things.

Basically I plan to be green, have a white turban and a white cape that doesn't necessarily need the big shoulders, but does need to cover my shoulders and chest and not just hang down at the back - maybe it could cover my arms somewhat as well to hide the fact that I'm not at all muscular and don't have yellow or pink parts - and then some fangs and black contact lenses and perhaps some eyeliner, not to make it look like I'm Piccolo wearing eyeliner, but so that I look more evil.

The problems are, where do I get anything that's anything like the purple/blue one-piece sort of thing that he wears under his cape, and how do I get footwear that's anything like his? I'd like to do something to cover up my eyebrow hair and make my eyebrows more pronounced as well. Has anyone here ever played Piccolo or does anyone know anyone who has?

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:23 am

I have never cosplayed but I don't look the part of Bulma or 18. Maybe, just maybe, Chichi would be an option, but I would need to iron my hair. I would be better off as a generic Saiyan female with my natural WILD dark brown hair. :mrgreen:
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:50 am

soulnova wrote:I have never cosplayed but I don't look the part of Bulma or 18. Maybe, just maybe, Chichi would be an option, but I would need to iron my hair. I would be better off as a generic Saiyan female with my natural WILD dark brown hair. :mrgreen:
I wouldn't want to attempt to make that Saiyan armour :P

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:23 am

Super Sonic wrote:http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-p ... 2662_n.jpg

Where's Mr. Satan?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 am

I tried dressing up as Goku once for Halloween, but it didn't turn out so well. I bought a thing of super duper strong holding gel and tried spiking my hair up to look like Goku's. No amount of gel was going to do it though. Goku's hair is just too crazy! :D
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:16 pm

I dressed up as Yamcha for Halloween one year, due to my long hair, & my bald friend went as Tien.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Just a pro-tip about the Saiyan hair. Don't use gel. You need hairspray and good amount of hair to get something like this.

Here's a tutorial on how to do Saiyan Armor (Seripa). But as I don't have access for most of those materials, I'd have to go the extra mile and use this other tutorial with wheatpaste.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:05 pm

I could possibly see myself cosplaying Dragon Ball when I went to a con, but it'd be something simple probably. Like just a Turtle gi and me not specifically being any character per say, or if I could get the right kind of hat or helmet, I could totally pull off Gyu-mao.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:26 pm

I always wanted to cosplay as Future Trunks but I don't have the build :/ I could probably pull off Sanji from One Piece though :D
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:52 pm

Never have and possibly never will. Cosplay isn't my fortay.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

chaosakita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chaosakita » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:54 pm

I would, if I could find the effort to do so. I'd probably do Videl, or if I was particularly inspired, Android 18.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:53 pm

I did Goku at last Supanova... plan to do a few more down the road.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:05 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-p ... 2662_n.jpg

Where's Mr. Satan?
The guy in the purple gi with the afro. I kinda like how he made a different color for the gi (or is that a manga pallete?)
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:07 pm

penguintruth wrote:Yeah, I'm getting my weight up so I can be Fat Buu.

But instead of being defeated by Skinny Buu, I get defeated by sugar diabetes.
I can't wait to see yours! I'm sure you're almost there send us some pics when you finish it!

And I didnt know so many people here cosplayed/would like to. Last year the most original/simple cosplay had to go to this guy, I was impressed how simple it was to make yet easy to recognize yet noone ever cosplays him.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:28 pm

I've seen a few guys cosplay Ox-King. One guy did that version and his first appearance version in the same day.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:15 pm

I haven't before, but I can imagine myself doing a Saiyaman one down the line.