Do you think someone will die in Battle of Gods?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Do you think someone will die in Battle of Gods?

Post by Bussani » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:11 am

Well...that is true. I guess we're taking for granted that permanent death would be permanent. :eh:
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:15 am

What? The Hakaishin erased someone from existence!? That' won't do! Time to call in the Sozoshin and have him revived! Gokuuuu, time to track down the God of Creation! And no, you can't fight him...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:45 am

Bils "permanently" kills someone, Goku snaps and kills him, and then Shenron is able to revive said victim anyway. Why?

"Oh when Bils said permanent, he didn't know about the Dragon Balls".

Everybody laughs and then the credits roll.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:58 am

Don't think that version would work. Goku did say that the Dragon Balls couldn't revive Vegeta if he died a second time versus Buu, which is basically what we're saying Birusu can do by killing them once, nay?

Buuuut, then again, while I don't want to jump to conclusions, we may not be getting reasons for the whole Gohan's hair or Kaio being alive on his planet situations. So, they'd probably just do whatever they wanted anyway. :P
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:08 am

Well, no-one who is seen in the end of Z can die. So only one or both from the new villains will die.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:49 am

MCDaveG wrote:Well, no-one who is seen in the end of Z can die. So only one or both from the new villains will die.
Oh, that's a good point. That's actually part of the manga so those people can't be gone for good.
Saiga wrote:A permanent death ability sounds nice, but if that was the case I highly doubt anybody would be killed. Then again, I highly doubt anyone is going to be killed anyway. :P As far as I remember, none of the good guys ever die in the movies, do they?
And this is exactly why having someone get killed would make it more interesting for me. If we expect nobody to die because it's a Dragon Ball movie and then someone dies after all, wouldn't that be sort of awesome. What if, for example, Bils and Whis threaten to kill Dende? Or, god forbid, kill him outright? :p Still, they could always bring him back with the Namekian Dragon Balls, but (again) to me that would make it more interesting :p

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:21 am

The problem is that they are alive around Uub's tournament.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:08 am

Like everyone's saying, dying is something that's completely lost any dramatic effect it's ever had (which only made it hysterical in GT with Kuririn, 'cuz how on Earth are you supposed to feel anything at that point?).

I also like what people are implying where you can still do something that gets that same kind of "OH SHIT...!" emotional effect that totally upends everything in some way. You just can't do it by killing anyone anymore.

What if one of the friends totally betrayed everyone, though? Even then I feel like it's been quasi-done before with Vegeta going under Babidi's charm, and he still got "fixed" and accepted back into the group. Goku's too trusting and willing to forgive for anyone to be kicked to the wayside and totally ostracized.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:56 am

Something could happen with Tenshinhan, if I remember correctly he doesn't appear in the epilogue of Z.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:57 am

Sin wrote:Something could happen with Tenshinhan, if I remember correctly he doesn't appear in the epilogue of Z.
He appears in the final "Good Bye!" picture.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:02 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Sin wrote:Something could happen with Tenshinhan, if I remember correctly he doesn't appear in the epilogue of Z.
He appears in the final "Good Bye!" picture.
Ah right, this is why I hate prequels/films that occur between times. Nothing can happen that we don't already know the outcome to, I really wish this had been set after the epilogue so they could have played around with things a bit more.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:41 am

Maybe Chaotzu dies, and we can finally have an Ooolong resurgence.
Vegeta's pride erase has already been done, Broccoli made him weep like a willow.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:38 pm

MCDaveG wrote:Well, no-one who is seen in the end of Z can die. So only one or both from the new villains will die.
They can't permanently die, but they can die and be resurrected in time for the end of Z of course :p

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:00 pm

I agree that killing off a character won't really have any impact when they can just be brought back by the Dragon Balls, and even offering the option of a permanent death because of Bils' nature or something would only go so far...but hey, it'd be something new at least, for the characters at the very least, to be worried that they may actually not get to come back this time around.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:15 pm

worldmonsters wrote:
They can't permanently die, but they can die and be resurrected in time for the end of Z of course :p
They already all died at the end of the Buu Saga, you can't be wished back twice, right?
Krillin plot-hole.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:30 pm

That's true, so I guess that does give it some stakes. I can't really remember what the rules for using Porunga to wish them back post-Buu are though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Well.. they could always use the Black-Star Dragon Balls.

But really, I'm not sure on the powers of Shen Long and Porunga. Wasn't Shen Long 'upgraded' just before the Boo arc?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:45 pm

Shen Long can't bring a person back to life more than once (he can't repeat wishes in general more than once). Porunga, on the other hand, can repeat wishes many times without a limit, so he can bring back to life a person more than once. And if Porunga has brought someone back to life once, it doesn't mean that Shen Long can't bring the same person back after Porunga. As long as Shen Long himself hasn't brought someone back to life before, he can bring the person only once. So, most of the Earth population can be brought back by Shen Long, except for Bora, Kuririn, Kame Sennin, Chaozu, Goku, Vegeta, Future Trunks, all the Namekians (except for those who where born after migrating to New Namek, if any) and Cell's victims.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:00 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Shen Long can't bring a person back to life more than once (he can't repeat wishes in general more than once). Porunga, on the other hand, can repeat wishes many times without a limit, so he can bring back to life a person more than once. And if Porunga has brought someone back to life once, it doesn't mean that Shen Long can't bring the same person back after Porunga. As long as Shen Long himself hasn't brought someone back to life before, he can bring the person only once. So, most of the Earth population can be brought back by Shen Long, except for Bora, Kuririn, Kame Sennin, Chaozu, Goku, Vegeta, Future Trunks, all the Namekians (except for those who where born after migrating to New Namek, if any) and Cell's victims.
Are you sure Shenron can bring back the people revived by Porunga? Gohan doesn't seem to think Tenshinhan can be revived at the Cell Games.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:15 pm

We already know no one's going to die in this movie because we've seen what happens ten years later and everyone's alive. I'd bet solid money they're trying not to step on GT's toes either.

I guess someone could die and be wished back before the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, but isn't that the same no-consequences nonsense with the addition of being stupid?
Gokuden wrote:They already all died at the end of the Buu Saga, you can't be wished back twice, right?
Krillin plot-hole.
Wait, what plot hole is this? Kuririn is resurrected once by Shen-Long and twice by Porunga. And one more tme by crazy rule-breaking Shen-Long at the end of GT if you want to bring that up, which I don't have a problem with.