Goku/Superman: How Would You See It Done?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Goku/Superman: How Would You See It Done?

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Forgive me mod staff if this belongs more in the fan-works section. But recently I started thinking if a DB/Superman crossover were done by Shuisha, DC, Toei, Funimation, and Warner deciding to team for something how would you guys see it be done? For myself, I don't see it as Goku and Supes fighting each other, but rather teaming up to take down Superboy Prime with some other things going on and cameos by DC characters in the final battle. I would like to see it animated, but not sure on whether the DB and DC characters would be drawn in the same style or in different styles a la Turtles Forever. Could see it more with the Funimation cast as nothing against the Japanese cast, but outside the occasional gratuitous foreign language, I can't watch DC or Marvel characters in languages other than English, and it'd look wierd for Supes to be talking in one language and have others responing in another with him having Katana or Doctor Light with him interpreting. That's just how I can see it happening, with some other things, how would you guys see it?

Gokuden
Regular

Re: Goku/Superman: How Would You See It Done?

Post by Gokuden » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:45 pm

I think Goku is way stronger than Supes. The online fan community decided Superman was on par with Goku's SSJ transformation.
http://www.electricferret.com/fights/issue_156.htm

Goku would probably kill Darkseid with a Kamehameha.
I would prefer it to be a V.S. and Goku just pulverising Superman, then Vegeta steps-in to kill the government pet. :D
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:02 pm

I've always imagined that if they were to fight, it would be because Superman was manipulated into fighting in a tournament that Goku was entering, with the villain hoping to wear him down enough to be able to take his own shots at him.

I'd like to see it animated, ideally.
Last edited by Kingdom Heartless on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:07 pm

What about Goku vs Superman Prime? http://superman.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Prime

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:14 pm

Sin wrote:What about Goku vs Superman Prime? http://superman.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Prime
Immunity- Superman Prime is imune to magic, kryptonite, lightning, mental manipulation, ect.
Creation - Superman Prime is able to create lifeforms out of nothing.
Resurrection - Superman Prime can resurrect the dead and himself.
Omniscience - Superman Prime has possibly learned everything in his time in the sun.
Omnipotence - Superman prime has near limitless abilties as far as we can see.
Omnipresent - Superman Prime can be any where at any time.
All Kryptonian powers under a Yellow Sun. All of his Kryptonian powers are enhanced.
Godlike Super strength - His strength is limitless, he is capable of lifting his own multi-verse.
Godlike Super speed - His speed is incomprehensible to even the abstract beings.
Godlike Super Senses
Godlike Xray vision - He can see through any solid object, with no exceptions.
Godlike Heat vision - A million times hotter than the center of the sun.
Godlike Super Stamina/Endurance - Capable of surviving the end of the Multiverse.
Godlike Invulnerability - Capable of surviving the end of the Multiverse.
Godlike Super Hearing - Cosmic Awareness.
Immortality - Superman Prime, will live until the end of Reality.
I'm not sure this is Superman anymore, sounds more like God to me.
I don't think anyone would want to fight that incarnation of Superman, if you know what I'm saying.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:18 pm

A thirteen episode animated series would be cool. Not only would it allow for cool fighting, but it'd allow for a lot of character interaction between the two casts.

First have Vegeta, Trunks, and Goten brought to a DCU, have Vegeta get himself in trouble for killing supervillains that were annoying him. Vegeta being Vegeta, finds the generic dead-serious adherence to "no killing" hilarious, so he plays along and allows himself to be held in a supposedly 'high security cell'. Gokuu, while searching for Vegeta and the kids' ki, winds up teleporting to the DCU himself (cheap-ass excuse: the dimensional rift allows the faint traces of ki to leak through). Gokuu tries to convince the JL/government/whathaveyou to let Vegeta go, but they're not too keen, so Gokuu shows that breaking Vegeta out of prison is about as tasking as taking a pee. Feeling bad (not to mention wanting to fight some strong dudes) Gokuu proposes that he fight the baddest dude on their Earth. If Gokuu loses, Vegeta will stay in prison. The US government ruluctantly agrees to this, so Superman (who finds Gokuu's attitude inappropriate) agrees. Cue five episodes of fighting. After the fighting, introduce the actual plot: Darkseid or whoever was the one who set this string of events into motion. Everyone teams up to stop an invasion of the Dragon World and protect the Dragon Balls from falling into the bad guys' hands. The End.

While I'm fan-wanking, all Dragon Ball characters will be voiced by their original Japanese actors and all DCU characters voiced by a mix of fan favorite actors for the roles and newcomers. The fact that the Dragon Ball characters are speaking another language can play into the plot of the story, too. English territory releases will have subtitles for the Japanese dialogue and Japanese territories will have subtitles for the English dialogue.

