The Chōzenshū databook thread: speculation, discussion, etc.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Re: The Chōzenshū databook thread: speculation, discussion,

Post by omegalucas » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:41 pm

I thought the cooldown was 30 minutes...
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 pm

I just thought....

You don't think they would pull off a Dragon Ball Multiverse, do you? :wtf:
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:05 pm

NeoKING wrote:How about ... the 7th universe is where the manga happened, while the 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th is where GT/DBO/Movies happened, etc.
soulnova wrote:I just thought....

You don't think they would pull off a Dragon Ball Multiverse, do you? :wtf:
I thought of the same thing after thinking on it, glad it wasn't just me. :lol: I dunno if they'd really want to go that route though...talk about opening a huge can of worms.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Me too...
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:31 pm

Can't wait to see the facts when Kanzenshuu analyzes the books. Gohan better get a logical explanation for what going on in the movie.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:39 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Can't wait to see the facts when Kanzenshuu analyzes the books. Gohan better get a logical explanation for what going on in the movie.
IKR. I'm hoping Gohan can just add ssj on top of his mystic form.
Last edited by TheMightyOzaru on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:20 am

dbzfan7 wrote:Can't wait to see the facts when Kanzenshuu analyzes the books. Gohan better get a logical explanation for what going on in the movie.
We already know most of the new info. There will be no explanation for Ultimate Gohan, since almost all of the book is literally a reprint of the 2nd & 4th Daizenshuu, with the exception of the information about the Gods of the Universe, Dr. Mashirito & Abale-chan, Neko Majin, Episode of Bardock, and the new Toriyama interview.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:51 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:We already know most of the new info.
Probably all of the new info, really. The only thing we haven't gone over on Kanzenshuu is the Neko Majin/Bardock/Abale stuff, which is all a fairly straightforward summary of those stories, without new info on them.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:47 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
We already know most of the new info.
Books, plural. Meaning he is also hoping for more new information, and a Gohan explanation, in one of the other 3 that have yet to be released...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:15 pm

deleted
Last edited by Fox666 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:21 pm

I really wouldnt mind the idea of a multiverse honestly if it meant allowing them to start a new series after the end of th manga.... maybe one supervised by Toriyama. I would like to see where he would have taken the series.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Fox666 wrote:To be fair, the first book already has a "growing-up" section for Gohan, and nothing was added about his "mightiest warrior" form.
I don't see what that really has to do with hoping for an explanation about why Gohan has Super Saiyan again in Battle of Gods. Most of the book is just a reprint of the second and fourth Daizenshuu, typos and all. If they didn't even bother to fix the Daizenshuu's mistakes with this new release, they wouldn't add anything to the old sections...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:15 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
We already know most of the new info.
Books, plural.
:shifty:

OK... I also hope for more information from the next books, but I doubt it.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:43 am

Alright, I've finally had the time to sit down and flip through this first Chōzenshū, which I've had for about a week now. I know we've covered most of the book on the main site, but there was one issue I noticed right away that bugged. Now as Mike, and many on here would say, it's just me being anal and super nitpicky, but I do think it's worth noting because it lends some perspective into the original Daizenshuu.

So here's the theory -- Shueisha no longer has access to the original copies of the Daizenshuu. I'm not quite sure if it's because they no longer have backwards compatibility to whatever digital files they used back in the mid-90s or if they merely never kept them, but I'm 99% sure that the reprinted pages of the Daizenshuu in the book are mere scans. Yep, they dissected the Daizenshuu, scanned the pages, and reprinted them. There are a few giveaways that indicate this is indeed the case. The first obvious thing I noticed was the 8th and 9th pages that Shueisha uploaded onto their MangaBroadcast website. On the page is the Dragon Ball cosmos, which was originally printed as a two-page spread in the prologue of Daizenshuu 4. If you look at the bottom of the main sphere, you'll notice the right and left halves don't quite line up and there's a quite discoloring typical of scanning a page near the binding. Since this image was originally digitally created based on Toriyama's original concept of the cosmos, then we know there at one point was a digital copy. Therefore, it must be the case that Shueisha no longer has the original full image and had to piece it together themselves by scanning it.

We then move on to the fact that all of the reprinted pages are slightly blurry. If you look closely, and you don't even need a magnifying glass for this, you'll notice that everything on the reprinted pages are slightly pixelated and blurry. Many of the solid colors aren't actually solid, but have hints of fading. The black inks aren't a true black, and this is all in comparison to the new original Chōzenshū pages, where the text is crisp and in true solid black. You'll also find many of the typical circular patterns present from scanning solid colors which are created by the ink printing process. Overall, the more you flip through the book, the more evident it becomes that they didn't reprint these pages from an existing digital copy, but rather scanned the pages from the original printed version of the book. It also makes sense when you consider all the typos and incorrect chapter numbers from the Daizenshuu are again in the Chōzenshū.

I guess a plus is that it's printed on high quality paper? :roll:
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 am

Yeah, overall I don't think the quality of the book suffers too badly, but it's definitely something you notice if you look close.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 am

... So Shueisha lost the original stuff.

GoKu.SaMa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GoKu.SaMa » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:11 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
IKR. I'm hoping Gohan can just add ssj on top of his mystic form.
The SSJ is a form and the Mystic is another form , he can't use both at the same time

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:32 am

Seeing as we're only about two weeks out from it, anyone have any leads on the cover art of volume 2? I'm betting it will have Daizenshuu 5's art. Any thoughts?

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:28 am

hleV wrote:... So Shueisha lost the original stuff.
Not shocking considering the amount of stuff they create year in and out.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:33 am

Hujio wrote:So here's the theory -- Shueisha no longer has access to the original copies of the Daizenshuu.
If that's true, seeing as it's very easy to believe, could that be the reason why Viz has never translated a
daizenshuu besides the Complete Illustrations (It's sort of a stretch, but...)?
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".