DBGT- why so many ending songs?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

DBGT- why so many ending songs?

Post by GS7X7 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:02 am

DB had only 1 ending song and one op after about 150 eps.

DBZ, with nearly 300 episodes, had two eds and ops.

DBGT.... with only 64 episodes had 1 opening and 4 ending songs.

Why so many ending songs? Did fans simply consider the first 3 to be crap or was it the rise of an emerging trend to put in lots of op/ed songs in animes? (One Piece has at least 15 now)
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Jord
Advanced Regular

Re: DBGT- why so many ending songs?

Post by Jord » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:06 am

I think it was the commercial aspect, getting to plug more songs by featuring them in the endings.

I like it however. The songs are great and the ending animations do a great job of accompanying the music. Not to mention that DragonBall Z's first ending animation was already outdated after about 30 episodes in by featuring crybaby Gohan.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:11 am

I kind of liked the consistency of using the same song. It gives it a different feel from the multitude of ops/eds some animes have. "Oh, that's the DBZ ending song." Not, "okay that's the song for this arc, and this is the song for that arc", it kind of keeps any songs from being "definitive" for the series. (except maybe the absolute first ones) Head Cha La definitely defines DBZ more than the first ops to Naruto or Bleach seem to for their animes.

Ugh, don't get me started on Bleach, while some are brilliant a lot were garbage.

DBZ's last ed kind of gets outdated near the end, of course.

I guess Japanese executives found a way to help sell more music and DBZGT lasted so long that it showed the evolution of this behavior?

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:56 am

Yeah, it's a trend that had just started to pick up in the 90's. Music industry gives money to the cartoon industry, and the fans of whichever cartoon must buy the shows many "theme songs"; Both industries benefit.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 pm

One thing I'll add- the first ed song kind of gets outdated pretty quick once the "zany space adventures" saga ends and they spend more time on earth.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:51 am

The animation could have been updated; Romantic Ageru Yo had four different animations.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:38 pm

Maybe it was also a desperate ploy to increase ratings? I know Toei execs must have been panicking at the 50% drop in ratings. (or whatever GT had)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:15 pm

Those songs are the few good things about GT.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:59 pm

Unfortunately, this is true. For me, even the BGM is only good if it's a variation of one of the theme songs. :/

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:25 pm

I've never seen Dragon Ball from start to finish but one opening only?

What about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrnMYCW0B2c
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:35 pm

penguintruth wrote:Those songs are the few good things about GT.
Agreed. The songs and the ending...as in I legitimately like the ending, not as in, "thank God it's over."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:10 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I've never seen Dragon Ball from start to finish but one opening only?

What about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrnMYCW0B2c
Sure the animation changed, but it's still the exact same song.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:03 pm

If I remember correctly DBZ had two different CHA-LA-HEAD-CHA-LA openings, one with normal Goku and the other with Super Saiyan Goku.

So it makes like, three openings for DBZ.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:18 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:If I remember correctly DBZ had two different CHA-LA-HEAD-CHA-LA openings, one with normal Goku and the other with Super Saiyan Goku.

So it makes like, three openings for DBZ.
Actually DBZ's CHA-LA opening had three different animations alone, and then some film special animations as well (and a neat video game opening for one of the older games.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:54 am

Oh, Head Cha La changed right at episode 200?

Did that happen to the beginning of a new "13 week season?" That's usually when animes switch up the songs, but it sounds like they said, "oh well" and just did it for 200 to celebrate what was then the longest-running shonen series of all time. (I think? It had to have been, esp. counting the first DB series)

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:14 am

I actually love that there's so many closings in GT. The openings and closings were among the best parts of the series, and since the series doesn't have an enormous amount going for it, multiple closings are no issue in my eyes.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:50 am

I don't mind. I really do not like GT all that much, but one thing it did have going for it was the music. All of them were great. If I'm not mistaken, most if not all of the ending songs featured were from popular artists of the time, or popular songs.. you can tell. At least I know Blue Velvet was.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:24 pm

I had trouble watching GT, and even skipped a few eps, but the epic soundtrack helped me stick it through.

Thankfully the last 10-12 eps of the show are of DBZ-quality.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:43 pm

GS7X7 wrote:Oh, Head Cha La changed right at episode 200?

Did that happen to the beginning of a new "13 week season?" That's usually when animes switch up the songs, but it sounds like they said, "oh well" and just did it for 200 to celebrate what was then the longest-running shonen series of all time. (I think? It had to have been, esp. counting the first DB series)
No, that would be #195 or #208. Episode #200 was likely chosen because it had the most number of changes to the cast and it was also the two hundredth episode.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:36 pm

It was also probably because it was such a huge time gap, and so much had changed.