The Chōzenshū databook thread: speculation, discussion, etc.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

The Chōzenshū databook thread: speculation, discussion, etc.

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:41 pm

So, in the most recent V-Jump, we had the reveal of (at least) four new guidebooks coming our way under the "Chōzenshū" moniker:
V-Jump 2013 #2 (21 December 2012) wrote:『DRAGONBALL』のすべてを記す大図鑑!!
『DRAGONBALL超全集』も発売!!
★1巻…2013年2月4日(月)発売!!
★2巻…2013年3月4日(月)発売!!
★3巻…2013年4月4日(木)発売!!
★4巻…2013年5月9日(木)発売!!
(価格未定)
--
Big Illustrated References Telling All About Dragon Ball!!
The "Dragon Ball Chōzenshū" will also be released!!
★Vol. 1…On Sale 04 February 2013 (Mon.)!!
★Vol. 2…On Sale 04 March 2013 (Mon.)!!
★Vol. 3…On Sale 04 April 2013 (Thu.)!!
★Vol. 4…On Sale 09 May 2013 (Thu.)!!
(Price TBD)
So, this thread is for speculation about what they will be like and what they will contain, as well as discussion (and maybe some translation?) of their contents when they are eventually released.

I'll go first: With the name, it seems like they're intentionally trying to recall the Daizenshuu series, as well as suggest that these will be even "greater" than these. I'm wondering just what form they'll take, though, as well as how they'll divide up the information.

What are other people's hopes/predictions/etc.?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: The Chōzenshū databook thread: speculation, discussion,

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm hoping for concrete birthdays, just for the Hell of it. A look at how Kikuchi Shunsuke made his music for the series would be nice. Also, addressing any differences between previous guidebooks and the comic/cartoons would be nice. Finally, battle powers for after the Namek arc just to turn the fandom on its head.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:51 pm

I'm guessing these will be perhaps more accurate than the Daizenshuu. Perhaps updated with whatever Toriyama says nowadays. Maybe he made some new info regarding the Dragon World (and it's mythos). I really hope they expand on the God hierarchy, especially the Makaioshin stuff (and if the theories about Uisu being a Makaioshin are true....).
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:54 pm

It would be great to get some in-depth stuff on Freeza's race.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:56 pm

50% Recycled info from various guides seems about right. Perhaps even a less vague version of the Perfect Files? Inclusion of the new movie and other recent productions. Toriyama and voice actor interviews seem very likely. Uhhhh.... I dunno, new info would be cool but why would they do that?

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Not that it matters, but why do you translate "DRAGONBALL" to "Dragon Ball"?
As for the content of Chozenshuus, I can only hope for as much unknown/unconfirmed DB info as possible. Perhaps some details regarding Gohan's SSJ level against Dabra and the power comparison between Boo forms.
Last edited by hleV on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Well, for starters, I'm sure the books will contain a lot of stuff we already know, just reorganized and stuff. But, as with most longtime fans I'd be more interest in new material. So I hope we get some more new tidbits about characters and the universe itself, akin to the SEG's reveals of Mr. Satan's name, the Shinjin/Kaiju/Makaio(shin), etc.

Also, with Battle of Gods being released shortly before the third book, I'm hoping that at least one of them contains a section or two covering the new details from that film in a little bit of depth (assuming the film doesn't already do this with the presumably longer screen time). Give us some more info about the Hakaishin and, I guess, "Sozoshin" positions, maybe how they came about and why the characters were selected for those roles (similar to the Shinjin material in the SEG), as well as more on the Makaio(shin), or whatever Uisu turns out to be. Maybe throw in some design work from the movie, even if its stuff that didn't make it into the film (assuming the film doesn't show off the God of Creation, I want concept art! =P), from both Toriyama and the other staff. That sort of thing.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:17 pm

I wouldn't be averse to new behind-the-scenes information, such as the daily grind of our favorite weekly manga artists; give us a better sense of just how burned out he really was. Toriyama's just a one-of-a-kind guy; I would read a book of his ramblings if Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump don't already count.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:39 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Well, for starters, I'm sure the books will contain a lot of stuff we already know, just reorganized and stuff. But, as with most longtime fans I'd be more interest in new material. So I hope we get some more new tidbits about characters and the universe itself, akin to the SEG's reveals of Mr. Satan's name, the Shinjin/Kaiju/Makaio(shin), etc.