For character designs and animation, I'm a bit split. Animation would be best done entirety by Toei Animation, for cost and talent reasons. The designing is where it gets tricky, because I'm tempted to just say have Yamamuro Tadayoshi do all the character designs, even for the DCU characters because there is so damn many character designers that have worked on DC animation. Then again, I sort of feel like that would defeat the purpose of ultimate fanwank. My only solution is having all volunteering designers fight it out in a pit. Last man still able to draw quick enough to fit the production schedule wins. :P

I don't particularly care who wins, but if I were in charge I'd just have Gokuu win because of as a character I think his love of battle is the sort of romantic path a battle story should go down. Superman typically isn't portrayed as getting a genuine thrill out of fighting strong guys and I think if one is going to do a story about DCU and Dragon Ball characters meeting and interacting, the two core casts ought to clash as much as possible.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Sin wrote:What about Goku vs Superman Prime? http://superman.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Prime
That was my thoughts, though they changed it back to Superboy Prime.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Whatever the case I'm sure Goku would just ascend to a new form of Super Saiyan in order to overcome his enemy.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:34 pm

A official Goku vs. Superman animated movie would be cool, but I don't think it will ever happen. A crossover would have be done through Shueisha and DC Comics. DC comics are not very popular in Japan given how DC media like Green Lantern, Nolan Batman movies, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City did poorly in Japan. I doubt any of the Japanese fans would care to see a crossover. I can see why Shueisha isn't very interested in the idea.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:32 am

Why is it always Goku? Why not Ultimate Gohan vs. Superman?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:38 am

sonikku956 wrote:Why is it always Goku? Why not Ultimate Gohan vs. Superman?
I think most people outside of the fandom would think that Goku is the strongest, especially if they're taking GT into account.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:05 am

With idea I had, was thinking a year after the Buu memories wish was made, so Dballs are active. Saw Gohan having a bit in standing against Superboy Prime, as well as helping save Supes from getting taken out by the very huge Spirit Bomb. Thought of it as one with enegery gathered from DB Earth and thanks to a wish from Shenron, King Kai was able to contact Ganthet who gets a message to DC Earth and we see many heroes as well as many supporting characters like the Kents, Alfred, Planet Staff and Gotham PD giving energy for it. The biggest coming from the Lantern Corps with John, Kyle, Hal and Guy leading the oath before pouring as much will as ty can into it.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:31 am

I don't think the characters themselves would really work well together. The crossover idea is more interesting as a battle thread than an actual story.
sonikku956 wrote:Why is it always Goku? Why not Ultimate Gohan vs. Superman?

Goku is the main character. I guess people also like to compare the two because of how Goku's origin story in the Saiyan arc mirrors Superman's.

MisguidedGhost
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MisguidedGhost » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:00 am

It could always be something Dragon Ball Multiverse. Some powerful alien race, whether by magic or technology, decides to bring together Supes and Goku to duke it out. It doesn't really seem like much plot would be required beyond that. Oh, and it would have to be traditionally animated, preferably by Toriyama, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:01 am

MisguidedGhost wrote:It could always be something Dragon Ball Multiverse. Some powerful alien race, whether by magic or technology, decides to bring together Supes and Goku to duke it out. It doesn't really seem like much plot would be required beyond that. Oh, and it would have to be traditionally animated, preferably by Toriyama, but that's probably just wishful thinking.
Toriyama isn't an animator.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:03 am

Wizard Magazine start the whole Goku vs. Superman debate. I remember they said that Goku would beat Superman as a normal SSj which got most fans upset. Not to mention that AT and DC had nothing do with that fight which is why people don't use it in debates.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:12 am

Superman Prime? I call hacks... he equals GOD.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

MisguidedGhost
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MisguidedGhost » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:26 am

JulieYBM wrote:
MisguidedGhost wrote:It could always be something Dragon Ball Multiverse. Some powerful alien race, whether by magic or technology, decides to bring together Supes and Goku to duke it out. It doesn't really seem like much plot would be required beyond that. Oh, and it would have to be traditionally animated, preferably by Toriyama, but that's probably just wishful thinking.
Toriyama isn't an animator.
Right you are. My mistake. I meant more along the lines of he could do concept art or maybe some storyboards or something.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:36 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Superman Prime? I call hacks... he equals GOD.
ACHOO! Oops, there goes the solar system.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:21 am

Superman's power depends greatly on which Superman we are talking about, and that doesn't stop at Superman Prime.

Unlike Goku, Superman had a lot of writers, retcons and rewrites, and that on itself is enough to make his power very inconsistent.

Lets just say that the weaker versions of Superman would be killed by Goku and Goku would be killed by the stronger versions of Superman.