Dragon Ball Online Retconning GT's Existence

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball Online Retconning GT's Existence

Post by NeoKING » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Yes, it was made by Toriyama;

Yes, he was heavily involved in its general design and aesthetic;

Yes, he said that it takes place after Dragon Ball;

None of this means that Dragon Ball Online is the official sequel to the Dragon Ball manga. Am I right or am I right? Okay, good. Figured I'd make this thread rather than having people flog the Battle of Gods thread with statements about Dragon Ball Online and GT that just aren't true.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Online Retconning GT's Existence

Post by Saiga » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:52 pm

It's obviously an official product.

It also continues from the manga's ending.

Hence, it's an official sequel. Doesn't get much simpler than that.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:58 pm

It is an official continuation. It doesn't retcon GT's existence. I don't see what the problem is.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Penguin Truth's Guide To Dragon Ball Canon:

Canon: Akira Toriyama's original Dragon Ball manga (all 42 volumes)

Non-canon: Everything else

Now, you too can be a master of DB canon arguments! Impress your friends! Lay waste to your enemies! End pointless arguments!

And the cost? Just five easy payments of shutting the hell up about this crap!
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:20 pm

I think the people who only like GT are people are blinded by nostalgia. DB Online retconning GT is a good thing since that's what people wanted. I remember people back in the early 2000's wanted GT to be remade or remove from the show's timeline. I don't think things are much different now.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:42 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think the people who only like GT are people are blinded by nostalgia. DB Online retconning GT is a good thing since that's what people wanted. I remember people back in the early 2000's wanted GT to be remade or remove from the show's timeline. I don't think things are much different now.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so that's what it was, oooooooooooooooooooooooh.
penguintruth wrote:Penguin Truth's Guide To Dragon Ball Canon:

Canon: Akira Toriyama's original Dragon Ball manga (all 42 volumes)

Non-canon: Everything else

Now, you too can be a master of DB canon arguments! Impress your friends! Lay waste to your enemies! End pointless arguments!

And the cost? Just five easy payments of shutting the hell up about this crap!
You're not particularly good at the humor thing.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm all for taking DBO over GT any day of the week. DBO's timeline is much more in touch to what DB and DBZ were like. Besides it has Goku and Vegeta running off to die fighting honoring each other like true warriors. That's very difficult to beat.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Why should Goku fight Vegeta ever again? Any fight after the Buu arc is going to be completely one-sided, in Goku's favor. He might as well fight Yamucha again.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shineman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think the people who only like GT are people are blinded by nostalgia. DB Online retconning GT is a good thing since that's what people wanted. I remember people back in the early 2000's wanted GT to be remade or remove from the show's timeline. I don't think things are much different now.
That's the weird statement to make, and mostly likely a hasty generalization at best. I'd pretty sure that people who like GT, because you know, like GT? :P

Just because what happen back in the day doesn't really apply to the present (I think that's a fallacy. can't remember the name of it though). Today in age, some people use Canon that goes within their emotions, which is define solely based on quality. For example, if GT's execution (which I'll admit, GT had some bad executions here and there) was good, then I'll doubt that people will be killing each other whether or not GT is canon. Also, DB Online never retcon GT, because it was never part of the storyline, as mention in the last thread, it only expanded the universe, much like Dragon Ball Heroes. It doesn't impact the comic one way or another.
"You, your family, everyone, will die. Over and over. Mountains of broken bodies, beneath the wheel." - Lich (Crossover, Adventure Time Season 7, episode 23)