Also, with Battle of Gods being released shortly before the third book, I'm hoping that at least one of them contains a section or two covering the new details from that film in a little bit of depth (assuming the film doesn't already do this with the presumably longer screen time). Give us some more info about the Hakaishin and, I guess, "Sozoshin" positions, maybe how they came about and why the characters were selected for those roles (similar to the Shinjin material in the SEG), as well as more on the Makaio(shin), or whatever Uisu turns out to be. Maybe throw in some design work from the movie, even if its stuff that didn't make it into the film (assuming the film doesn't show off the God of Creation, I want concept art! =P), from both Toriyama and the other staff. That sort of thing.
Also, stuff from the specials of 2008, 2010 and Episode of Bardock would be nice
Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:06 am

Some official:

This is so unlikely XD

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:10 am

sonikku956 wrote:Some official:

This is so unlikely XD
Don't understand what you mean with canon
Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:14 am

sonikku956 wrote:Some official:

This is so unlikely XD
I dunno... there were plenty of those firing on Cell for a while there...

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:44 am

JulieYBM wrote:I'm hoping for concrete birthdays, just for the Hell of it.
Japanese fans eat up shit like birthdays and blood types. I'm surprised they haven't done this already.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:49 am

Not expecting much, tbh.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:31 am

penguintruth wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I'm hoping for concrete birthdays, just for the Hell of it.
Japanese fans eat up shit like birthdays and blood types. I'm surprised they haven't done this already.
I really hate that kind of stuff, so I hope they won't specify such info.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:50 am

kei17 wrote:I really hate that kind of stuff, so I hope they won't specify such info.
I wouldn't really mind the blood types and stuff, but I hope they just keep birthdays limited to the years unless they do through research to get them perfectly accurate. They'd probably ask Toriyama to come up with them though, and this late in the game, he could potentially fill the timeline with a lot of little and unnecessary contradictions.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:54 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I hope they just keep birthdays limited to the years unless they do through research to get them perfectly accurate.
How hard can it be to mess up? Like, were Goku's or Krillin's ages ever explicitly mentioned in the manga ever again after the 21st Budokai? Was Bulma's age ever explicitly stated again after the Pilaf arc? Their ages in the later parts of the series are only known due to basic mathematics. As long as the birthdays allow the ages to match the point when they were first mentioned, it seems like all should be fine.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:28 am

Generally worried more about the kids than the adults, even though their's could still create little inconsistencies (like depending on Goku's date of birth compared to how long it took his ship to get from Vegeta to Earth, when Gohan found him, the timeframe he met Bluma and participated in the Budokai, and the ages he said he was because of said conditions). They wouldn't actually be a big deal, and we could probably excuse all of them in the grand scheme of things with the standard "everyone gets a year older at the end of the year, regardless of the actual date of your birth (or when you were found)" reasoning that is used in Japan is also used in Dragon Ball, but they're just little potential issues that would irk me slightly and I'd rather they just be avoided since the years are good enough to serve the age telling purpose.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:24 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I hope they just keep birthdays limited to the years unless they do through research to get them perfectly accurate.
How hard can it be to mess up? Like, were Goku's or Krillin's ages ever explicitly mentioned in the manga ever again after the 21st Budokai? Was Bulma's age ever explicitly stated again after the Pilaf arc? Their ages in the later parts of the series are only known due to basic mathematics. As long as the birthdays allow the ages to match the point when they were first mentioned, it seems like all should be fine.
Gohan age was mentioned again, and it was messed up. And Bra has been given more than one age.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:42 am

Fox666 wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Gohan age was mentioned again, and it was messed up. And Bra has been given more than one age.
Weren't those both only mistakes in the English dubbed anime?
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".