VIZ 3-in-1 Editions Coming Summer 2013

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Re: VIZ 3-in-1 Editions Coming Summer 2013

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:14 am

fps_anth wrote:
Slickmasterfunk wrote:If they are truly using the Kanzenban cover, it is a terrible shame. I was at Barnes & Noble the other day and just out of curiosity I thumbed through the Naruto 3-in-1. It was awful. The paper was thin to the point that I felt nervous I'd rip it just turning the page, and you couldn't even call the paper white. The pages were a faded color like you would find in a book you've kept in a damp basement for years upon years. I've never seen or held a Kanzenban in person but these 3-in-1s are what I imagine the exact opposite would be.
You should try flipping through an issue of Weekly Shonen Jump sometime :lol:
Haha, haven't had the pleasure!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:54 am

Weekly Jump's paper: I'd compare it to pulp-type paper; it's got more texture than newsprint but less than typical recycled paper (actually, is Jump made from recycled paper? I don't remember) and the contrast isn't as high as it is in a collected volume of manga.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:45 pm

astarisborn94 wrote:Maybe we'll get a correct translation this time, but that doesn't seem likely at this point. That'd be the only reason why I would get this instead of waiting.
Oh man, that'd actually be an even bigger slap in the face, if you ask me. 'Hey guys, want a better translation of the manga? Here! Have it on this book with paper so thin you rip it with your very gaze.' :lol:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:39 pm

Is the paper really any worse than the SJ graphic novels? I flipped through one of the One Piece 3-in-1 volumes and it felt the same to me. It's just a LOT harder to navigate because of the immense number of pages. The book always feels like it's going to go flying out of your hands!
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:45 pm

bkev wrote:Is the paper really any worse than the SJ graphic novels? I flipped through one of the One Piece 3-in-1 volumes and it felt the same to me. It's just a LOT harder to navigate because of the immense number of pages. The book always feels like it's going to go flying out of your hands!
I can't vouch for the One Piece 3-in-1's specifically, but based on the FMA and Naruto ones I've looked at, the paper is a lot thinner. Were you not able to see the next couple of pages through any one page with the one you looked at? Maybe they did make the paper a little better in those, but I'm kind of doubting it.

The size thing though, yeah. :lol: I have that problem with even the VizBigs, or any overly large book really. That's a problem that I don't think can be fixed.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:50 pm

I do kinda question who this release is intended for. We've already had the Viz Big release which only cost three bucks more and that had high quality paper and a chunk of the color pages intact and are still in-print.

I'm mean, sure, you save the three bucks with this release but you lose the size, color pages and, most importantly, the paper quality. I just can't see these books lasting for very long.

At least with One Piece, Naruto, etc. those are far longer series than Dragon Ball and haven't been released in a format like this before so they kinda benefit from it.

astarisborn94

Post by astarisborn94 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:10 am

Wait, I saw this in another thread where someone asked if there was an uncensored English version available. In the same thread, there was this twitter update saying that the 3-to-1 version would be uncensored.

If this does come to pass, then at least something good came out of the 3-to-1 version.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Oh man, that'd actually be an even bigger slap in the face, if you ask me. 'Hey guys, want a better translation of the manga? Here! Have it on this book with paper so thin you rip it with your very gaze.
Can't really bring myself to agree, although I do see your point. At least with an unedited manga something that the fans want have finally come to pass, even if it means dealing with lower quality paper (although it sucks that it would come down to that). What would really suck is if the 3-to-1 version had the same error, so not only would it have lower quality paper, but also would be a redundant release.

I actually would buy a 3-to-1 version unedited Dragon Ball manga. Not just because it would be unedited, but because my only exposure to the manga was the 9th DBZ volume and I'm looking forward to eventually getting the manga.
Last edited by astarisborn94 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:21 am

astarisborn94 wrote:this twitter update saying that the 3-to-1 version would be uncensored.
If it's completely uncensored then AW YEAH, THANKS OBAMA! WOO!

There's also the Ocean dub coming out on DVD again, so we're getting the manga uncut finally, and the anime edited again, how strange.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:48 am

astarisborn94 wrote:In the same thread, there was this twitter update saying that the 3-to-1 version would be uncensored.
... So the worst-quality release gets the best treatment?

Not sure whether to be happy or to continue echoing the "slap in the face" comments...

This seems to contradict what they said earlier about the "VizBigs being available for the collectors" and these 3-in-1's being available for casual fans. Why are the collectors getting the censored release? So they we'll "collect" the 3-in-1's as well? Besides, why are they suddenly switching to an unedited release after years of maintaining and revising their edits? It makes no sense. For that matter, what's their definition of "unedited?" I'm sure we won't be getting a retranslation, but some of the name changes and stuff are indeed edits. Do they just mean the artwork? If that's true, will we be getting Japanese sound effects? The whole shebang?

Not to sound ungrateful, but one little tweet brings about so many questions...
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:09 am

Omg! What are Viz doing! I can't believe they are gonna make me buy this shit release! :|

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:59 am

Viz really uses this shit paper? Even cheaper comic issues are released on low gramage G-print or chalk paper here :shock:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:39 am

Damnit, if they're really putting the best content in the shitty release, than that was a wise business move but I don't bloody like it. Maybe if they're finally producing an unedited version now, it'll be released in a better format in a few years?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:26 am

I still can't understand, as I work in publishing house, how they still can make profit with plethora of releases and each of them is shit quality from different points of view.....
Best print I saw is Vizbig, but the graphics inside are little distorted, like they upscaled it for bigger picture from smaller resolution and the bookbinding is destruction-friendly.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:17 am

Is the paper quality really that bad?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:18 am

Damn... I was wanting to get the Vizbigs sometime soon, but now I don't know what to do... :crazy:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:24 am

If they improve the translation and stop screwing with the characters names I'll be sold. Actually I'll probably be buying it regardless. :|

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:31 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Damn... I was wanting to get the Vizbigs sometime soon, but now I don't know what to do... :crazy:
Well, I allready bought them like week before this anouncement hahaha :lol:

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:22 pm

If "three-in-one" is the point of these, will volumes 16, 17 and 18 be packed together, creating a bridge between the first 16 volumes and "Z"?

On another note, what if "unedited" just means, "the content is that from our previous releases, unedited"?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:23 pm

So it actually is looking like the 3-in-1's will be uncensored (albeit with the same old scripts probably)? Ack, they really just have to make these seem more appealing one way or another, don't they...

I'm not falling into this pit of re-purchase this time though. I'll finish my VizBig collection and be done with it.
Twitter

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:34 pm

I have to wonder if they only mean no additional censorship. Goku's junk has never been censored out of the graphic novels, and that's specifically what the tweet referred to. We'll wait and see, I guess.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]