GT appreciation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: GT appreciation

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:22 pm

I like how the worlds were designed and how they brought some humor back.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:02 pm

I actually rather enjoyed GT, except for the first 15 or so episodes. By the Baby Saga it definitely improved; my favourite saga of GT actually. As many members have said SSJ4 was definitely something positive aha, as well as Baby Vegeta and Hell Fighter 17. Let's not forget Omega Shenron, definitely one of the most bad-ass characters of the entire DB universe.
One World. 🌐 🕊

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:50 pm

I actually really like GT. It has some good story lines in there, and some funny characters. The only thing I really don't like about it though is that at times I feel as if it gets a little too dark for a Dragon Ball anime, though it may just be me. I do got to say though, get pretty sick of all the criticism it gets. So to all the people that criticize it: you don't have to watch it, or even like it for that matter, but at least acknowledge it as an installment of Dragon Ball, and not a laughing stock.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

elyas11
Not-So-Newbie

Post by elyas11 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:19 am

Not a major fan of GT. The Grand Tour saga, travel the universe, wasn't my kind of thing and didn't really match with DBZ as a whole. It looked like a total different story. As for the Baby saga, if I had the power to, I would delete it out of existence. A machine, no matter what or how, is to me just unable of being stronger than a magical being. Same goes for Super17. Now the shadow dragons are a really good thing, I wish they dragged that story out more than as short as it was. Loved the concept and returning all the wishes made into the reason the dragon balls went negative. Though it didn't make sense as to how Elder Kai knew about it... >.> Also, SSj4 is a great design, though it didn't seem as strong as SSj3 at times.. It was waaaay to underclassed while it deserved so much more power. And my favorite part is Gogeta SSj4, which should've had so much power that the entire universe should be shaking to be honest, but still looked awesome and all.

I dislike all the powerlevels for everyone in the show. It just didn't make the least of sense to me. As if Majin Buu was stronger than all of the enemies in GT..

So to say "appreciate" the good parts, there is always a downside that kind of makes the goods in GT fade away, sadly..

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:19 am

Well, I'll always love the classic Dragon Ball series as it is in 42 tankoubons I have!!! (I would so much want Kanzenban, but having the same series twice in japanese, which I'm not much skilled in is overkill)
But we didn't knew this in those days when GT aired after Z. We were used to that Japanese series have lots of continuations like Slayers, which we were watching too.

My review:
So Z ended with Uub and Goku flying away and haven't this manga conclusion. As we didn't knew manga at that time, we simply didn't thought the story is over, so we were waiting for the next episode of Z.
And the new opening started and we were like wow!!! Well, Goku shrinking back was a little letdown, but we loved that Space adventure and the Tsufuru-jin stuff was pretty awesome. SSJ4 not that much. We still thought that the blondes are cooler, because Buu saga was awesome beyond any known limits.
Super 17 arc was little boring, but Evil Dragons arc was badass and the ending almost made us crying and then, Goku and Vegeta Jr. 100 years after?? Yes!! New series!! And then it ended with THE END......
So I had GT as direct continuation of Z, but well, even as a kid I didn't liked it that much. Well mainly because of the main party of heroes? Friends and myself hated Pan a lot, she was useless and annoying. Well, after Buu arc with so rudiculous power ups and crucial battle of fate, you get shrinked Goku, Trunks..... and yeah! Goten! Wait, that was so f**ked up letdown for us right at the beginning. Trunks was awesome since he killed off Freeza, but, here he was almost as usefull as Pan in battle, promoted ro role of Super Saiyan Bulma.....
The GT would have been so much better, if there was bringing back the old team ups and using all the warriors, using the Goku over and over, killing of Krillin and bringing Android 18 only as a homewife bitching about blowing herself up. There were lots of things that weren't that cool for me even as a kid.
To this day, I love the Buu arc the most. It was the best arc ever. Those epic fights plus that humour and thinking up strategies, I loved it so much as 11 year old kid!!! GT had great start as a new series. The Baby arc, which I take from beginning of GT until defeat of Baby, was pretty much not that bad of an intro, but from the Super 17 arc it seems like they simply ran out of the steam to push the series further. I think that GT should've ended with Baby arc, like some Gaiden to Z. Really, what is there bigger nemesis to Saiyans than Tsufurus? Remade as bio-mutant? And possesing all the people making enemies from your friends?? Or simply cuting off the Super 17 arc and starting right off with Evil Dragons and made them longer and more adventurous like Space and Baby stuff and more warriors from the Z era tossed in.
PS: but stuff with Piccolo in hell during the Super 17 arc was kinda fun :)

GT isn't bad, but simply, can't top the Buu arc which ran right before it as it does't have that strong built story....
Maybe if the first half wasn't kinda good and the second half that rushed and without ideas what to do with it.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:21 am

I love GT. My room is filled with SSJ4 statues/figures and wallscrolls. I do agree there were some dull moments in the first couple of episodes, but once Luud and Bebi showed up, shit got real. I found it to actually be pretty interesting storytelling. I like how it was all tied together.

I also appreciate some of the little things the series did. I love the fight with Ledgic simple because there was a night-time backdrop. I feel DBZ's landscapes were pretty limited to open fields in the middle of nowhere. In GT they were fighting in cities and crap.

The music also makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I know Blue Velvet wasn't an original piece, but I want that song played at my funeral. Also, the music that plays when the black dragon is summoned instead of Shenlong is absolutely bone chilling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zczB9bC ... E&index=25

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:29 pm

I did like how Bebi took over the Earth. He was the first villain since Piccolo Daimao that conquer the Earth. Most villains just go around killing people and try to destroy it then take over the Earth.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:59 pm

I liked the general concept of GT. At least, the initial one: Instead of travelling the world for the Dragon Balls (old hat now), they had to transverse the galaxy looking for them. And with a time limit! That was a pretty decent idea.

Some of the other ideas, I didn't like so much. Goku's varying standards of power (if he can go SSJ as a kid, then why can't he just go SSJ3 for every fight and immediately win?), Trunks being kind of a lanky pussy, some of Pan and Giru's behavior, the de-evolution of adventure back into DBZ mode, only worse.

They managed to scrape together a decent ending, at least.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:58 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I did like how Bebi took over the Earth. He was the first villain since Piccolo Daimao that conquer the Earth. Most villains just go around killing people and try to destroy it then take over the Earth.
Yeah, him being regarded a king was what made him original...... It's funny, how Baby is actually more developed Hachihyakku and the Tsufuru mutants are based on Dr. Raichi.
I always liked the idea of Hachi Hyakku and Baby being canon to each other, made by two different scientists.
If they named Myu as Dr. Raichi and did a story that Baby is next level in his revenge cloned from the Tsufuru king (Something like Gero with Cell idea), that would be awesome for me :))
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:11 pm

My feelings on GT can be summed up in a more-or-less quote from an old friend of mine - GT is full of great ideas, but overall has horrible execution.

I love the idea of Super Saiyan 4 and the Shadow Dragons, and the characters (at least the ideas of them) of Pan, Uub, and Giru, and even the Baby stuff is pretty interesting at first...but then, every time it comes up with something cool in this series, it ends up dropping the ball as soon as things get going. It's like someone tosses them this GREAT idea but it's still too hot from the oven and an idea version of 'Hot Potato' ensues, and we all lose in the end.

That said, I do still like it enough that I acknowledge it, and overall it's in what I consider the main storyline of the DB universe. Mostly. Usually.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:05 am

elyas11 wrote:A machine, no matter what or how, is to me just unable of being stronger than a magical being.
I don't have any trouble buying that, personally. Buu may be magic, but he's not all powerful, and their are non-magical forces out there in our real universe that are much more powerful than him. Capture those forces in a machine and you'd have a machine more powerful than Buu.

Still, I sort of get what you're saying.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:41 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:I actually really like GT. It has some good story lines in there, and some funny characters. The only thing I really don't like about it though is that at times I feel as if it gets a little too dark for a Dragon Ball anime, though it may just be me. I do got to say though, get pretty sick of all the criticism it gets. So to all the people that criticize it: you don't have to watch it, or even like it for that matter, but at least acknowledge it as an installment of Dragon Ball, and not a laughing stock.
It can still be criticized whether you like it or not. DBGT has good qualities yes but there are a lot of very obvious flaws. However since this is an appreciation thread I'm not gonna go over said flaws.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:53 pm

MCDaveG wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I did like how Bebi took over the Earth. He was the first villain since Piccolo Daimao that conquer the Earth. Most villains just go around killing people and try to destroy it then take over the Earth.
Yeah, him being regarded a king was what made him original...... It's funny, how Baby is actually more developed Hachihyakku and the Tsufuru mutants are based on Dr. Raichi.
I think Bebi is the only main villain GT that has more developed then anyone else in GT. Super 17 and Super Yi Shin Long feel like that they were just there. They didn't had any development in them and they had no real motivation.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:
I think Bebi is the only main villain GT that has more developed then anyone else in GT. Super 17 and Super Yi Shin Long feel like that they were just there. They didn't had any development in them and they had no real motivation.
That's because #17 were already previously developed in DBZ. Yi Xing Long was obiviously born out of the negative energy the Dragon Balls had built up over the year. He doesn't actually need a development. The only dragon that had significant development is Si Xing Long.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:13 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
That's because #17 were already previously developed in DBZ. Yi Xing Long was obiviously born out of the negative energy the Dragon Balls had built up over the year. He doesn't actually need a development. The only dragon that had significant development is Si Xing Long.
That's no excuse. #17's development in Z had nothing to do with Super 17, since once #17 and HF17 merged they were a new entity that didn't get any development. The fact that Si Xing Long got development shows that the other dragons, and most importantly Yi Xing Long could have gotten development, but didn't.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:26 pm

Saiga wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
That's no excuse. #17's development in Z had nothing to do with Super 17, since once #17 and HF17 merged they were a new entity that didn't get any development. The fact that Si Xing Long got development shows that the other dragons, and most importantly Yi Xing Long could have gotten development, but didn't.
What could Yi Xing Long possibly develop? He was evil with the goal of laying ruin into the universe, simply because of negative energy he was born out of the Dragonballs.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:28 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
What could Yi Xing Long possibly develop? He was evil with the goal of laying ruin into the universe, simply because of negative energy he was born out of the Dragonballs.
He was a flat, one-dimensional character. Si Xing Long was also born from the same negative energy but that didn't stop him from having some substance. Heck, even the other dragons at least had some personality quirks.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:33 pm

I might be in the minority but I HATE Bebi.

Sure, his backstory is cool and all but his personality and voice makes me want to destroy things. :x
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:36 pm

But that was Yi Xing Long's point. Being the finality of all evil that exists for the sole reason of utter destruction. You don't have to like it.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:39 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:But that was Yi Xing Long's point. Being the finality of all evil that exists for the sole reason of utter destruction. You don't have to like it.
A character being flat being "the point" to them is a bad point to make.