I run a general discussion site: https://cosmiccitycrews.com/index.php

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:42 pm

I don't see why people throw around what's canon and what's not without the clear definition of what it is. As far I've heard and seen canon refers to any work created by the original author of the franchise. With that said any story Akira Toriyama has written himself I feel should be canon to the universe.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:07 pm

penguintruth wrote:Why should Goku fight Vegeta ever again? Any fight after the Buu arc is going to be completely one-sided, in Goku's favor. He might as well fight Yamucha again.
If Vegeta somehow achieved SSJ3 after the Buu saga, they would be pretty close to even.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:19 pm

rereboy wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Why should Goku fight Vegeta ever again? Any fight after the Buu arc is going to be completely one-sided, in Goku's favor. He might as well fight Yamucha again.
If Vegeta somehow achieved SSJ3 after the Buu saga, they would be pretty close to even.
Are you sure? Vegeta became a Majin because he was still behind Goku. He saw the power it gave to Babbidi's minions and Vegeta made up his mind to accept the spell to become even with Goku.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:26 pm

Hitiro wrote:Are you sure? Vegeta became a Majin because he was still behind Goku. He saw the power it gave to Babbidi's minions and Vegeta made up his mind to accept the spell to become even with Goku.
Yes, and afterwards he was even with Goku. I don't believe he lost this power, since Babidi describes it similar to other instances of one having their dormant power unleashed.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:05 pm

Saiga wrote:Yes, and afterwards he was even with Goku. I don't believe he lost this power, since Babidi describes it similar to other instances of one having their dormant power unleashed.
I'm not so sure about this. He lost the Majin spell which I always assumed is what provided him with that power. So without it I always thought he went back to the level he was at before he had the spell to awaken his power.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:14 pm

Hitiro wrote:
Saiga wrote:Yes, and afterwards he was even with Goku. I don't believe he lost this power, since Babidi describes it similar to other instances of one having their dormant power unleashed.
I'm not so sure about this. He lost the Majin spell which I always assumed is what provided him with that power. So without it I always thought he went back to the level he was at before he had the spell to awaken his power.
To quote the strength checker:

Chapter: 456 (DBZ 262), P4.3
Context: as Babidi takes control of Vegeta
Babidi: “While I’m at it, I’ll draw out his hidden power to beyond [his? its?] limits!”
To me, that sounds like him drawing out Vegeta's hidden power was something different from the spell to control him, and no different to any other hidden power unlocking.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:32 pm

I uh ... I thought this was obvious.

Wasn't the game a result of the company only getting lisence to use the manga anyway? So from the very beginning it would've been pitched to Toriyama as a new story set after the end of the manga only.

Even then, we've never gotten indication that Toriyama thinks of it as anything other than "Here's a story that might happen after the end of the manga," driven heavily by the game mechanics it was forced to explain and incorporate. Of course, it's evident he's never considered GT anything other than a story that might or might not happen after the end of the manga either.

Now, the more interesting question is what Toei's stance on the whole thing is. My guess is that:

1) They don't give two shits about Online because it's a (currently) Korea-only game they have nothing to do with it, and hence have never referenced it.

And 2) While I don't think they'll ever produce more material to directly link Z/the manga to GT, it's very much a part of their Dragon Ball franchise, is still available on DVD and continues to lend material to a stream of merchandise such as cards, figures and, most recently, heavily promoted updates to Heroes and its supplementary manga chapters. And thus I don't think they'll ever do anything to directly contradict it either, and may even throw small nods toward the possibility of its events (like maybe Super Saiyan Gohan in the upcoming movie, if that turns out to be true). They seem to be taking the safe route with that, which I think works well.

tl;dr, Toriyama doesn't care. Toei's never going to have Doctor Mu show up in a new movie, but they're not going to show Piccolo, Boo and Goku palling around twenty-five years later either.

/post-manga sequels
Last edited by Cipher on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Cipher wrote:1) They don't give two shits about Online because it's a (currently) Korea-only game they have nothing to do with it, and hence have never referenced it.
Nitpicking here since it doesn't really change your statement's intent, buuut; Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:38 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Nitpicking here since it doesn't really change your statement's intent, buuut; Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong
Oh, woops. I haven't kept up with Online in quite some time.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:53 pm

Toei wouldn't have the rights to do anything based on Online in the first place, would they?