VIZ 3-in-1 Editions Coming Summer 2013

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: VIZ 3-in-1 Editions Coming Summer 2013

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:One thing I do like about these is that they use the Kanzenban covers (even if they aren't using all of them.) Too bad it isn't the Kanzenban pages in between those nice covers. :problem:
Maybe they can do a hardcover release?

Whats weird is that the Kanzenban covers are mat except for the characters, which I never knew lol

Got this reply about a reprint on 3-in-1 vol 1 uncut
Not at the moment, but there is a good chance that it will have a second printing sometime before the end of the year.

rzerox21xx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by rzerox21xx » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:59 pm

Hello, I'm asking for people other than myself that purchased volume 6 of the 3-in-1 which contains volume 16, 17, and 18. I got mine from rightstuf and well the title pages for volume 18 are missing. the title page gallery stops at the last chapter of volume 17. anyone else has the problem? Should I get a replacement copy? Do you think Viz will put the missing title pages on the next 3-in-1?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:07 pm

Both Vol. 6's I have stop at Chapter 204: Sayonara Goku. Does not seem right...
My guess is that they messed up because this is the first time Dragon Ball (and Z) have been released in the same volume and they've been using (what I guess based off the vol. 1 issue) Viz bigs to print off of.

The Dialogue also appears to be censored....

I might ask VIZ about this on their facebook since these are "uncut" but so far everything I've posted about are about these 3-in-1's lol..not really a big deal but would be nice since they've printed cursing before

Edit: Yep, I'd say they printed the 3-in-1 which makes me wonder what the future volumes will be like (http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=17071 used this as a guide and source)

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Really wish Viz didn't censor the manga. I purchased the Full Colors Saiyan Arc thinking I would get the same dialogue it had in the originals I had. Oh well.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Just figured out the art in the latest volume is censored as well (Gohan after turning back into a human). They did it again.. which makes me wonder how many times this will happen...

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:51 am

Well, so much for uncut! I can take or leave their removal of the cursing, but the art edits are blatant false advertising. It's a shame, too, because I was thinking about getting these.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:48 am

These edits are really silly because those who're buying it are adults (and possibly teens) so they shouldn't be worried about kids since they're not interested in buying this, they'd rather watch whatever's on Disney Channel, Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:03 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:These edits are really silly because those who're buying it are adults (and possibly teens) so they shouldn't be worried about kids since they're not interested in buying this, they'd rather watch whatever's on Disney Channel, Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon.
I think kids watch the anime more, but I think some might also like to read the manga considering libraries have them.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Apologies for the late bump but I was curious... Since this is finally being released as one series did Viz redo the chapter titles? Like, did the numbering carry over to the Saiyan arc from the Piccolo Jr. arc?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:57 pm

Brad Redfield wrote:Apologies for the late bump but I was curious... Since this is finally being released as one series did Viz redo the chapter titles? Like, did the numbering carry over to the Saiyan arc from the Piccolo Jr. arc?
Correct, these have the original chapter numbering now :)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Got this reply from VIZ about the corrected vol 1 release

"It's going to come very soon. We ran out of stock of the first printing. We'll be sure to make an announcement when the second printing is available."

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:09 pm

Does anyone know if they do the same stuff with other manga, or is it just Dragon Ball? I was thinking about picking up One Piece, but it seems like VIZ can't release anything without messing it up.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:05 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:Does anyone know if they do the same stuff with other manga, or is it just Dragon Ball? I was thinking about picking up One Piece, but it seems like VIZ can't release anything without messing it up.
There are a lot of nit-picky complaints about the One Piece release, like that at the beginning it was heavy with pirate lingo and using the word "Kami" instead of "God" in Skypea. The biggest issue people have is Zoro is named "Zolo" in the Viz releases, which I think came from worries about legal issues or something. But all that stuff was from the earlier days, and now the translations are great. Zoro is still Zolo for consistency's sake, but that's really not too obtrusive in being able to enjoy the otherwise good releases. The translator Stephen Paul is an active part of the OP fan community and before working on the official release, his translated scripts were often pointed to by fans as the gold standard.

There are OP 3-in-ones, but they are lower quality paper as well. The regular volumes are similar in quality to Dragon Ball/Z's single volumes.

Censorship does not seem to be an issue. There's an occasional "Damn" or whatever and there isn't any nudity or that sort of thing to cover up in OP anyway. Do you think that there's a difference in the fact that even though OP is definitely rising in popularity in America, it is still within the niche of manga fans, while Viz are still trying to get Dragon Ball out to the "general" public? Dragon Ball has also had issues in school libraries, which Viz is probably sensitive about...

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:28 pm

I think part of the problem come from laziness. I mean, I for the latest volumes, one missed panel of Gohan is acceptable because I missed it my first reading through but to leave the editor notes about events that happened a few chapter back because they split the story (DB and DBZ) is kind of annoying (especially since they fixed the chapter numbers)

Also, Amazon has listed a release date for Volume 9. June 2, 2015

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:19 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:Does anyone know if they do the same stuff with other manga, or is it just Dragon Ball? I was thinking about picking up One Piece, but it seems like VIZ can't release anything without messing it up.
As mentioned above, Viz's One Piece is perfectly fine. It's by no means perfect, but it translates into English very well. "Zolo" is negligible, "Kami" is the only real glaring translation choice, and there are a couple of 4Kids terms that stuck into the earlier volumes, but it's completely uncensored and the actual translation is quite accurate, even more so in the post-Skypeia volumes. Worth picking up if you have the chunk of change.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:46 pm

Since the next volume is coming up, is there any censorship to look out for in volumes 19, 20 & 21 (3,4&5)?

I dont expect to see translation or text censorship fixed but list em here just in case :D

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:10 pm

*wrong topic
Last edited by dbboxkaifan on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:53 pm

I think you posted in the wrong thread...
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:03 am

Not too bad

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:50 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Not too bad

So Viz has postponed the Full Colour comics for the 3-in-1 too bad that the 3-in-1 isn't high quality or everyone here at Kanzenshuu would be praising it.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray