VIZ 3-in-1 Editions Coming Summer 2013

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

VIZ 3-in-1 Editions Coming Summer 2013

Post by the original ero-sennin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:18 pm

In the 2013 Shonen Jump Alpha yearbook there is Creator Spotlight featuring Akira Toriyama. In this spotlight there is an announcement of an upcoming 3-in-1 edition of DragonBall slated for a Summer 2013 release. I just checked, and the current editions of the VIZBIG releases are all back in print and available to purchase on Amazon, so I don't think this is just a reprint of those books.

I'm hoping we get more accurate translations, more colored pages (like the Kanzenban), and hopefully no more edits. We've waited too long for a competent release of the manga in English.

Does anyone have any details regarding this release?
Last edited by the original ero-sennin on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: New VIZBIG Editions in Summer 2013

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:21 pm

If it's actually a new printing with better translations, maybe it's a good thing I haven't picked up the rest of the VizBigs yet...
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:32 pm

As I am now, I'm not in the market for a re-release (got the viz singles as they came out, then kanzenbans) so the only possible thing that could grab my interest with these would be a new, accurate translation.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:56 pm

Yeah, it's something we both know about and know nothing about. There was this panel report back in October that mentioned the same thing. I reached out to a few folks at Viz asking to clarify what the heck it might be (re-release of the same thing? something new?), but no-one ever got back to me. Total mystery, but I'm leaning toward a reprint... but why advertise it as new...?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Did a quick Google and came across these:

http://search.simonandschuster.com/book ... i3m/Ne-pgt

Nothing new but shows potential release dates, makes me wonder is it usual to release so far apart? Especially for re-prints.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:14 pm

My Hopes: A brand new version of the VizBig editions with *some* sort of improvements over past releases. While I highly doubt they'd re-translate everything (has Viz ever done that for any of their series?), the inclusion of the remaining color pages might actually persuade me to double-dip. Out of the 54 manga chapters that feature color pages, the current VizBigs are missing certain (if not all) full-color and red-&-grey scale pages in about 22 chapters, by my count, and that's not even counting the colored title pages they missed. If they include the remaining color pages or actually improve their script translations (snowball's chance in hell, I know), I'd be more than happy to support a re-release.

My Fears: A wave of those flimsy, black-and-white "3-In-1" volumes that they gave Naruto and One Piece, among others. Just... please, no. But that's actually what I'm thinking will happen, what with the ad specifically referring to it as a "3-In-1" edition and all. That's probably why these are being advertised as a "new" release, separate from the VizBigs.

Yeah, my mindset is leading more and more toward "black-and white, 3-In-1 release."

*continues importing Kanzenban volumes*
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Dear god, I forgot all about those craptastic 3-in-1 editions that they put out for some titles (I think that's what FMA got as well sadly)...if that's what's on the way, then I highly recommend anyone like me who doesn't have the manga yet gets the VizBigs fast, or even the old single volumes - because you do NOT want three-in-ones like those are. I'm not exactly a stickler for paper quality, but the paper in the Naruto ones I've seen are so bad that you can see the next page through any given page, and they're so thin it feels like you're going to rip a page just by turning it. They're awful.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:34 pm

God damn it, I JUST got DBZ Vol. 1.... Now it seems I'll have to wait and see what this is all about.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Yeah, best case scenario is the full color manga that Japan is getting, worst is those small 3 in 1 with the newsprint quality paper.

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:13 pm

>no Dragon Ball VizBIG re-release

Aww. Oh well :(

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:31 pm

the original ero-sennin wrote:We've waited too long for a competent release of the manga in English.
Honestly, we already have a competent release of the manga in English. The Viz release has problems, and obviously an improved version would always be welcome, but as-is we've got a generally accurate translation with a few occasional edits. I don't like the inaccurate bits or the edits (and have gone through some effort to document them), but I think it's gotten to the point where the faults with Viz are extremely overemphasized.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:41 pm

sonikku956 wrote:>no Dragon Ball VizBIG re-release

Aww. Oh well :(
The picture says "Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z".

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:35 pm

Hopefully no more "Chi", thats always bugged me for some reason.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:06 pm

In a recent Manga UK podcast, a representative of VIZ Media UK mentioned that the UK was getting a 3 in 1 release of DragonBall in 2013. I assumed it was just the VizBIGs. It could just be that.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/ ... 1-schedule

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Herms wrote:I don't like the inaccurate bits or the edits (and have gone through some effort to document them), but I think it's gotten to the point where the faults with Viz are extremely overemphasized.
Is your documentation of the edits published on the site?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:45 pm

AHHHHH SHIT!!! I just bought first two vizbigs of Dragon Ball, after like two years of thinking, if I should wait for something better or get them.....
So I'll get these two and they will be all released againg and done better?????
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:41 pm

:o Maybe I'll finally get my collection of Z after all!

But then, there's the colour manga being published that I have to watch out for as well...
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:48 pm

Oh, so it's only Z?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:15 pm

MCDaveG wrote:Oh, so it's only Z?
I think it's Dragon Ball as well, but I already have all those volumes. All I need is Z.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:20 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Dear god, I forgot all about those craptastic 3-in-1 editions[\b] that they put out for some titles (I think that's what FMA got as well sadly)...if that's what's on the way, then I highly recommend anyone like me who doesn't have the manga yet gets the VizBigs[\b] fast, or even the old single volumes - because you do NOT want three-in-ones like those are. I'm not exactly a stickler for paper quality, but the paper in the Naruto ones I've seen are so bad that you can see the next page through any given page, and they're so thin it feels like you're going to rip a page just by turning it. They're awful.

Wait, aren't those the same thing? :?
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump